Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 258629 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. "The Last Hero"
« Reply #1295 on: September 22, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
Myles on this album is just.. I mean wow. He's outdone himself and so have the band. I can definitely see this becoming my favorite AB album. The lyrics are hitting the spot too because of all the current-day themes they're dealing with.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1296 on: September 23, 2016, 06:47:35 AM »
For those who haven't listened to the leak yet (me), the song "Poison in Your Veins" is now available on Spotify in the US. I think that track and "The Other Side" are both available in some other countries around the world.

Poison in Your Veins is a ripper. It would fit really well on Fortress, which is a good thing. Upon my first couple listens, I really like it. Its heavy, its groovy, the hook is great. Its AB.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1297 on: September 23, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »
Yep, I'm digging Poison In Your Veins  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: September 25, 2016, 04:57:23 AM »
Here's the youtube link;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0egeOHD0Bo

Good song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1299 on: September 25, 2016, 06:55:17 AM »
Seeing them tonight in San Antonio \m/

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1300 on: September 25, 2016, 11:36:14 AM »
Poison was a good song, but felt a bit....by the numbers.

I dunno, so far the three songs have a "good, but pretty standard" feel to them. As if AB didn't go into the studio because they had tons of inspiration, but because it was time for them to go make an album.

I'm also starting to wish Myles would show more diversity. Dude has an insane voice, but for the most part he just sings in the same range constantly. I remember hearing the intro to Into the Void and being like "YES something new!" wish he would do more than the high belting he does in every song now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: September 25, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »

I dunno, so far the three songs have a "good, but pretty standard" feel to them. As if AB didn't go into the studio because they had tons of inspiration, but because it was time for them to go make an album.

I'm also starting to wish Myles would show more diversity. Dude has an insane voice, but for the most part he just sings in the same range constantly. I remember hearing the intro to Into the Void and being like "YES something new!" wish he would do more than the high belting he does in every song now.
I totally agree with all of this. He's obviously an awesome singer, but that talent makes me want him to branch out and show more variety.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1302 on: September 26, 2016, 07:35:21 AM »

I totally agree with all of this. He's obviously an awesome singer, but that talent makes me want him to branch out and show more variety.

His solo album will hopefully show a lot of variety, it's supposed to be very singer-songwriter acoustic-based stuff. But, I agree, bringing that variety to AB would be awesome.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1303 on: September 26, 2016, 08:05:18 AM »

Ninja'd myself. So bummed because I never made it to the gig. I left Austin at 6pm and massive downpour stormed through. I couldn't see the road. We were driving at 30mph on a 80mph highway. The downpour continued till about 730 and just didn't want to drive all rushed in getting to the gig. I'm hoping there's a 2nd leg.  :'( :'(

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1304 on: September 26, 2016, 08:17:29 AM »

Ninja'd myself. So bummed because I never made it to the gig. I left Austin at 6pm and massive downpour stormed through. I couldn't see the road. We were driving at 30mph on a 80mph highway. The downpour continued till about 730 and just didn't want to drive all rushed in getting to the gig. I'm hoping there's a 2nd leg.  :'( :'(

That sucks, I'm sure they will be doing a full US tour after the album is release, hopefully they will come back your way.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1305 on: September 26, 2016, 05:16:49 PM »

His solo album will hopefully show a lot of variety, it's supposed to be very singer-songwriter acoustic-based stuff. But, I agree, bringing that variety to AB would be awesome.

I love him in Alter Bridge, but to me, his best vocal work in his career has always been with The Mayfield Four. Shows off more of his vocal range. Check out these songs

White Flag

Believe

Sick and Wrong

Summergirl

12/31

Forfeit

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1306 on: September 27, 2016, 08:14:26 AM »
Oh yeah man, I'm a huge Mayfield fan since discovering AB years ago. White Flag and Summergirl are two of my favorite Myles vocals. Both albums are great, Second Skin especially.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1307 on: September 29, 2016, 10:07:58 PM »
The Other Side is now out on the usual outlets (Spotify, iTunes, etc.)  I only heard the moody intro as a preview when Eddie Trunk played it when he had Mark and Myles as guests, but oh yeah, this song is totally different than the first three songs we've heard so far in the best way possible.  It's darker, moodier, heavier.  I don't actually think there is another AB song that sounds similar to this as well.  Closest is probably Lover or The Uninvited.  I like it.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: September 29, 2016, 10:23:10 PM »
The Other Side is now out on the usual outlets (Spotify, iTunes, etc.)  I only heard the moody intro as a preview when Eddie Trunk played it when he had Mark and Myles as guests, but oh yeah, this song is totally different than the first three songs we've heard so far in the best way possible.  It's darker, moodier, heavier.  I don't actually think there is another AB song that sounds similar to this as well.  Closest is probably Lover or The Uninvited.  I like it.
THIS is that new sound I've been looking for. Way better than the other songs that have been released.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1309 on: September 29, 2016, 11:51:49 PM »
This is my favorite song they've released so far!!! That intro....that sludgy riff...all sorts of goodness  :metal

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1310 on: September 30, 2016, 06:17:59 AM »
I kinda dig Show Me a Leader. I'm really digging My Champion.  After one listen, I don't really care for Poison in Your Veins. I think I'll hold out on this until the album comes out. It's right around the corner, and I'm super excited, but I just didn't like Poison.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1311 on: September 30, 2016, 06:45:21 AM »
Saw Alter Bridge last night for the first time and they just rocked it! Great set list and everyone was in top form. I think Alter Bridge has moved into my top 3 favorite bands. Can't wait for the new album next week!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1312 on: September 30, 2016, 06:57:16 AM »
Don't know where you guys come from, but just assuming most are from America. I wonder why they are not releasing any songs in Europe, the only ones we have gotten are Show Me a Leader and My Champion, looking at this thread it looks like 2 more have been released in the US?  Colour me jealous.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1313 on: September 30, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »
The Other Side is freaking awesome!! Easily my favorite of the singles they have released.

Don't know where you guys come from, but just assuming most are from America. I wonder why they are not releasing any songs in Europe, the only ones we have gotten are Show Me a Leader and My Champion, looking at this thread it looks like 2 more have been released in the US?  Colour me jealous.

I'm in the USA, but I thought these singles were world wide. Maybe I'm wrong.

Does this work for you? Its the new single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm5NNWbf5w8

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1314 on: September 30, 2016, 09:19:59 AM »
Yeah this one works, and I missed the one for Poison In Your Veins. But about an hour ago I'm pretty sure the only video on youtube for The Other Side was an obvious fake one (some 3 minute instrumental). Still weird that they haven't put them on Spotify though, guess I'll wait till the album release then.

Anyway, The Other Side is amazing. This is the stuff I have been waiting for, stylistically a bit similar to Fortress which I kinda missed in the other songs. Haven't heard Poison In Your Veins yet though and I don't have any urge to so I'll just wait until the full album is released.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1315 on: September 30, 2016, 01:01:48 PM »
Yeah this one works, and I missed the one for Poison In Your Veins. But about an hour ago I'm pretty sure the only video on youtube for The Other Side was an obvious fake one (some 3 minute instrumental). Still weird that they haven't put them on Spotify though, guess I'll wait till the album release then.

Anyway, The Other Side is amazing. This is the stuff I have been waiting for, stylistically a bit similar to Fortress which I kinda missed in the other songs. Haven't heard Poison In Your Veins yet though and I don't have any urge to so I'll just wait until the full album is released.

Poison In Your Veins is a solid AB heavy track, nothing ground breaking but a solid tune. The Other Side definitely pushes the boundaries more than Poison.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1316 on: September 30, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »

Poison In Your Veins is a solid AB heavy track, nothing ground breaking but a solid tune. The Other Side definitely pushes the boundaries more than Poison.

Yeah, they've mainly been picking the really safe songs for early release so far, imo. The Other Side is the boldest one they've put out there. I'd say songs like Cradle to the Grave, This Side of Fate, Island of Fools and The Last Hero are more akin to TOS in regards to 'pushing the boundaries.'
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1317 on: October 02, 2016, 11:59:20 PM »
I can't freakin wait to get my hands on this record. 5 more days!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1318 on: October 03, 2016, 04:43:51 AM »
Other Side was actually pretty awesome. Hoping that it's more representative. The other songs were good, but just seemed....by the numbers. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1319 on: October 03, 2016, 06:44:40 AM »
Yeah, they've mainly been picking the really safe songs for early release so far, imo. The Other Side is the boldest one they've put out there. I'd say songs like Cradle to the Grave, This Side of Fate, Island of Fools and The Last Hero are more akin to TOS in regards to 'pushing the boundaries.'

That's kinda what I figured but still really good to hear!

I can't freakin wait to get my hands on this record. 5 more days!

This!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1320 on: October 03, 2016, 09:02:27 AM »
Yes, there are more songs and sections with that The Other Side mood and aggression. This album is pretty diverse.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1321 on: October 03, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »
I've like every song release so far. That being said, it's going to be really hard to top Fortress.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1322 on: October 03, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
Well, as we all know, AB had a bit of a struggle over trying to leave to leave Wind-Up Records back in 2006 which led them to buy-out of their contract.  One of the sad things about that was that there were certain songs made during the One Day Remains era that people question whether or not these songs would make the light of day.  Well, come Friday, one of those songs will be released as a Best Buy exclusive when buying The Last Hero.  It's called Breathe and AB released a small preview of it.  It reminds me of Metallica's version of Turn The Page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y62QhCQt1mE&ab_channel=AlterBridge

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1323 on: October 03, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »
Well, as we all know, AB had a bit of a struggle over trying to leave to leave Wind-Up Records back in 2006 which led them to buy-out of their contract.  One of the sad things about that was that there were certain songs made during the One Day Remains era that people question whether or not these songs would make the light of day.  Well, come Friday, one of those songs will be released as a Best Buy exclusive when buying The Last Hero.  It's called Breathe and AB released a small preview of it.  It reminds me of Metallica's version of Turn The Page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y62QhCQt1mE&ab_channel=AlterBridge

That preview sounds great. I had seen the Best Buy exclusive advertised before. Is this the original recording? Or a re-recorded version?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1324 on: October 03, 2016, 02:29:02 PM »
Apparently, from what I hear, it is the original recording.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1325 on: October 03, 2016, 08:53:35 PM »
Yep, it's the original recording. It has that One Day Remains production vibe, which should satisfy the ODR diehards in the ABN forums lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1326 on: October 04, 2016, 07:25:58 AM »
Yep, it's the original recording. It has that One Day Remains production vibe, which should satisfy the ODR diehards in the ABN forums lol

:lol

Exactly. That's really cool they were able to include a track recorded during those sessions.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1327 on: October 04, 2016, 07:52:28 PM »
Well, this is neat.  Live Nation will stream the AB concert in Dallas on Friday, the same day The Last Hero comes out.

Announcement Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfvQvFXsJP4&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=LiveNation

Actual Stream Video: https://youtu.be/aKZ5cmXu3ZE

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1328 on: October 05, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »
Well, this is neat.  Live Nation will stream the AB concert in Dallas on Friday, the same day The Last Hero comes out.

Announcement Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfvQvFXsJP4&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=LiveNation

That is cool. Honest question - do you think they will actually play a good amount of new tunes? So far they have only played Show Me a Leader and My Champion, right?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1329 on: October 05, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »

That is cool. Honest question - do you think they will actually play a good amount of new tunes? So far they have only played Show Me a Leader and My Champion, right?

Those are the two they played when I saw them last week. I'd be surprised if they played more at this point. Probably depends on how comfortable they feel playing them.