Poll

Aye or nope?

Aye
136 (70.1%)
Nope
58 (29.9%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Do you like Raw Dog?  (Read 35261 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Do you like Raw Dog?
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2010, 08:03:47 AM »
Boy, you guys will argue about anything.  It's obvious this EP was just a fun, one off promotion by Roadrunner. I mean DT ARE musicians, can't they have a little fun just playing and writing an instrumental?

I liked it, for what it was. I've only heard it once, but it sounded like a much heavier, more static liquid tension experiment. So like. Solid Tension Experiment, hehe.
I liked the polyrhymical parts, I hope they will write with more of those. Yes most of the riffs were just thrown together, left overs from BCSL, but its just a fun nonsense track. I'm sure they didn't sit down and discuss the theme and meaning of it at all.

This is music, fun is not allowed!

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2010, 08:10:06 AM »
Boy, you guys will argue about anything.  It's obvious this EP was just a fun, one off promotion by Roadrunner. I mean DT ARE musicians, can't they have a little fun just playing and writing an instrumental?

I liked it, for what it was. I've only heard it once, but it sounded like a much heavier, more static liquid tension experiment. So like. Solid Tension Experiment, hehe.
I liked the polyrhymical parts, I hope they will write with more of those. Yes most of the riffs were just thrown together, left overs from BCSL, but its just a fun nonsense track. I'm sure they didn't sit down and discuss the theme and meaning of it at all.

Which are the polyrhythmic parts? I haven't really analysed anything but they just sound like normal odd times that DT have been doing for years.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
Boy, you guys will argue about anything.  It's obvious this EP was just a fun, one off promotion by Roadrunner. I mean DT ARE musicians, can't they have a little fun just playing and writing an instrumental?

No one's saying they can't have fun but a song with little to no effort put into it is still a song with little to no effort put into it and it shows.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2010, 09:00:20 AM »
It has some good sections. The part at 5:30 is fun (somewhat TDOE-like), and the one at 3:20 too (sounds like from Suspended Animation).
The solo section is on the more superfluous side of the spectrum however.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2010, 10:00:37 AM »

Yes most of the riffs were just thrown together, left overs from BCSL, but its just a fun nonsense track. I'm sure they didn't sit down and discuss the theme and meaning of it at all.
I don't understand your point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »
The song is brutal and has some awesome sections in it. I like the song.  :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2010, 01:19:46 PM »
AOL Posted a link to download one of the in game songs:
https://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/03/05/god-of-war-3-soundtrack-brothers-of-blood-free-mp3-download/

Very epic as always.

Offline j

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »
WTF is with the LTE comparisons?  Opinions of the song's quality aside, I don't hear any basis for that at all.

-J

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »
https://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/03/05/god-of-war-3-soundtrack-brothers-of-blood-free-mp3-download/

Very epic as always.

Ugh. What an unimaginative piece of music.

rumborak

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »

Very epic as always.

Ugh. What an unimaginative piece of music.

rumborak

:lol

Well if you don't like that one then I strongly advise you don't listen to the rest of the soundtrack because it'll be 100% that.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
It's great, and if you guys really think it's the direction they are going... okay i'll just say it. They aren't. It was specifically tailored towards God of War, an over-the-top gore-filled action hack and slash button masher video game. Note that it's an instrumental as well?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »
So? Plus I don't think anyone has to worry about this being the direction they're going in. Aside from the first minute or so, this is the direction they're going in, as in it's standard fare in terms of DT instrumental/solo sections go. What I'm the most disappointed in is that this is the first time in 7 years that they're allowed to produce something instrumental and instead of sitting back and going "hey, let's let this offbeat thing be a live staple" or something similar they completely half-assed it. Who cares if this is a stupid video game tie-in EP? Like my mentor a few jobs ago told me, if your name is on something you better know it's good because it represents you.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »
Most people don't realize that 'Raw Dog' is actually played backwards as well.  If you listen to the "God War" version, where they play the song from beginning to end rather than vice versa, it's the greatest song ever made.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2010, 02:34:06 AM »
It's great, and if you guys really think it's the direction they are going... okay i'll just say it. They aren't. It was specifically tailored towards God of War, an over-the-top gore-filled action hack and slash button masher video game. Note that it's an instrumental as well?

I've said it a million times but God of War has never been about heavy metal music. Also, it's an instrumental because they didn't have time to get James down to do the vocals.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2010, 04:16:48 AM »
And WTF with people saying it's OK "in the context of the game."  It's not in the game.
huh, really?....what the hell is the point of having a soundtrack that's not music from the game? 

The point is to create a buzz through cross-promotion - fans of the participating
bands might check out the game and maybe even buy that super deluxe rip-off
collector's edition, fans of the game might check out the bands' music.

I've said it a million times but God of War has never been about heavy metal music. Also, it's an instrumental because they didn't have time to get James down to do the vocals.

More like they didn't have the time to actually write lyrics for James to sing.
Of course there's a way to work around this problem. It's simply called "writing
before entering the studio", something they were once pretty damn good at.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2010, 07:38:47 AM »
So? Plus I don't think anyone has to worry about this being the direction they're going in. Aside from the first minute or so, this is the direction they're going in, as in it's standard fare in terms of DT instrumental/solo sections go. What I'm the most disappointed in is that this is the first time in 7 years that they're allowed to produce something instrumental and instead of sitting back and going "hey, let's let this offbeat thing be a live staple" or something similar they completely half-assed it. Who cares if this is a stupid video game tie-in EP? Like my mentor a few jobs ago told me, if your name is on something you better know it's good because it represents you.

As I'm listening to the EP, I really am getting the feeling that none of the bands took it very seriously.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2010, 08:26:25 AM »

As I'm listening to the EP, I really am getting the feeling that none of the bands took it very seriously.
I hope they didn't.  Because I think that the DT and Opeth tracks are BY FAR the two best tracks on the EP, and neither one of them is very impressive.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
I hope they didn't.  Because I think that the DT and Opeth tracks are BY FAR the two best tracks on the EP, and neither one of them is very impressive.

Am I to understand that you don't like Raw Dog?

It seems I have made a powerful enemy.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2010, 08:39:47 AM »

Am I to understand that you don't like Raw Dog?

It seems I have made a powerful enemy.
I don't hate it, but it's not that great.

I love the beginning, it's King Crimson-ish, but thereafter it descends into a relatively meaningless sequence of emotionless riffs and solo sections. 

I feel that it is definitely the least of their instrumentals, by a long way.  But I wouldn't necessarily skip it if it came up on shuffle, and if I were at a show where they played it live, I would be OK with it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »
Especially when you consider how MP had said he had specifically wanted this tune to be an instrumental, like Erotomania and the others, since they hadn't done one in a long time. I don't understand how they would, under that high-aim premise, just scoop up some old BCSL riffs they didn't want to use on the actual record, concatenate them and solo over it. You can't tell me that that's how Erotomania or TDOE were written back in the day.

Like my mentor a few jobs ago told me, if your name is on something you better know it's good because it represents you.

Words of wisdom. The end product is what counts, and if it bears your name, you will be judged by it.

rumborak

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
Especially when you consider how MP had said he had specifically wanted this tune to be an instrumental, like Erotomania and the others, since they hadn't done one in a long time. I don't understand how they would, under that high-aim premise, just scoop up some old BCSL riffs they didn't want to use on the actual record, concatenate them and solo over it. You can't tell me that that's how Erotomania or TDOE were written back in the day.
Um, TDoE certainly sounds that way. :lol A lot more so than Raw Dog I'd say.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »

Like my mentor a few jobs ago told me, if your name is on something you better know it's good because it represents you.

Words of wisdom. The end product is what counts, and if it bears your name, you will be judged by it.

rumborak

I get the impression that the band likes the song, took it seriously, and is perfectly willing to be judged based on it.
Over and over again

Offline dech2410

« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
I don't like it that much, but for god of war it's great.

The only thing I hate is that DT has one of the best keyboardists in the world, and what he can do isn't used properly. I imagined an instrumental with a lot of choirs, but the thing ended out to be one big medley with the guitar as a majority.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »
Raw Dog is like a bologna & cheese sandwich on two really tasty, homemade pieces of bread.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »
I get the impression that the band likes the song, took it seriously, and is perfectly willing to be judged based on it.
Oh, I'm sure they are happy with it.  Or that MP and JP are happy with it, at least.

I like some of the parts of the song, I just don't think they go together.  And I think that JR is wasted for much of the song.  But, like I said, it's OK.  I don't hate it.  But I would rather listen to any of the other instrumentals instead of this one.

Offline j

« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »
I don't hate it, but it's not that great.

I love the beginning, it's King Crimson-ish, but thereafter it descends into a relatively meaningless sequence of emotionless riffs and solo sections. 

I feel that it is definitely the least of their instrumentals, by a long way.  But I wouldn't necessarily skip it if it came up on shuffle, and if I were at a show where they played it live, I would be OK with it.

Give me back my opinion, sir.

-J

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »
*gives opinion back*

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2010, 05:34:27 PM »
*gives opinion back*

So now do you admit Raw Dog owns your soul?
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »

Offline j

« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
*gives opinion back*

Thank you.

So now do you admit Raw Dog owns your soul?

I'm allowing hef to retain partial ownership of the opinion, to avoid an ugly custody battle.

-J

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2010, 05:52:55 PM »
Man that opinion is gonna have one fucked up future.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »
Assholes are like opinions.

Wait, what?

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »
Eh. I like it, a bit too random though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »
...it descends into a relatively meaningless sequence of emotionless riffs and solo sections. 

I really feel like we're talking about Hell's Kitchen now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2010, 06:20:36 PM »
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?