Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 256693 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. "The Last Hero"
« Reply #1190 on: July 18, 2016, 06:42:09 AM »
It still amazes me how they are not bigger in the states.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1191 on: July 18, 2016, 07:14:56 AM »
It still amazes me how they are not bigger in the states.

True dat.

Yeah, they are only playing 6 songs, when they are in the amphitheaters, which is only 30-35 minutes to them.  So basically, if you want to see AB this summer, you probably going to have to go for either Breaking Benjamin and/or Disturbed as well (which some people here are not willing to, which is fine, since those bands certainly have qualities that can turn people off of them.)  Also, I hear the crowds are somewhat dead when they are playing.  The curse of being an opening band.  Oh well, any chance they get to gain new fans, they might as well take it while they can.

Yeah, they are playing less than an hour away from me and I decided, for the first time ever in close proximity to me, to skip seeing them. I'm not a BB or Disturbed fan, and I don't feel like dealing with the fuss of going to a show to only see AB play 6 songs and then surrender the stage, total blue balls.

I'm really, really hoping the are doing a 2017 proper headlining tour in the states.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1192 on: July 18, 2016, 07:26:50 AM »
They HAVE TO be planning a headlining tour for next year. How could they not be? They've worked so hard over the last 13 years to create what THEY WANTED to create, and gained more and more fans, and critical acclaim, along the way. Was all that so they could open for two bands that don't even really deserve to share the stage with them? With all do respect to Disturbed and BB, they'll be back stage every night hearing AB kill it, and then have to take the stage after that. That has to be a blow to the egos that reside in those "rock stars".

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1193 on: July 18, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »
Was all that so they could open for two bands that don't even really deserve to share the stage with them?
Who are you to decide who deserves to share the stage with them? I'm sure the guys from AB have a little more respect for Disturbed and BB than you do, thankfully.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1194 on: July 18, 2016, 07:31:56 AM »
They HAVE TO be planning a headlining tour for next year. How could they not be? They've worked so hard over the last 13 years to create what THEY WANTED to create, and gained more and more fans, and critical acclaim, along the way. Was all that so they could open for two bands that don't even really deserve to share the stage with them? With all do respect to Disturbed and BB, they'll be back stage every night hearing AB kill it, and then have to take the stage after that. That has to be a blow to the egos that reside in those "rock stars".

I would think they would have to be planning a headlining tour as well, they just haven't announced it yet, so I remain hopeful till we get official word.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1195 on: July 18, 2016, 09:37:26 AM »
Was all that so they could open for two bands that don't even really deserve to share the stage with them?
Who are you to decide who deserves to share the stage with them? I'm sure the guys from AB have a little more respect for Disturbed and BB than you do, thankfully.

I actually like most of Disturbed, the band is solid, and I think David's performance on The Sound of Silence is impressive. BUT, my ears also work. The idea that AB should be opening for the likes of BB or Disturbed is ludicrous. The idea that they're opening for anyone for that matter is ludicrous. I get that there's more to the business than that, and I'm sure you're right that AB have more respect for them than I do. Ultimately, I don't give  fuck. I hear so much garbage on rock radio day in and day out. Sure, we can all stand here and act all PC and say ,"Hey to each their own." Sure, whatever. But, we all draw a line somewhere. IMO, BB falls on the other side of that line, ESPECIALLY on stage. Only my opinion.

So... to answer your question, "Who are you to decide who shares the stage with them?" Well, I'm a die-hard AB fan from day one, for life, and I won't be giving them my time or my money to see them play a short set before two bands I don't want to see. And I'm not the only AB fan with those sentiments. In the end, AB isn't servicing their true fanbase with this tour. Unless they're planning the headline tour we're talking about, that's bad business.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:47:11 AM by sylvan »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1196 on: July 18, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
^^ It always comes to this question.  How can Alter Bridge can make new fans in a different approach?  There's only so much they can do to get new fans for being the band that's known as "3/4ths of Creed with a different singer," "the guys that did Edge's theme song," or "the band whose vocalist is in Slash's solo band."

Would I love for them to do headlining shows during this summer as opposed to them opening in amphitheaters?  Of course, but that's just not the way to make new fans.  Sometimes, bands got to swallow their pride, get on a touring bill with a good upside to have more eyes on them (even if the crowd is dead) than ever before and hope that it pays off when they tour the states.  I live in Southern California, anyway, so I know they'll be coming to these parts for their own show eventually in the album cycle.  It just may take longer than expected. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1197 on: July 18, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »
^^ It always comes to this question.  How can Alter Bridge can make new fans in a different approach?  There's only so much they can do to get new fans for being the band that's known as "3/4ths of Creed with a different singer," "the guys that did Edge's theme song," or "the band whose vocalist is in Slash's solo band."

Not to over-simplify things, but here's a simple way to build your fan-base: make Alter Bridge your full time job. All 4 members of the band, no matter what. Heart and soul, 24-7, 365, Alter Bridge.

No more solo stuff, Slash, Creed, Projected, etc...(and this is coming from a big Slash and Tremonti fan)

Many, many things would fall in place behind that decision.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1198 on: July 18, 2016, 02:30:50 PM »
I'm not sure what it will take at this point for there to be some traditional form of commercial success in the US. I mostly don't care if they achieve that, because I'll be a fan either way. It's only when I see other bands achieve that commercial success with a product that IMO is weak in comparison. I know it's subjective, and that's why I'm sure it's not really about the bands, but the whole system. There's a million great bands that won't get a shot. But when you've been around for 13 years, and you're living on the cusp of stardom, all the while gaining critical acclaim in every direction, and one of the most loyal and die-hard fan bases around, where's the disconnect? How do they take that next step?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1199 on: July 22, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »
First song preview appears to have surfaced on Amazon Japan's site, short clip of "Show Me a Leader"... Rumor is that this is the intro to the song:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Show-Me-a-Leader/dp/B01IOI6NVO

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1200 on: July 22, 2016, 01:20:06 PM »
First song preview appears to have surfaced on Amazon Japan's site, short clip of "Show Me a Leader"... Rumor is that this is the intro to the song:

Nice!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1201 on: July 22, 2016, 01:26:07 PM »
Yeah, I thought it sounded cool, especially if that's the intro of the song. That would be a bit different for AB in terms of song structure. That sounds like what they would typically write in the bridge of a song. I'm all for mixing up song structures for AB.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: July 22, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »

Fuck yeah, this sounds awesome, nice and heavy!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1203 on: July 23, 2016, 03:03:46 AM »
Damn I think they removed the preview   :sad:

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1204 on: July 24, 2016, 06:44:29 AM »
Finally got a chance to see AB in Hartford a couple nights ago, they were great.  MK is an amazing front man and his voice is near perfect.  I wish they got 15-20 minutes more - and I would have swapped out some of their set list.  I hope they come around again soon.  But, quite honestly, they were playing where they should have been with the bands they're touring with.  BB and even Disturbed (though I haven't really been a fan in many years) were on a different level.

Cheers

Offline Accelerando

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: July 25, 2016, 05:37:24 AM »
Solid song indeed.  Catchy hook, powerful, band sounds great, lots of energy, great Tremonti solo, yeah cool stuff.  Not as dark as what we got on Fortress and I hope there is some more darker tunes in there.  I ain't gonna listen to it more than once though at this stage, it's way early for the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1207 on: July 25, 2016, 07:01:27 AM »
LISTEN TO SHOW ME A LEADER RIGHT MEOW!!!

https://blog.siriusxm.com/2016/07/25/alter-bridge-premieres-new-song-show-me-a-leader-exclusively-on-octane/

:metal

Sounds like they removed the intro that we heard in the amazon preview for the sake of the single, which is too bad since I LOVED what I heard on Amazon.

Interesting song, I enjoyed it and it sounds a bit more out of Myles' playbook than Tremonti's, especially coming from Myles' recent work with Slash.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album!
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1208 on: July 25, 2016, 07:43:14 AM »
Really, really liking it!

I agree that the intro would have been cool, but I'm guessing it was just removed for this version (radio single) and the album version will still have it.

Good chorus, killer riffs, great groove. AB is back baby!!!  :metal

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1209 on: July 25, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »
I'm sure the full version is out there somewhere with the intro in there......

As for the radio version, I'm not feeling it yet, but maybe, it gets a lot better with the intro in there.  A different vibe I feel than Isolation and Addicted To Pain.  At least, AB is back.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1210 on: July 25, 2016, 10:25:29 AM »
I'm sure the full version is out there somewhere with the intro in there......

As for the radio version, I'm not feeling it yet, but maybe, it gets a lot better with the intro in there.  A different vibe I feel than Isolation and Addicted To Pain.  At least, AB is back.

I think the chorus might end up being a grower for some people, that stop time thing at the beginning of the chorus is different and takes some getting used to... Also, just heard the full song on youtube and it's much better with the full intro.

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #1211 on: July 25, 2016, 11:04:22 AM »
The full version is much better imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvn4mniGif8

Online Adami

« Reply #1212 on: July 25, 2016, 12:03:47 PM »
Listening now.

Solid song, pretty typical for modern AB, but lots of energy.

Is it just the streaming source or is this horribly mastered? This feel loud as hell and completely brickwalled, which is odd since no other AB album has that problem. I'm hoping the album itself isn't this bad of quality.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1213 on: July 25, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »
I feel like it's got to be the streaming source from that Sirius site, because that Youtube video that ninja posted, with the intro included, sounded not as loud.

Online Adami

« Reply #1214 on: July 25, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »
I feel like it's got to be the streaming source from that Sirius site, because that Youtube video that ninja posted, with the intro included, sounded not as loud.

Yup, you're right. Good thing. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1215 on: July 25, 2016, 12:32:26 PM »
Yeah, I was assuming the stream of the single was compressing the crap out of it.

Listened to it a couple more times (the full song) and I really do like it. Pretty good in comparison to other AB first singles (AtP, Isolation, Rise Today, etc...)

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1216 on: July 25, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »
Wow that intro makes the whole song so much better.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: July 25, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »
Interesting song, I enjoyed it and it sounds a bit more out of Myles' playbook than Tremonti's, especially coming from Myles' recent work with Slash.
Yeah, my first thought upon hearing it was that it sounds like it could easily be a Slash song.

And yes, it's much better with the intro.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #1218 on: July 25, 2016, 02:25:46 PM »
Oh yeah, that intro make the difference. Alter Bridge showing off those latin licks again ala Ties That Bind, Avaho Rabo Taco Salad.

I like Myles's solo in the beginning.....has a In The Presence of Enemies pt 1 vibe to it

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1219 on: July 25, 2016, 04:10:22 PM »
I got my one listen. Gonna have to show some restraint, but I've mastered that waiting for AB albums. I really dig the full song. Nothing spectacular, but still cool and a little different in some ways. Very AB in other ways. Not a huge fan of the chorus, but maybe it will grow on me in 3 months when I listen again.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1220 on: July 25, 2016, 04:23:26 PM »
I dig it, great tune! Much better with the intro and the chorus kicks ass!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1221 on: July 25, 2016, 08:13:31 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOAH
NOOOOOOOOOOOAH
NOOOOOOOOOOOAH

Loved the song.

I'm really hyped because I know that generally an AB's first single off a new album is a good song, but not the best song of the album. Can't imagine what the rest of the songs might sound like! :metal

Offline Basekick

« Reply #1222 on: July 25, 2016, 10:23:05 PM »
Oh yeah, that intro make the difference. Alter Bridge showing off those latin licks again ala Ties That Bind, Avaho Rabo Taco Salad.

I like Myles's solo in the beginning.....has a In The Presence of Enemies pt 1 vibe to it

You know, it was one of the rare times that I thought of Dream Theater when listening to AB. Interesting that you felt the same way.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1223 on: July 26, 2016, 08:18:12 AM »
FYI, the full song Show Me a Leader (5:05) is up on Spotify. I like this version soooo much more than the radio edit.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1224 on: July 26, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »
The news just keeps a rolling.  They got some headlining US shows, some of them in areas that I really did not expect them to hit.  They probably will hit the bigger areas (New York, LA, Chicago, etc.) early next year.

SEP. 22 Destin, FL, USA - Club LA

SEP. 25 San Antonio, TX, USA - The Aztec Theater

SEP. 28 Minneapolis, MN, USA - Skyway Theatre

SEP.29 Lincoln, NE, USA - Bourbon Theatre

OCT. 4 Matthews, NC, USA - The Fillmore Charlotte

OCT. 5 Nashville, TN, USA - War Memorial Auditorium

OCT. 8 - Tulsa State Fair