Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 529816 times)

Offline 425

Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2730 on: October 10, 2016, 03:27:28 PM »
I put SMPTe last by far because I'm not keen on My New World and I outright don't like Mystery Train. The other three are pretty close for me. I think I either agree with bosk about The Whirlwind or actually break the consensus and name Kaleidoscope as my favorite. However, BAF is an awesome album that deserves all sorts of recognition.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2731 on: October 10, 2016, 10:09:17 PM »
The Whirlwind is their best.

Followed by Stranger In Your Soul.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2732 on: October 11, 2016, 08:07:55 AM »
I would say that All of the Above is my favorite single song they've done, but Bridge Across Forever is my favorite album. If I had a count of how many times I'd listened to each of their studio tracks, In Held Twas I would be in last place by a big margin.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2733 on: October 12, 2016, 04:33:57 PM »
Wow, 15 years already?  Still my favorite Transatlantic album.

Mine too. Especially live. We have lift off.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2734 on: October 14, 2016, 06:23:05 AM »
Wow, 15 years already?  Still my favorite Transatlantic album.

Mine too. Especially live. We have lift off.

Not only is it my favorite Transatlantic record, it's one of my 5 favorite albums of all time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2735 on: October 14, 2016, 09:52:20 AM »
It's incredibly tough for me to rank Transatlantic's albums. All of them (and every song on them) are incredible. Kaleidoscope might just edge it as I had been a fan for a while, so I was here for the buildup and everything.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2736 on: October 14, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »
I would say that All of the Above is my favorite single song they've done, but Bridge Across Forever is my favorite album. If I had a count of how many times I'd listened to each of their studio tracks, In Held Twas I would be in last place by a big margin.
This almost exactly (Stranger is my favorite TA song).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2737 on: October 15, 2016, 05:53:28 AM »
Trying to pick my favorite song of theirs is nearly impossible.  Gun to my head, I'd probably say All of the Above, but every time I listen to My New World, Stranger in Your Soul or Duel with the Devil, I think, "How is this not their best song?" All four songs are utterly fantastic. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2738 on: October 20, 2016, 01:38:35 AM »
All of the above has been one of my all time favourite prog songs. That whole first album is VERY special to me.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2739 on: October 20, 2016, 10:21:33 AM »
I'm always going back and forth between All of the above and Suite Charlotte Pike.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2740 on: October 20, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »
I'm always going back and forth between All of the above and Suite Charlotte Pike.

Would you say it's evil to have to choose? Like having some sort of battle with satan residing within your brain?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:18:50 PM by Nick »
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2741 on: October 20, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »
Just switch the devil with Satan and it's perfect.  ;)

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2742 on: October 20, 2016, 01:13:36 PM »
Idk if AOTA needs that incredibly long ambient bit at the end. A minute or so of it would've been fine; not 3 whole minutes.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2743 on: October 20, 2016, 08:19:08 PM »
Just switch the devil with Satan and it's perfect.  ;)

Fine. :p

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2744 on: October 22, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »
spun Suite Charlotte Pike on the drive home from live Steve Vai last night...such a perfect song, every section, every note.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2745 on: October 22, 2016, 11:29:33 PM »
spun Suite Charlotxte Pike on the drive home from live Steve Vai last night...such a perfect song, every section, every note.

Totally agree.   And the live version with the Beatles Medley is one of my favorite live moments by any band ever.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2746 on: October 25, 2016, 09:45:52 AM »
I totally didn't almost crash whilst clapping out the clap section.

Online Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2747 on: December 01, 2016, 01:09:39 PM »
So I was revisiting pieces of The Whirlwind. What an album! I love it so much more than the albums before it. Such melody. On The Prowl, Evermore, etc... I cannot believe I haven't listened to Kaleidoscope yet.

Also! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggqmnmBnbHM

^ That version of We All Need Some Light (from Shepherd's Bush Empire) is just so damn good man. Roine sounds phenomenal and when Neal comes in toward the end with "Are you waiting for the sword to find its way down?" Just damn..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2748 on: December 01, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »
spun Suite Charlotxte Pike on the drive home from live Steve Vai last night...such a perfect song, every section, every note.

Totally agree.   And the live version with the Beatles Medley is one of my favorite live moments by any band ever.

Love that too.  :)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2749 on: December 01, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »
I have a BluRay of the entire concert in Mexico City. Soundboard and multicam if anyone interested.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2750 on: December 01, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
So I was revisiting pieces of The Whirlwind. What an album! I love it so much more than the albums before it. Such melody. On The Prowl, Evermore, etc... I cannot believe I haven't listened to Kaleidoscope yet.

Over time, On the Prowl has become the song from The Whirlwind I listen to the most.  It's just a fun song to crank up and rock out to. :metal

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #2751 on: December 02, 2016, 05:58:52 PM »
I have a BluRay of the entire concert in Mexico City. Soundboard and multicam if anyone interested.
I am

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2752 on: December 06, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
I am

Send me a PM

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2753 on: January 15, 2017, 09:59:48 PM »
Since it seems like the band won't likely get together this year, or if they do, won't release an album this year, I figured we'd still try to generate some conversation here and there, especially as I have been thinking about this band a lot lately (even amidst Neal's own new album).

First off, just to get this out of the way because I don't think I've seen it in this thread in awhile, here's my current ranking of the studio albums:
Bridge Across Forever
The Whirlwind
Kaleidoscope
SMPT:e

As much as I love SMPT:e, Kaleidoscope has really grown on me over the years. It turns 3 years old in 12 days, and it's a bit hard to believe it's been that long already, but since then, the album's five songs have slowly rooted themselves into my musical veins and they've slowly over-taken SMPT:e in ranking. I love the vocal interplay with all of the members, and the arrangements are more varied. The more I look back at the band's debut album, the more and more it stands out as being VERY Neal-heavy and not that that is a BAD thing per se, but I love the balance that the band would eventually attain with its latter two albums, with quite a bit more Roine and Pete, both musically and vocally. Even with that all in mind, though, BAF still reigns supreme, and it's easily one of my favorite albums of all time, so I doubt The Whirlwind or Kaleidoscope will ever overtake it.

And the live albums, not counting More Never Is Enough (because it really feels superfluous and I've rarely listened to it):
Whirld Tour 2010
Live In Europe
KaLIVEoscope
Live In America

Before Whirld Tour 2010 came out, Live In Europe was one of my top live albums of all time (right up there with the likes of Yessongs and Seconds Out), but Whirld Tour just takes the cake - complete live Whirlwind, plus their 3 major epics and two ballads, what more could you ask for?! Well, you COULD have asked for "My New World" but then the show would've been way over 4 hours...

And as for predictions for the band's future? Considering the time between The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope was 4 years and 3 months, and how busy Mike and Neal are this year (with the NMB and eventually Flying Colors), I suspect that TA5 sessions won't commence until early next year at best, which would mean TA5 would come out at least 4 years after Kaleidoscope, which would be fine with me considering the wait we had for that album. I'm sure Roine has a TON of material in his backlog of stuff he writes because he's not released anything with his own writing in awhile (as I don't think the Anderson/Stolt album has a lot of his input), and The Flower Kings haven't been very active either, so I'd like to see Roine bring a lot of demos to the TA5 sessions.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2754 on: January 16, 2017, 01:32:30 AM »
I probably ranked them before (and maybe ranked them even different) but as of now it would look like this:

Bridge Across Forever
SMPT:e
The Whirlwind
Kaleidoscope

If they get together again, I hope that they offer something a little different. While Kaliedoscope wasn't bad, it felt a little bit like TA by the numbers.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2755 on: January 16, 2017, 06:53:21 AM »
^ I'd agree with that order. All of the Above is probably my single favorite of their epics, but the combination Duel with the Devil and Stranger in your Soul (plus me not caring for In Held Twas I) pushes BAF slightly ahead into first place.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2756 on: August 24, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
I'm switching to digital and I'm going to sell my collection of CDs and vinyls. Most of what I have is no big deal but I do own the first 3 albums of Transatlantic in colored vinyl (the limited 1000 edition that was sold when the Whirlwind came out). I figured I would post here because I'd rather deal with a good fan from the forums than trying to find someone over the internet.

You can find some pictures here, I posted them when I originally bought them during the Whirlwind Tour. If you're interested please send me a PM.

Also, if someone feels this is out of place let me know and I'll delete the post, I figured it'd be OK since there's been a few "Selling my collection" threads over the years.

Thanks!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2757 on: August 24, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »
The live version of The Whirlwind is what really got me interested in this band. I heard the first album a couple times before but other than the title track there wasn't much else that had an impact. I need to check out Kaleidoscope.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2758 on: April 10, 2019, 11:22:56 PM »
So the first wave of band announcements for Cruise To The Edge 2020 have been made and they include The Flower Kings, Marillion, and Flying Colors.

I think we all know this means there will likely be a Transatlantic reunion with all 4 members present! Now let the speculation begin on whether or not they'll record anything before the Cruise happens...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2759 on: April 11, 2019, 07:45:03 AM »
So the first wave of band announcements for Cruise To The Edge 2020 have been made and they include The Flower Kings, Marillion, and Flying Colors.

I think we all know this means there will likely be a Transatlantic reunion with all 4 members present! Now let the speculation begin on whether or not they'll record anything before the Cruise happens...

-Marc.

Ohh man. That would be sweet!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2760 on: April 11, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »
Wrong thread I know, but actual Flower Kings or Roine Stolt's new band that put out Manifesto of an Alchemist last year?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2761 on: April 11, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »
Wrong thread I know, but actual Flower Kings or Roine Stolt's new band that put out Manifesto of an Alchemist last year?

Yes Roine and friends put it out

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2762 on: April 11, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »

Yes Roine and friends put it out

I think Ministro knows that Manifesto was a Roine (and Friends) album, and not a TRUE TFK album. I believe Ministro is asking whether or not the band announced for Cruise To The Edge 2020 is the ACTUAL TFK (with Tomas Bodin), or the band that Roine has been touring with this past year, Flower Kings Revisited.

As it stands, I'm guessing it'll be the Revisited line-up, so no, I doubt Tomas has returned to play with Roine.

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2763 on: April 11, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »
Oh, OK.

No Thomas Bodin, so it will be the Roine and Friends version. (Got this info from a reliable source)

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #2764 on: April 11, 2019, 05:36:54 PM »
Eagerly awaiting/hoping for a new Transatlantic album.