Author Topic: Any Chance of the Twelve-Step Suite being played during DT's Summer Tour?  (Read 3463 times)

Offline pietro123

• The Silent Man
  • |eruditio.vivo|
Seeing as how DT will be opening for Maiden, it's safe to assume that they'll get the shorter set length. The TSS clocks in at roughly around an hour. In saying that, does anyone think that DT will just play the TSS during their sets while on tour with Maiden? It seems pretty probable in my eyes, plus it would be amazing...obviously.
Through Nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I doubt it.

From a personal perspective, I would appreciate not seeing it live when they are opening for someone.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Shadow2222

I'm 95% sure that it won't be played. MAYBE The Shattered Fortress, but I still doubt that.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I doubt it.

I would expect it to be during a show where they are headlining.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Setlist Scotty

I don't know the setlist, but I am 100% confident that the 12 Step Suite won't be played to open any of the Maiden shows. It makes no sense - opening for Maiden is an opportunity for DT to attract new fans, so the setlist is going to be geared towards them - in other words, no epics, maybe one semi-epic and no ballads. Playing the entire 12 Step Suite would be for DT's fans, and that's not who they're catering to on this tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know the setlist, but I am 100% confident that the 12 Step Suite won't be played to open any of the Maiden shows. It makes no sense - opening for Maiden is an opportunity for DT to attract new fans, so the setlist is going to be geared towards them - in other words, no epics, maybe one semi-epic and no ballads. Playing the entire 12 Step Suite would be for DT's fans, and that's not who they're catering to on this tour.

God I hope so (bolded/underlined part).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
I'd expect The Glass Prison, but that may be too long

I'm thinking The Mirror/Lie, Pull Me Under, As I Am, War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All, maybe Fatal Tragedy

More metal songs. I was thinking they'd want to pick shorter songs because that's what Maiden fans are used to

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Not sure of the whole set list but I think these are no-brainers:

The Mirror
Lie
Metropolis
As I Am
The Test That Stumped Them All
Pull Me Under

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Maybe they'll finally play some JM centric songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Not sure of the whole set list but I think these are no-brainers:

The Mirror
Lie
Metropolis
As I Am
The Test That Stumped Them All
Pull Me Under

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of those were in the rotation. 

Yeah, I can't really see them doing the suite.  Maybe TGP.  But with such a short set, I wouldn't necessarily expect it.  And I'm sure they'll have one softer song in the set as well.  Even though Maiden is a metal band, they usually have something along those lines in their set.  Probably Wither, I would guess.  I would say they will also likely include ANTR or AROP (but not both).  I was initially thinking they might dust off some other things that have gotten little or no play, like These Walls.  But again, with such a short set, I think they'll probably not reach too far, and will save that kind of thing for their own tours next year.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
They should just do Awake in its entirety. But since they won't do Space Dye Vest, then just finish it off with Pull Me Under.

:metal :metal :metal

:lol

That'd make me a happy fan. Won't happen, but I can dream.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
No, they should actually do Awake in its entirely up to SDV, and then just play the first measure and then walk off stage.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
No, they should actually do Awake in its entirely up to SDV, and then just play the first measure and then walk off stage.

They should clearly do a Polka remix of SDV with portnoy on vocals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

They should clearly do a Polka remix of SDV with portnoy on vocals.

:rollin  I'm only laughing because I actually pictured an accordion and tuba version of the song with MP doing ANTR shouting vocals.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:43:06 PM by bösk1 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

Win.

Although being a fan of the tune, I'd like to hear it. *closes the can of worms*

Offline The Letter M

I'd say they'll open with either ANTR and/or AROP, close with PMU, and have, at least The Mirror/Lie and/or WIMH/TTTSTA. As for what else, it'll probably be based off of what they've been playing, and whatever they might pull out during the current tour leg in Southern America. I wouldn't expect too many surprises with an hour-long set for them, and they probably won't want to have to re-learn songs they haven't been touring recently, so if it hasn't been played in the last year live, they probably won't do it.

Just, prospectively, judging by recent setlists, if they have an hour...

A Nightmare To Remember
A Rite Of Passage
The Mirror
Lie
Sacrificed Sons
In The Name Of God

6 songs, just a bit around an hour... and it would be KILLER. I think those are probably the best, heavy songs from their recent setlist, and SS provides a bit of a breather space for them (the first half at least), and closing with ITNOG would just be epic.

Although I do agree about them playing shorter songs to withhold the attention of Iron Maiden's fans, I don't think it'll matter, really, since songs like ANTR and ITNOG are sectionalized to the point that it almost sounds like 3-4 songs blended together anyway. I think that set of 6 songs would be a treat, and would make for a FINE live recording (then again, we already have SS and ITNOG recordings, but it'd be hard to pick anything else that's heavy and hasn't been released live by the band officially).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
They haven't played The Count of Tuscany in Phoenix yet. Hopefully Mike's OCD is too much for him to handle and they bust out one epic for my show.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
I'm guessing Pull Me Under is going to be played for sure.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline contest_sanity

How's about 'Peruvian Skies' or 'Just Let Me Breathe?'  JLMB is just a great heavy song, while PS has a nice mixture of balladry and heaviness. 

When I was typing JLMB just now, I thought about what you get when you take the M out, which in turn lead to this thought:

Just Let Me Labrieathe!!!  He can rewrite the lyrics to attack all the haters who give him a hard time for missing notes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
does anyone think that DT will just play the TSS during their sets while on tour with Maiden?
:huh: No, of course not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonE

Although it would be awesome to see it live, I'm guessing that won't happen, and they'll save it for a future tour--perhaps if they do "evening with" shows again.

Do you think they'll stick with a static setlist, or will they change it up from night to night?  Granted, they have an opening slot, which means less time to play around.  However, even when they opened/co-headlined with Megadeth in 2005, they changed things around from show to show.  They'll probably do some tweaks here and there, but you can expect a framework.

This is typical of what I expect to see-assuming they get about an hour:

Nightmare to Remember
Constant Motion
Rite of Passage
Sacrified Sons (or possibly Panic Attack)
Solitary Shell (extended version). 
Pull Me Under or Metropolis

If they want to go heavier, they could break out "War Inside My Head/The Test that Stumped them All" or "As I Am"

In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about