6 (5.4%)
Songwriting
4 (3.6%)
Everything
84 (75.7%)
Fine the way it is
3 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Who wants more JMX?  (Read 8185 times)

Offline OperantChamber

Who wants more JMX?
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
It seems like everyone here at DTF wants more JMX.
In the mix, in lyrics, and in songwriting. Is there anyone here who doesn't?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Who wants more JMX?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »
right here

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:58:18 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to see him back in the mix. It's almost as if he is a hired studio bassist
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »
More volume in the mix. The rest is just unrealistic, JMX is simply not part of the writing process anymore. JR tells him what to play.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:31:50 PM »
Everything. Definitely everything.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
Everything please. I've always had severe trouble hearing him even on FII where I hear him better than any other album. That said, DT(read:"the people who REALLY made this silly rule") really need to drop that bullshit rule about the structuring of lyrics around the melody/song or however the fuck it goes. Boo fuckin hoo if you have to work a tiny bit harder to get a song completed. This rule coupled with the self-production seem to have really compromised the potential of their releases in recent years through the saminess. Even though they still span a decent spectrum of styles it starts to get that feeling of going to Denny's or Taco Bell where no matter what they make or how they try to vary things it's still being made from the same palette of 15-20 ingredients.

Those of you looking for an excellent prog metal album where the bass is richly present in the mix should check out Spiral Architect's 2000 release A Sceptic's Universe.

Edit: Awesome! Post #2112  :metal
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »
I wish I could check "Everything" and "Fine the way it is."

Because it would be awesome if he were allowed to do more.  But it's not like DT are a shitty band without his godlike input.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »
i love JMX, so i checked everything.

what a man.

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:02:20 PM »
I checked everything.  I really miss being able to easily hear him in the mix... and I really miss his actual songwriting.  Learning to Live and Trial of Tears are some of my favorite DT, both musically and lyrically. 

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 11:49:17 PM »
Songwriting and Lyrics, although the former is highly unrealistic.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 12:07:48 AM »
I love his input and would like to hear him more in the mix, but the question is, is he bothered by not being part of the writing process?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 12:17:58 AM »
I love his input and would like to hear him more in the mix, but the question is, is he bothered by not being part of the writing process?

If he isn't bothered then I'd guess he's indifferent at best since I can't imagine someone with his talent level who was regularly part of the writing process being all-too-happy about being relegated to a position closer to hired gun.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 12:58:04 AM »
More volume in the mix. The rest is just unrealistic, JMX is simply not part of the writing process anymore. JR tells him what to play.

rumborak
This

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 01:09:58 AM »
I wish I could check "Everything" and "Fine the way it is."

Because it would be awesome if he were allowed to do more.  But it's not like DT are a shitty band without his godlike input.

I see your point.
The last option was really meant to mean something more like: "JMX should be put in a box and kept there."

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 01:14:22 AM »
Correct me if Iīm wrong but some people here seem to be implying that heīs not allowed to have more input. I completely disagree, I think he just doesnīt want/put the necessary effort/doesnīt care about having more input in the band. Itīs his decision, no one is preventing him from doing so. And itīs not because DTīs style of working, the other 4 members have their input under the same set of rules.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:59:02 AM by reneranucci »

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 01:22:09 AM »
Correct me if Iīm wrong but some people here seem to be implying that heīs not allowec to have more input. I completely disagree, I think he just doesnīt want/put the necessary effort/doesnīt care about having more input in the band. Itīs his decision, no one is preventing him from doing so. And itīs not because DTīs style of working, the other 4 members have their input under the same set of rules.

It seems to me from the outside looking in that the JP-JR-MP trio are boxing him out.
I'm thinking specifically of an interview MP did about Raw Dog where he mentions that putting the music together flows naturally for the three of them.
It could very well be that JMX is doing exactly what he wants to. We'd have to ask the man himself, I guess.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 02:40:11 AM »
It is very unfortunate that JM has stopped being one of the main creative forces in the band...
I wish he would contribute more, in the composing process, but also with some lyrics. After Octavarium, i think DT lyrics have gone really downhill, and JM would give some creative ideas.
Also, DT sound really needs more creative bass lines, because in the last albums it sounds like there is a hired bass player doubling JP riffs with no musical input at all.
To be honest, i really hate JR playing over the riffs, i dont like the sound and i think it is one reason why the bass hasn't a disticntive part in the mix.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 06:14:40 AM »
I think there's enough low end in the bass in the recordings. The problem is the lack of high end. If they add more high end into the mix, you'll be able to hear the punch and clarity in JM's playing.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 06:18:26 AM »
Who wants more JMX?

JMX does, I'm sure.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 06:27:58 AM »
Everything.
gone

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 06:35:37 AM »
I think there's enough low end in the bass in the recordings. The problem is the lack of high end. If they add more high end into the mix, you'll be able to hear the punch and clarity in JM's playing.

Possibly, but I think playing with a pick on the low strings on the heavier songs could provide more low end.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
Correct me if Iīm wrong but some people here seem to be implying that heīs not allowed to have more input. I completely disagree, I think he just doesnīt want/put the necessary effort/doesnīt care about having more input in the band. Itīs his decision, no one is preventing him from doing so. And itīs not because DTīs style of working, the other 4 members have their input under the same set of rules.

The problem is that nobody knows for sure what he's doing in studio anymore. During the few Vokle chats with Jordan I tried to ask the same question: What is John Myung's role in the studio these days?

I really want to know, because that'll clear up all sorts of confusion

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 07:18:07 AM »

Possibly, but I think playing with a pick on the low strings on the heavier songs could provide more low end.

Hmm... playing with a pick would only give it more attack. The low end is usually always there isn't it? DT's current mixes have enough low end, I think people actually want more high end when they say they want more JMX.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 07:25:04 AM »

The problem is that nobody knows for sure what he's doing in studio anymore. During the few Vokle chats with Jordan I tried to ask the same question: What is John Myung's role in the studio these days?

I don't think it's much of a secret really anymore. There was some video where (I think) MP said JMX usually shows up at the gig, plays his stuff, and leaves. Same thing with the recordings. He shows up, learns the lines, and records them.

Hmm... playing with a pick would only give it more attack. The low end is usually always there isn't it? DT's current mixes have enough low end, I think people actually want more high end when they say they want more JMX.

It's a combination of things. Yes, high-end would help too, but not doubling JP helps a lot too.

rumborak

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 07:50:44 AM »
I'm rather neutral with Bass overall. Sure I love a good Bass bit like in Metropolis or the start of Panic Attack but if it's not there I don't miss it much.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 08:12:49 AM »

It's a combination of things. Yes, high-end would help too, but not doubling JP helps a lot too.

rumborak

Oh, you're definitely right about that. It's kinda sad that the wah wah bass riff in Raw Dog is actually mostly JR, with JM doubling it in the background. The direction the band is taking makes it hard for the bass to have a lot of freedom though. Rock music usually has more freedom for the basslines, but metal in general is more restricting. That's what I think anyways, but then again there are plenty of metal bands out there (Devin Townsend, Pain of Salvation, Cynic) that have pretty cool basslines so ignore what I said.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 08:30:09 AM »
I dunno dude. Listen to the bass lines on Suspended Animation, and I think that shows that, no matter how "hard" the music is, a good bass line always adds to the music.
Problem is, someone needs to write it, and not just let be an afterthought of the writing process.

rumborak

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 08:42:39 AM »
At this point I'd actually prefer someone more enthusiastic playing.

*puts up flameshield*

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »
Everything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 11:42:17 AM »

I think at the end, the option in the poll should be "distinct basslines that allow JM to be heard" instead of "more volume in the mix"

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
Everything.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 12:01:20 PM »
The works.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

I think at the end, the option in the poll should be "distinct basslines that allow JM to be heard" instead of "more volume in the mix"

I agree with this. As I said many times before, the problem is not the bass volume itself. It's rather a combination of doubling the guitar lines (sometimes keyboard lines) and using an unhealthy amount of distortion/overdrive. Also, now that JM uses a MM Bongo bass (which has a much bigger bottom end than his Yamaha basses), he almost wastes its potential by creating a sound full of distortion since it amplifies the mids and low highs and cuts down the bottom end quite a bit.

I don't know where it comes from, but I prefer the cleaner, more pure bass sound he used on I&W and FII, which, by the way, made a very interesting counterpoint to the heavy guitar riffs imo.

Also, what sometimes irks me is that JR is sometimes playing in the same octave as JM (mostly during the heavy songs), which takes up even more space that actually belongs to the bass player. But that's kind of a different chapter.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »
I am not sure about the songwriting and lyrics, I think DT can take this decision better than me, but the volume certainly. i just donīt understand why its mixed so low, JM is part of the band too :-[
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »
I love the bass mix in Score