Author Topic: [Music] Lamb of God - Wrath  (Read 7661 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
[Music] Lamb of God - Wrath
« on: April 27, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »
Lamb of God - Wrath
Heavy Metal

The music industry is an odd commodity. Always there are bands that, despite being accessible and approachable (see King’s X and Mahogany Rush), never break though, while others that are less original or, more importantly, entertaining become popular. Such is the case with Lamb of God, who have become relevant enough to be reviewed by the Los Angeles Times, to sell their albums at mass retailers ala Target and appear on Metacritic.

Alright, so they’re not that big yet, but people have begun to take notice of them, and I’m not sure why. My best guess is that it’s because they have a sort of bad-ass image to them that the kids love, and they’re not shy about going about it. On their newest release, Wrath, for example, after starting things off semi-calmly with “The Passing”, the music swells as per usual and everything proceeds to get all heavy. The problem is, it tries so hard to not only be heavy, but to get you to crush your skull that it becomes boring. Quick.

To put it bluntly, the album is a blur in the same way that, say, Iron Maiden’s A Matter of Life and Death is or, more accurately, every other Lamb of God album is. It clocks in at a measly 45 minutes but it seems twenty minutes longer because everything about it is so samey. The riffs keep coming and coming, and lead vocalist Randy Blythe is never shy about belting over them, but none of it is memorable in itself. Music exists to evoke emotion from the listener, in all forms and shapes, but here the instruments sound like their only purpose is to carry the songs from point to point, like it’s impossible for metal to be anything more than chugging. The best way I know how to put it is that the album, the band, is not playing music that happens to be heavy. They are playing music only to be heavy.

If you held me at gunpoint and forced me to give some positives, I might be able to think up a few. Firstly, there isn’t a lot of material present that’s truly terrible. The only times I was itching to turn the disc off were towards its conclusion, “Everything to Nothing” and “Choke Sermon” signaling an end in sight but still far away, their unaffecting presence probably amplified by the fact that after thirty minutes I felt like I’d heard the entire record already. Secondly, I’ll give the band credit for tightening their guitar tones a little bit and for incorporating some subtleties into their music. Still, the Kill ‘Em All approach that they're striving for most of the time - no letups in hopes of exhausting you - is a colossal detractor because, where Metallica aimed to hook and to scream with the style, Lamb of God aims only to scream.

“Reclamation” is a perfect supporter of my argument. Where is any riff that sticks with you? Where are any vocals that you feel like singing (or grunting) afterwards to yourself, like only a metal fan would? There are parts both aggressive and soft, but at the end of the day you feel like all it’s interested in being is loud. I don’t see any other point. The lyrics are brutal, yes, but no one listens to Lamb of God for the lyrics. The instruments are always doing things, and they’re never lazy, but at the end of the day they don’t do anything more than provide foundation for the vocals.

And those said vocals? Again, they exist for the sake of existing. Just as so many music fans listen to music for the sake of having something going on in the background, Blythe’s vocals are half growly-half screamy because they allow for people to delve into something heavy for the sake of delving into something heavy. There is nothing else in the music to be found because there are no hooks. There are no instances of grandeur, when things are not formulaic and you feel like you’re listening to something new and groundbreaking. It is only an attitude, and a shallow, stale one at that.

But such is the music business.

*1/2 (out of five)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:51:13 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline aurorablind

Re: [Music] Lamb of God - Wrath
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
Booo..! :tdwn
I respect your opinion, but i respectfully disagree :P
I really like this album.. Won't write a long review, but i give it 3.7/5..

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »
3/5 for me... I def. agree with all sounding the same but to me its just an average album that will please the fans.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »
Are you implying that A Matter of Life & Death is bad?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 01:48:21 PM »
Yes. :millahhhh

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »
Great review TOX, and it could apply to any LoG album or pretty much any metalcore album for that matter.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04:29 PM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:15:39 PM »
Why?
Because it's a samey-samey album by a samey-samey band.
Oh, so you're not a very big Maiden fan to begin with. You're forgiven, but just a little.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
Yeah, I have to agree.
I heard this album unwillingly, and the only positive I found was that the opening track had the potential for variety, but the rest just sounds like garbage.
Lamb of God has always been a band that can both make me vomit, and correctly emulates the sound of me vomiting.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 05:56:39 PM »
Lamb of God is such a terrible band. I agree with everything you've said here TOX.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »
Why?
Because it's a samey-samey album by a samey-samey band.

TOX, what's up with that??? Maiden certainly has a distict style, but they are not samey samey. Apparently you have not connected with them, and that's fine. I've been following Maiden for about 27 years, and AMOLAD is very surprising and refreshing.
In fact, since Bruce came back, Brave New World, Dance Of Death, and AMOLAD rival any 3 album run from their prime years. Maiden will never be confused with Dream Theater, BTBAM, and bands like that, but within their framework, they have improved greatly as song writers and musicians.

There are plenty of good bands that are blurs to me as well, but I can at least respect them from afar.
You don't "get" Maiden. Ok, I got that now.
I don't know what else to say.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:51:15 AM »
Maiden is a solid band. But they have done wrong, and I don't mean only with Blaze Bayley!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »
Maiden is a solid band. But they have done wrong, and I don't mean only with Blaze Bayley!
How so?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 12:18:18 PM »
As I was saying above, A Matter of Life and Death. It's such a bland, stale album. I preferred Brave New World and Dance of Death considerably more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »
As I was saying above, A Matter of Life and Death. It's such a bland, stale album. I preferred Brave New World and Dance of Death considerably more.

OK. At least I can follow that. May not completely agree

Offline fortuneIL

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 10:53:14 PM »
They are playing music only to be heavy

Thats why I think the album is awesome

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:13 PM »
That's a terrible quality to look for in music.

Offline fortuneIL

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 11:50:52 PM »
Well, im not saying its the only quality I look for in music, but thats all I want from them. I don't understand who would want to listen to log for lyrical excellence or diverse instrumentals.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 08:28:25 PM »
Well, im not saying its the only quality I look for in music, but thats all I want from them. I don't understand who would want to listen to log at all.
Fixed.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »
Well, im not saying its the only quality I look for in music, but thats all I want from them. I don't understand who would want to listen to log for lyrical excellence or diverse instrumentals.

How about the music itself being good?  ;)

On a related note, The Faded Line by LoG does have a good riff.

Offline Spolt

• DTF's Official Cookie Monster
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 09:41:15 AM »
I think that is album is a big letdown after the greatness that "Sacrament" was !

(Why didn't Wrath did this review ?  :rollin)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »
Average record but very harsh review
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 03:13:54 AM »
Bad review In My opinion... 3 1/2 out of 5
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
Haha, I thought to myself when I saw this thread, "weird, TOX doesn't seem the Lamb of God type."

Turns out I was right.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 05:58:59 AM »
I agree with about 95% of this review. The only section I didn't agree with was

To put it bluntly, the album is a blur in the same way that, say, Iron Maiden’s A Matter of Life and Death is or, more accurately, every other Lamb of God album is.

because Ashes of the Wake does have some quite catchy, memorable songs.
This album however, does not. It's a shame because it starts out so well with that mellow song to start. It really got my hopes up. Then there is a crushing riff which was really cool...

...and then nothing. The rest of the album falls incredibly short.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 10:49:42 AM »
I have allready commented, but i will give my oppinion..
I think Wrath has got some cool songs.. The first couple of times i heard it i wasn't impressed.. Sacrament was really good, and had this fantasticly large production and some really epic stuff, while this one was just br00tal from start to end.. But, my mind has changed.
The first four songs (including the intro) are awesome (IMO). In your words is pretty much what you'd expect from a LOG-opener. Contractor and Set to fail is just balls to the walls, good singles. From there it gets kind of boring. Grace is pretty cool, but it isn't really until Choke Sermon and Reclamation it picks up again. Those two tracks are excellent closers to an uneven album.

What i don't really get is why the hell did you write this review if you don't like the band at all? I can see you not liking Lamb of god, but this review is clearly written by a person that hates this kind of music in the first place.. Not constructive at all, and taking a hit at one of Iron Maiden's best albums in 20 years is just stupid... :loser:

Offline Spolt

• DTF's Official Cookie Monster
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 11:47:30 AM »
I think that the general feeling of any song is great because of the chords !

So dark !