Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 524216 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2660 on: October 10, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »
WOW that was quick!!! I thought the actual media wasn't due until November?! That's at least 3 weeks away. Well, hopefully I get my poster sometime in the next few days, as well!

-Marc.

Hrm you may be right. I wonder why the poster was sent early? Keep the hype alive or just to get stuff off the shipping table?

Either way, I'll take it.  It also came with a little note like "Congrats you were one of the first 100 to preorder" typed piece of paper, which is new for Radiant (at least for me)

That does seem to be a new thing for Radiant.  Perhaps that means I missed the cut if people are getting their posters already.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2661 on: October 10, 2014, 01:45:32 PM »

That does seem to be a new thing for Radiant.  Perhaps that means I missed the cut if people are getting their posters already.

Like I said I got mine yesterday.  Haven't seen anyone else mention it.. maybe it's a fluke.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2662 on: October 10, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »
I got mine today, although for all I know it could have been delivered yesterday.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2663 on: October 18, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »
I just got the Blu-Ray today! I believe that's over a week early, right??  :metal :metal :metal

I'll be watching it tomorrow with some friends.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2664 on: October 19, 2014, 12:56:20 AM »
I just got the Blu-Ray today! I believe that's over a week early, right??  :metal :metal :metal

I'll be watching it tomorrow with some friends.

Wow! I'll be checking my mail every second now!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2665 on: October 20, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »
Greetings from Team Radiant! We're excited to let you know that all pre-orders for Transatlantic, KaLIVEoscope have officially SHIPPED and are now on their way to you! In our best effort to meet or beat the release date, all U.S. orders went out today, and all international orders shipped last Monday.

DAAAAAAAAMN

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2666 on: October 20, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »
WOW! Can't fuckin wait!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2667 on: October 20, 2014, 04:31:18 PM »
Well I watched it last night  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I have a lot of very strong opinions on it, but I kinda don't feel like sharing them out of laziness and certain things that might ruin it for other people who would've otherwise not noticed. But it's an awesome release through and through.  :metal

I will say this though: the bonus features are some of the best I've ever seen and are incredibly inspiring to me personally. I feel bad for whoever got the CD/DVD and doesn't get to see these, though you will get the full audio of the Tilburg show.

Edit: left out the word 'not'
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:06:57 AM by TheAtliator »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2668 on: October 20, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
Very cool to hear about the bonus features. That's really important when you have so many DVDs. Unfortunately DT have been extremely lacking in that department for awhile now.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2669 on: October 20, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »
Very cool to hear about the bonus features. That's really important when you have so many DVDs. Unfortunately DT have been extremely lacking in that department for awhile now.

Sadly, it seemed like the love of bonus features and documentaries left with Mike Portnoy, which is still a win for solo Neal Morse fans and fans of Transatlantic. The Whirld Tour 2010 live set was amazing, and every single one of Neal's live albums have been great as well, especially with MP offering drum-cam versions of some of their shows!

Cannot wait to get my deluxe set in soon! I hope it's here by week's end so I can crack it open and watch it!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2670 on: October 22, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
Pictures from InsideOut's version have been posted online:

Looks just like their version of Whirld Tour 2010, which was far superior to Radiant's/Metal Blade's version of Whirld Tour 2010. If no one knows what i mean, I can post comparison pictures I took today for the TA Facebook group showing the differences between IO's and MB's releases.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: October 22, 2014, 06:19:34 PM »
Deluxe set arrived today from Radiant! Woohooo.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2672 on: October 22, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »
Deluxe set arrived today from Radiant! Woohooo.

Does it look like the set in the pictures I posted above? If not, then I'm sure we'll have gotten a flimsier box set from Radiant/Metal Blade again.

Either way, could you post pics of your set? I'd love to see it! I wonder if mine will be in soon...

-Marc.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2673 on: October 22, 2014, 11:51:39 PM »
got my radiant set today too!  :metal :metal
looks exactly the same as the one posted, although the photo is misleading in that the booklets aren't attached to their respective cases, they're just loose in the box.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2674 on: October 23, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
got my radiant set today too!  :metal :metal
looks exactly the same as the one posted, although the photo is misleading in that the booklets aren't attached to their respective cases, they're just loose in the box.

If they don't come attached, then I'm afraid they really aren't the same. Here's my comparison pictures of the two Whirld Tour 2010 box sets that i own, one from Radiant/Metal Blade, the other from InsideOut (the EU production of the box set):

As you can see, they're quite different in that the materials used for the slipcase and the books themselves are not the same, and the booklets are attached to the books on the IO version, which is considerably more sturdy and thicker.

I guess I'm importing the IO version at some point in the future. Ah well.

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2675 on: October 23, 2014, 02:50:32 AM »
I never thought of that, but I remembered you posting pics when The Whirlwind live was released. Fingers crossed that I get the european version, but I don't think so.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2676 on: October 23, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »
I never thought of that, but I remembered you posting pics when The Whirlwind live was released. Fingers crossed that I get the european version, but I don't think so.

Well, if you ordered yours from Radiant, then we'll just have to wait and see if/when countoftuscany42 and/or Mindflux respond here to see what their sets look like (assuming they both also ordered from Radiant).

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2677 on: October 23, 2014, 08:36:48 PM »
Just got my package and opened it up and sure enough, it's not as prestigious as the InsideOut version pictured above...again. Looks like I'll be buying the import as well sometime in the near-future.

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2678 on: October 24, 2014, 05:02:20 AM »
Well dammit.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2679 on: October 24, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
I'd imagine Radiant/Metal Blade contracted with the less expensive package.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2680 on: October 24, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »

Indeed they did. Ah well. I guess that's what I get for trying to be one of the first 100 pre-orders to get a signed poster...which I did, thankfully. I mean, I have no issues buying this set again, as I did with both Live In Europe (I own the NA 2DVD version, and the EU 2CD/2DVD book version from InsideOut) and Whirld Tour 2010: Live In London.

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2681 on: October 24, 2014, 03:45:24 PM »

Indeed they did. Ah well. I guess that's what I get for trying to be one of the first 100 pre-orders to get a signed poster...which I did, thankfully. I mean, I have no issues buying this set again, as I did with both Live In Europe (I own the NA 2DVD version, and the EU 2CD/2DVD book version from InsideOut) and Whirld Tour 2010: Live In London.

-Marc.

It looks like no poster for me, but the package just showed up in the mail so you know where I'm going to be spending the evening.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2682 on: October 24, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »
i don't see why it would be worth purchasing this again just to get a slightly better package with it   :huh:
its not as thought this one is horribly put together, and the changes wouldn't make it worth another $20-30 to have the exact same content, at least to me

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2683 on: October 24, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
i don't see why it would be worth purchasing this again just to get a slightly better package with it   :huh:
its not as thought this one is horribly put together, and the changes wouldn't make it worth another $20-30 to have the exact same content, at least to me

I've grown up with the collector-mindset, which started with toys when I was growing up with my older brother. We got into collecting toys in a HUGE way in the late 90's/early 00's, so getting the best/better editions of items has always been a big draw for me. I have two, sometimes three versions of the SAME album, just because the packaging was better. Oftentimes, though, it's because there are bonus materials in one version, but in the case of Transatlantic, the InsideOut versions are just SO MUCH nicer than the Radiant/Metal Blade ones, that I really do not mind buying the set again. And if I ever felt the need to let go of the Radiant/Metal Blade versions, I can sell them off to fans who really want them, especially if they get to a point where they become rare/hard to find.

-Marc.

Offline adastra

« Reply #2684 on: October 26, 2014, 11:33:40 PM »
Just listened Kaleidoscope (the song) while walking yesterday.
Holy shit x____x   ..    What an amazing piece of music. Everything is flawless and Mike Portnoy's drumming is just phenomenal.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline 425

« Reply #2685 on: October 27, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
Yeah, that one started out as far lesser than Into the Blue in my mind, but it was quite a grower for me. Now it is my favorite epic between the two on the album. The Ride the Lightning chorus is excellent, and Black Gold is just awesome. The main question mark for me with that one is parts of Trewavas's lead section... I am not sure they should have given him that long of a vocal section and there are parts (particularly the beginning) where he sounds like he's in a bit over his head. It's still a great song though.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2686 on: October 27, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »
I like Kaleidoscope but I don't understand why Ride the Lightning, Black Gold, and the Pete thing had to be pasted together like that. Those pieces are clearly unrelated and I don't think they flow together particularly well. It's almost as if they were too lazy to develop those three things into full songs. Either that or they wanted to force out a long song.

With that aside though, it's still an enjoyable little medley.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 425

« Reply #2687 on: October 28, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »
I get your point, but couldn't you say something fairly similar about All of the Above? Full Moon Rising, Camouflaged in Blue and Half Alive don't really have a whole lot to do with each other either. You could argue that they flow better than Kaleidoscope, but I think it's still a valid point to bring up. I think sometimes, unless it's really jarring, it's best to grant the premise that comes with the style of music that sometimes these things will consist of a number of mostly-unrelated sections.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2688 on: October 29, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
I think that the sections of All of the Above certainly flow better than either of the epics on Kaleidoscope.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

« Reply #2689 on: October 29, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »
I certainly agree that they flow better than Kaleidoscope; the point I was bringing up is that they have little to do with each other musically, much like those of Kaleidoscope. Meanwhile Into the Blue (which I think flows better than Kaleidoscope) has sections that tend to have more to do with each other musically. "The Dreamer and the Healer" chorus is repeated in most of the sections of the song, and the melodies of A New Beginning, where it isn't, are heavily featured in the Overture.

Kaleidoscope may well be the least cohesive out of the five 25-35 minute epics, but my point is just that it's all relative and that there's an extent to which the lack of common musical themes between different sections is just a staple of the genre.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2690 on: October 30, 2014, 08:45:39 PM »
 :omg:  Holy crap!  Ten Leonard can SING!  I never thought I would say this, but...they need to ditch Daniel immediately and make Ted a full member!  (and, yes, I realize Daniel was never a full member)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2691 on: October 30, 2014, 08:50:21 PM »
:omg:  Holy crap!  Ten Leonard can SING!

This... isn't news. :p

You really need to catch up with Ted's work, and I feel you might find Affector particularly pleasing.

It's a tough spot, as Daniel and Ted have both executed their roles fantastically. To me the tie would go to Ted as he seemed more at ease coming up front at times and really making TA seem like a 5 piece, and a great one. That said, I think given the proper opportunity, Daniel would do the same. I actually asked Daniel on the Whirld tour about if he would get the opportunity to be more noticed, and he said something to the effect of having so much to do he just tried to make sure it was all done right, which I understand.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2692 on: October 30, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
I certainly agree that they flow better than Kaleidoscope; the point I was bringing up is that they have little to do with each other musically, much like those of Kaleidoscope. Meanwhile Into the Blue (which I think flows better than Kaleidoscope) has sections that tend to have more to do with each other musically. "The Dreamer and the Healer" chorus is repeated in most of the sections of the song, and the melodies of A New Beginning, where it isn't, are heavily featured in the Overture.

Kaleidoscope may well be the least cohesive out of the five 25-35 minute epics, but my point is just that it's all relative and that there's an extent to which the lack of common musical themes between different sections is just a staple of the genre.
Part of what makes a big epic so impressive is the fact that the parts are strung together so nicely and lose their power when broken up. Take Octavarium for example, it includes 5 movements that are quite different from each other, yet they work perfectly together and the transitions between them are really well executed. Or for a Transatlantic example, look at Duel With the Devil. Kaleidoscope just seems lazily pasted together and the transitions between different sections are really half assed. Pete's Walking The Road section might as well be the start of a new song. It even has the structure of a short song.

It's especially disappointing because MP is a fantastic arranger. I'd say his strong point is making sure that there's continuity and that everything goes together. Watching the Kaleidoscope doc made it look like he was too focused on the order of the sections rather than how they tied together. Which makes sense considering he had a lot to work with and they didn't spend a ton of time on this album. Still, the final product suffered. The Whirlwind feels more coherent than Kaleidoscope even.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2693 on: October 30, 2014, 08:59:40 PM »

This... isn't news. :p

Well, it is to ME.  I'm not familiar with him or his work.  :p

To me the tie would go to Ted as he seemed more at ease coming up front at times and really making TA seem like a 5 piece, and a great one.

Exactly this.  I am only up to My New World on the DVD, and that is coming through loud and clear already.

That said, I think given the proper opportunity, Daniel would do the same. I actually asked Daniel on the Whirld tour about if he would get the opportunity to be more noticed, and he said something to the effect of having so much to do he just tried to make sure it was all done right, which I understand.

I'm not so sure he would step up much more to the front than he already has.  Don't get me wrong--he has performed phenominally, and I thought since the Whirlwind tour that they really should invite him in as a full member.  But he still felt like a (extremely gifted and capable) hired gun, whereas, as you said, Ted makes the band truly seem like a 5 piece.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2694 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:45 PM »

If you would have listened to Spock's Beard ages ago, like so many of us recommended, you would know this already. ;)

In other news, Roine Stolt can play the guitar!!! :biggrin: