Author Topic: Soilwork Appreciation  (Read 49103 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Soilwork Appreciation
« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2016, 03:39:38 PM »
I think cause it was a 5 song 20 odd minute EP didn't help.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2016, 01:52:41 AM »
So Dirk leaves permanently for Megadeth!  :tdwn
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2016, 05:20:57 AM »
So Dirk leaves permanently for Megadeth!  :tdwn

Yeah, that's shit.  I guess you have to go where the money is, so hopefully he can stay with them for a while.  Would be shit if he quits Soilwork only to last a year or so in Megadeth.

A blow for Soilwork too, but they have shown they can overcome these types of important lineup changes, so they will be fine.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
Man, just having a rediscovery of this band after being a bit tired of metal in general for a while.

The song Enter Dog of Pavlov just has to be their most awesome track, from front to back what a banger that is.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
Man, just having a rediscovery of this band after being a bit tired of metal in general for a while.

The song Enter Dog of Pavlov just has to be their most awesome track, from front to back what a banger that is.
Nice, that's a good one. Haven't actually heard TPB in ages.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »

Nice, that's a good one. Haven't actually heard TPB in ages.

The album gets a bit samey in the middle, but it's a pleasure to listen to the production I think. What a step up from Sworn to a Great Divide it was in that department.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »

Saw your post, instantly clicked Spotify and went ahead and listened Night Comes Clean and The Akuma Afterglow. Love this Band!

Soilwork was my introduction to melodic death metal, and other extreme metal in general. And while the extreme metal phase left me, Soilwork and couple of other bands stayed with me!

I should also catch up with Soilwork, since i haven't listened to them in a little bit. Pretty excited about the new Soilwork music that is supposedly coming next year!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »

Saw your post, instantly clicked Spotify and went ahead and listened Night Comes Clean and The Akuma Afterglow. Love this Band!

Soilwork was my introduction to melodic death metal, and other extreme metal in general. And while the extreme metal phase left me, Soilwork and couple of other bands stayed with me!

I should also catch up with Soilwork, since i haven't listened to them in a little bit. Pretty excited about the new Soilwork music that is supposedly coming next year!

That's awesome. :) I've listened to quite a lot of those styles as well, but nowadays I'm not such a fan of the typical 'overproduced' metal sound. Soilwork is one of the exceptions, even though an album like The Living Infinite has that typical sound. They're obviously good composers and vary quite a lot from album to album. Natural Born Chaos is another favorite of mine, possibly partly because of Devin Townsend's vocal production there. Black Star Deceiver is also such a good track (with guest vocals from Devin).

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2018, 08:54:43 AM »
Thread Bump!

Soilwork is back!

New album will be called "Verkligheten". Full track listing can be seen on their Facebook page. Tomi Joutsen will be guest starring on the album. Also the new song, "Arrival" kicks ass!

https://youtu.be/nuItul-D0PA
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:05:47 AM by Polarbear »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2018, 09:06:42 AM »
YES!   :metal

I've been on a huge Soilwork kick since I saw them two years ago - my favorite of the Swedish melo-death bands.  Love the guest vocalist choices.  The new song sounds great!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #220 on: October 12, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »
Modified my original post.

Only Blabbermouth is claiming that Dave Sheldon and Alissa White-Gluz are appearing on the album. No mention of them in other outlets. I don't know what's going on with that...

But Tomi Joutsen is 100% confirmed!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »
Sounding good! I mean it's a pretty typical Soilwork song really so it doesn't say too much about what the album will be like, but it's solid.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: October 15, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »
Thread Bump!

Soilwork is back!

New album will be called "Verkligheten". Full track listing can be seen on their Facebook page. Tomi Joutsen will be guest starring on the album. Also the new song, "Arrival" kicks ass!

https://youtu.be/nuItul-D0PA

This is very good.  Great mix of styles and even has hints of old old Soilwork with some of Bjorn's deeper vocals there.  Looking forward to this one.  TRM may have become my fav Soilwork album, it's going to be hard to top.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #223 on: October 15, 2018, 07:08:35 PM »
Really really looking forward to his one! I was a fan of them then lost track of them and started listened to them after The Ride Majestic, I love their last two albums, the single sounds great to me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2018, 07:08:36 AM »
Love the new single, solid music as always with Soilwork. At this point you really know what to get from Soilwork and I love that. No fuzz but top quality melodic death metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: October 26, 2018, 02:52:59 AM »
New single Full Moon Shoals is up on spotify.

That's a bit...diffrent but I like it.

Sidenote: Found a song i've never heard:

Forever lost in vain

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #226 on: October 26, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »
New single Full Moon Shoals is up on spotify.

That's a bit...diffrent but I like it.

Sidenote: Found a song i've never heard:

Forever lost in vain

Yeah, different but good!

This song and the likes of "Death in General" or "Antidotes in Passing" are perfect examples how their (Björn's) songwriting has matured over the last few years. I'm sure there are some aggressive songs on the album too! "Arrival" was pretty heavy so this bodes for a pretty diverse album.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2018, 12:06:08 AM »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #228 on: October 28, 2018, 01:55:53 AM »
Really like the song, though I would have never picked the opening riffs as Soilwork.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: October 28, 2018, 05:05:35 AM »
Wow, that was really something different from Soilwork.  At the start I wasn't so sure but by the end I realised how far their songwriting has come and they are having the knack in writing some really mature, well constructed memorable songs.

The record label however was very smart in releasing Arrival first though or else this would have people worried.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #230 on: October 30, 2018, 08:00:44 PM »
I kept forgetting that this video was out for Full Moon Shoals.  This is a strange song, but I like it.  The Night Flight Orchestra influence is seeping into Soilwork, but I don't think that's a bad thing.  Love the fast middle section. 

Their songwriting really has advanced since The Living Infinite, and their lineup is incredibly strong despite some changes at bass and Bastian replacing Dirk.  Anxious to hear more from the new disc!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2018, 08:13:39 PM »
I hope Sylvain gets more solos on this new record.  Andersson has great solos and melodies but I like Sylvain's style a lot.  He only got like 3 or 4 solos on the Ride Majestic and that was the only negative for me, I wish it was more balanced.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2018, 02:20:50 AM »
I gotta say, I think David and Sylvain are my favorite guitar duo in the bands history! I loved Peter Wichers in guitar, but David and Sylvain have constantly delivered on the last two records. I also like the new guy in the drums. Filling Dirk's boots must have been difficult, but Bastian seems to be settling in really well.

Soilwork's lineup has changed more times than anyone can count, but I think they might finally have a really stable lineup in their hands. Ola Flink was really great in bass, so I kinda wish he was still around. But in the end, it's Björn's band all the way.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2018, 03:25:47 AM »
Yea the new guy is definitely a good replacement for Dirk. I'm a bit annoyed of how uptight his face and posture is, he looks so tense even though I know that's probably him being very focused. Just let lose a bit why don't you.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2018, 05:25:44 AM »
I gotta say, I think David and Sylvain are my favorite guitar duo in the bands history! I loved Peter Wichers in guitar, but David and Sylvain have constantly delivered on the last two records. I also like the new guy in the drums. Filling Dirk's boots must have been difficult, but Bastian seems to be settling in really well.

Soilwork's lineup has changed more times than anyone can count, but I think they might finally have a really stable lineup in their hands. Ola Flink was really great in bass, so I kinda wish he was still around. But in the end, it's Björn's band all the way.

I don't think anything will ever beat Peter and Ola for me

Offline Grappler

« Reply #235 on: October 31, 2018, 06:30:40 AM »
I have a full fledged man crush on Sylvain.  He was so much fun to watch when I saw them live two years ago, completely rocking out and raging while never missing a note.  They were completely on fire and crushed, despite playing a short headlining set.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: November 11, 2018, 11:40:03 AM »
Not that it's particularly hard too look up but if anyone wonders "Verkligheten" means Reality in swedish.

Anyway, i'm really interested in hearing Stålfågel (Steelbird) feat Alissa White-Gluz.

Edit: grammar
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:50:31 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
Not that it's particularly hard too look up but if anyone wonders "Verkligheten" means Reality in swedish.

Anyway, i'm really interested in hearing Stålfågel (Stealbird) feat Alissa White-Gluz.

I'm keen for the whole album.  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2018, 05:53:33 AM »
Yea i'm pumped for this. After 2 splendid albums though, can they really nail a 3:rd?
Let's just say, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.  :tup

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2018, 06:05:07 AM »
Yes, I'm also very excited for this album. Two songs they have released so far were rock solid.

Were Alissa White-Gluz and Dave Sheldon confirmed? There were some conflicting reports at first, when there was no mention of them in their official press release. Some other websites were first to report the inclusion of White-Gluz and Sheldon on the album..

I don't know what was up with that, but Tomi Joutsen, Alissa White-Gluz and Dave Sheldon are a killer lineup of guest vocalists!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2018, 07:45:29 AM »
If you can trust wiki, they're on the album atleast.

1.   "Verkligheten" (instrumental)
2.   "Arrival"
3.   "Bleeder Despoiler"
4.   "Full Moon Shoals"
5.   "The Nurturing Glance"
6.   "When the Universe Spoke"
7.   "Stålfågel" (featuring Alissa White-Gluz)
8.   "The Wolves Are Back in Town"
9.   "Witan"
10.   "The Ageless Whisper"
11.   "Needles and Kin" (featuring Tomi Joutsen)
12.   "You Aquiver" (featuring Dave Sheldon)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »
From NB Media Lounge site;

The limited first edition of the CD version of the album will feature different special artwork (see above) with a lavish foil print and will include 4 more tracks.

Tracklist »Verkligheten«

01. Verkligheten
02. Arrival
03. Bleeder Despoiler
04. Full Moon Shoals
05. The Nurturing Glance
06. When The Universe Spoke
07. Stålfågel
08. The Wolves Are Back In Town
09. Witan
10. The Ageless Whisper
11. Needles And Kin (feat. Tomi Joutsen)
12. You Aquiver

»Underworld« Bonus EP
13. Summerburned And Winterblown
14. In This Master’s Tale
15. The Undying Eye
16. Needles And Kin (original version)

No mention of any other guests apart from Tomi J.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #242 on: November 12, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »
Definitely excited for this album! TRM was amazing.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: November 12, 2018, 01:24:35 PM »

The limited first edition of the CD version of the album will feature different special artwork (see above) with a lavish foil print and will include 4 more tracks.

Tracklist »Verkligheten«

01. Verkligheten
02. Arrival
03. Bleeder Despoiler
04. Full Moon Shoals
05. The Nurturing Glance
07. Stålfågel
09. Witan
10. The Ageless Whisper
12. You Aquiver

»Underworld« Bonus EP
15. The Undying Eye

:tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2018, 02:41:06 PM »

Tracklist »Verkligheten«

01. Verkligheten
02. Arrival
03. Bleeder Despoiler
04. Full Moon Shoals
05. The Nurturing Glance
07. Stålfågel
09. Witan
10. The Ageless Whisper
12. You Aquiver

»Underworld« Bonus EP
15. The Undying Eye

This edition is a must have.