Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 530120 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2625 on: September 16, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »

Order Number: 52899

Looks like less than 4 orders in that span of 19 seconds, which means they took about one order per five seconds. Given that average, it would've taken, at most, about  8 minutes to fill the first 100 orders. I think we're good! :tup

- Marc.

Yeah you're just a couple orders behind me. I think we're good. :)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2626 on: September 16, 2014, 12:41:07 PM »
BTW in case it was unclear on the site- The Blu-Ray comes with all the bonus features (Into the Kaleidoscope, Band interviews, 3 songs from Tilburg) but the DVD (the single DVD in the DVD/3CD pack) does not. I double checked with them by email.

I wonder if this will be available on iTunes. I bought the Blu-Ray, so even though I don't have the full Tilburg night on CD, I have the hour and a half behind the scenes, 22 min interviews, and the 3 tracks on video. But if it's on iTunes maybe I'll be able to buy the audio of the Tilburg night also.

I am extremely excited for this release!!!

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #2627 on: September 16, 2014, 05:36:21 PM »
Really wish there was a Blu-Ray/CD option.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2628 on: September 16, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
Yea I probably would have bought that option.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2629 on: September 18, 2014, 03:40:57 AM »
Amazon.co.uk are listing a BluRay+2DVD+3CD set for GBP£45.99.

That's a lot of money, and there's no sign of other packaging options. Why don't they just sell these things separately anymore, then we can all get the combination that suits us?? :corn
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2630 on: September 19, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »
Orde 52902 for me

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2631 on: September 20, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »
Went deluxe at Radiant.

Might be on the bubble for signatures.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2632 on: September 20, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »
They randomly had Live In Europe at the record store, so I picked it up.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2633 on: September 20, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »
They randomly had Live In Europe at the record store, so I picked it up.  :metal

Great album! One of my favorite live albums of all time, even after two more TA live albums, and so many others over the last 10 years. Even though the show is only 6 songs, they're all almost all epics, and the Beatles medley with "Suite Charlotte Pike" is brilliant. It's a shame their 2nd encore wasn't more polished enough for official release, which would've been icing on the cake, but this cake is delicious enough as it is.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2634 on: September 20, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »
Yeah, I want KaLIVEascope, but I have no idea what version I want, so this will suffice. I already blew too much money on Breaking The Fourth Wall.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2635 on: September 20, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
Yeah, I want KaLIVEascope, but I have no idea what version I want, so this will suffice. I already blew too much money on Breaking The Fourth Wall.

I did the opposite. When you think about it, the 1BD/2DVD/3CD deluxe edition of KaLIVEoscope on Radiant records costs LESS than what RoadRunner is selling their BD/3CD version of Breaking The Fourth Wall. Also, the 2DVD set of BTFW is cheaper on Amazon, and I figure I will get that sometime next month when I have more money and RR will still likely have some 1BD/3CD sets available then, too, so I'm not missing much by waiting another few weeks to order them. Radiant's deluxe edition might sell out, and the chance to get a signed poster by the band was too enticing.

I think I made the right decision. :tup

I mean, I was going to get both eventually, anyway, but considering TA's set was cheaper and had WAY more stuff, and the fact that I already blew a lot of money on the last DT live set (which had a decent deluxe edition, despite the less-than-par quality of the show itself), it was TA's turn to blow a larger amount of money on.

I still wish DT had BTFW in a 3CD/2DVD(/1BD) deluxe set so I didn't have to buy TWO products (the 1BD/3CD and the 2DVD sets) to get the whole thing, but oh well. That's the price I pay for not having a BD player yet.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2636 on: September 20, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »
How does Radiant work? Do they charge right away, or not until the thing ships?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2637 on: September 20, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
I picked up the DVD myself 2 weeks ago.  Good stuff!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2638 on: September 20, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »

I've always been charged at, or shortly after the time of ordering. That's the thing about pre-orders, although the good thing about that is, if you have the money now and pre-order something, you know it's paid off. You're not struck with the payment when it's shipped, when you might accidentally not have the money for it in your account at the time. :facepalm:

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2639 on: September 20, 2014, 05:46:23 PM »

I've always been charged at, or shortly after the time of ordering. That's the thing about pre-orders, although the good thing about that is, if you have the money now and pre-order something, you know it's paid off. You're not struck with the payment when it's shipped, when you might accidentally not have the money for it in your account at the time. :facepalm:

-Marc.

As long as you keep proper account of your finances that should never be an issue. I keep what is essentially an excel based checkbook for my credit card and checking account, and always put down any pre-orders and essentially write the money off as spent, even if it technically hasn't been charged yet.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2640 on: September 20, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »
Well then, I'll pass for now. It's not just DT's live album, I've pretty much hit my entertainment budget for now.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2641 on: September 20, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
The Blu-Ray of KaLiveoscope is only $16, and the only part of the package it's missing is the audio of the full Tilburg show (there's still 3 encore songs from it on the video). And the BTFW Blu-Ray is only $15 on Amazon, so unless I'm missing something I don't get why on earth people are buying it for $25 at RR  ???

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2642 on: September 21, 2014, 05:29:58 AM »
Wow, I didn't preorder, cause I prefer the certainty of getting it on release date by just buying it in a store. But the price on RR is actually very good compared to my local shop. I mean, the deluxe edition is 45 euro's (57 bucks) including shipping on Radiant, at my local store that set is as much as 63 euro's (80US)! That store does have a thing for pricing stuff really high before it comes out, and then on release day it's a lot cheaper, but man that's a big difference.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2643 on: September 23, 2014, 11:12:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWBQo3r050g&feature=youtu.be

YEEESSSS!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! PERFECT live sound!! This is very exciting.

edit: Wait, were we not supposed to see this yet? I didn't mean to post anything leaked. Take down if we're not supposed to see it yet.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2644 on: September 23, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »

edit: Wait, were we not supposed to see this yet? I didn't mean to post anything leaked. Take down if we're not supposed to see it yet.

Watched this. Loved it. The cameras are dynamic and playful, some great shots including the one over Neal's keys with Mike in the distance (especially during the mixed-meter keyboard solo in the middle). I love the live energy through the whole thing, and all the added parts are just golden! Cannot wait to get this live set!!! I am more hyped up about this than I am Breaking The Fourth Wall and I don't feel bad about that at all.

-Marc.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2645 on: September 23, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »
Hey you're the same guy who just commented on Facebook haha!

Yea I agree the angles are great. Only missing a shot of Pete when he does that awesome repeating bass line in the middle. Otherwise, you can tell that even though it kinda looks like low budget videography, it's smartly-done/well-done low budget videography, and it looks very good! Plus it's the sound that really matters IMO.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2646 on: September 23, 2014, 11:40:31 PM »
Hey you're the same guy who just commented on Facebook haha!

Yea I agree the angles are great. Only missing a shot of Pete when he does that awesome repeating bass line in the middle. Otherwise, you can tell that even though it kinda looks like low budget videography, it's smartly-done/well-done low budget videography, and it looks very good! Plus it's the sound that really matters IMO.

:tup Indeed it is! Good eye haha :rollin

Anyways, I've never really been disappointed by any live Transatlantic video, to be honest, although Live In America was their first, and it was a bit lower budget I'm sure, it's still pretty good. I'm glad we got two different shows off that short tour between the video and the album. Live In Europe remains of my favorite live albums of all time and the video for that show is stunning, especially being only the third show on their tour! Whirld Tour 2010 is astonishing, and it looks and sounds beautiful. After all of those (and More Never Is Enough, although I haven't watched that as much), I've had high hopes for KaLIVEoscope, but this clip has given me everything I wanted, so I hope the whole package is this good, if not better!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2647 on: September 23, 2014, 11:46:25 PM »
That looked and sounded good, but, and here is something I never say, I was disappointed by Roine's vocals.  As much as I like Black as the Sky, I've always thought he lacked the vocal depth to pull off the verse vocals that were needed to match the intensity of the music, and seeing the live clip just confirms that for me.  Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Roine as a vocalist because he almost always knows what to sing given his obvious vocal limitations, but in this case, I think he was given something he just doesn't have the vocal chops for.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2648 on: September 24, 2014, 12:47:29 AM »
I love the way Roine sounds on the album, but I can't be the only one who thinks he looks terrible looking at the iPad like that for every sentence. He even messes up the words once. I feel like that was making him hold back vocally. If you're a singer, and you have to concentrate on anything other than just singing, you're going to not do as well because more of your focus is divided.Thats the reason for going on stage knowing your part like the back of your hand; it's not just so you hit the right notes.

Not only can I back that with logic, but also from experience. You just can't sing as well while looking at lyrics as you can with your part fully ingrained in your head. Especially with singing since lyrics require keeping your neck down.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2649 on: September 24, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »

Wow, that looks and sounds fantastic!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2650 on: September 24, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »

Wow, that looks and sounds fantastic!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2651 on: September 24, 2014, 09:18:57 AM »
Wow, that clip was great! Easily my favourite song from that album. And Neal's solo section was great too :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2652 on: September 24, 2014, 10:41:34 AM »
Fantastic live video. Stunning performance and recording. :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2653 on: September 24, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »
I have to say, hard to get too excited for a TA live release, given the 24234234 of them, but the camera work and editing on that song was absolutely fantastic. If the whole thing is that good it will certainly help cut its mark into the pack.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2654 on: October 10, 2014, 06:26:46 AM »
Got my signed Kaliveascope poste from radiant yesterday. I guess the actual media will follow soon.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2655 on: October 10, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
Got my signed Kaliveascope poste from radiant yesterday. I guess the actual media will follow soon.

WOW that was quick!!! I thought the actual media wasn't due until November?! That's at least 3 weeks away. Well, hopefully I get my poster sometime in the next few days, as well!

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2656 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »
WOW that was quick!!! I thought the actual media wasn't due until November?! That's at least 3 weeks away. Well, hopefully I get my poster sometime in the next few days, as well!

-Marc.

Hrm you may be right. I wonder why the poster was sent early? Keep the hype alive or just to get stuff off the shipping table?

Either way, I'll take it.  It also came with a little note like "Congrats you were one of the first 100 to preorder" typed piece of paper, which is new for Radiant (at least for me)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2657 on: October 10, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »

-Marc.

Hrm you may be right. I wonder why the poster was sent early? Keep the hype alive or just to get stuff off the shipping table?

Either way, I'll take it.  It also came with a little note like "Congrats you were one of the first 100 to preorder" typed piece of paper, which is new for Radiant (at least for me)

My signed Flying Colors poster that I got a couple weeks ago came with a sheet of my order with "#32" written on it in marker, so I guess that's not too far off. Was yours numbered?

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2658 on: October 10, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »

My signed Flying Colors poster that I got a couple weeks ago came with a sheet of my order with "#32" written on it in marker, so I guess that's not too far off. Was yours numbered?

-Marc.

This was different from the order confirmation print out with a hand written number. It was more like "Congrats on being a spaz and pre-ordering uber fast here's your poster" sort of congratulation letter.

I don't think it was numbered, I'll double check.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2659 on: October 10, 2014, 08:47:35 AM »

-Marc.

This was different from the order confirmation print out with a hand written number. It was more like "Congrats on being a spaz and pre-ordering uber fast here's your poster" sort of congratulation letter.

I don't think it was numbered, I'll double check.

Oh, neat! I'm glad they went out of their way for that, but I liked having a hand-written number for my FC poster. Makes it feel more personal to me, rather than an unnumbered mass-printout. Either way, I'll just be happy to have had two signed posters from Radiant this year, and from two awesome bands with two awesome albums! Both are AOTY material for me!

-Marc.