Author Topic: Look at this photo.  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Look at this photo.
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »

Now watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdRLlqdgA4

Whoa! I couldn't imagine doing something like this.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Look at this photo.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
It's nice work, but it's a couple of hours of painting and weeks of digital processing. It's a fantastic job of digital artistry, but it's not exemplary of their finger painting program.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
It's cool. That's about it. Handful of years ago this would be amazing. Now? Not so much. It's the patience and dedication that I find miraculous. Even if I had the know how and skill to do so, my patience would have me saying fuck it after a few hours.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
Call me a skeptic but take a good look at this photograph. Yes, it is a photograph from this website.

Now, when you carefully compare it to the video you will find that there is zero difference. Sherlock Holmes would tell you that it is far more likely that the video is the same photograph with increasingly blurred layers placed over it and then run in reverse. I'm inclined to agree.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 03:52:37 PM »
I agree with Podaar.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:27:55 PM »
Either that, or he was just putting the original image under the canvas and then just did quick A/B comparisons to see where he's still off. In which case it just boils down to seeing differences and removing them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »
Either that, or he was just putting the original image under the canvas and then just did quick A/B comparisons to see where he's still off. In which case it just boils down to seeing differences and removing them.

It has to be either this, or Podaar's explanation. This is why I don't find this kind of computer art impressive at all. Anyone can do it if they have the time and patience. If they had actually finger painted for real, then I'd be impressed, because that would require skill.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
Yeah, to be actually impressive they should show the physical canvas somewhere, with the guy slowly painting it. A computer screen just makes it too easy.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:43:00 AM »
Call me a skeptic but take a good look at this photograph. Yes, it is a photograph from this website.

Now, when you carefully compare it to the video you will find that there is zero difference. Sherlock Holmes would tell you that it is far more likely that the video is the same photograph with increasingly blurred layers placed over it and then run in reverse. I'm inclined to agree.

Well there goes the wind out of my sails.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »
I am amazed at the sheer number of individual permalinks about this video, yet nothing even remotely mentions the prior existence of that photograph. I am skeptical as well, but it is still odd.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 11:45:25 PM »
Impressive Morgan Freeman pictures?  Okay.

That was done with crayons, by Don Marco, the 'master crayon artist'.
Sincerely,
Jaffa