Author Topic: Bob Dylan: his best albums?  (Read 2912 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Bob Dylan: his best albums?
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »
So many phases to his career, it can be a little overwhelming.  What are his best albums in your opinion?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Bob Dylan: his best albums?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
Highway 61 Revisted, Blonde on Blonde and New Morning for me.  If you can get a hold of them, The Bootleg Series CD's from the 'Judas' show and the Rolling Thunder Revue tour are fantastic.  Totally agreed with you on Bob though, such a difficult man to make sense of.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
Yup, Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde are immediate classics.  But I've got a soft spot for John Wesley Harding (All Along the Watchtower!), Nashville Skyline (Lay Lady Lay and Knockin on Heaven's Door) and Blood on The Tracks. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:52:01 PM »
Blonde On Blonde, Blood On the Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited, Bringing It All Back Home, Desire, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Love and Theft and Modern Times are my favorites.  The man has so many classics.  His newer studio albums rank up there with some of his earlier work in my opinion, which is an amazing feat.

Also worth noting is The Bootleg Series Vol. 4 "The Royal Albert Hall Concert".  It's one of my favorite live albums ever.  The version of Like a Rolling Stone on it is legendary.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:59:20 PM »
Also worth noting is The Bootleg Series Vol. 4 "The Royal Albert Hall Concert".  It's one of my favorite live albums ever.  The version of Like a Rolling Stone on it is legendary.

That's the one I meant.  I think?  Its misslabled as Royal Albert, when its really somewhere in Manchester if I remember correctly.  Also, his voice on Nashville Skyline is pretty sultry.  Good stuff, Bobby! :tup

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 04:03:50 AM »
Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, The Times They Are Changin', Bringing it all back home and Nashville Skyline
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 04:46:46 AM »
My favourite is Bringing It All Back Home. It was his first electric album (for one side, at least), and so whereas the electric stuff on H61 and BOB is much more stretched out and experimental overall, the stuff on BIABH is far more direct and straight-forward rock. Certainly doesn't mean it's worse though, and I enjoy it as much as the later stuff for those qualities. The real show for me though is the acoustic side, which is by far his best acoustic output, and probably my favourite side of music on any album fullstop.

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Blood on the Tracks would be second and third for me. Freewheelin' was Bob's second album, his first of original material, and yet it's an incredible set of songs. All folk, but considering only one song features anything but him, his guitar and his harmonica (and that's only a bit of quiet bass and drums in Corrina, Corrina), it has incredible variety. And Blood on the Tracks was his first album after he and his wife broke up, so it hits harder than a lot of his material. The lyrics are often a bit more direct, and the emotions behind them show through a lot more easily. I think this album is the closest I've heard to his music being really beautiful as well.

Now that I've typed out these big explanations, I went back and read your OP Ludwig and it turns out you weren't after recommendations, it seems, but I'm leaving them as they are anyway.  :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 07:40:12 AM »
My favourite is Bringing It All Back Home. It was his first electric album (for one side, at least), and so whereas the electric stuff on H61 and BOB is much more stretched out and experimental overall, the stuff on BIABH is far more direct and straight-forward rock. Certainly doesn't mean it's worse though, and I enjoy it as much as the later stuff for those qualities. The real show for me though is the acoustic side, which is by far his best acoustic output, and probably my favourite side of music on any album fullstop.

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and Blood on the Tracks would be second and third for me. Freewheelin' was Bob's second album, his first of original material, and yet it's an incredible set of songs. All folk, but considering only one song features anything but him, his guitar and his harmonica (and that's only a bit of quiet bass and drums in Corrina, Corrina), it has incredible variety. And Blood on the Tracks was his first album after he and his wife broke up, so it hits harder than a lot of his material. The lyrics are often a bit more direct, and the emotions behind them show through a lot more easily. I think this album is the closest I've heard to his music being really beautiful as well.

Now that I've typed out these big explanations, I went back and read your OP Ludwig and it turns out you weren't after recommendations, it seems, but I'm leaving them as they are anyway.  :lol

:hat  That is exactly the kind of commentary I was looking for. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
Bump.

Has anyone else listened to the album Street Legal? I got it years ago, and it was to me one of the worst of his albums I've heard, possibly the worst so far. There were really only two tracks I was all that fussed about: Changing of the Guards (which you can find on most comprehensive Best Ofs anyway) and New Pony, which is actually one of my favourite songs of his.

Anyway, I read some time ago that, when all of Dylan's albums were remastered, the results were particularly impressive for Street Legal. Which never surprised me, because the production on that album was awful.

Well, I just checked out the difference, and holy crap. Listen to New Pony, the old version and THEN the remastered.

https://listen.grooveshark.com/#/search?q=street%20legal%20new%20pony

Kosmo

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:11 PM »
Look, if you're going to continue making these threads my head is going to explode from pondering so much.  :'(

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 12:46:54 PM »
I didn't make this thread. Or the Hendrix one.  :lol

Kosmo

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »
I meant the OP.  ;D Guess it wasn't clear.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
Just coming in to say that I will be using this thread soon. For some weird reason, I have decided to abandon my metalness for a while and look into different music that I always knew was good but never really looked into it. Dylan is on my immediate to do list, but it is overwhelming to know where to start with a dude with 25+ albums but this has helped and I look forward to more Dylan than his greatest hits (which I have and I love. Jokerman, These Times They Are A' Changin, All Along the Watchtower, Just like a Woman, Like a Rolling Stone etc. I love his hits)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03:04 AM »
Numbers, his "Essentials" album isn't bad at all as a jumping off point. But for me, my favorites are

The Times They Are A'Changing
Bringing it All Back Home
Highway 61
Blonde on Blonde
Blood on the Tracks
Desire
Live at Budokan
Hard Rain

Assorting other songs. I don't even pretend to have them all.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 04:23:02 PM »
decided to abandon my metalness for a while and look into different music
lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »
And this is funny how?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 05:17:36 AM »
Look, if you're going to continue making these threads my head is going to explode from pondering so much.  :'(
:lol ..so true!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 12:50:25 AM »
Interesting article in the NZ Herald on Dylan and his recent career. Seems the writer basically borrowed his main argument from this critic he mentions at the start, but still a good read.

Bob Dylan: A man out of time

By Graham Reid
7:00 AM Saturday Apr 16, 2011

In his recent collection of essays Listen to This, New Yorker music critic Alex Ross has a provocative piece on Bob Dylan. It opens, "America is no country for old men. Pop culture is a paedophile's delight", then he asks what - in this world of manufactured teen pop - we are to do with "a well-worn, middle-aged songwriter who gravitates towards the melancholy and the absurd".

Calling Dylan - who turns 70 in little more than a month - "middle-aged" is charitable. But Ross also suggests many writers just want Dylan to die "so that his younger self can take its mythic place".

Dylan continues to write and perform, but there's almost an agreed position among critics to treat lightly, if at all, what he's up to these days.

"The achievement is so large and so confusing that the impulse to ignore all that came after his partial disappearance in 1966 is understandable. It's simpler that way - and cheaper. You need only seven discs, instead of 40."

Ross' essay originally appeared in 1999 and although much of it remains relevant, much has also changed.

Given Dylan has barely addressed politics directly in his songs for decades - some would argue he never really did - it seemed odd this past month that there had been media comment about him kowtowing to Chinese authorities by not speaking out about the detention of the artist Ai Weiwei and others, and allowing them to deny him permission to play certain songs.

But that is because some still regard Dylan as a political singer. Yet Dylan's "protest period" lasted just two years in the early 60s, he was conspicuously silent at the height of the Vietnam War (1967-75) and has barely mentioned politics directly, or even in passing, since the early 60s.

Neighbourhood Bully on the Infidels album in 1983 seemed to have a pro-Israel stance, and in 1991 during the first Gulf War he snarled a barely recognisable Masters of War at the Grammys where he was given a Lifetime Achievement award.

But that's been about it. So his silence in China was in keeping with his apolitical stance. And he hasn't been alone in having old songs denied by the Chinese - the Stones accepted similar censorship.

The curious irony about Dylan today is while he goes forward with new albums, there is much more of his past in the present, which is perhaps why some prefer to keep him there. It began with the Bootleg Series in 1991 when he started releasing studio and live performances which had never seen the light, or were only in the realm of the avid collector. The ongoing and non-chronological series - now up to Volume Nine, and which includes demo sessions from before he signed to Columbia (as Sony was then) through to unreleased material from the past decade - sits alongside his 2004 snapshot autobiography Chronicles: Volume One in which he singled out particular periods in his creative life.

There was also Martin Scorsese's in-depth documentary No Direction Home about Dylan and his music up to 66; the recent re-release of the Folksinger's Choice radio session he did in 1962 (not sanctioned by Dylan); and the DVD of his famous and evasively witty 1965 press conference in San Francisco.

Add to that his Bob Dylan Theme Time Radio Hour in which he plays music which influenced or amused him (from the Mississippi Sheiks in the 30s to Gene Vincent in the 50s) and Dylan today appears to exists in a netherworld, a man ever-present due to touring and new albums ... but also ever-past.

No other artist exists in such a way.

In concert he may defiantly render his classic songs unrecognisable (you can get to the chorus before you realise it's Like a Rolling Stone he's croaking out in a country-swing manner) but you could never say he'll do the expected.

However as Ross also notes, Dylan has survived without being a "survivor", that description we reserve for those whose careers play out by rote as they await the inevitable: opprobrium, irrelevance, obscurity or death.

Dylan continues on his wayward path and those still listening count his recent albums - Time Out of Mind (1997), Love and Theft (2001), Modern Times (2006) and Together Through Life (2008) - among his best for their deft assimilation of many styles of American music (blues, folk, Western swing, country, popular ballads) into a singular sound which challenges, and lyrics which enlighten or confound at a turn.

That these albums were interspersed with the Bootleg series and compilations which threw chronology into a mixer just made Dylan's ongoing career as a troubadour on a "Never Ending Tour" even more interesting. He was a man out of time, existing in one of his own making.

Dylan today isn't relevant to most people, but the past two decades deserve more than a footnote in a half century-long career which blew out of the Midwest, took root in Greenwich Village then went global in songs which wrote themselves into people's lives in the 60s and 70s.

Dylan in the late 70s carelessly tossed out uneven but occasionally fascinating albums, but even his "religious" period (haven't they all been?) of the early 80s is being re-evaluated. Few would claim his late 80s or early 90s records were any good, but then he reconnected to something he'd almost forgotten, his roots in American song. He covered old folk and blues on Good As I Been To You in 1992 and World Gone Wrong two years later.

Since then the past - his own, and that old weird American music which existed before him - has been ever-present.

The pleasure of Dylan today - as much as the frustration he causes those who want faithful readings of old hits, or expect he might stand up to the Chinese authorities - is that he's an inconvenient pilgrim wandering between worlds, equally at home in the past or the now.

And that he can, if you let him, take you on that journey.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10719602

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 05:07:51 AM »
Saw him in concert this week in Hong Kong and he was AMAZING. I was skeptical about "new" Dylan at first but now I'm a true believer. I've finally branched out from his 60s albums into his 70s, 90s, and 00s ones and I can say that I'm completely on board with almost everything of his I've heard. I think my favorite phase is probably the stuff he put out while he was being reclusive in the early and mid seventies. Also just bought the Rolling Thunder Review boot and I can not wait. Did anyone realize Dylan was black-metal before it existed?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 04:34:07 AM »
I haven't heard all of his seventies albums, but the large majority of his seventies output is still very good, going from the ones I have.

His eighties stuff is a lot more hit-and-miss, without a doubt his weakest period, but there are still a few good albums out there.

His nineties output before Time Out of Mind is, from what I understand, not spectacular, but quietly confident and fairly good.

And of course, since Time Out of Mind, he's been churning out albums just as strong as he was in the seventies. There aren't many artists out there that can produce such strong material so late in their career.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Yeah, right after the concert I went out and bought Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft. Both are fantastic. These songs aren't 60s Dylan-- they're something else. But, like 60s Dylan, they managed to sound ancient and yet completely fresh at the same time.

Now, the list of Dylan albums I have in order:

The Bootleg Series Volume 5: Rolling Thunder Review
Desire
Blood on the Tracks
The Times They Are A'Changing
Highway 61 Revisited
Bringing It All Back Home
Love and Theft
Hard Rain
New Morning
Time out of Mind
Blonde on Blonde
Live at Budokan
The Freewheeling Bob Dylan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:23:18 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »
Bump, because I'm listening to Blonde on Blonde for the first time in a while, and I'd forgotten how summery and warm it sounded compared to some of his other stuff.

Also because Blood on the Track is in my top 5 albums ever as of my most recent listen, with Simple Twist of Fate riding pretty high on my favourite songs list.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 05:57:31 AM »
Bump.

Dylan's been given the Nobel Prize in Literature. I had kinda figured they would just let his name drift in the cloud of names under consideration out of respect until he died, but nope, they've actually awarded him.

An essay from one of the guys who nominated him almost 20 years ago:
https://journal.oraltradition.org/files/articles/22i/Ball.pdf

Offline Art

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 06:29:18 AM »
My favorites (chronological order):

- Highway 61
- Blonde on Blonde
- Blood On The Tracks
- Desire
- Oh Mercy
- Time Out Of Mind