Author Topic: Speculation - Myung Riffs on BCSL?  (Read 4298 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Speculation - Myung Riffs on BCSL?
« on: March 19, 2010, 08:25:42 PM »
Are there any riffs on BCSL that don't sound like they were written by JP or JR? For what it's worth, here's a list of confirmed Myung riffs/grooves I know of:

- The bass groove under the final guitar solo in Lie
 - The riff for the "back on my feet again" section of Strange Deja Vu
 - The riff under the BTL trumpet solo

Based on this really limited sample, it seems like Myung's riffs have a really rapid tension and release in them. The same overall characteristics can be heard in his bass grooves in general, and in his improvisations such as Moonbubbles and Solar Groove.

So in my search through BCSL to find an example of Myung's writing, I came up mostly empty. Except for one riff:

"LET ME INTRODUCE
MY BROTHER!!!"

Yep, that one.It's all just speculation, but if Myung wrote anything on BCSL, that feels the most obvious. Moves really quickly and not a lot of sustained tone.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Speculation - Myung Riffs on BCSL?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
Intro to AROP?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:30:21 PM »
Intro to AROP?

Simply because the bass is so prominent, you have to wonder. That whole song gives what for him is an abnormally large compositional space.

Also, the 5/4 solo riff in ANTR kinda sounds like his writing.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »
I wish the band/JMX himself would elaborate more on what he was doing during the writing sessions. It's just shrouded in mystery...

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
John is dead man, miss him, miss him, miss him

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 06:12:32 AM »
He's my favourite member of the band, I just wish he'd add more to it, or tell us what he's already added  :P
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Tuneman

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »
I dont get how a you can be that talented of a musician in a band like dream theater and not write all of your baselines.  I just doesn't make sense why he would allow it.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:31:54 PM »
Jordan gave away that they wrote the album as a trio (JP/JR/MP) in an interview, so you're not likely to find anything written by JM on it.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »
Jordan gave away that they wrote the album as a trio (JP/JR/MP) in an interview, so you're not likely to find anything written by JM on it.

No wonder why it sounds like LTE with vocals :P
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:08:48 PM »

Another odd post. BC&SL sounds like LTE? Am I missing something?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:10:31 PM »

Another odd post. BC&SL sounds like LTE? Am I missing something?
I don't get it either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »
Yep, but it has no Tony Levin, that's why it doesn't sound that much like LTE.  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »
Yep, but it has no Tony Levin, that's why it doesn't sound that much like LTE.  :biggrin:
That, and the fact that it doesn't sound like LTE at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
That, and the fact that it doesn't sound like LTE at all.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »

Then why would he still has a credit on all those five songs? It doesn't make any sense, I think that JR meant that JP/JR/MP wrote majority of the album not every note and arrangement and everything of the whole album... And I saw that interview BTW

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 09:06:06 PM »
From everything I've heard over the last few years, there's very little contribution from JM at all these days. From what I gather he also just shows up for shows, plays, and then leaves again.
So yeah, I don't think anything on BCSL is from him.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 09:13:12 PM »
From everything I've heard over the last few years, there's very little contribution from JM at all these days. From what I gather he also just shows up for shows, plays, and then leaves again.

rumborak

That's a sad thought... I'd like to know as much as everyone else how much JMX contributes to the album-writing process these days, but I wouldn't want to pester anyone in the band about it to the point that it becomes annoying and irritating for them. I believe that, no matter how much JMX writes or doesn't write, the band AND Myung are comfortable with what they are doing at this point in their career. If he didn't want to be there or felt like he wasn't getting enough input, he'd probably let them know. He may be quiet, but I doubt he's a push-over.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 09:49:52 PM »
If he didn't want to be there or felt like he wasn't getting enough input, he'd probably let them know.
This for sure.  Personally, I'd love to see more input from him.  But if he's OK with how things are going now, then that's really all there is to it.  And apparently, he is.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53:59 PM »

rumborak

That's a sad thought... I'd like to know as much as everyone else how much JMX contributes to the album-writing process these days, but I wouldn't want to pester anyone in the band about it to the point that it becomes annoying and irritating for them. I believe that, no matter how much JMX writes or doesn't write, the band AND Myung are comfortable with what they are doing at this point in their career. If he didn't want to be there or felt like he wasn't getting enough input, he'd probably let them know. He may be quiet, but I doubt he's a push-over.

-Marc.
This.

And rumborak, I did not have this impression when I saw the PN show. He seemed to really enjoy playing and at the end of the show he was smiling to the crowd and seemed quite happy so I don't think he comes to play the shows and leave. He may not contribute to the writing process anymore, but I'm pretty sure he still enjoys playing and touring.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 09:12:32 AM »
And rumborak, I did not have this impression when I saw the PN show. He seemed to really enjoy playing and at the end of the show he was smiling to the crowd and seemed quite happy so I don't think he comes to play the shows and leave. He may not contribute to the writing process anymore, but I'm pretty sure he still enjoys playing and touring.

I think you got me wrong here. I'm not saying JM isn't enjoying the playing anymore. I'm saying that most likely, that's the only thing he does (and enjoys) within DT. To put it bluntly, he made himself the classic "band musician" who takes the backseat in terms of musical and band direction, but instead focuses solely on the live performances.

rumborak

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »
Songwriting usually doesn't include the bass lines or drums. Songs start with a riff, either keyboard or guitar generated, and you can write an entire song without any drums or bass.

When the song is done, then the drum and bass player comes in and "writes" and records parts to it. As any musician that is published will tell you, you typically don't get a writing credit for writing the rhythm backing of a song. I highly doubt anyone other than JM writes his bass parts. I'm sure he does. MP "writes" his drum parts, but MP doesn't get songwriting credits because of those drum parts. It's for the lyrics and arrangement work.

Take Anthrax. Charlie Benante writes most of the band's songs. He's the drummer, but he plays guitar and writes the songs on guitar. That's why he gets songwriting credit. His drum work isn't counted as songwriting.

Now, to the issue of JM getting "credited" as "Dream Theater" on songs, (i.e. lyrics by Portnoy, music by Dream Theater, etc.), typically, a lot of bands have royalty agreements between them, that no matter who does the writing, they all a percentage share of the songwriting royalties. Those agreements vary from band to band, so unless they (one of the band) tell you how it is split up, you never really can tell who is getting the "monetary credit" from song royalties.

Hope that didn't further confuse things. I don't know how DT splits up anything, but the bottom line is, while I am sure Portnoy and Myung write their own parts, drumming and bass playing usually don't amount to a true "songwriting" credit. That's usually reserved for the folks that write the riffs and arrangements that make up an actual song, not the rhythm parts.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »
Samsara, for Raw Dog JM didn't write anything. JR wrote the bass lines on the keyboard, then JM came in and learned them. And I don't think this was the first time happening that way. MP has said for quite a while that MP+JP+JR are the "writing nucleus".
JM getting writing credits might be partly to not single him out on the records, and because he maybe still does a few things here and there.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »
Yeah, the band have gone on record as saying sometimes JM is there writing with the band, but other times, Mike, John, or Jordan will come up with the bass part and he will learn it (and, I'm sure, embellish on it significantly, but that still doesn't really make him the "writer" of it, IMO).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
Samsara, for Raw Dog JM didn't write anything. JR wrote the bass lines on the keyboard, then JM came in and learned them. And I don't think this was the first time happening that way. MP has said for quite a while that MP+JP+JR are the "writing nucleus".
JM getting writing credits might be partly to not single him out on the records, and because he maybe still does a few things here and there.

rumborak

Interesting. If that is the case, it is pretty darn lame.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com