Poll

Aye or nope?

Aye
136 (70.1%)
Nope
58 (29.9%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Do you like Raw Dog?  (Read 35242 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you like Raw Dog?
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 10:30:10 PM »
I need to create a new word meaning both evil and awesome to describe the intro.

awvil?

awevil

You have to keep the e.

Sounds too much like "awful".  Maybe evawlsome? (Eev-awl-sum)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 10:30:44 PM »
I like it. It's a nice romp. What Mr. 1 said about expectations is really interesting, though. Something I'd like to discuss further.

Oh, and to the thread creator: Thank you for creating a yes/no poll with the only two options being yes and no (aye/nope).

Offline JoSeM90DT

• A Venezuelan Dreamer
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 11:34:36 PM »
Yep, the best track from the EP followed by Trivium's "Shattering the Skies Above" :metal

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 12:09:18 AM »
It's good, but not great.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »
Aye, it rocks pretty hard.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 01:38:02 AM »
Is the the track length 7:31? mine is and it feels like it cuts off suddenly..

I guess nobody knows the answer to that?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 01:42:37 AM »
I need to create a new word meaning both evil and awesome to describe the intro.

awvil?

awevil

You have to keep the e.

Sounds too much like "awful".  Maybe evawlsome? (Eev-awl-sum)

I disagree...I think we need to start a poll

o :biggrin:

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 02:01:14 AM »
Is the the track length 7:31? mine is and it feels like it cuts off suddenly..

I guess nobody knows the answer to that?
I think its 7:35, at least on the version I've heard. I like the song, but its nothing special, it but it fits it purpose to heavy backgroundmusic in a game. I rank it on the lowest spot Dream Theaters instrumentals, but that's not to say it's bad, its just nothing in it that grabs my attention.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 02:14:27 AM »
Mine is 7:35 too but it cuts off suddenly at 7:31 then the rest is silent, I dunno.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 02:59:42 AM »
Okay since no one here had a clue I compared my version to the youtube version, the youtube version fades out while mine just ends at 7:31 and the remaining 4 second are totally silent, dunno why it does that, I'm guessing it fades into the next track and since I only got Raw Dog it sounds like that.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:56 AM »
I thought it was a pretty neat track, but not one I would listen to regularly. Much better than the shitty Opeth track on that EP.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 03:36:06 AM »
Yep, the best track from the EP followed by Trivium's "Shattering the Skies Above" :metal

I actually agree and I usually hate Trivium.

Offline TheCor

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 03:50:14 AM »
after first listen, it's ok at best.   nothing all that memorable in the song, but i suppose that's alright for a video game; the music isn't supposed to really catch your ear that much or it would distract from the gameplay.  sounds like they tuned down to A and JP's usual guitar tone sounds kinda weak at a tuning that low.  the abrupt ending must mean this song is somehow a sequel to pull me under.   ;)  also, just got the trivium track from this album, IMO it's also subpar compared to their last couple albums.  i think i'll pass on getting the rest of the songs from this release.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 04:50:54 AM »
ATM, I will say "no."  It is definitely the least of their instrumentals.  It sounds even less cohesive than The Dance of Eternity.

And WTF with people saying it's OK "in the context of the game."  It's not in the game. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 05:06:05 AM »
still haven't heard it.

:(
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 05:15:09 AM »
ATM, I will say "no."  It is definitely the least of their instrumentals.  It sounds even less cohesive than The Dance of Eternity.

And WTF with people saying it's OK "in the context of the game."  It's not in the game. 

Also God of War games have always had metal music amirite?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 06:48:25 AM »

From the way the band talked about the song initially, I wouldn't be positive they were that clear on it.  At least half of the press releases from when it was announced, especially those on the roadrunner side, said that the song was for the "Sountrack" and didn't mention anything about it being an an EP of "songs inspired by..." until later on.  The members also kept calling the game "Gods of War" for the longest time. I would not be able to guess whether they knew exactly what they were doing and what it was for.

It doesn't matter, though.  I think they did a good job either way.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 06:52:06 AM »
Especially seeing as the initial thread is
Dream Theater in God of War III
gone

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 07:29:34 AM »
I would probably describe the song as The Dance Of Eternity's, Stream Of Consciousness', and The Dark Eternal Night's immature younger brother.  You all know him.  He's the kid with ADD who always seems a bit off, but is a blast to be around because he's just so nuts and doesn't take anything seriously.  And while you definitely see the family resemblance, he could also just as easily be adopted.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 07:39:53 AM »
As many have said, it's probably good as a video game soundtrack. It's not a good song. For that it's just too thrown-together.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 07:52:35 AM »
I do like it. It's a little King Crimsonish for me at the beginning and end, but I think it's just fine. Sure, it doesn't have the grace of Erotomania, but I'm happy with it. It's exactly as I expected.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 08:12:37 AM »
I would probably describe the song as The Dance Of Eternity's, Stream Of Consciousness', and The Dark Eternal Night's immature younger brother.  You all know him.  He's the kid with ADD who always seems a bit off, but is a blast to be around because he's just so nuts and doesn't take anything seriously.  And while you definitely see the family resemblance, he could also just as easily be adopted.
I like that. Really immature, but a blast to listen to.

(also, re: evil and awesome... "Evesome.")

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »

I kinda agree with this.  Though it's definitely got that trademark DT sound, and is not my least favorite DT instrumental, the most I'd want to see from it live would be combined with TDEN as an outro jam or something.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 08:40:04 AM »
I think what bugs me the most about the song is that it stays on one chord, for 8 minutes. What happened to DT's strong suit, their chord progressions?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2010, 08:44:23 AM »
Listening for the first time, the first 30 or so seconds I didn't like at all, but it's been good since then.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2010, 09:37:05 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, they took 4 or 5 riffs that were left off during the black clouds sessions.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, they took 4 or 5 riffs that were left off during the black clouds sessions.

I'm pretty sure those only ended up being used under the solos.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »

oh, really.  I just figured it was something that was background music or something.  :P

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2010, 10:13:57 AM »
It's hard to break down into a yes or no answer. I like the parts of the song, I just don't like it AS a song.

Pretty much this. I voted "nope" but it's ok. When you listen to it, you gotta remember it's sorta like score for a movie. It's background music. In that context, I think it works for that particular game. But as an instrumental "song," I just don't know.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
...the most I'd want to see from it live would be combined with TDEN as an outro jam or something.

Well never really know how they'll play it until they play it since Mike in making his set lists likes to be as unpredictable as possible.  But my guess would be that it'll be played as part of a medley at some point in time, but will not be played in its entirety, except maybe as a one-off or something.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »
I fucking hate when DT does medleys!!

Why don't they play they whole damn song!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »
Because they have a lot of material, and a lot of their songs are long, and there's no way they can play all the music they want to play in a set, so they try to at least acknowledge some of the other material by playing a sample of it in a medley.  What's the problem with that?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »
I fucking hate when DT does medleys!!

Why don't they play they whole damn song!!

It makes me feel like Medley Schmedley!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »
Because they have a lot of material, and a lot of their songs are long, and there's no way they can play all the music they want to play in a set, so they try to at least acknowledge some of the other material by playing a sample of it in a medley.  What's the problem with that?
... don't tell me that seriously went over your head.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »
I actually like the medleys, but sometimes I wish they'd drop the extended versions of songs like Hollow Years or Solitary Shell (despite their awesomeness) and use the extra minutes to play another song or two.