Author Topic: A message to Mike and a quick introduction  (Read 7960 times)

Offline sammmuk

A message to Mike and a quick introduction
« on: March 08, 2010, 06:10:21 AM »
Hi everyone, after reading the forums for a while I decided to finally join, probably with a first post that will either get locked or make me look stupid, but anyway. Firstly, I have been a Dream Theater fan since Train of Thought came out in 2003 back when I was 12 years old and loved the heavy sound, of course, over time I've accumulated all of their albums, DVD's etc and have never had a problem with any of the music. I think all of the keyboardists and vocal moments have been great - which is what this message is about. I've noticed a lot of hate towards Mike's vocals in ANTR which I think is quite uncalled for, firstly everyone loves his drumming because it always suits the music perfectly, but when he does vocals which are the best sound to fit the music (Seriously, I don't think JLB could have made those  lines which are hardly poignant or thought provoking sound as good as MP) everyone suddenly starts making fun of it. I for one quite enjoy the vocals, I think it's a nice break from all of the (Perfect and good sounding, of course) harmonies and higher notes of the rest of the band's musical collection and the rest of BC&SL.
Furthermore, although this is a bit more of a stupid point to make, I think bashing his vocals on his bands forum is a bit harsh, I mean, it's not like he's never had trouble in the past, it's not like he wrote a whole 12 step suite about it, not that they're related, but come on I think this guy needs more credit than he got for these vocals and should be cut some slack. Sorry for the long / boring / probably already discussed post but I would like to discuss why you don't like his vocals, and if you do, show some appreciation for them.  ;D

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: A message to Mike and a quick introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
Portnoy...vocalist?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:18:49 AM »
welcome to the board.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline sammmuk

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:22:40 AM »
Thanks. Hope I've not annoyed anyone with that post, just felt like speaking up about it though really. On the topic of vocalists, what's people's general opinion on Kevin Moore's version of Space-Dye Vest round here? Heard it for the first time the other day, thought it was pretty cool...

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:30:29 AM »
Oh my, we're gonna have fun with this one. :D
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:33:12 AM »
I can appreaciate you sammmuk, and I agree that his vocals aren't as bad as some people believe.  :tup
gone

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 06:33:29 AM »
Thanks. Hope I've not annoyed anyone with that post, just felt like speaking up about it though really. On the topic of vocalists, what's people's general opinion on Kevin Moore's version of Space-Dye Vest round here? Heard it for the first time the other day, thought it was pretty cool...

The best description for the opinion on the song would be "divided".
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
I agree with the OP.  But I also think that James LaBrie is the vocalist.  Mike seems to be a little self-conscious about how James' voice sounds over heavy music, but I it sounds amazing.  If the band would give James a chance to shriek like he does in, say, Bucharest TGP, they would be fine and Mike wouldn't need to sing.

That said, I really like Mike's background vocals and I think the call & return in Constant Motion is fantastic.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:30:40 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:42 AM »
Call and return on TGP is epic IMO
gone

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 07:05:18 AM »
Blah blah blah blah blah

welcome

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:07:46 AM »

The best description for the opinion on the song would be "divided".

And something you should know about these boards:

Try not to bring up something Kevin Moore related in an unrelated thread...

Offline sammmuk

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 07:08:18 AM »
Yeah, there's also that bit in In The Name Of God before the solo where JLB does some background shrieking, I think that could've made ANTR a lot more dynamic

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 07:29:19 AM »
:facepalm:

Welcome to DTF....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 08:28:24 AM »

My opinion of Kevin Moore's vocals is that they suck.

:corn

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 08:29:04 AM »
Welcome to the forums!   I'm with you, I really like MP's vocal on ANTR.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 08:30:51 AM »

My opinion of Kevin Moore's vocals is that they suck.

:corn
But he had a microphone and some lyrics so what the fuck
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 08:31:26 AM »
Welcome to the forums!   I'm with you, I really like MP's vocal on ANTR.

I know. Sure, they sound a little bit silly.  But is there ONE DT fan out there who didn't feel compelled to start screaming along "Day after day..." at ANY DT show?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:49:07 AM »
I'm with you, I really like MP's vocal on ANTR.

Same here.  I take them on a case-by-case basis, but I haven't disliked any of Mike's vocals on any final version of a DT song so far.  ANTR is just about perfect (although the "rooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!" at the end feels very unnecessary to me).  Same with Constant Motion, The Glass Prison, The Shattered Fortress, etc.  Does that mean I'd like to see Mike take over more leads?  Dunno.  It all depends on how they sound.  As I said, I can't really think of any final version of songs I don't like.  But take the demos for TBOT Wither for example.  I much prefer James' vocals on those to the demos by Mike and JP.  James' voice was perfect for those. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »
I like mike's vocals, excluding the ones on Black Clouds (INVENTORY ANALYSIS + ANTR). However, all the other songs he sings on, plus his demo of TBOT, are really great! I think he has a nice singing voice, but I'm not a fan of the growl thing.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
You know what would be good? instead of mike going "ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR" at the end, he should do it like it is, but have Labrie come on at the end for a big LATM style YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......

So,

"...EVERYONE SURVIVED!" "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.............."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »
VERILYYYYYYYYYY!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »
 :rollin
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »
Hi everyone, after reading the forums for a while I decided to finally join, probably with a first post that will either get locked or make me look stupid, but anyway. Firstly, I have been a Dream Theater fan since Train of Thought came out in 2003 back when I was 12 years old and loved the heavy sound, of course, over time I've accumulated all of their albums, DVD's etc and have never had a problem with any of the music. I think all of the keyboardists and vocal moments have been great - which is what this message is about. I've noticed a lot of hate towards Mike's vocals in ANTR which I think is quite uncalled for, firstly everyone loves his drumming because it always suits the music perfectly, but when he does vocals which are the best sound to fit the music (Seriously, I don't think JLB could have made those  lines which are hardly poignant or thought provoking sound as good as MP) everyone suddenly starts making fun of it. I for one quite enjoy the vocals, I think it's a nice break from all of the (Perfect and good sounding, of course) harmonies and higher notes of the rest of the band's musical collection and the rest of BC&SL.
Furthermore, although this is a bit more of a stupid point to make, I think bashing his vocals on his bands forum is a bit harsh, I mean, it's not like he's never had trouble in the past, it's not like he wrote a whole 12 step suite about it, not that they're related, but come on I think this guy needs more credit than he got for these vocals and should be cut some slack. Sorry for the long / boring / probably already discussed post but I would like to discuss why you don't like his vocals, and if you do, show some appreciation for them.  ;D

Welcome to the board.

If you've been observing, you should know the difference between "bashing" and giving an opinion. I think Mike's vocals in ANTR are horrid, and really is not something I enjoy listening to. I can deal with him singing a harmony with James to layer the vocal lines. But not a big fan of the whole "growl" thing. There comes a time where a band member's interests may take him/her away from the core "sound" of a band. That's cool, but that's what side projects are for.

Anyway, Mike has come a long way in his vocals, but i still don't really enjoy hearing him sing. And that's not bashing, that's just feedback from a fan. I don't go to a DT show or listen to a DT album to hear Mike's voice. I go to hear him play, and hear James sing (and everyone else play, of course). Backup vocals are fine, but highlighted spots of Mike doing lead (in whatever style) are just not needed, and not wanted, at least in my opinion.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
There comes a time where a band member's interests may take him/her away from the core "sound" of a band. That's cool, but that's what side projects are for.

Okay, I am not overly wild about Portnoy's vocal section in ANTR (although I don't think it sucks as much as some do), but what does your comment even mean?  The band's core "sound"?  Last time I checked, Dream Theater considers themselves progressive metal, and part of being progressive is taking chances and doing things outside of the box.  See, that is the problem with most newer bands who call themselves progressive; they stick to their core sound and become convinced that long songs and odd time sigs are what make them prog, as opposed to taking chances and being, ya know, progressive! :P  DT may not have fully connected on that one, IMO, but at least they tried something different.  That, my friend, is being progressive. :)

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »
welcome, sir.  I enjoy his vocals periodically as well

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 09:51:55 AM »

Welcome, sammmuk.  I'm one of the biggest Kevin Moore fans around, but I'm not crazy about his voice on SDV.  JLB's voice gives the song a much more polished sound IMO.  But I love Kevin's voice in Chroma Key and OSI. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline sammmuk

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 09:59:22 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the replies, you're all a lot more friendly than I imagined. One thing I wanna point out is that I wasn't trying to attack anyone who didn't like MP's vocals, just thought it'd be nice to show him a bit more respect. Also, I don't want him to take over lead vocals, but I DO think what he did really was the best option for their music :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »
I dislike that section of ANTR, but it isn't just because of his vocals, and I don't disrespect Mike at all. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »
I don't care about it. It's a Demo. I won't go apeshit. The final result is what matters.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
There comes a time where a band member's interests may take him/her away from the core "sound" of a band. That's cool, but that's what side projects are for.

Okay, I am not overly wild about Portnoy's vocal section in ANTR (although I don't think it sucks as much as some do), but what does your comment even mean?  The band's core "sound"?  Last time I checked, Dream Theater considers themselves progressive metal, and part of being progressive is taking chances and doing things outside of the box.  See, that is the problem with most newer bands who call themselves progressive; they stick to their core sound and become convinced that long songs and odd time sigs are what make them prog, as opposed to taking chances and being, ya know, progressive! :P  DT may not have fully connected on that one, IMO, but at least they tried something different.  That, my friend, is being progressive. :)

My comment means what it says, thanks. And I disagree with you. All bands have an element of what they "sound like." when they veer too far off the path, you tend to lose people. Some bands (DT, Queensryche) have a wider "box" than others (Megadeth, Metallica). But at the end of the day, if you push the envelope too far, bands fall off a cliff. Not saying DT is at that point, but the whole growl vocal section is absolutely not something I wish to hear from Dream Theater.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 12:29:42 PM »
Samsära, I vehemently disagree with you here.

Once a band takes their sound as far as they can take it, it's very important they change things up to keep me interested. Take Iron Maiden and Megadeth for example. Both established a reliable, wonderful style for themselves in the 80's and 90's. But it's 2010 now. You can only release so many albums operating under one style before you get boring. Both crossed that threshold years ago.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline sammmuk

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »

but the whole growl vocal section is absolutely not something I wish to hear from Dream Theater.

Not saying you are, but you could be a minority, and if a majority of people like the growling, that means they've gone into the envelope rather than out, right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »
U2 and Radiohead are two great examples of popular modern bands who radically changed their sound, and not only kept their popularity, but arguably got more popular.  Okay, they are more the exceptions than the rule, and I am not saying DT should do the same, but I see nothing wrong with doing a song or even a section in a song that strays quite a bit from their core sound.  The minute you start thinking, "Uh oh, this doesn't sound like what we normally do," you are in trouble.

As for growling or rough vocals not being want you wish to hear from DT, with all due respect, they are not in business to cater to a single fan.  You can't make everyone happy.  Heck, they have done quite a few things I haven't liked over the years, and, yes, I was quite vocal about it at times, but again, they are not in business to make me or anyone else but themselves happy.  Sure, we vent at times, but I think we all realize that the band does and should do what they want for themselves and nobody else.  :)

Offline sammmuk

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »

As for growling or rough vocals not being want you wish to hear from DT, with all due respect, they are not in business to cater to a single fan.  You can't make everyone happy.  Heck, they have done quite a few things I haven't liked over the years, and, yes, I was quite vocal about it at times, but again, they are not in business to make me or anyone else but themselves happy.  Sure, we vent at times, but I think we all realize that the band does and should do what they want for themselves and nobody else.  :)

That's EXACTLY what I was trying to say

Offline j

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 12:59:54 PM »
I've found myself agreeing with the vast majority of your posts on DT lately Samsara, but here I gotta go with Kev and TOX.  I don't love every piece of music DT puts out and I often say so, but at no point have I ever come close to thinking "man, they are really straying too far from their sound, I wish they'd stop experimenting."  Quite the opposite lately, actually.

-J