Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256704 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. 10 Years of "Blackbird"
« Reply #1610 on: October 02, 2017, 10:13:08 AM »
Has anyone received the Earbook from the Alter Bridge store yet? Mine hasn't and my order hasn't been updated in a while.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1611 on: October 02, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »
Has anyone received the Earbook from the Alter Bridge store yet? Mine hasn't and my order hasn't been updated in a while.

Yes. It ended up arriving on release day, I believe. You should check in with them.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1612 on: October 02, 2017, 12:24:22 PM »
Set looks killer, for real killer!  :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1613 on: October 02, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
What is it with Alter Bridge that blu-ray/dvd releases get postponed or never even get released? Seriously, they tease releases but do they even come out, like ever?
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: October 02, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
Uh...I have two live Blu-rays (Amsterdam and Wembley) plus the live set (audio is the only thing they did) they just released. I believe Amsterdam was delayed, but Wembley was not. The most recent live set was not. So, I suspect the shows they filmed today and tomorrow will be produced and released on-time as well.

I looked at the set (it is on setlist.fm) -- pretty cool...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1615 on: October 02, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
Amsterdam was delayed for about two years (the only place people did buy it around 2009 was on Amazon.  Actually landed them in the #1 slot for a week or so in terms of selling DVDs on Amazon, I think.).  Wembley was not delayed.  What could have been Live from Milan was never released (which really made me mad).  Their set at the O2 Arena actually released smoothly (if you ordered through the Napalm records store site, but I did hear that if people ordered it from the band's site, it got delayed).

PLS, LET THIS ROYAL ALBERT HALL SHOW BE RELEASED SMOOTHLY!!!!!!  This could very well be AB's finest moment in their 13 year career. It would be nice if this got documented in the smoothest way possible, release-wise.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:51:04 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: October 03, 2017, 09:34:27 AM »

PLS, LET THIS ROYAL ALBERT HALL SHOW BE RELEASED SMOOTHLY!!!!!!  This could very well be AB's finest moment in their 13 year career. It would be nice if this got documented in the smoothest way possible, release-wise.

And what a tremendously good set. Long, and great song selection. Can't wait! And I'm giddy that I am thankfully not going to miss this last leg of the U.S. tour either!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1617 on: October 09, 2017, 06:23:47 AM »
I went to see these guys last night, after getting a ticket from a friend who's a big fan. They're a fantastic live band!

I wasn't familiar with their stuff, but I'll definitely be checking it out. Any recommendations on where to start?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1618 on: October 09, 2017, 07:23:49 AM »
I went to see these guys last night, after getting a ticket from a friend who's a big fan. They're a fantastic live band!

I wasn't familiar with their stuff, but I'll definitely be checking it out. Any recommendations on where to start?

Honestly, all 5 of their albums are great. Fortress is my favorite so I'd say start there.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1619 on: October 09, 2017, 08:06:06 AM »
I'd say Blackbird is a great starting point, then go with Fortress if you want something heavier.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1620 on: October 09, 2017, 08:09:59 AM »
I went for Blackbird, as it's the cheapest on iTunes, and I'm a total stinge :)

Will give it a couple of weeks to absorb, and then I'll go for Fortress. I don't know about anyone else, but it takes me at least a week to settle into any new album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1621 on: October 09, 2017, 08:53:17 AM »

Will give it a couple of weeks to absorb, and then I'll go for Fortress. I don't know about anyone else, but it takes me at least a week to settle into any new album.

That's a good path. Start with BB, then do Fortress. After that, I'd suggest The Last Hero and/or ABIII. I'd save One Day Remains for last, not because it's their worst (IMO, it's not) but because it was their first album and they were still finding their sound as a band. As a result, it kinda sticks out of the discography a bit.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1622 on: October 09, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
Blackbird >Fortress >Hero >ODR >III would be my path. But honestly after BB and Fortress, you can go anywhere else.

Because you'll be hooked and want it all
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1623 on: October 09, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
Cheers guys  :tup

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1624 on: October 09, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Has anyone checked out videos from the Royal Albert Hall shows? The orchestra (and band) sounds AMAZING.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: October 10, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »
Has anyone checked out videos from the Royal Albert Hall shows? The orchestra (and band) sounds AMAZING.

Purposefully not. I am going to put that Blu-ray on when it comes out next year, and just crank the hell out of it.  :metal

What a killer setlist. They did the same set (if you can trust setlist.fm) each night, so I am taking that as a sign they are going to put the entire show on there, using the best performance of each song from both nights.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1626 on: October 10, 2017, 12:08:14 PM »

Purposefully not. I am going to put that Blu-ray on when it comes out next year, and just crank the hell out of it.  :metal

What a killer setlist. They did the same set (if you can trust setlist.fm) each night, so I am taking that as a sign they are going to put the entire show on there, using the best performance of each song from both nights.

Probably a safe assumption, I'm pumped for this one. Here's hoping they nail the production.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: October 12, 2017, 03:03:02 PM »

Probably a safe assumption, I'm pumped for this one. Here's hoping they nail the production.

Fingers crossed. TBH, I wasn't all that impressed with Live in Amsterdam or Wembley from a production standpoint. I am hoping that they really invest well in whoever edits it, and the mixing.

Got everything squared away for the fam and I to see AB on the upcoming leg. Going to be a pretty incredible time.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1628 on: October 12, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
They’re coming to a local bar in Rosemont (suburb of chicago) on 12/11. Got my tickets and I’m completely stoked!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1629 on: October 13, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »
Fingers crossed. TBH, I wasn't all that impressed with Live in Amsterdam or Wembley from a production standpoint. I am hoping that they really invest well in whoever edits it, and the mixing.

Got everything squared away for the fam and I to see AB on the upcoming leg. Going to be a pretty incredible time.

I'm good with LiA's production quality. The rest of their live releases, not so much. I think Amsterdam, from an audio perspective at least, is really good.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1630 on: November 03, 2017, 05:17:35 AM »

That's a good path. Start with BB, then do Fortress. After that, I'd suggest The Last Hero and/or ABIII. I'd save One Day Remains for last, not because it's their worst (IMO, it's not) but because it was their first album and they were still finding their sound as a band. As a result, it kinda sticks out of the discography a bit.

So, I've been listening to Blackbird for the last couple of weeks. I have to say - it took me a while to get into it. At first, all the songs seemed pretty samey, but once I got used to their style, which probably took a few days of solid listening, I found it a lot more accessible.

Blackbird, the song, is just top notch. Very poignant too, when you discover what it's about.

Watch Over You is the song they did at the concert (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqdp3b7l8oo), with just Myles on acoustic guitar, that made me take a mental note to go away and find out what it was. Great ballad, plus it uses open G tuning which makes it pretty fun to try to play.

Wayward One is a strange one for me. I love the brooding verse and bridge, but the chorus sounds to me like it doesn't fit. It shifts from minor to major, and just sounds a bit weird.

Some other favourites would be Come to Life, Brand New Start, White Knuckles ("only the strong survive-ahhh"  :biggrin:)

Made a start on Fortress last night. Initial impressions are very good - sounds like a natural progression from Blackbird, although I know I'm skipping an album in between.

I'd say it sounds a bit catchier that Blackbird, in terms of riffs and vocal lines. There seems to be more vocal harmonies too, which is great.

All good..

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1631 on: November 03, 2017, 08:16:59 AM »

So, I've been listening to Blackbird for the last couple of weeks. I have to say - it took me a while to get into it. At first, all the songs seemed pretty samey, but once I got used to their style, which probably took a few days of solid listening, I found it a lot more accessible.

Blackbird, the song, is just top notch. Very poignant too, when you discover what it's about.

Watch Over You is the song they did at the concert (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqdp3b7l8oo), with just Myles on acoustic guitar, that made me take a mental note to go away and find out what it was. Great ballad, plus it uses open G tuning which makes it pretty fun to try to play.

Wayward One is a strange one for me. I love the brooding verse and bridge, but the chorus sounds to me like it doesn't fit. It shifts from minor to major, and just sounds a bit weird.

Some other favourites would be Come to Life, Brand New Start, White Knuckles ("only the strong survive-ahhh"  :biggrin:)

Made a start on Fortress last night. Initial impressions are very good - sounds like a natural progression from Blackbird, although I know I'm skipping an album in between.

I'd say it sounds a bit catchier that Blackbird, in terms of riffs and vocal lines. There seems to be more vocal harmonies too, which is great.

All good..

Awesome!

Your stand out tracks from BB are all AB classics so that makes sense. Fortress very much does sound like a progression from BB, and Myles definitely utilizes layered vocals more throughout the album.

Also - Wayward One was a grower for me, so give it some time. Originally, it was a skipper for me, now years later, it's one of my favorites.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1632 on: November 06, 2017, 03:35:57 AM »
My favourite so far from Fortress: Calm The Fire. What a song!  :metal

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1633 on: November 18, 2017, 08:53:23 AM »
All right, not much news as of late.  Uhhh, the final US tour for this album period, with All That Remains supporting, will begin next Friday to complete a great 2017 for AB.

More importantly, Myles is actually going to get a solo album out in 2018.  Note, this was not the solo album that he had created on-and-off since 2009.  He actually had scrapped those songs back in 2016, but still had a different theme and song ideas for the solo album, and he's finally getting one out next year.

I just want a solo acoustic tour and hit Southern California and I'm all for it, man.  I know the album is going to be great, especially since it's going to be different than an AB album or a Slash album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1634 on: November 20, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »
All right, not much news as of late.  Uhhh, the final US tour for this album period, with All That Remains supporting, will begin next Friday to complete a great 2017 for AB.

More importantly, Myles is actually going to get a solo album out in 2018.  Note, this was not the solo album that he had created on-and-off since 2009.  He actually had scrapped those songs back in 2016, but still had a different theme and song ideas for the solo album, and he's finally getting one out next year.

I just want a solo acoustic tour and hit Southern California and I'm all for it, man.  I know the album is going to be great, especially since it's going to be different than an AB album or a Slash album.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to a Myles solo record actually coming out. Curious to hear what kind of style he chases down on it. I'm thinking a more simple stripped back Mayfield Four style.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1635 on: November 20, 2017, 12:31:33 PM »
It’s gonna be called Year of the Tiger apparently.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1636 on: November 20, 2017, 12:37:19 PM »

Yup, Myles confirmed the name of the record, which is a reference to the year his father passed away. Apparently, it's close to a concept record in that it tells the story of his fathers death and how the family dealt with it. He also said that the record is blues-based and he used steel guitar, banjo, etc...

Mixing and mastering done, artwork done. They are just looking when to schedule the release. I'm pumped  :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1637 on: November 21, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »

Yup, Myles confirmed the name of the record, which is a reference to the year his father passed away. Apparently, it's close to a concept record in that it tells the story of his fathers death and how the family dealt with it. He also said that the record is blues-based and he used steel guitar, banjo, etc...

Mixing and mastering done, artwork done. They are just looking when to schedule the release. I'm pumped  :metal

Color me excite
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1638 on: November 21, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
Do we know if this is the solo material he's written and recorded since Blackbird or the stuff he just recently worked on?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1639 on: November 21, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
Do we know if this is the solo material he's written and recorded since Blackbird or the stuff he just recently worked on?

It was confirmed by Myles in interviews that the solo album he will have out will not be the ones that he written since post-Blackbird, but rather something that came to him around 2016 or so.  He did retain one song from his original solo album idea for this upcoming album.

Will the original solo album see the light of day for the public to hear?  I don't think even Myles knows the answer to that.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1640 on: November 22, 2017, 07:50:49 AM »
It was confirmed by Myles in interviews that the solo album he will have out will not be the ones that he written since post-Blackbird, but rather something that came to him around 2016 or so.  He did retain one song from his original solo album idea for this upcoming album.

Will the original solo album see the light of day for the public to hear?  I don't think even Myles knows the answer to that.

You are correct, my understanding is that he shelved all but one song from his first solo record and that everything else on this upcoming release was written in sessions after that.

As for the first solo record - he doesn't seem interested in releasing it any time soon, it may be one of those things he randomly decides to release years down the road when things slow down a bit.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1641 on: November 22, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »
I'm excited nonetheless. Especially if it's blues driven. Some of his best vocal performance isn't with the high energy, hard rock music with Alter Bridge. I still go back to those Mayfield Four records, and still get completely incapsulated with his vocals   

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1642 on: November 22, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »
I'm excited nonetheless. Especially if it's blues driven. Some of his best vocal performance isn't with the high energy, hard rock music with Alter Bridge. I still go back to those Mayfield Four records, and still get completely incapsulated with his vocals

I agree. His voice tends to shine when it has room. AB's music has continued to get busier, heavier, and more layered, which I like, but his voice tends to not get as much room. For that reason alone I'm looking forward to this.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1643 on: November 22, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »
I agree with the too layered criticism. His voice is amazing but somehow sounds weaker when there's 20 layers to it. The more stripped down his vocals, the better he seems to sound.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1644 on: November 22, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »
^ Yup. His best vocal performance ever, IMO, was a fairly stripped down demo vocal track he sang in his basement that he liked so much he ended up keeping. That's the vocal on Summer Girl.