Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 529369 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Transatlantic: Kaleidoscope + Tour
« Reply #2450 on: April 06, 2014, 12:32:54 PM »
Some more observations, having gotten more familiar with the songs:

- Kaleidoscope is a perfect title for the closing epic. It's a kaleidoscope of different sections put together. Even the Overture is a standalone instrumental, that doesn't really introduce any themes used later in the piece (aside from the reprise of the first theme at the start of the final movement).

- I realised recently how most of Into the Blue is in one tempo. I think the "virtuoso" bit at the beginning is the only section in a very different tempo. Also, the long instrumental in A New Beginning is awesome! It builds up and by the end, it's really quite loud and chaotic.

The songs are all sinking in very nicely though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2451 on: April 06, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »
I'm actually enjoying Black As The Sky more than the epics. Its a great song that doesn't have too much going on. Roines vocals make it for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2452 on: April 27, 2014, 02:52:11 AM »
from twitter:
@MikePortnoy When will the TA live album be released?” HOPEFULLY OCTOBER-ISH

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2453 on: April 27, 2014, 03:03:36 AM »
from twitter:
@MikePortnoy When will the TA live album be released?” HOPEFULLY OCTOBER-ISH

Quote from: Neal Morse
Transatlantic Kaleidoscope Live!
       Yes, if you have been wondering, of course, there will be a live DVD and CD package from the Kaleidoscope tour. Many of you were there in Cologne, and we will also be including special things from other shows like Tilburg and the cruise ship footage. It is sure to be epic and is hopefully going to be released sometime in the fall, probably late fall before Christmas

This was from Neal's latest Inner Circle newsletter. I'm excited!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2454 on: May 04, 2014, 02:07:19 AM »
Very cool! I guess there won't be a full Tilburg DVD this time around, because of Neal's health conditions those nights. But including the best material of those nights will be great! Looking forward to the cruise ship material as well!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2455 on: May 04, 2014, 06:22:04 AM »
I watched the 'making of' DVD, and man does it give me a whole new appreciation to the writing process that artists go through. This album is getting better with every listen. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2456 on: May 06, 2014, 02:07:07 PM »
I'll generally watch the making of DVD before hearing the album.  Yeah, I'm weird.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2457 on: May 06, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
I love Neal's voice, keyboard playing and sounds - can anyone recommend some other bands/albums I should check out that feature all that, but that also still contain a healthy dose of guitar?
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2458 on: May 06, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »
I'll generally watch the making of DVD before hearing the album.  Yeah, I'm weird.

I do that too...Its like actually being a part of the making of the album. Then when its over, pop in the album and enjoy a nice experience
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2459 on: May 06, 2014, 08:20:58 PM »
Seems like I'm enjoying the shorter songs more than the epics on this release.  Would love to hear TA write shorter songs (no longer than 10 mins maybe?).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2460 on: May 06, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
Seems like I'm enjoying the shorter songs more than the epics on this release.  Would love to hear TA write shorter songs (no longer than 10 mins maybe?).

After albums of epics, I wouldn't mind this. Then again, if you don't consider "The Whirlwind" as one piece/song, then it's 12 tracks, all under 13 minutes each.

I wouldn't mind a concept album from them, really, one that's a bit more 'expected' or 'typical', and a little less oblique and abstract like "The Whirlwind". A narrative conceptual album with characters, a story and plot, beginning-climax-ending, etc. etc. Then again, I think only Neal and Mike really have had the most experience in that, but that's not saying Roine and Pete couldn't contribute to it either.

Concept or not, an album of about 6-10 songs in the 6-10 minute range would be neat from them! Then again, some might claim that "Transatlantic is ALL ABOUT their epics!" and that the members' home bands/other projects produce enough similar-sounding shorter songs.

Either way, the shorter pieces on Kaleidoscope were a very welcomed change from album-length concept pieces and a barrage of multi-movement epics. Honestly, I'm a big fan of the format that Neal has done with albums like Spock's Beard's V and The Kindness Of Strangers, as well as his own Lifeline and Momentum. One medium-sized epic to start, a few shorter songs, and a big epic at the end. It's a great way to showcase a wide range of writing styles, sounds and genres on a single album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2461 on: May 06, 2014, 11:21:09 PM »
I wouldn't mind a concept album by them, but the problem there is Neal is the most likely to come up with the story or narrative, and I am not sure I would trust him to not go overboard with the spiritual stuff, resulting in a story that would probably be more appropriate for one of his solo albums. 

As for Kaleidoscope, while I like it a lot, it hasn't owned my CD player for months like the first three albums did after they came out (or, in the case of the debut, after I bought it).  Again, I like it a lot, but it's definitely my least favorite of the four.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2462 on: May 10, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
I wouldn't mind a concept album by them, but the problem there is Neal is the most likely to come up with the story or narrative, and I am not sure I would trust him to not go overboard with the spiritual stuff, resulting in a story that would probably be more appropriate for one of his solo albums. 

As for Kaleidoscope, while I like it a lot, it hasn't owned my CD player for months like the first three albums did after they came out (or, in the case of the debut, after I bought it).  Again, I like it a lot, but it's definitely my least favorite of the four.

I can't get enough of the spiritual stuff myself, it's the overtly religious stuff that can grate on me at times.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2463 on: May 11, 2014, 01:50:51 AM »
I adore Snow. But if there's one concept album that's based on the bible... that one's it. So yeah, I'm not too fond of the idea of a religious concept album, but I'm sure it'll turn out to be great.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2464 on: May 11, 2014, 02:26:36 AM »
Mabool by Orphaned Land is a religious concept album and I love it :metal

I don't care for lyrics as long as the music delivers.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2465 on: May 11, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »
666 by Aphrodite's Child is a double album and a concept album about the Book of Revelation. Not really a religious or preachy album by any means, it's more of an adaptation of the story's events, and yet it remains of my favorite albums of all time.

I don't think Neal would be interested in doing the same with Transatlantic in that regard, but if he ever does, I'd still listen to it because as they've proven many times now, these guys know what they're doing. :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2466 on: May 12, 2014, 06:53:10 AM »
I also found the shorter songs on this album more interesting than the epic-length offerings.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2467 on: June 05, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2468 on: June 07, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
Must have been a cool show to see!

Anyone else think they could have chosen a much better abbreviated set for this festival from the looks of it?

Into the Blue
Overture (abridged, Intro and Whirlwind)
Rose Colored Glasses
Evermore
Is It Really Happening?
Dancing With Eternal Glory (abridged, Whirlwind Reprise only)
Encore:
All of the Above
(abridged, first half)
Stranger in Your Soul
(abridged, second half)

It should have included less of the Whirlwind to fit either My New World or Black as the Sky, and Kaleidoscope should have taken precedence over the encore medley. But I wasn't there so why should I care  :lol

And has anyone found any video?? All I could find was this- https://instagram.com/p/o3U9RpLnm5/ and it sounds great on those giant festival speakers.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:52:20 PM by TheAtliator »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2469 on: June 08, 2014, 08:03:48 AM »
Same for me (I wasn't there either), but that's odd that Kaleidoscope was seemingly their de facto cut song this year.  Wasn't there a show during the regular tour where they had to cut one song for time and that was the one that went?  Strange.  I get that they probably want to include something from all four albums, and with less time, it's probably impossible to then play both long epics from the new album. 

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2470 on: June 08, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »
Yes there was a show like that. I woulda been PISSED, but I hate saying things like that because I don't want anyone who was there to read this and then for it ruin the memory for them.

And yes that makes sense.. but that's what I was wondering when I was actually at the first show. Why, in a 2:40 show, did we need We All Need Some Light, and All of the Above AGAIN and no full song from BAF? Why not just do all of SIYS rather than two giant teases in a row? It was still GREAT, don't get me wrong, but it could have been even better if they would have just chosen one of the two... or both and made it a 3:00 show

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2471 on: June 08, 2014, 11:40:59 PM »
Yeah, I agree, it would have been better to just play all of one of the three long epics from the first two albums, instead of busting two of them up into medley form, but I guess they wanted to play something from all four albums, and going with All of the Above would have left nada from BAF.  It will be even more challenging when/if they release a 5th album and tour again.  I suspect that tour will be even more medley-happy.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2472 on: June 09, 2014, 12:29:46 AM »
Yeah, I agree, it would have been better to just play all of one of the three long epics from the first two albums, instead of busting two of them up into medley form, but I guess they wanted to play something from all four albums, and going with All of the Above would have left nada from BAF.  It will be even more challenging when/if they release a 5th album and tour again.  I suspect that tour will be even more medley-happy.

I think if/when we get to a 5th Album Tour, a medley of SMPT:e songs should cover that album, perhaps as the encore. Start with AOTA, segue into a bit of WANSL and MT, then close with the last part of MNW. Condense all of that into about 30-35 minutes and you've got a solid album encore that frees up 2 hours of the main show for four other albums...which is daunting, to say the least. I mean, of the five songs on the new album, only "Into The Blue" was played consistently, with "Shine" and "Black As The Sky" having one less play, and "Kaleidoscope" having two less plays (at 25 plays). "Beyond The Sun" only had ten plays total, and luckily one of those was at Cologne (for the upcoming DVD!). Then again, their second album's title track was rarely played live until the Whirld Tour.

I think a fifth album probably won't have all of its songs played live, which will be a shame, but they could surprise us. They could do the whole album, and only do one or two songs from The Whirlwind, and only one epic from BAF. That would take up about 50 or so minutes of the remaining 2 hours, leaving enough for an album's worth of new music to be played live.

But...who knows when we'd have to worry about any of this? 2017? Neal (and Mike) will have two new albums to release and tour on between now and the better part of 2015, and Mike will also have Winery Dogs stuff. Roine will undoubtedly have a new TFK album at some point, as well as who knows what. And Marillion is probably working on a new album soon, so they'll be busy with that. I don't see Transatlantic reconvening until 2016, LATE 2016 even, with an album and tour in 2017 at the earliest, but all the guys will be 3 years older by then, so we'll see how life and health hold up for these guys!

-Marc.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2473 on: June 09, 2014, 01:19:21 AM »
I have an idea! Lets start doing setlist predictions/wishlists for the next tour!!

Track 1 of the new album
Track 2 of the new album
The Wind Blew Them All Away
On The Prowl
Mystery Train
Kaleidoscope

-intermission-

Track off the new album
Suite Charlotte Pike
We All Need Some Light
Black as the Sky
Last Track off new album

Duel With the Devil

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2474 on: June 09, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »
Considering Portnoy likely writes their set lists, and he is big on not repeating stuff once they have enough material to not warrant too many repeats, I think it goes without saying that the next tour will have a Whirlwind medley of mostly stuff that didn't get played this year, and Duel with the Devil likely comes back in some form.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2475 on: June 09, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
And I would hope WANSL doesn't get repeated, but I just have a feeling it will. I don't know why I included it in my set, I guess I just needed a five minute song, and more from SMPTe. I don't even really like that song much. There is SO MUCH for them to play now!! I'd take a 5 hour show.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2476 on: June 13, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
I adore Snow. But if there's one concept album that's based on the bible... that one's it. So yeah, I'm not too fond of the idea of a religious concept album, but I'm sure it'll turn out to be great.

One of the things that bothered me about it (The religion thing really doesn't figure much into Snow for me as it was just a story) was that there was a stated intention to make a concept album because it was the "prog" thing to do. Add that to the complete change in vibe (Spock's Beard albums never seemed to be a tense affair) All of the albums before that had kind of an organic, happy-go-lucky thing to them. In my eyes, Snow really didn't have that. I wasn't shocked in the least that Neil was on the way out after hearing it. There just seemed to be an uncomfortable tension there. It's been ages since I've listened to it. I should pull it put again and see if I view things differently.

Anyway, my real purpose in being here was to say that Bridge Across Forever is quite possibly the best album they've ever done in my opinion. I forgot how awesome it is to crank it up in the car.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2477 on: June 15, 2014, 04:58:00 AM »
Anyway, my real purpose in being here was to say that Bridge Across Forever is quite possibly the best album they've ever done in my opinion.
I agree.  I love all of their albums, but for me, this one is on a different level.  It's one of my favorite albums of all time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2478 on: July 19, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
Anyone know the setlist last night? Mike posted some video of Shine and Black as the Sky from the hotel room rehearsal, and then a 90 second clip consisting of Into the Blue, WANSL, Shine, and SIYS. And there's youtube clips of WANSL and Evermore.

So that probably answers my question  :lol-
Into the Blue
Shine
The Whirlwind Medley
We all Need Some Light
Black as The Sky
All of your Soul

Maybe a different order.

Oh yea, and here's Evermore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1woIHvURTrU
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:15:15 AM by TheAtliator »

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #2479 on: July 21, 2014, 03:58:51 PM »

Offline TheAtliator

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2482 on: August 06, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »
Not a big fan of this album. I think Into the Blue is good, but could probably be shorter. Black as the Sky is wonderful, though. The 2 softer tracks just don't do it for me. The title track needs a couple more listens, it's a lot to take in.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2483 on: August 06, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
I like the title track but I wish it wasn't so disjointed. Kaleidoscope is an appropriate name for it though. I guess I have a hard time with them stringing together a bunch of unrelated parts and calling it a song. I know this isn't new to them at all, but the parts used to fit together much more naturally. The first three bits with Neal, Roine, and Peat singing lead respectively could've very well just been their own songs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2484 on: August 06, 2014, 09:58:20 PM »
I just find the slow Neal Morse songs to be really dull nowadays..