Author Topic: Cool JP interview  (Read 9611 times)

Offline contest_sanity

Re: Cool JP interview
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »
He goes into YouTube to watch people playing parts of his songs so he can remember how to play them?

Did he say he watches other people play them? Or videos of himself?

Both, actually
I thought, he being a Berkley musician and all, he could read Standard Notation which includes in which bar to play it etc.
They only teach you how to read music just before graduation.  JP never made it that far.  Everything before senior year is improv.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 11:06:54 PM »
It's easier to youtube someone than it is to look up and find musical notation of your songs and sit down and study it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tuneman

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »
He goes into YouTube to watch people playing parts of his songs so he can remember how to play them?

Both, actually
I thought, he being a Berkley musician and all, he could read Standard Notation which includes in which bar to play it etc.
They only teach you how to read music just before graduation.  JP never made it that far.  Everything before senior year is improv.

are you serious? wow. i am very suprised to hear that

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Yea, they all dropped out before graduating. Dunno how far along they were though.

In the end, it doesn't matter. They are all insanely good musicians, degree or no.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 11:49:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure they were freshmen or sophomores when they left.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 04:05:14 AM »

Both, actually
Funny.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 08:43:10 AM »

Both, actually
They only teach you how to read music just before graduation.
WTF? Really? It's not like it's really easy to read music for the school to start teaching you at the end.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:19 AM »
The more relevant fact is:  whether he can read standard notation or not, if he doesn't actually sit down and transcribe his songs (which he doesn't), there is nothing to read.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2010, 09:36:10 AM »
The more relevant fact is:  whether he can read standard notation or not, if he doesn't actually sit down and transcribe his songs (which he doesn't), there is nothing to read.

I thought he did eventually learn how to read standard notation. I remember reading an interview with him when An Evening with JR and JP was released, he stated something like it was easy to work with JR because he could read music.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2010, 09:37:44 AM »
But whether he knows how to read it or not, if he never transcribed any of his songs to begin with, there is literally nothing for him to read. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
But whether he knows how to read it or not, if he never transcribed any of his songs to begin with, there is literally nothing for him to read. 
I know what you mean. But maybe they have people that transcribe their stuff, right? Metallica has done it, DT has done it. JR does it. Since they have people doing it for them, I thought that maybe they just took a glance at their stuff once in a while.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
All I know is, if I had the choice between reading a chart of what someone else says I played, or watching film of me actually playing, I would choose the film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »
I know what you mean. But maybe they have people that transcribe their stuff, right? Metallica has done it, DT has done it. JR does it. Since they have people doing it for them, I thought that maybe they just took a glance at their stuff once in a while.

No, they don't.  Jordan trascribes his own parts, but that's it.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2010, 10:13:54 AM »
Haven't you seen the video of the guys that transcribed BC&SL? They are with JP and JR discussing the outcome. I'm talking about those tab books, they have a copy, maybe they'll take a look. If they don't, that's cool. I just thought they did.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2010, 10:15:24 AM »
No, I haven't.  But even if someone on the outside put together a tab book, that is a far cry from the band putting together standard notation for their songs.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
"You wacky guys you"

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJEaC5Y7EA

Check it out.

And you'll see how they said he could have it, and he just gave it back.  :lol

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJEaC5Y7EA

Check it out.

Oh my god how annoying is that bald guys voice at the beginning its like "wa wa wa mid gain meeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh"

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 06:03:33 AM »

What clef would JLB work in if he was to transcribe shovel riffs?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 09:39:12 AM »

The trowel clef :neverusethis:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 10:10:22 AM »

The trowel clef :neverusethis:

damn! :clap:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon