Author Topic: Kamelot Top 50 ***Updated for new album  (Read 25321 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Kamelot Top 50
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »
I almost did the same thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
5. The Edge of Paradise (from Epica)

Ok, finally to the top 5.  Sorry for being a little sluggish on the updates recently, but it’s midterm season where I am.  Anyways, up now is another absolute gem of a song: “The Edge of Paradise.”  Similar to “Rule the World,” it’s got a very laid-back feel, and peppered with Arabic-flavoured melodies.  The song is supposed to evoke a feeling of a hallucinogenic daze, and it accomplishes this quite well.  Most of the effects are very subtle, but they work together to deliver a unified feel.  There’s Khan’s drifting, almost lazy singing (with whispering in the background), cool keyboard effects, female backing vocals that are just barely in the mix, and snazzy little bits like at 1:47 (listen in the left headphone for the extremely faint wood instrument; not quite sure what it is.  Oboe?).  Anyways, the verses are great.  I especially love the snare lead-in to the second chorus; it’s so simple, but so well-placed.  In fact, Grillo puts in a solid performance on this song; I really like the china splashes that occur off-beat on the second part of the main riff.  The instrumental section is good as well, and the reprise of the chanting from “Interlude I” really allows the song to build up towards its final chorus.  Fantastic song, and should definitely be played live more often, as it is fantastic on One Cold Winter’s Night.

4. Serenade from (The Black Halo)

Earlier, I begrudgingly allowed “Epilogue” its place as a bonus track rather than the counterpart to Epica’s “Prologue,” because The Black Halo already had the perfect ending.  And here it is.  Although the story is more or less wrapped up, “Serenade” caps off two albums dominated by despair and melancholy with a couple of moments of happiness and hope.  Even though the main tale of the two albums is finished, the brilliance in “Serenade” lies in its reflections of the main themes of the concept.  The title itself is a nod to a line in “III Ways to Epica,” and it touches on, in four and a half minutes, virtually every thought raised in the course of the concept.  Every metaphor, every query, every philosophical musing, is briefly mentioned; but the song doesn’t deliver verdicts except for the absolute: “No one ever denies/If once given life we must die.”  The song itself is joyous and upbeat, for the first time since “A Feast for the Vain,” is incredibly catchy, and features wonderful riffing and a great solo to finish.  And it also has, arguably, the greatest moment in all of Kamelot’s discography.  At 2:56, the song pauses; the distortion comes off, and the female choir enters:

What does the winter bring

And Khan, almost tentatively, replies:

If not yet another spring?

I don’t think I have to point out the brilliance in this line; but I will anyways.  Lyrically, it’s an achievement that I have never seen matched: Khan sums up the entire message of the two concept albums in two lines.  The entire concept - all the characters, the story, the lyrics - lead up to this point.  And boy oh boy is there payoff.  Not only does it utilize one of the long-running metaphors of the concept, but it perfectly caps off not only song’s feeling of hope, but the entirety of Ariel’s search for happiness, knowledge, and ultimately, redemption.  Utterly fantastic; probably my favourite lyrics in any music, and most certainly my favourite for the best lyrics to close an album.  
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2010, 04:11:10 PM »
Serenade? It's the only song from that album that does nothing for me.

Your list fails again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2010, 04:14:49 PM »

Your list fails again.

Why don't you like it?  I can't think of how there could have been a better ending to the album.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »

Your list fails again.

Why don't you like it?  I can't think of how there could have been a better ending to the album.

It just doesn't sound very inspired to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2010, 04:56:57 PM »
Memento Mori better be #1.
caw caw

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2010, 07:16:45 AM »
Memento Mori better be #1.

it HAS to be considering the placement of some of these songs  :lol
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »
SPOILERS:
Memento Mori is 3. Rhydin is 1.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:58 AM »
There are way worse Kamelot songs than Rhydin.

The one I feel really bad about leaving off this list is "Call of the Sea."  A great song ruined by Vanderbilt's vocals; it's fucking phenomenal on The Expedition with Khan.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »
Here's my problem with Serenade: It's a fine song...out of context. IN context it takes all the emotion that was built up, the beautiful ending created by Memento Mori, and goes "Ehh...screw it."

...my name is Araragi.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Haha, I know. I kinda like it. But Adami hasn't approved of many choices, so I thought I'd nominate a song that's definitely not a number one.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »
Here's my problem with Serenade: It's a fine song...out of context. IN context it takes all the emotion that was built up, the beautiful ending created by Memento Mori, and goes "Ehh...screw it."

I completely disagree.  I'll explain why... later.  But I'll definitely get back to this point.

EDIT: In fact, I'd argue that Serenade's greatness is inherit in its context.  Lyrically, musically, it's to me the perfect ending for the album.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:11:38 AM by GuineaPig »

Online Adami

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2010, 12:08:55 PM »
Haha, I know. I kinda like it. But Adami hasn't approved of many choices, so I thought I'd nominate a song that's definitely not a number one.

Oddly enough, rhydin is possibly the best kamelot song ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2010, 02:37:25 PM »
Seeing them again in 2 weeks  :metal.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2010, 05:42:38 PM »
I agree with your placement of Serenade :tup

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
I agree with your placement of Serenade :tup

Thank you.  No-one agrees with me in this thread  :'(

Online Adami

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »
Post the rest already damnit. I have my thumb on a trigger that would send a bomb directly to your bathroom. Don't make me do this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2010, 07:29:22 PM »
3. Descent of the Archangel (from Epica)

Similar to “A Feast for the Vain,” I’m not quite sure about the fan opinion on this song.  It never seems to be one of the songs that people mention off of Epica, and as far as I know, it only got played on one or two legs of the Ghost Opera tour in terms of live exposure.  However, regardless of whether the rest of the fan community is ambivalent towards it, I absolutely love it to bits.  It has a number of great performances, including the usual stalwart Khan, Mr. Grillo, and even a good guest guitar solo by Luca Turilli, the guitarist of the incredibly awful Rhapsody of Fire.  The intro is super cool, and it explodes into a great riff.  The verses are great, and the chorus is extremely catchy and very well-written.  The song also features an incredible orchestral part in the second verse; starting at 1:53.  Seriously, it’s amazing.  The strings come out of nowhere, building into an incredible and grandiose melody, and then recede to piano as quickly as it appeared, all in the course of 15 seconds.  It’s another great illustration of how the keyboard is not relegated to “the instrument that just sits in the background and never can drive the melody in a metal song.”  I’m not going to burden this song with accolades; it’s simply fantastically written, features awesome riffs (listen to the rapid fire stuff at the end of each chorus!), memorable melodies, great lyrics, and solid performances.  What more could you ask of a song?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
2. Lunar Sanctum (from The Fourth Legacy)

A common fan complaint with Kamelot setlists is that not enough songs from the pre-Epica days get rotation on tour.  Personally, I have to agree: there are a lot of gems, such as “The Fourth Legacy,” “Silent Goddess,” “Elizabeth,” “Millennium,” “The Expedition,” etc. who don’t get the rotation they deserve.  That being said, I’d be willing to trade all of them for “Lunar Sanctum,” an absolute masterpiece of a song, and a more refined jewel in the rough of the power-metal heavy The Fourth Legacy.  Lyrically, the song is impeccable; it was Khan’s first truly great lyric, and a sign of what he was able to accomplish with a non-fantasy subject.  A simple concept: a man thinking of a woman he loves while looking at the night sky, is spun into a grander metaphor of the conversion of pagan societies to Christianity.  From a musical standpoint, the song is also one of Kamelot’s finest: Youngblood lays down some great guitar as well as a fantastic solo, Glenn Barry delivers one of his few stand-out performances on bass, and the keyboard work with quickly emerging and disappearing melodies gives a rich texture to the second half of the song.  The chorus is probably my favourite one from Kamelot, which is saying a lot; once again, the lyrics, not just the melodies, help to make it memorable.  I’d say that this is one of the first Kamelot songs where the band truly showed that they were capable of more than just above-average power metal; that they were able to rise above the mire in a genre sorely lacking in maturity and intelligence, and put their own definitive lyrical and musical stamp on it.  Absolutely sublime.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Your previous fails are almost forgiven for mentioning Descent of the Archangel  :metal :metal :metal :metal

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2010, 11:49:28 PM »
Serenade, Descent of the Archangel and Lunar Sanctum? All awesome choices.

#1 is obviously Memento Mori, unless you pull a fail like the Thrice guy did when he left off Daedalus.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2010, 11:52:31 PM »
Serenade, Descent of the Archangel and Lunar Sanctum? All awesome choices.

#1 is obviously Memento Mori, unless you pull a fail like the Thrice guy did when he left off Daedalus.

Yep. Except for the Serenade bit.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:36:03 AM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Online Adami

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2010, 12:34:37 AM »
I don't know if I'd make Lunar Sanctum number 2, but definetly a top 5.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »
I don't know if I'd make Lunar Sanctum number 2, but definetly a top 5.

I wouldn't have it in the top 10, personally.

I think it's the most overrated Kamelot song from their entire discography.

Still a good song, though.

Love You To Death, III Ways to Epica, Memento Mori and Karma would all be in my top 5, however.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2010, 09:33:48 AM »
I can't believe I never checked out TFL before this list :|

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2010, 01:52:25 PM »
Sorry for the long time between posts.  Midterms reared their ugly head, and so I had to take some time off to actually study.  Anyways, it’s not like there was any tension over what would be my #1, as the responses in this thread have indicated.  Well, I suppose I’ll finish this then.

1. Memento Mori (from The Black Halo)

Not much of a twist ending.  Despite the plenty of times I’ve emphasized the quality and consistency of Kamelot’s musical output post-Siége Perilous, and my fanboyish droolings over many of the songs on this list, there really is a Kamelot song that stands head and shoulders above the rest.  For a band that’s this good and has produced this many albums, I’d have to say this as close to agreement that one fanbase can come to to declare what is, nearly objectively, the best song.  It’s a definite testament to “Memento Mori” that it garners as much acclaim as it does.  It is a near-perfect specimen of power metal, an extremely satisfying (even in its ambiguity) close to the story of Ariel, and a masterpiece of lyrical and emotional expression.  I don’t really have to explain why I rate this song so high; every Kamelot fan knows.  Nevertheless, I will indulge in hyperbole for one last time.  The performances are fantastic; specifically Messrs. Khan, Grillo, and Youngblood.  This is one of the few Kamelot songs that really allows the musicians to shine in an extended instrumental section.  I really wish Kamelot would move towards more instrumental sections in the future; they show on “Memento Mori” their ability to carry the song without Khan.  Youngblood in particular lays down what is his definitive performance, bringing crushing riffs, peaceful guitars and soaring solos in equal measure.  Grillo also mixes things up, driving the song forward primarily with the toms rather than a typical high-hat/snare beat.  And Khan of course, delivers a fantastic performance to go with the perfect lyrics.  Some of my favourite moments include the keyboard bit at 2:06 and its reprise at 6:47, the second verse, the part with Helena and Mephisto, the riff at 6:05, and the build-up that follows.  Utterly spellbinding, and completely deserving of #1 on any Kamelot fan’s list.

So... thoughts?  Reflections?  Criticism?  Favourite songs, lyrics? 

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
Abandoned should have been #2. That will be all.
caw caw

Online Adami

« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2010, 03:08:01 PM »
This list was like sex with a prostitute. At first it got me excited, then it started going horribly wrong, then I felt dirty then it ended the way everyone knew it would and I walked away unfulfilled.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2010, 03:51:13 PM »
This list was like sex with a prostitute. At first it got me excited, then it started going horribly wrong, then I felt dirty then it ended the way everyone knew it would and I walked away unfulfilled.

:rollin

but

:'(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
Pig, thanks for making this list. Once again, I had a Kamelot CD in my hands today, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I just can't get over the hump. I'm listening to Memento Mori now. I'll try and sample your Top 10, to start. Which album would you recommend for ME? Do they have anything new coming out?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2010, 06:27:08 PM »
I am a man without a mystery
The deal is done within
I will embrace the coldest winter breeze
The journey can begin
I'm still the god in my own history
I still believe that she will come to me
And whisper out my name

Some day we may come to peace
And reach beyond behind the lies
And I will await you
Until I close my eyes
Close my eyes,
Close my eyes...

One thing that strucks me out from Memento Mori is its incredible lyrics. It's poetry, a true work of art.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline robwebster

« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »
Pig, thanks for making this list. Once again, I had a Kamelot CD in my hands today, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I just can't get over the hump. I'm listening to Memento Mori now. I'll try and sample your Top 10, to start. Which album would you recommend for ME? Do they have anything new coming out?
Peeeeersonally...

The Fourth Legacy is my favourite power metal album, and my favourite Kamelot album actually, but on the surface it's a little bit closer to straight-up power metal by their standards. Not to say it's not brilliant - oh it definitely is - but I don't think it quite does the best job of showcasing what's unique about the band, and it took me a few months to warm to it. But it is a very, very strong album, and I know you like power metal so it might be the right one for you.
EXAMPLE: Nights of Arabia

Epica and The Black Halo are basically sister albums. They both tell an over-arching concept and they're kind of definitive. Kamelot took a long time to warm up, which gave them a while to refine their sound. Both of them catchy but uniquely so, these are the "core" of Kamelot and you can't really go wrong with either of them. They've got everything in spades. Each song is an event. Except the interludes. And maybe This Pain. Which is still good. These are really the bread and butter.
EXAMPLE: March of Mephisto from The Black Halo. (SO good.)

Ghost Opera was a bit of a hard left turn. They'd grown relatively gradually, building up to a kind of "crowning moment of awesome." The Black Halo was going to be pretty hard to follow up. So, instead they kind of veered off into uncharted territory and did something a bit dirtier and heavier. It's still often very beautiful and often thrilling, which is kind of Kamelot's speciality, but it's a bit... "darker and edgier." Which hasn't sat well with everyone - I think the jury's still out on it, to be honest. It's still relatively recent. We'll see how it goes down in Kam history. It's a wildcard, but if you like the sound of it, then go for it.
EXAMPLE: Ghost Opera

Karma's very solid as well, somewhere between TFL and Epica in style and time, and the other three (Siege Perilous, Dominion, and... something else) are not good starting points.

As for new albums, they've got... something coming out at some point in time. But nobody's really clarified what it's called or when it's due, yet. Was meant to be out this month, really.

My actual recommendation though, would be to go for the live album, which is One Cold Winter's Night. It's a VERY even spread, a lot of killer songs (all bangers, no mash), a highly charged performance, and it really gets across the fun aspect in the same breath as the rockiness. Definitely the best. Might even be my favourite live album, it's so so strong. But, I know some people aren't keen on starting with live stuff, so if not then... pick and choose whichever of the above sounds best to you, really!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:23:17 AM by robwebster »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »

They have a new album coming out sometime in the next two months.

As for a starting point, there's really no other sensible place to start besides The Black Halo.  It's a fantastic album, and the apex of the sound they had been developing since the start of their career.  What makes Kamelot stronger than other power metal bands is manifest in this album; great lyrics and a progressive feel, without sacrificing great melodies.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »
The Black Motherfuckin' Halo is the one album that every metal head should own from the band. It is, in my opinion, the best album put out by any artist since it came out. That's right, I would say that I have not heard any album in the last 5 years that tops it.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2010, 08:03:27 PM »
I'm going to be in Paris next week for Spring Break (Going with my college) and as luck would have it, Kamelot is playing about 5 minutes from the hotel on March 31st!

So not only do I get to go on a wicked vacation but I get to see Kamelot in a foreign country!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."