Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 529916 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Transatlantic Official Thread
« on: April 27, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Update: 2009-08-26

https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2399307.aspx

October release, 'The Whirlwind'.

"For Immediate Release
August 26th 2009

TRANSATLANTIC’S THE WHIRLWIND
Coming in October!!

TRANSATLANTIC – the Progressive Rock Supergroup featuring DREAM THEATER’s Mike Portnoy, MARILLION’s Pete Trewavas, THE FLOWER KINGS’ Roine Stolt and Neal Morse (Ex-SPOCK’S BEARD) – will release their long-awaited third album in October 2009.

THE WHIRLWIND is a 77-minute piece of music that is sure to satisfy the band’s legions of fans that have patiently waited almost the entire decade for the reunion of these 4 musicians.

THE WHIRLWIND will be available in two formats:
A Regular Edition Single CD of the entire 77 minute Epic as well as a 2-CD Special Edition containing a Bonus Disc with 8 newly recorded Studio Tracks.
(4 new Transatlantic compositions and 4 Cover Songs) 

The Track Listing for the Special Edition is:

Disc One:
THE WHIRLWIND

Disc Two:
1. SPINNING
2. LENNY JOHNSON
3. FOR SUCH A TIME
4. LENDING A HAND
5. THE RETURN OF THE GIANT HOGWEED (Genesis)
6. A SALTY DOG (Procol Harum)
7. I NEED YOU (America / The Beatles)
8. SOUL SACRIFICE (Santana)

TRANSATLANTIC’S THE WHIRLWIND is currently scheduled for the following release dates:

October 23rd 2009: Germany, Austria, Switzerland
October 26th 2009: Europe
October 27th 2009: North America"

=================================

For Immediate Release
April 16th 2009

TRANSATLANTIC FLIES AGAIN!!!

PROGRESSIVE ROCK SUPERGROUP
REUNITES FOR NEW STUDIO ALBUM.
POSSIBLE LATE 2009 RELEASE PLANNED.

TRANSATLANTIC, the progressive rock "supergroup" comprised of Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Pete Trewavas (Marillion), Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings) and Neal Morse (ex-Spock's Beard), have reunited after a 7 year hiatus to begin work on a brand new studio album.

The band began work on the album in early April in Nashville and are expected to have it released by year's end if all goes as planned.

TRANSATLANTIC have previously released two studio albums to tremendous critical and fan acclaim: 2000's SMPTe and 2001's Bridge Across Forever. The band toured on the heels of each release with an American Tour in 2000 and a European Tour in 2001 and released subsequent Live DVD's/CD's from both tours before going their separate ways for an indefinite hiatus which lasted almost the entire decade.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 09:06:31 AM by hefdaddy42 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: TRANSATLANTIC Reunite for New Studio Album!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »
well, I'm certainly aroused
Photobucket sucks.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:41:24 PM »
It's a great time to be a fan of MP between last year's LTE Anniversary tour and upcoming release of said tour in a Limited Ed. Box Set and the upcoming Transatlantic album (and likely subsequent tour), as well as the obvious- the upcoming DT album and other YtsejamRecord releases (such as the Covers bootleg)... it's also a very POOR time to be a MP fan! It's a LOT of money!

I wonder what kind of treatment the release will get. The first two TA albums had very hard to find/very limited Special Editions. Neal Morse has made special editions of most of his solo albums ("Testimony", "One" and "Lifeline") with bonus material and lately, MP has released DT's first and second upcoming album with Roadrunner in special editions (with bonus stuff). Hopefully it won't be TOO expensive...

Honestly, this go around, I'm hoping for two sprawling epics and a series of shorter songs in the 5-10 minute range. However, if they go all out, we may see a double album, which honestly, I would not frown upon! These four might have a LOT to say through music together after such a long time apart!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »
This is good news!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »
Very exciting news indeed. As people were saying in the old version of the thread, this news is as exciting as the new DT album, if not more so as it's such a surprise!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Demi Zenith

• DT.net Member
  • Somewhere far beyond your reality
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 05:19:07 PM »
 ;D

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:07:30 PM »
I'll say it again.  I can not wait!!! So exciting.  Transatlantic is teh awesome
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »
Very exciting news indeed. As people were saying in the old version of the thread, this news is as exciting as the new DT album, if not more so as it's such a surprise!
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »
If Transatlantic come to Europe after this release I'll probably go see them rather than Dream Theater if the Progressive Nation tour is the only time we'll be seeing them in Europe this year.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Olibu

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 04:19:20 PM »
I couldn't believe that they're doing it in Nashville too, considering the only one even close to that is Neal Morse. Wish I had a clue what studio they were using and see if I can't somehow arrange a visit or some other such thing.
Say boys and girls don't you want to have fun
Why bother to walk when you'd rather run
Why bother with books when you've got a gun
Come fly with me right into the sun

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »
I couldn't believe that they're doing it in Nashville too, considering the only one even close to that is Neal Morse. Wish I had a clue what studio they were using and see if I can't somehow arrange a visit or some other such thing.

Most likely, Neal's home studio, I would guess.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 08:11:39 PM »

Most likely, Neal's home studio, I would guess.
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline icanplaydrums

• Hayden Panettiere Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Member
  • bleeps and bloops
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 08:55:49 PM »
Transatlantic is teh awesome

Just quoting for truth

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
Transatlantic is teh awesome

Just quoting for truth

Yup, irrevocably my most anticipated album of the year.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 09:10:36 PM »
I believe MP said in a recent interview that the drums and bass were done being tracked, and now they are doing overdubs and vocals and such...

If this is the case, I hope we see a late-summer/early fall release date! Late summer would be FANTASTIC... Right in time for festivals and a fall tour!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dangerskew

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »
This news actually got me to check out Transatlantic for the first time.  The first album really gave me the chills at times, especially with We All Need Some Light.  Definitely looking forward to hearing some more soon.

Offline dreamstate20

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 02:11:23 AM »
This, indeed is good news. Neal Morse and MP are two of my favourite musicians EVER and All Of the Above is as epic as anything their respective bands have ever done

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 02:52:33 AM »
No news on this?

Like an exact release date, so we can count down again  :D
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 05:46:14 AM »
From Roine Stolt-

"The "other" little side project "Transatlantic" - latest news is I just finished my work with overdubs 2 days ago and am very excited about that too - it was LOTs of hard work -
and it is not always easy to be creative and perhaps a bit daring and still maintain your own distinctive style etc .
Anyway I feel confident saying that ANYONE who loved the 2 first albums will love this one too - plus certain content on that album and LTD will most likely raise a plenty of eyebrows."
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 06:56:42 AM »
Babelfish transltion?

What does he mean with LTD?

But great that he finished his tracks, and that he is as confident about the level of the album as MP and NM.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 12:50:39 PM »
Yeah, I was confused by that as well, not a translation, straight from his blog in English.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 11:26:26 PM »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
Babelfish transltion?

What does he mean with LTD?

But great that he finished his tracks, and that he is as confident about the level of the album as MP and NM.

LTD I can only guess means Limited Edition (LTD being an abbreviation for Limited?)

The first two albums had 2-CD limited editions, so I guess it stands to reason that the third TA album would as well.

As for what he means about raising some eyebrows, my best guess is that some of the material on the album proper might be of questionable content, perhaps due to influences on the album or instrumentation/structure? As for the bonus stuff on the second disc, maybe Neal and Mike had some quirky covers in mind? Those two always love doing covers, and with TA they recorded one for each album (although "In Held ('Twas) In I" was on SMPT:e while "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" was on BAF's bonus disc).

Either way, I cannot wait to get this album! I'm hoping for a Sept/Oct release, but if not that soon, then hopefully around Christmas time! I wonder if it'll dominate DPRP's 2009 Polls as Transatlantic did back earlier in the decade? It may be a contender for album of the year!

-Marc.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 03:20:47 AM »
I'm hoping they follow it up with another live album. Live in America and Live in Europe are the 2 TA albums I listen to most.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 02:25:03 PM »
FYI, Roine Stolt recently said on the TFK yahoo mailing list that the new TA album will be out this October. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »
Sweet, I had read an article about the project in the latest "Progression" magazine, included all four guys being interviewed, and I'm even more hyped up about this than I was before, can not wait!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »
I'm just hoping for one tour date within reasonable travel distance and on a weekend. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 02:54:10 PM »
If they tour America it can be in any city and up to 5 hours away and I WILL be there.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 02:59:01 PM »
If they tour America it can be in any city and up to 5 hours away and I WILL be there.
You've got it easy.  They won't play any place within driving distance of me.  I'll have to fly somewhere. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 11:34:44 PM »
October!

Yeah, isn't there any more official news? Tracklist, artwork, anything?

Offline CliffEmAll

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 07:06:40 AM »
Nice. :tup
Giggity, Giggity, Giggity, Goo!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 09:14:18 AM »
October!

Anything?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
October!

Anything?

I think the band are probably trying to keep this as tight-lipped as possible! None of the band member's respective websites have posted any news about TA3 since the original mid-April news!!! So bizarre, but I bet most of it is probably due to Mike and Neal, who often like to keep things as under-wraps as possible with new material.

Either way, with this release, along with so many others this year (and more to come, like The Tangent's 5th album as well!), it'll be a great contender for DPRP's album of the year!

I've heard a rumor that Neal had a piece late last year/earlier this year he was working on, a 30+ minute opus tentatively titled "Whirlwind", and that he had plans for it but was not ready to say what or when it would be released! It may be possible he pitched his working demo to the boys in TA for inclusion on the new album!

Also, I bet it's safe to say that both Roine and Pete would have some stuff to include as neither of them have (to my awareness) any new albums so far this year (although Roine has his 3rd World Electric side-project, which promises to be more jazzy-fusion than standard prog like TFK and Kaipa), so I expect them to carry more contributions to TA3 than before! At least I hope so...

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »
The article I read in Progression talked about a long piece written by Neal as the inspiration for this third Transatlantic album. Basically he had it and didn't feel it really worked on a solo record, and a friend, who Neal knew through church, not religion, suggested Neal put the piece to use in Transatlantic. Neal was really surprised by the suggestion, basically realized it would work, prayed, and ended up setting in motion the reunion. The piece will be on the album, but it was of course very much re-worked by the other three guys once the writing process began.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »
Cool!

I litteraly can't wait. Roine said October release, so that's basically less than two months away  :eek