Author Topic: The amazing effects of The Count of Tuscany *warning, long boring story*  (Read 3540 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Let me share a pointless, useless story on my experience with this song.

BC&SL has been out for a while and therefore hasn't been in my cd player for a couple of months.  I manage and operate a few aquatic centres in my area, and this morning I woke early and decided to start early and manually vac the pool I was at today well before opening.  Getting the opportunity to listen to my mp3 player while I took my time doing this, I was listening to a random selection of tunes.  After some nice random songs from the likes of Rush, Eric Johnson, Sunstorm, Incubus and Bruce Dickinson I was treated with TCOT.  After not hearing it for a couple of months, I was more than happy to indulge in 20 minutes of bliss.

Now, as the acoustics started and John's amazing lead pleasured my ears, it was about 15 minutes before sunrise.  With a blanket of cloud on the horizon it was light, but not a great deal, but still dark enough to compliment the dark atmosphere in the beginning.  I never really realized how good that intro was.  As the instrumental breaks rolled in and eventually James takes us for a ride, it begins to lighten, and the heat this morning was immense.  Noticing the time, I had to hurry as there was wasn't that long until opening, combine my loss of time with the heat I was rushing and sweating much like the protagonist on his way to meet the count.  As the amazing frenzied instrumental sections continue around the nine minute mark I have a small hiccup with my vac, sending me a little frenzied myself.  By the time the slow section comes I have it sorted and have calmed back down.

As John's amazing guitar sends us of to dreamland for a few minutes, a couple of birds come down and decided to splash and play in the water, sending ripples and disturbing the water, I imagine trickling water sounds followed them as they bathed, very fitting so far.  Then as the final acoustics break in the light of day is seconds upon us.  The clouds have moved and the sun is about to beam on us.  As James tells us to wait a minute man, the sun is starting to shine.  The light of day is here and as James tells us to tell the world of the story and when he says the line "The Count of Tuscany" the sun is here and the brightness of John's lead lines shines as bright as the sun.  Remembering it was a lot darker on the intro guitar solo and the contrast on the final extended solo, it is so bright and powerful.

On a very hot morning and not much time to waste, at that moment in time, I was frozen and cold with goosebumps affecting my entire body, I couldn't move.  I eventually looked around and it was just one of those moments where you are thankful to have a good job, someone you care about and good health, just thankful to be alive, very amazing.  James' woooo's were ever so fitting also with the final part ending everything on a high.  The finale of this song really is something else, one of the best climaxes I've ever heard.  I didn't realize it's full potential until this morning.  Right now, I am spewing that I missed the tour and missed this song live.

Standouts are John and James on this song.  When James sings 'The Count of Tuscany' and Petrucci enters, that could be one of the best moments in music that we have seen for a long time.  Petrucci's half bend at 17:03 is too amazing to describe in words.  It's astounding how much emotion is expressed in this one bend alone, let alone the entire solo.  This song will stand the test of time and forever be on the top of DT lists along with Pull Me Under, Metropolis, Octavarium, A Change of Seasons etc.

Sorry for my long, boring story, but I feel I had to share my excitement about this song and how I opened up to it in such an epic way!

Well done DT.  :hefdaddy

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wolfking..great stuff. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago driving to Florida. ITPOE started as I rolled out of me driveway catapaulting me onward..and about an hour later, as we were driving over a crest of a hill in southern Rhode Island just as the sun was risingf, the opening of TMOLS began...and it was glorious!

BTW..where are you where it is so hot?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
That's an amazing story!  :tup. I played TCOT on Audiosurf yesterday night and since it was some time since I heard it it was soo epic, I know what you felt and I cant help that I sing along.

Offline blackngold29

Pretty awesome story right there. I love it when music syncs up with real life. Love that guitar part at the end as well. :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wolfking..great stuff. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago driving to Florida. ITPOE started as I rolled out of me driveway catapaulting me onward..and about an hour later, as we were driving over a crest of a hill in southern Rhode Island just as the sun was risingf, the opening of TMOLS began...and it was glorious!

BTW..where are you where it is so hot?

Nice.

I am in Australia my friend.  We have just officially ended our summer, but it can still get toasty for most of the Autumn/Fall.

Offline icon_bleed

• a song ago
  • the sky, the sea and stup me
its true.. by confession also.. i give a year for all DT's released albums and always realized there's something awesome in most criticised tracks... just FII and SC
a plumber always sees a reject outfall come out to the sea....

Offline samopus

Your story wasn't boring at all... it was so nice !
Some of DT songs seems written for me or people I love!
They're amazing. I'm not fan for a long time and still I don't manage to listen to 6DOT but i'm a little bit "addict"...
And by the way ! if you could send me in france a little bit of sun and warmth !!!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
I happen to be into BC&SL again too, after laying it aside for a couple of months.

It's still great, and The Shattered Fortress is still growing.

Absolute GOLD (basically the last three epics):

The Count of Tuscany - great use of teh ambient.
The Best of Times - what a great use of different musical themes.
The Shattered Fortress - what a great use of reprising the most awesome riffs of the AA suite in a different form/arrangement.

And to a slightly lesser extent:

A Nightmare to Remember - The awesome sections of this song are among DT's best musical moments, but the keyboard solo and MP's rap aren't doing the song justice. I'm sorry to bring up the rap again, I don't hate it, and to be honest it does distinct the song from their other songs. It was pretty fun live, too. I'm just not sold on the delivery, but I appreciate MP's idea for it.

Don't care for:

Wither
A Rite of Passage

Which is not a problem AT ALL. These still aren't bad songs, and overall this record holds his own in the DT body of work. It's like they combined the aggressiveness of ToT with their 'old school' melodics and dynamics.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Your story wasn't boring at all... it was so nice !
Some of DT songs seems written for me or people I love!
They're amazing. I'm not fan for a long time and still I don't manage to listen to 6DOT but i'm a little bit "addict"...
And by the way ! if you could send me in france a little bit of sun and warmth !!!

:tup