Poll

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: The official Avantasia and Edguy thread v Moonflower Society - Oct 21st  (Read 209248 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
NO! I will not listen to more Jon Oliva. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

There is so much wrong with this statement.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Found it!! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Found it!! ;D

:facepalm:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  Vintage Tim.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol  Vintage Tim.

He's too far gone Brent, no saving the poor boy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Found it!! ;D

:lol

Online MirrorMask

Aaaaaand a new album, MOONGLOW, and a world tour, will happen in 2019. It starts in Europe, the very second date is in my hometown  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I expect them to come back to NYC.  That was one of the best shows I've ever seen.  Really excited for this   :yarr

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
So we'll go probably 6 years without an Edguy album. Great.

That said I absolutely adore the title Moonglow and it'll launch just in time for my birthday, again, so I'm psyched. I want this badly.

Of course I'll never get to see Avantasia live... :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Probably won't buy an artbook this time, but will get the album and will definitely see them again if they come to my town (that'll be a third time and I'm confident they will, their show sold very well both times).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MirrorMask

Don't be greedy, you got 5 brand new songs on a deliciously packaged greatest hits!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Never say never.  I've got to imagine they will expand even further into NA this time around.  Still maybe not to you, but if they keep growing, eventually. (although I have no idea where you are, so maybe alaska then nvmd)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I am on a bit of an Avantasia binge this morning.  Listening through Ghostlights, I continue to oscillate back and forth, from song to song, between, "This is pretty good!  Yeah, this is exactly why I like this band" and "This is just awful!  What was Tobi thinking?"  I love it.  I hate it.  I love it.  I hate it.  :lol  Luckily, their other albums tend to get much more of a consistent reaction from me.  :lol

As for the new album, I will cautiously say it is likely an automatic buy.  Even if it is Ghostlights II, there should still be enough songs that I like to make it worthwhile.  I am cautiously optimistic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

I remember buying Ghostlights on the same day (release day) of DT's The Astonishing. It was almost a double blind purchase - I've heard a YouTube video that presented clips of Ghostlights songs, but I made a conscious choice to not listen to anything at all from DT 'cause I wanted a full, untainted and unspoiled first listening experience with the album. I will probably do the same thing again, both with Avantasia and DT.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Don't be greedy, you got 5 brand new songs on a deliciously packaged greatest hits!

Five bad songs on yet another compilation. No thanks
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Never say never.  I've got to imagine they will expand even further into NA this time around.  Still maybe not to you, but if they keep growing, eventually. (although I have no idea where you are, so maybe alaska then nvmd)
[/quote

Couple hours south of Chicago :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Five bad songs on yet another compilation. No thanks

You know that green font means sarcasm here, right? :)

As for me, hey, I'm down with whatever Tobi is releasing. Saw Edguy last year on Monuments tour and it was a lot of fun, Tobi seemed like he had a blast too. I'm pretty sure we'll get a full Edguy album after this Avantasia chapter. Or, well, maybe not. Who knows. :P

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I hope they come to Toronto, but won't be surprised if they don't.  They could only book an 1200 seat theater, and I'd say it was generous to suggest it was 2/3 full.  If I have to go to Montreal, I just might do that again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Does the green actually indicate sarcasm? I am clearly still a noob.  :loser:  :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Looking forward to the details on the album!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Yea, very curious who the guests will be. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Yea, very curious who the guests will be. 

So far, Tobi hasn't asked me.  But I keep checking my email just in case.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I like the guests more when he goes for power metal singers as opposed to the old rock stars of Mystery of Time  :biggrin: Kiske is a given for at least one track but hopefully Jorn also comes back and hell maybe get Andre Matos again. I've kind of had my fill of Bob Catley though if I'm being honest.

Online MirrorMask

I've kind of had my fill of Bob Catley though if I'm being honest.

I've had my fill of "let's have the final, melanchonic but hopeful, somehow balladish song for Catley" rather. I get that is what he's good at, just as Kiske is good for the soaring power metal vocals, but after the grandiose The Great Mystery having Bob sing only Restless Heart, Obsidian Skies on the latest album was a bit underwhelming.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Maybe this is just my own personal issue, but in my limited exposure to Avantasia, I find that I most often like the music more when it is a singer I am less familiar with, and I like it less when it is a singer I am more familiar with.  There are exceptions to that.  But I have noticed that as a general trend.  For instance, I'm not all that familiar with any of the vocalists on TMOT, and I like almost every single track and easily get immersed in the album.  (I mean, I know who most of them are, but they aren't from bands I actively listen to, so they often don't jump out at me).  On Ghostlights, for example, on Marco's and Sharon's songs, those two VERY recognizable voices kind of take me out of the moment and have me thinking Nightwish or Within Temptation rather than being immersed in the album I am actually listening to. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope there's no Jorn and Bob this time, to be honest. I'd love him to invite some new guests this time around.

I hope Kiske will be on it, though.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Given how well it worked, I wouldn't be surprised if Tate was on a couple of tracks.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
MirrorMask, I think that's exactly why I've had my fill of Catley. Just seems like each singer gets reserved for a certain type of song, and I'm not as crazy about his. Runaway Train is top 10 Avantasia songs for me though...

I forgot about Tate. His song is one of my favorites too.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

I forgot about Tate. His song is one of my favorites too.

He and Tobias appear to have gotten close. First the tour, then Tobias' guest appearances at Tate's shows, etc. Given all that, I think it is likely...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Really?  I didn't know that.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh yeah. Tobi freaking loves Geoff Tate.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey, if Tobi can get Tate to sing like he did on that Avantasia song, I'd be all for it.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I wouldn't mind Bob Catley, guy is an impressive singer, even at his age, but give him another kind of song. I don't need Tate but wouldn't mind him if the song's good. Kiske should be on there and then maybe some guys and girls he hasn't worked with.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
There's very few guests from the past that I'd say I'd rather not see again, but I will agree that the Catley usage is a little old only because it's the same thing on each album, although I have no issue wiht him returning, just rather see him not used in the same song over and over. 

I really do want more Jorn though.  He's my favorite of the regular guests.