Author Topic: M3 Rock Festival - 80's Hard Rock Fans Rejoice!  (Read 36509 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
M3 Rock Festival - 80's Hard Rock Fans Rejoice!
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:47:15 AM »
The M3 Rock Festival is coming to the Merriweather Post Pavilion on June 19th.

www.m3rockfest.com

Here's the list of bands appearing:

The Scorpions
Cinderella
Vince Neil
Kix
Winger
L.A. Guns
Warrant
Nelson
Trixter
Jetboy
Dizzy Reed (of G&R)
Bang Tango
Z02
Black Mambooza

2 stages, 11 hours of pure awesomeness.  I signed up for an account on the M3 site, so I could get the presale info for tomorrow.  A pack of 4 lawn seats for $100.  Unreal.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:12:39 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
Re: Baltimore Area Hair Metal Fans Rejoice!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:53:15 AM »
I will notify my parents, this sounds right up their alley.
gone

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:53:54 AM »
The only lawn worth having for that show is the kind you can smoke....Pure Awesomeness?? Coz..C'mon man.

they should call this the "Get A F##king Life Tour" cuz even in the 80's these bands all sucked!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean Scorps, Vince Neil.. Acctually Warrant was a great live band. Exceptions I guess.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:00:14 AM »
Well, admittedly, your tastes fall a lot more on the heavy side of metal than on the glam/hair side, so this wouldn't exactly be totally up your alley.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:01:10 AM »
Only bands I would be interested in seeing Is Scorpions   Cinderella/Kix ( both were more blues based rock than hair metal, but they got lumped into this group because of the image)
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:27:34 AM »
I actually liked early Kix circa 1983.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 08:29:38 AM »
I've opened for Steve Whiteman's band Funny Money several times.  He's kind of a tool.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »

Never liked Kix.  I just didn't like the singers voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »
I had an old King Biscuit show on cassette that I wore out, and I had their first album. Long before Live Wire.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »
Gotta admit, Cold Blood is an excellent song.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »
I will be kind and just say, I love the Scorpions! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 11:08:03 AM »
The Scorpions--  seen them
Cinderella--  seen them
Vince Neil--  saw Motley Crue
Kix--  No
Winger--Yes, they were great live
L.A. Guns--  no
Warrant-- Yup(I did it all for the nookie)
Nelson-- yes( and saw them in Foxwood in a free show 2 years ago)
Trixter--  no
Jetboy--  no
Dizzy Reed-- (of G&R)--  saw G&R
Bang Tango--  yes
Z02--  no
Black Mambooza--no
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »

Never liked Kix.  I just didn't like the singers voice.

Dude! They're kid tested and mother approved.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 03:28:30 PM »
Got tix because I want to see the Scorpions (saw them once, not a good memory because the douche running the soundboard clearly had hearing problems) and Cinderella (never seen before). I have seen Vince Neal with and without Crue and that will be an extended piss break. I hear Winger puts on a good show so that will be fun to see. Saw Kix open for Judas Priest last year at the same venue, nothing objectionable there. ZO2 is terrible. The rest of the line-up is whatever...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
I got the 4 lawn seats for $100 pack.  Killer.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »
I got the 4 lawn seats for $100 pack.  Killer.

If it was Nissan Pavilion, I would have been ok with lawn seats. But my experiences on the lawn at Merriweather have been terrible. Unless you are right in the front, seeing the stage has been a problem for me. I avoid the lawn like the plague there.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 08:48:06 AM »
I don't mind it so much, really.  I like the freedom that lawn seats at venues provide.  I'm not assigned a specfic seat where I'm scrunched in between people in varying states of hygenic distress.  I'll bring some binoculars.  I'I can't see as well, it isn't AS important, because I can still hear it.  Plus I can bring my own comfy lawn chairs to sit in.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »
It's back!  Loving the lineup.  Already have our lawn tickets for both days.  This is going to be excellent.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »
I don't know any of the bands on that list...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
Well, to be fair, most of these bands were popular before you were born, but if you'd heard of nobody else, I would've at least figured you'd know who Whitesnake is.  "Here I Go Again"?

Online Dittomist

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »
It's a shame that Skid Row and Sebastian Bach have never been able to reunite--I thought the albums they made together were amazing.
Glad to see Whitesnake and Tesla high on the list, but was hoping Cinderella would be back again (I really hope their 2010 tour won't be their last).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »
Should be a good show.  My impressions of the lineup (for no better reason than I feel like posting):

-Kix:  Eh.  They never thrilled me, but I wouldn't mind seeing them along with some other bands.
-Warrant:  Say what you will about them, but they wrote catchy, well-written songs and put on a great show.
-L.A. Guns:  Never was a fan, but as with Kix, wouldn't mind seeing them with other bands I want to see.
-Jetboy:  ...  Why are these guys still around again?  Somebody help me out here.

-Whitesnake:  Saw them 3 times in the late '80s and early '90s--once for each of their albums in what I consider their greatest 3-album run of Slide It In, s/t, and Slip of the Tongue.  Coverdale isn't what he used to be, and the rest of the band is just a revolving door.  I haven't bought any of the albums in the last decade either.  That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing them.
-Tesla:  Such a great band.  Saw them on the tour supporting their last album, and it was a pretty good show.  They still bring it.  My only criticism is that they downtune a few of their songs (they really HAVE TO for JK to be able to sing them), and unlike a lot of other bands, you can really tell on a few of their songs, and the songs kind of lose a bit of energy.  Edison's Medicine comes to mind as being the most disappointing from when I saw them.  That's my favorite song of theirs, and something about downtuning it sucked the intensity right out.  But still, great band that still puts on a great show overall.
-Sebastian Bach:  I haven't really followed him since he left Skid Row, so I can't say how his shows are.  I still consider him one of the best metal singers and one of the best metal voices of all time.  I would be intrigued to see him.  I'm assuming he plays a lot of the Skid Row stuff?
-Lita:  I would almost certainly take a restroom/food break during her set.
-Mr. Big:  I would love to see them.  They could possibly end up being the surprise favorite of the night.  Although, since I'm posting that very fact, I guess that takes away from the "surprise" element a bit.  Okay, now I'm confused.
-Slaughter:  Eh, okay.  Really good musicians.  A couple of songs I liked a bit back in the day, but nothing that REALLY grabbed me.  Would watch.
-Great White:  See Slaughter (but probably slightly less raw talent).
-Firehouse (yeah, I'm skipping bands now because there are too many I just don't care about):  I liked their first two albums well enough.  I considered them a good, but not great, band.  Wouldn't mind seeing them at all.  I hear they still put on a pretty good show.
-Faster Pussycat:  Saw them a LONG time ago as an opening act.  In fact, I think I may have seen them open 2 or 3 shows altogether.  The fact that I can't really remember should tell you what I thought of them.  They were okay as a crowd-warmer, but nothing to remember.  
-the other bands:  I either haven't heard of them or just don't care.

All in all, sounds like a fun show.  I would view a show like that along the lines of:  "Overall, there are maybe a couple of bands I would go out of my way to see.  But as a package deal, it should be a lot of fun."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 01:08:10 PM »
Kix is a surprisingly good band.  They're obviously very big in the Baltimore area.  Steve Whiteman is a total toolbag - I've opened for his other band (Funny Money) a number of times.  That aside, he really is an excellent frontman.

Jani Lane wasn't with Warrant last year at M3.  The guy sounded just like Jani.  Unreal.  Great tunes, even aside from the well known ones - 32 Pennies, Mr. Rainmaker, Machine Gun.  Really good stuff.

I hadn't gotten turned on to L.A. Guns until my old singer insisted that I give them a listen a couple years ago.  Now, I do very much like them and totally loved their set last year.

Jetboy: Waiting in the bathroom line.

Whitesnake, I've never seen, but regardless of who's in the "revolving door" (exactly how I also would've described the band), I look forward to being able to finally see David Coverdale live.  20 years ago would've been much cooler, but better late then never, I guess.  Though I could say the same for all these bands.

Tesla I haven't seen and am very much looking forward to.  I feel like they were lumped in with hair metal, but weren't really hair metal.  Kinda like the thinking man's hair metal.  Good tunes.

Sebastian Bach, I saw a couple years ago, opening for Dokken and Poison.  He sounded like he'd just stepped out of 1989.  Fantastic voice, still.  The soundman must not have known what the hell he was doing, because their sound was horrible.  He did a lot of Skid Row (opened with Here I Am) and some solo stuff.

Lita is a hot soccer mom who plays guitar and rocks.  Reason enough to want to see her.

My love for Mr. Big is no secret.  I've seen them once, at a club here in Hershey.  After Paul Gilbert left.  This is my biggest reason for being at M3 this year.  To see the ORIGINAL lineup kicking ass will be more awesome than I will likely be able to handle completely sober.

Slaughter, I always liked.  Mark Slaughter has one of the more recognizeable voices of hair metal, IMO.  He was doing background vox and rhythm guitar for Nelson last year (who also sounded unbelievably good).  I saw Slaughter and Danger Danger both open for Kiss.  My very first concert.  July 11, 1990.  Danger Danger only has a couple of hits, really, but I'm still interested in hearing Bang Bang live.

Great White, I dig, but not a HUGE highlight of the day,  Firehouse, maybe, as they have a few decent tunes, but are mostly known for their two big ballads.  Faster Pussycat, I saw open (with Trixter from last year's M3) for Kiss the second time I saw them.  October 17, 1992.  I went with my sister, who was the whole reason for my falling in love with Kiss.  I wasn't really into hair metal then, so I didn't pay much attention.  I'm looking forward to seeing them again.  Hurtsmile is Gary Cherone's new band, from what I've gathered, so that should be interesting.  Black and Blue and Pretty Boy Floyd will be amusing.  Never heard of Big Noize.

It'll definitely be a fun day and worth the $45 price tag for a two day show.  Though we haven't yet decided for sure if we'll go for Friday's show and spend the night yet or just go early Saturday.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »
I didn't know about Hurtsmile.  Regardless of how they are as a band, you should get a good show simply because Gary is fronting.  When I saw Extreme a couple of years ago, I was blown away by how much energy he has and how good his voice still sounds.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »
After last year's debacle - concession stands actually ran out of water on a miserably hot day, very poor management - there is no way I would support this festival again. I was somewhat tempted because I have never seen Whitesnake and I am very interested in Hurtsmile. Of the other bands I am actually interested in, I have seen them all play multiple times and, other than Tesla, none are on the list of bands I would go out of my way to see again...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »
Definitely.  I didn't care for the Cherone fronted Van Halen, but I DID get to see Extreme at a little club in Norfolk VA on the Punchline tour.  Great show, with Mike Mangini on drums.  As far as Hurtsmile, from wiki:

Besides brothers Gary and Mark Cherone, who also play together in Slip Kid, a The Who tribute band, the band features Joe Pessia, who plays with Tantric and was the bassist for Bettencourt's DramaGods and drummer Dana Spellman, who was a student of Extreme's former drummer Mike Mangini.

I might check out some samples on Amazon to see what it sounds like.  I'm sure it'll be good stuff.

After last year's debacle - concession stands actually ran out of water on a miserably hot day, very poor management - there is no way I would support this festival again. I was somewhat tempted because I have never seen Whitesnake and I am very interested in Hurtsmile. Of the other bands I am actually interested in, I have seen them all play multiple times and, other than Tesla, none are on the list of bands I would go out of my way to see again...

It could have been WAY better run in that respect, I totally agree.  Just gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best this year.  Looking forward to seeing a lot of these bands.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
I don't know any of the bands on that list...

You are hereby ordered to check out Tesla (1st 3 or 4), Danger Danger (Screw It, Cockroach, 4 the Hard Way, Revolve), and Mr Big. great bands.
From the OP Nelson are very good, Warrant too and Winger are awesome (and a bit prog metaal in places).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Yeah, the OP from last year's M3, also includes one of my now favorites, ZO2.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »
I love Tesla but the one thing I've seen recently is that Jeff Keith has lost his voice and is too raspy now live.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 03:02:12 PM »
I didn't care for the Cherone fronted Van Halen, but I DID get to see Extreme at a little club in Norfolk VA on the Punchline tour.  Great show, with Mike Mangini on drums.

I saw the Cherone-fronted Van Halen at MSG and, having seen him prior to that point with Extreme on the III Sides tour, I knew he had the talent and personality to lead that band, as well as the range to comfortably sing both the Sammy and DLR tunes. However, he was literally kept to the side of the stage so Eddie could stand center stage and have his ego stroked all night. Cherone was never given the chance to really establsh himself with that band and I think it could have worked if Eddie wasn't such a massive douche.

Got to see Extreme twice on the recent tour and Cherone sing on MP's Amazing Journey tribute band. He really impressed me with how well he handled The Who material. That was a great show and well worth the road trip to NYC...

Hurtsmile is on my radar. Wish I got to see Tribe of Judah. It's a shame that band did not take off...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 09:48:58 PM »
I shall be heading to M3 around 9AM tomorrow.  Looking forward to Mr. Big, but am intrigued by Big Noize:  Joe Lynn Turner, Carlos Cavazo, Phill Soussan, and Vinny Appice.  I'll be tweeting from the show, throughout the day.  www.twitter.com/guitarcozmo

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »
M3 is back again this year, with an equally stellar lineup!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Wow that's a great line up!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »
I would so love to go to this.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:13:00 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »
wow