Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256498 times)

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread (UPDATED WITH NEW SONG "Isolation")
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »
damn this song is pretty sick! Loving the dark heavy riffs :metal

I'm not hearing anything very dark. It's pretty standard energy focused metal. The chorus is even almost upbeat.

I guess instead of dark, I should have said the riffs are all "in your face" type a thing.  I'm loving it.

There is gonna be a new track on Friday available for download.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Re: Check this shit out lunchbox!
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2010, 07:38:07 AM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/

I realize now that my post simply looks like a link to the roadrunner homepage.  What I was linking to was the huge countdown clock they have on their mainpage.  Mad props to roadrunner for making me even more psyched than normal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2010, 07:46:56 AM »

I realize now that my post simply looks like a link to the roadrunner homepage.  What I was linking to was the huge countdown clock they have on their mainpage.  Mad props to roadrunner for making me even more psyched than normal.

There's no fucking link to the free song!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2010, 08:18:06 AM »

I guess it's not available to download until 4 p.m. UK time, which is 11 a.m. Eastern.  Apparently the countdown is messed up depending on what time zone you're in, mine shows that it won't be available until noon eastern time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »

I guess it's not available to download until 4 p.m. UK time, which is 11 a.m. Eastern.  Apparently the countdown is messed up depending on what time zone you're in, mine shows that it won't be available until noon eastern time.

Oh.  It's 12:22am Saturday morning where I am.  :lol

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2010, 09:06:51 AM »
The song is currently available for download.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2010, 09:23:16 AM »
Not bad, a good closer, and an epic vocal duet!!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2010, 05:51:16 PM »
Wow, this is such a cool song. I'm definitely digging the dueling vocals with Myles and Mark. Mark isn't a bad singer himself! He could very well sing in his pending solo project. This is something different that Alter Bridge has ever done, musically wise. It's just making me more and more excited for this record.

BTW, how about that high note Myles gives at 4:52  :metal

Offline Accelerando

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread (DOWNLOAD NEW SONG "Words Darker...." Free)
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2010, 06:05:20 PM »
Here's the lyrics, or rather, what my ear heard

They say you are right
I hope that I'm wrong
I know that you tried
But still it is gone

Just don't you lose hope
I swear I've never dreamed that we're alone.
Now don't you let go
I swear I still believe though I don't know.

Remember the years
I still walked tall
I only fear
Now I only crawl

How could I be wrong?
I hope there comes a day your fear is gone
How could we be lost?
Lost just cease to be not carry on

Into the light may you fall
Into the light may you follow
Into the light may you know
Truth alone

Truth alone
Truth alone

You can love someone

Go never to ask why
Or to fear again
Go find your peace tonight
Go set out towards the sun
Let the new begin
Go soon your day will come.
Day will come

Truth alone

Truth alone
Truth alone

Truth alone

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread (DOWNLOAD NEW SONG "Words Darker...." Free)
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »
Cool songs, but they kinda sound like standard alterbridge. I was hoping they'd break away from their standard formats and the "tremonti" chorus as I call it. But it seems they're sticking to it, at least on these two songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »
I still don't understand your complaints about the choruses. You've said in the past that they all sounded the same.... i listen to these guys religiously, and i have to disagree. I'm genuinely curious on your "standard Alter Bridge" statement.

Online Adami

« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2010, 07:05:14 PM »
I don't mean the vocals, but the guitar, bass, drums.....a lot of their chorus's and that applies to creed too, sound VERY similar. VERY VERY similar actually. Identicaly rhythms most of the time/
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2010, 07:06:43 PM »
He always used some chord change with a slash chord in it, like A/C#. Gives a very distinct, full sound which I do like. But indeed, it's getting very familiar. 'Words Darker Than Their Wings' is a very good song though, nonetheless.

By the way, the vocals are kinda mixed background. Myles' singing in the beginning of the song sounds a bit thin. Compare it to the beginning of, say, 'Burn it Down'. That sounds way better.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 06:54:28 AM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »
So i got U.S. radio release date for Isolation and Record Label details for ya

Isolation will be released on the radio Oct. 25 on Alter Bridge Records/Capitol

https://fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=16697

So they are doing what Dream Theater should have done a long time ago.... produce their own record having someone else distribute it.

I really wish the US label was Roadrunner though....

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2010, 03:55:02 PM »
Listening to WDtTW again. It's awesome, even if it sounds a lot like Blackbird (the song)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2010, 10:18:42 AM »
So i got U.S. radio release date for Isolation and Record Label details for ya

Isolation will be released on the radio Oct. 25 on Alter Bridge Records/Capitol

https://fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=16697

So they are doing what Dream Theater should have done a long time ago.... produce their own record having someone else distribute it.

I really wish the US label was Roadrunner though....

Interesting. So they are doing a distribution deal with Capitol. Not a bad idea. This way, they keep the rights to their record in the U.S., without worrying about the whole ownership issue which plagued them on both ODR and Blackbird. Good move.

But no album release date in the U.S. yet I see. I ordered my copy from HMV, so I'll get the UK edition to start.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »
Ah, this makes the wait for the US release all the more better  :metal

Hello Alter Bridge Nation,

I have been told by management that the USA version of AB III will contain two of the bonus tracks, Hope and Zero. My understanding is that they will be on all the albums no matter where you buy it. I should have more info soon.

Both of those songs just made a dark album even darker but they are both awesome tunes so I am glad the USA fans will get to hear these.

I think For What May Never Come will be on the Japanese version.

-Michael Tremonti

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
I'm prettttttttty excited for this.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2010, 03:52:17 PM »
Ok. Official release dates and record labels

Australia - 8th October
Europe - 11th October
U.S. - 9th November

Label for EU release: Roadrunner Records
Label for US release: EMI Records

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2010, 05:22:05 PM »

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »
Boo on the late North American date.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »
I found out that Alter Bridge was in my small city playing a concert over the Summer. I wish I went :(

Online Adami

« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2010, 08:39:19 PM »
I heard that since Myles is singing with slash, that he quit AB and is being replaced by Scott Stap. They plan on changing their name, but they aren't quite sure what to change it to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:27 PM »
ZOMG Adami, noooooooooo

besides, here are 30 sec clips of each song off the album!  :metal

https://www.cede.ch/de/music-cd/frames/right.cfm?aobj=850201

Online Adami

« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »
That wonderful life song sounds really promising. Tons of really cool riffs I'm hearing there, but jesus cock I'm getting bored of the tremonti chorus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2010, 05:27:35 AM »
I heard that since Myles is singing with slash, that he quit AB and is being replaced by Scott Stap. They plan on changing their name, but they aren't quite sure what to change it to.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:14:59 AM by wolfking »

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2010, 07:19:13 AM »
The full album is streaming for residents of Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.de/page/webwheel+AlterBridge

If anyone can make a high quality rip, please let me know. 

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
I'm listening just now, only heard Slip To The Void and Ghosts Of Days Gone By so far though, it takes a while for each one to load.

Slip To The Void was awesome though. One listen and I'd say it could be better than Isolation and Words Darker Than Their Wings. I could hardly believe it was Alter Bridge at the beginning.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »
That wonderful life song sounds really promising. Tons of really cool riffs I'm hearing there, but jesus cock I'm getting bored of the tremonti chorus.

Eh, im still not jiving on your "Tremonti chorus" theory, Adami, but for me, the chorus isnt the most important part of the song, although it is part of the journey.

I'm listening just now, only heard Slip To The Void and Ghosts Of Days Gone By so far though, it takes a while for each one to load.

Slip To The Void was awesome though. One listen and I'd say it could be better than Isolation and Words Darker Than Their Wings. I could hardly believe it was Alter Bridge at the beginning.

You don't understand how jealous I am right now.

I notice some psychedelic influences from the previews. That little guitar and harmonizing part from "All Hope Is Gone" reminds me of Pink Floyd

Online Adami

« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2010, 01:48:49 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love the band. I have every creed and AB album and their respective DVD's. He's a major influence on my guitar playing as well. But when so many of your choruss' have almost identical rhythms, it gets a little hard to ignore. If you seriously can't hear the similarities between so many creed chorus's (guitar, bass and drums) and AB chorus's, then I dunno. Am I alone on this one?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »
I did the some proxy magic and am saving the .mp3's as I type.  The excitement is building.  I hope I have enough paper towels for all the ear cum that's gonna get all over everything.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2010, 04:47:02 PM »
Yeah I have all the mp3s now from the Roadrunner stream.

I loved that bit of All Hope Is Gone in the previews too. It made me really look forward to the song. That bit is probably my favourite bit of the song, or at least the start of my favourite bit of the song, now I've managed to hear the whole thing.

And the choruses - there are some similarities in a lot of them. Not really badly or anything, but they share the same sound. For example if you listen to the 30 second previews, you might think a lot of the songs have similar sounds, when they really don't. That's just because a lot of them play the chorus, which are similar to each other. For example Slip To The Void - the song is very different, although you probably woudlnt think it just from listening to the previews, because the chorus alone does have a similar sound.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2010, 06:50:11 PM »
Well, Tremonti does love having the full sound with melodic choruses. In that sense, yeah, i guess I understand what Adami is talking about. I guess when I hear someone talking about how an artist's song sounds the same as their other stuff, it's because of the arrangement. Bands like Nickelback, however, use the same arrangement every freakin song they dish out. Tremonti, for all of Alter Bridge and in Creed's newest album, diversified his arrangements so they don't sound the same because he was pissed sick and tired of writing the same rhythms that followed the lyrical structure in Weathered and the album they started to write before the decided to split. But yeah, with songs like "Open Your Eyes", "Rise Today", and "Before Tomorrow Comes", he writes that full sounding chorus that could potentially be considered cookie cutter by some music goers.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2010, 08:02:37 PM »
Ah fuck, im so jealous of you Europeans right now getting to listen to this album early! Do you know how fucking long ive been waiting for this album?? omg omg omg just send me MP3 files

No no, dont. I can wait.

I fight this urge.... im can... im not addicted... the urge... i can-

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2010, 08:40:17 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love the band. I have every creed and AB album and their respective DVD's. He's a major influence on my guitar playing as well. But when so many of your choruss' have almost identical rhythms, it gets a little hard to ignore. If you seriously can't hear the similarities between so many creed chorus's (guitar, bass and drums) and AB chorus's, then I dunno. Am I alone on this one?

I think Tremonti does a respectable job differentiating between the two bands sound wise, but I do agree with you to some extent.

They all have a similar chord structure, with Tremonti using the slash bass chords quite a bit or using riffs which use a pedal point note, and just the general melodies can be reminiscent too.

Things like Open Your Eyes remind me of Higher, Overcome reminds me of Find the Real and to a point Metalingus, Broken Wings reminds me of Arms Wide Open or My Sacrifice, Down to My Last has a Higher vibe also.  Ties That Bind remind me of Bullets.

They are certainly not the same, but there are 3 of the four members in AB from Creed, so saying that the two bands sound totally different is a bit of a stretch.