Author Topic: Next Tour - What album do you want represented more?  (Read 8103 times)

Offline Tuneman

• Banned from P/R
Re: Next Tour - What album do you want represented more?
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 12:41:39 PM »
BC&SL

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
Awake
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 01:43:44 PM »
I would like to hear more from 6DOIT. Love that album.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 03:07:39 PM »
Disagree. The number of songs means the VARIETY OF TUNES. Listen, I would rather listen to 20 songs from a band, rather than 12. By default, because some of Dream Theater's songs are very long, it's really hard to get a good variety. I'm not one of those fans that sits and just likes to watch the band play. I like the different moods and soundscapes of the separate songs. So for me (and many others), it is important not just how long DT plays, but the variety of different songs in their catalog that they perform at each show.

Dream Theater's songs are long because they have that variety.  Sure, not true of the Train of Thought songs, but certainly is of pretty much any long song the band have ever done.  It's not like they just play the same riff over again.  Take A Nightmare To Remember... It's like a soft song, a metal song, and a DT instrumental all in one... Same goes for any of the big prog bands... Yes, Rush, even Zappa.  There's nothing redundant about most of the long songs.

DT isn't playing bigger places. That has slowed down. And album sales have been the same lately as well. But you misspeak. I didn't say I didn't like the new stuff "AT ALL." I do like some of the "new" stuff, but not much after ToT.

Ha, I guess you posted this right before learning about the MSG show  ;D

Dude, the sample size here at DTF is NOTHING in comparison to the "average" DT fan. No one that posts here is an "average" fan. People who come to DT's shows aren't just everyone here. There are easily 100s of thousands of fans that aren't here who want to hear DT do older material more.

I agree that the DTF fanbase is nothing in comparison to the average DT fan.  I was trying to point out that you sounded like you were saying that DTF posters are more likely to like new material, which is clearly fallacious.  We have plenty of old fogeys here, and plenty of posters who don't like the newer DT stuff at all.  And even if we didn't, it'd still be unverifiable.

But DT's style of writing these long drawn out songs has a downside. It limits the number of songs they can actually play in one concert.

I agree that having long songs of the Train of Thought variety is a downside, but with BC&SL the band have come back to writing long songs that actually go different places.  So I could care less about the number of songs.  I've said it before, but my dream headlining DT set would be:

1.Metropolis
2. ACoS
3.LiTS

2nd Set

4.SDOIT
5. 8va

-encore-
6. TCoT
5.LtL

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:39 PM »
I've said it before, but my dream headlining DT set would be:

1.Metropolis
2. ACoS
3.LiTS

2nd Set

4.SDOIT
5. 8va

-encore-
6. TCoT
5.LtL

Epic much?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »
So epic that once he got to 6, he just started counting backwards.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »
Disagree. The number of songs means the VARIETY OF TUNES. Listen, I would rather listen to 20 songs from a band, rather than 12. By default, because some of Dream Theater's songs are very long, it's really hard to get a good variety.
In fairness, nowadays there are a lot of band who have about three riffs through the whole of a three minute song. With Dream Theater you'd get at LEAST six in three minutes.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »
I've said it before, but my dream headlining DT set would be:

1.Metropolis
2. ACoS
3.LiTS

2nd Set

4.SDOIT
5. 8va

-encore-
6. TCoT
5.LtL

Epic much?
:lol I didn't notice that!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 06:47:40 AM »

Dammit bosk!

I'm just gonna leave it like that now.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »

Dream Theater's songs are long because they have that variety.  Sure, not true of the Train of Thought songs, but certainly is of pretty much any long song the band have ever done.  It's not like they just play the same riff over again.  Take A Nightmare To Remember... It's like a soft song, a metal song, and a DT instrumental all in one... Same goes for any of the big prog bands... Yes, Rush, even Zappa.  There's nothing redundant about most of the long songs.

Dude, I said before, I like to hear DIFFERENT SONGS. Not the same songs with variety. Totally different songs. That is what I am talking about.

Ha, I guess you posted this right before learning about the MSG show  ;D

Ha, I am talking about as a HEADLINER. DT couldn't play MSG on its own, and will never be able to (i'll take that bet with anyone).

I agree that the DTF fanbase is nothing in comparison to the average DT fan.  I was trying to point out that you sounded like you were saying that DTF posters are more likely to like new material, which is clearly fallacious.  We have plenty of old fogeys here, and plenty of posters who don't like the newer DT stuff at all.  And even if we didn't, it'd still be unverifiable.

That isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying the general fan is not a person that is on here. The general fan is someone who doesn't spend time on a message board talking about the band. They remember the band, go "I remember those guys" and go to the show expecting to hear the singles released in the 1990s. Those types. And there are more of those people out there, then there are the people like us, here on the board.

I agree that having long songs of the Train of Thought variety is a downside, but with BC&SL the band have come back to writing long songs that actually go different places.  So I could care less about the number of songs.  I've said it before, but my dream headlining DT set would be:

I disagree. DT is very stale nowadays in my opinion. BC&SL even moreso than the last couple albums.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »
The general fan is someone who doesn't spend time on a message board talking about the band. They remember the band, go "I remember those guys" and go to the show expecting to hear the singles released in the 1990s. Those types. And there are more of those people out there, then there are the people like us, here on the board.
Here is where I disagree.  The general fan is one of the hundreds of thousands who have been coming to their live shows for years.  Therefore, they know what to expect when they go to a DT show.  They know they will get fewer songs than they would at a show from most other bands.  The general fan is not someone who just remembers them from the 90s. 

That's all I'm saying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 08:55:56 PM »
Yeah.  You don't have to be an "obsessed fan" to know that you get much fewer and much longer songs with DT.

And I'm pretty sure no one is going, "I remember the singles DT released in the 90s." Because there was only ONE that actually got any decent kind of radio play.  That's the difference between DT and a band like Rush.  Rush had a mainstream following.  DT has hardcore fans who stick with 'em and continue to accumulate.  Sure, a couple fans fall off the bandwagon but ultimately the majority still like 'em enough, and the ones who come on always outnumber the ones who fall off.  When your fanbase is known for sticking with you through thick and thin, you really don't need to start with nostalgia tours.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »
Yeah, if anyone got into the band with Pull Me Under back in the early nineties, but hasn't then delved deeper into their back-catalogue, they're probably not gonna buy tickets to see them 18 years down the line.

As a general rule, there are two types of people who buy Dream Theater tickets: enthusiasts, and friends of enthusiasts who've picked up a thing or two or been roped into it, and gone "hey, these guys might be cool live." Either way, their familiarity is unlikely to be restricted to Pull Me Under.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »
Yeah, if anyone got into the band with Pull Me Under back in the early nineties, but hasn't then delved deeper into their back-catalogue, they're probably not gonna buy tickets to see them 18 years down the line.

As a general rule, there are two types of people who buy Dream Theater tickets: enthusiasts, and friends of enthusiasts who've picked up a thing or two or been roped into it, and gone "hey, these guys might be cool live." Either way, their familiarity is unlikely to be restricted to Pull Me Under.

This is exactly right.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 05:51:49 AM »
I'll take Scenes from a Memory and before please.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2010, 12:45:48 PM »
Well, I guess I should approach this question systematically. What songs would I like to hear?

Learning to Live
Erotomania
Voices
A Change of Seasons
Trial of Tears
Overture 1928
Fatal Tragedy
Beyond This Life
Home
Blind Faith
The Great Debate
In the Name of God
The Shattered Fortress
The Best of Times
The Count of Tuscany

So 4 from SFAM, 3 from BCSL, and 2 or less from other albums. SFAM wins.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 07:28:22 AM »
I want to see SFAM in its entirety, like I saw I&W a couple of years ago. Maybe they'll do it as a kinda oops we're a bit late 10th anniversary thing.. or maybe I'll have to wait four years and see it on its 15th anniversary. Either way, I have to experience this before I die.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2010, 09:49:19 AM »
I want to see SFAM in its entirety, like I saw I&W a couple of years ago. Maybe they'll do it as a kinda oops we're a bit late 10th anniversary thing.. or maybe I'll have to wait four years and see it on its 15th anniversary. Either way, I have to experience this before I die.
Good luck, because I don't think it will ever happen again.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2010, 10:33:03 AM »
I&W and SFAM