Author Topic: Ulver-appreciation thread  (Read 62085 times)

Offline adace

Re: Ulver-appreciation thread
« Reply #385 on: August 18, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #386 on: August 18, 2013, 04:21:13 PM »
Listening. Sounds very minimalistic so far, but I like it a lot.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #387 on: August 18, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »
Will listen to it in the morning :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline adace

« Reply #388 on: August 19, 2013, 03:45:38 AM »
Messe is just great. As much as I enjoyed Wars of the Roses I think this one tops it.

Glad to see this band continue to innovate and do so amazingly well. :tup

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #389 on: August 21, 2013, 09:19:41 AM »
"As Syrians pour in, Lebanon grapples with ghosts of a bloody past"

This is a song title, guys.  :|
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #390 on: August 21, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
Sounds like something Goodspeed would call a movement of a song, tbh.

In other news, Messe is pretty fucking awesome, but I have to be in a certain mood for it. But when I am... :hefdaddy

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: August 21, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »
the music sounds like Godspeed too! that opening track in particular.

really love "Glamour Box," "Son of Man" and "Mother of Mercy." classics.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #392 on: August 22, 2013, 04:11:00 AM »
Yeah the music sounds a bit like GYBE, I felt that vibe too. First listen was pretty underwhelming, but I liked it a lot more the second time.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #393 on: August 30, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
So I've given it some more time to sink in. WOAH, THIS IS REALLY GOOD!

Great atmospheric album. Probably my favorite Ulver album to date, not including Shadows of the Sun (not sure anything will ever pass that up). I also love that it's only 45 minutes. Too often, today, bands aren't able to produce an album that is both good and the right length. This here is JUST what the doctor ordered. Not too much, not too little.

Thank you, Ulver  :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2013, 03:48:55 AM »
I listened to my first Ulver album (Blood Inside) a couple of days ago and it's pretty weird, but I think I could like it after multiple listens. I'll check Wars of the Roses out next...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: September 18, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »
Wars of the Roses is amazing, but it's not as busy as Blood Inside. Just so you don't have any wrong expectations.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #396 on: September 18, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
speaking of less busy, you should check out Shadows of the Sun next.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #397 on: September 18, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »
Unfortunately SOTS isn't available in the libraries here - they only have Blood Inside, WOTR, the debut album and some compilation. However, if I end up becoming a fan I'll definitely get SOTS; I even saw a copy in the local record store the other day!
Wars of the Roses is amazing, but it's not as busy as Blood Inside. Just so you don't have any wrong expectations.
That sounds promising as I prefer less busy music in general!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #398 on: September 18, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »
I might be the only person with that opinion, but the debut album is actually my favourite Ulver album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #399 on: September 18, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
You also need to check out Perdition City if you can get a hold of it. I think it's their best.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #400 on: September 18, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »
Unfortunately SOTS isn't available in the libraries here

What is this library, and why can't I find one like it?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #401 on: September 18, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »
Unfortunately SOTS isn't available in the libraries here

What is this library, and why can't I find one like it?
It's fucking Finland, one of the countries where people have a healthy relationship towards music.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #402 on: September 18, 2013, 05:30:09 PM »
Libraries here in the US of A really suck. I realized that when I went to Iceland a couple years ago and saw their cd collections

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #403 on: May 07, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
I got Messe after someone put it at 5th in his 2013 Top 30. Son of Man blew me away and the fact he said that this wasn't even one of their best albums made want to check their other records. I'm still getting on them but Perdition City and Shadows of the Sun are really, really amazing. So sad that these guys have just started touring recently and only in Europe. I hope to see them live one day.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #404 on: May 08, 2014, 02:40:48 AM »
I'm still bummed over the fact that I missed the opportunity to see them back in 2010. I saw a poster that they were playing in my city, and I had also been meaning to get into the band (heard good things), and literally as I started falling in love with the band, I realized I already missed the concert. Despite living neighbor with Norway, they haven't played here since then.  :-X

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: May 16, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »
I'm still bummed over the fact that I missed the opportunity to see them back in 2010.
Oh man that's awful. I hope they get to England this winter - I'll be there on an English course. Btw, Messe it's been growing on me so much, that it's actually my fav Ulver album :eek.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: October 03, 2014, 02:32:35 PM »
They've remastered their 3 black metal albums to include them in a boz set, along with unreleased tracks, demos, etc. It also comes in vinyl.
https://bravewords.com/news/ulver-trolsk-sortmetall-1993-1997-box-set-details-revealed

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #407 on: October 03, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
Neato.

Depending on the price point, that's pretty close to being a must buy for me as I do not yet own those Ulver albums. Hopefully the box set will be fairly affordable.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #408 on: October 03, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »
If Nattens Madrigal ends up sounding like the music was actually played within a twenty meter range of the recording device, then I shall consider that an improvement and might even end up acquiring this thing.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #409 on: October 03, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
The first thing I thought when I saw that the albums were being remastered was 'Oh, I should wait and see if they sound worse than the previous releases' followed almost immediately by 'Wait, is it even possible for Nattens Madrigal to sound any worse than it already does?' The answer, of course being, no, though I'm sure that there's at least one person all decked out in leather, corpse paint, antler helmet, and druid robes who will, very vociferously I might add, say 'Yes' to that question. That person should probably stop eating the mushrooms growing under the oak trees.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: October 13, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »
It seems that both EPs, Silence Teaches You How To Sing and Silencing the Singing are getting a viny edition too.

https://www.ampullae-audio.com/product/ulver-silence-teaches-you-how-to-sing-silencing-the-singing

If Nattens Madrigal ends up sounding like the music was actually played within a twenty meter range of the recording device, then I shall consider that an improvement and might even end up acquiring this thing.
I hope the tapes were originally recorded with something better than this.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #411 on: October 25, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »
Neato.

Depending on the price point, that's pretty close to being a must buy for me as I do not yet own those Ulver albums. Hopefully the box set will be fairly affordable.

It's $60 once shipping is taken into account on the CM Distro's store (the American one). 5 CDs for that amount plus a hundred page book seems to be worth the money IMO. I just listened to those three albums for the first time not too long ago and I loved it and was thinking of getting the box set myself.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: November 19, 2014, 06:49:31 PM »

Just look at them, they're so... gorgeous.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: November 27, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »
So the boxset has been out for some days, and I've managed to give it a spin to the trilogy. First of all, these albums are louder than the original, a bit more compressed. But they sound glorious. I was thoroughly surprised that Nattens Madrigal actually sounded good. Yeah, it still feels like it was all recorded with cheap microphones, but the guitars are cleaner, and the drums actually feel more real, like they weren't recorded 20m away from the studio - just around 15m or 10m.

Bergtatt is even more superb than before. It already sounded good for a black metal album, but now the guitars and drums rise up and shine - and with the great treatment of vocals, now I can really see that Gram had an outstanding talent for his young age. Didn't pay enough attention to Kveldssanger, but it sounds nice and clear. Never heard the original recording of Vargnatt, thus can't compare it. But it's middle way between Bergtatt and Nattens Madrigal in terms of sound quality.

All in all, a great remix of these classic albums. Although a bit loud, they sound better than ever, and Nattens Madrigal is finally listenable. Go and get them.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: March 26, 2015, 11:10:42 PM »
So, today Perdition City is 15 years old. Damn, it just doesn't sound like from the beginning of the millennium - it's... timeless. Although I wasn't a fan of it on the first listens (despite the amazing Lost in Times), it has grown on me a lot - but I still have to be on the mood to appreciate it.

What are your thoughts on it? :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: March 27, 2015, 02:00:52 AM »
I still think it's their best album by quite a wide margin. That's no bash on the other albums though. What makes Perdition City my number 1 is that neo-noir feel to it. Compared to some of the other Ulver albums, it perfectly captures an atmosphere and manages to stay within that atmosphere throughout the album. Really just a work of art.  :heart

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: March 27, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
agreed it's timeless and a consistent neo-noir art meisterwerk. it'll likely never be removed from my #1 album of all time spot.

what really gets me too is the overall strength of Ulver during this period – Metamorphosis is brilliant (try prefacing PC with it!), and so is Teachings in Silence. it's like they could do nothing wrong.

Offline Art

« Reply #417 on: November 11, 2015, 07:49:31 AM »
Glad to see that there is a topic to talk about Ulver.

So they´ll be releasing a new record in January (i think).

House of Mythology proudly presents the new Ulver gatefold double album vinyl (also­ available on CD), with over 80 minutes worth of material. This album consists of multitracked and studio-enhanced live, mostly improvisational, rock and electronic soundscapes, 2/3 of which has never been heard before.

In Newton’s basic laws of motion – those which lie at the heart of modern physics – the paradox stands that constant velocity is essentially as natural as being at rest. True to form, in the now twenty-two-year-old life of Ulver, only one constant has remained, that being a forward-driving spirit that has moved this mercurial Norwegian-based collective forever through challenges and adventure anew, irrespective of reductive genre pigeonholing. Moreover, their latest voyage into the unknown is no different, marking another new chapter for an outfit characterised by wild and inspiring unpredictability, along with a fresh triumph for one of modern music’s most iconoclastic forces.

The basis for ATGCLVLSSCAP – which the band has been working with under the moniker ‘12’ – arrives from recordings made at twelve different live shows that Ulver performed in February 2014, in which band the band vaulted into the deep end of an improvisatory approach to their performance. As Kristoffer Rygg, the prime mover of the band since its inception puts it wryly, “The tour was to be an experiment, kind of loose and scary for a band as ‘set in their ways’ as us.”

Although the line-up for these shows remained similar to that on 2012’s psychedelic covers album Childhood’s End, and the band had taken succour from the sounds and headspace they explored on that record, this was another break into new territory, using their live energy and spontaneity as the fuel for aural explorations that would surprise even the band themselves. “At the end of any album process, I can’t wait to do something else,” comments Rygg. ”So yeah, it is partly borne out of that feeling, being a bit bored with the circumstances. It was quite liberating to do something more in the moment. One night a jam could be five minutes, and the next it could be fifteen. We couldn’t have captured these songs in a studio environment.”

Once the tour was over, it was down to his bandmate Daniel O’Sullivan to take charge of these multitrack recordings, sculpting and editing hours of material in his North London enclave, formerly owned by charismatic artist and Coil associate, the sadly departed Ian Johnstone – as O’Sullivan noted, “The hungry ghosts of the now empty house appear to be burrowing into this record.” Anders Møller, Kristoffer Rygg and Tore Ylwizaker got involved a bit later, honing things from their end in Subsonic Society and Oak Hill Studios, Oslo, before the vinyl cutting process took place at THD Vinyl Mastering, also in Oslo, in which the band was fully involved in the crucial initial cut of the 14” lacquer. What resulted is the widescreen sweep and atmospheric splendour of ATGCLVLSSCAP, ultimately a piece of work that exists above and beyond any conventional live recording, rather a hallucinatory travelogue as potent an experience to bear witness to as it was to construct.

As always in the world of Ulver, influences are disparate and diverse, yet as Rygg notes, “It’s quite tributary in a way, there are clear nods to sounds from the past.” Many of these dwell in progressive, electronic and krautrock realms, heralding a lifelong love within the band for the music of the 70s – the fiery mantras of ‘Om Hanumate Namah’ and the motorik drive of ‘Cromagnosis’ draw an astral trajectory between the propulsion of Kraftwerk/Neu! and the ritualistic intensity of prime Amon Düül II, whilst the spirits of both Klaus Schulze and John Carpenter are audible in the electronic soundscapes of ‘Desert/Dawn’, not to mention the Bernard Herrmann touch in the closing ‘Solaris’. Even when the band revisits an earlier gem from 2000’s Perdition City album, as on ‘Nowhere (Sweet Sixteen)’, its reinvigorated by their expansive and emotionally charged approach.

“We always feel like, independently of what kind of instrumentation we use, we’re still playing the same nocturnal stuff,” laughs Rygg. “There are a few motifs that keep recurring all the time in what we do, and if it’s in a rock form or an electronic form, it’s always there.” Yet as true as this may be, by shaking up their creative process, the band have summoned up a unique testimony to the creative power of a mighty force who remain blissfully free of genre or convention, ATGCLVLSSCAP is progressive in the truest sense of the word, a record that may be this capricious band’s pièce-de-resistance.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8jRTrv8etw

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: November 11, 2015, 10:12:27 AM »
"Cromagnosis" is already out because it was played in a podcast. Unbelievable.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »
"Cromagnosis" is already out because it was played in a podcast. Unbelievable.
Link, please? I'm pretty excited for this one  :o. :caffeine: