Author Topic: Kamelot Top 50 ***Updated for new album  (Read 25317 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Kamelot Top 50
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »
The Shadow Of Uther is beyond cheesy, but I love it. Still Adami is right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 12:43:33 PM »
Spoiler alert: It's not.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »
I didnt know they had 50 songs. But I wouldnt know, lol. I only have two of their albums, and while im not a fan of them, they have an amazing singer.
Hell yea, Khan owns. Seeing them live again next month :D.

Am as well!  Where are you seeing them?  I'm in London, so I'll be at KOKO in Camden Town.
Tilburg. Can't wait for the show, last time was so awesome. Best atmosphere at a concert ever. There seem to be so many Kamelot fans in the Netherlands, it was sold out quite fast and EVERYONE sings along and participates and stuff. It's amazing.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »
We haven't seen Karma, Elizabeth, or Memento Mori yet. They had all better be top five songs /fistshake

...my name is Araragi.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »
Well, personally, my top 25 for Kamelot are all 4/5 star songs, and very tough to rank.  Therefore don't be too offended by my rankings  :P
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 03:08:16 PM »
25. Nothing Ever Dies (from The Black Halo)

“Nothing Ever Dies” is another great example of the fantastic rhythm work that guitarist Thomas Youngblood consistently puts out.  The song features some absolutely rapid-fire riffing, relentlessly driving the song forward.  It gives the song a great groove, and gives it one of Kamelot’s best “full-tilt” sections.  However, as is typical of these songs, the real highlight is the calm section starting at 2:07.  Unfortunately for “Nothing Ever Dies”, the transition from this section into a rather inappropriate guitar solo is not as good as it could have been, and costs it marks.  Regardless, a great song.

24. Mourning Star (from Ghost Opera)

Another excellent song from Ghost Opera, “Mourning Star” is another one of the mid-tempo rockers Kamelot does so well.  It benefits from the use of 7-string guitars that was new at the time for Youngblood, and similar to “Up Through the Ashes”, creates a very dissonant harmony along with the haunting strings.  I’m a big fan of when Khan uses effects on his voice, and in this song it sounds great.  The heavy, gritty verses work well in contrast with the more serene choruses (with Amanda Somerville, again, put to great use).  I also especially like the little “stoppage” the takes place before each chorus.  It helps forge a seamless transition between the two styles, which would have been extremely awkward otherwise.  Also, special note is given on this song to Youngblood’s fabulous solo.  He doesn’t have a lot of them, usually favouring shredding over melody (resulting in very few memorable moments), but this one is phrased much better than many of his others.  Great song.

23. Karma (from Karma)

I know many people are going to hate me for this.  But the title track to Kamelot’s fifth album has never inspired in me the worship many direct to it.  There’s no doubt that it’s a great song; especially live, where it’s catchy chorus just begs to be sung-along to.  However, similar to “Forever” (although much less in severity), it suffers from being a tad too typical; that’s enough to put it below much of the competition.  However, to make amends for this heretical statement, I’ll dissect why it’s still a great song.  First of all: the melodies in this song are fantastic.  The piano that forges the backbone of the intro and chorus is simple and memorable; I love that the guitar can take a backseat while still retaining its heavy sound.  The lyrics are also top-notch, which I think is one of the major reasons that Kamelot is so fun to sing along to; you don’t feel dumb singing the lyrics, unlike many other power metal bands.  Anyways, although it ranks a little lower on the studio list than it might on a live list, it’s still a great song.

22. III Ways to Epica (from Epica)

The closer of the first of the two albums in the Faust concept, “III Ways to Epica” masterfully wrapped up the various characters and plot in an extremely graceful, and well, awesome way.  Starting off with an impressive intro, the song alternates between lines delivered by Mephisto (played with suitable menace by Khan) and soaring a duet between Ariel and Helena.  The reprise of the theme in “Farewell” at 3:45 is potentially my favourite moment of the album, and the solo that builds out of it is excellent.  I wish that the middle section was longer, though; I feel like the mood in the middle wasn’t given enough room to breathe.  Anyways, this song also features some of Youngblood’s best rhythm work.  Just listen to the way the guitar works under the intro and chorus, delivering an excellent underpinning, and then exploding furiously into double-time to finish.  However, I was never quite satisfied with the ending; I felt that the album should’ve been capped off in a more grandiose way.  Regardless, that’s a very minor quibble with a very good song.

21. This Pain (from The Black Halo)

Speaking of great rhythm guitar work, “This Pain” has it in spades.  Practically the entire song is dominated by Youngblood’s riffs on the bottom two strings.  The chorus in particular features some memorable riffing; while the drums and bass are locked in a 4/4 groove, Youngblood is spicing up the guitar work by adding extra notes in, rather than playing it straight with the other instruments.  Although the keyboard is relegated to a supporting role, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t contribute: the organ throughout is fantastic (especially the little pattern that enters at 0:41).  There isn’t a lot to say about this song, as it is fairly short and simple; but it still manages to deliver a killer groove that gets your head-banging in no time.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
III ways to epica at 22? Come on man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »
Sounds like these songs are being denounced because they aren't technical or proggy enough.

PROG SNOB! PROG SNOB!

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »
Kamelot, prog? Technical?

:lol

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 04:31:45 PM »
Not a fan of these positions at all. (Love You to Death, Karma, III Steps to Epica, all way WAY too high up)

But i'm reading through it all nonetheless.  ;)
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »
Sounds like these songs are being denounced because they aren't technical or proggy enough.

PROG SNOB! PROG SNOB!

Yeah, I am beating on some of them.   ;D  It's 'cause I find a lot of power metal to be enjoyable, but simply too similar and boring over long periods.  So, the songs that are the most unique (in Kamelot's case, usually the more progressive ones) are the ones that I find myself coming back to for lots of repeat listens.

Not a fan of these positions at all. (Love You to Death, Karma, III Steps to Epica, all way WAY too high up)

But i'm reading through it all nonetheless.  ;)

I can understand why a lot of people would switch up the orders.  For a power metal band, Kamelot have changed their style a fair bit, and depending on what you look for in a song, this can change your ratings a lot.  Personally, the top 25 or so are quite interchangeable, as close as I find them in quality.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
20. The Fourth Legacy (from The Fourth Legacy)

“The Fourth Legacy” kicks off the Miro/Sascha Paeth era with a bang.  It immediately showcases the improved production values and the orchestration by Miro.  The song continues the move that started on Siége Perilous towards more traditional power-metal, as thoroughly exemplified with the double-bass and 32-note chugging guitars.  The reason I rate “The Fourth Legacy” above many of the other Kamelot songs in this style is that it simply has an infectious spirit to it: it’s faster, more urgent; it feels like the band new what they were capable of in this new chapter of their history.  Khan in particular gives a soaring vocal performance, much higher than his typical approach; but due to the sheer energy of the song, it works. 

19. Temples of Gold (from Karma)

Another excellent ballad.  I don’t know how many more accolades I can throw at Kamelot’s knack for writing great songs like these.  The things that sets Kamelot apart from other bands in this regard are, I think, based upon their classic strengths: great lyrics, a more mature approach, superb orchestration, and the excellent vocals of Khan.   All of these elements are present on “Temples of Gold”, Kamelot’s first truly great ballad, and the first of many to come.  Hopefully this one gets out on tour sometime; it’s never been played live, and richly deserves it.

18. Silent Goddess (from The Fourth Legacy)

Another entry from The Fourth Legacy, “Silent Goddess” is somewhat similar to “This Pain” in that it’s not particularly innovative or unique, but carries a killer groove throughout that is simply irresistible.  It might get a couple spots higher, if like “The Fourth Legacy”, wasn’t afflicted with lyrics that, although decent, were a little more memorable (i.e., not typical fantasy clichés).  However, Khan still gives a great performance, and the instrumental section is absolutely fantastic, with the guitar harmony at 3:15 that leads back into the main riff deserving special mention. 

17. March of Mephisto (from The Black Halo)

Wow.  What an incredible way to open the second album in the Faust concept; rather than going with the typical classical intro followed by an upbeat, traditional power-metal tune, Kamelot goes with a slow builder based around the Devil himself.  Whereas in Epica Mephisto was played by Khan, Kamelot got Shagrath (of Dimmu Borgir fame) to guest on The Black Halo.  Normally, I’m not a big fan of harsher vocals, but they are undeniably put to good use here, giving the part suitable menace.  When Shagrath alternates with Khan on the choruses, it gives the song a terrific punch.  It also helps that the lyrics are fantastic; Mephisto’s scathing view of Ariel renders some awesome lines, such as “Your fragile heart feeds my contempt,” or “I am the spore of your pride/An angel heavensent/The master of all/I am the urge of the flesh.”  Regardless of what some of the other people here have said about the keyboard solo, I for one love it (although I understand why they don’t play it live).  The approach of the rhythm section to the 4/4 beat beneath the solo is mind-boggling; I don’t remember enough of my music theory to figure out exactly what they’re doing, but I sure like it.  Most of all what I love about this song is how unique it is: there isn’t another song like it in Kamelot’s discography.  A slow, steady opener with growls and a keyboard solo?  Count me in.  Awesome.

16. Epilogue (bonus track from The Black Halo)
It’s a shame that this song has been too often relegated to “bonus” status.  First as an extra for the Japanese version of The Black Halo, and then stuck at the end of the reissue for Ghost Opera, the song has nevertheless become a fan favourite.  And with good reason; the song is another incredible ballad.  This time, it’s all acoustic- only piano, acoustic guitar, and Khan; it gives the song a very calm and serene tone.  Lyrics, are again, fabulous, and Khan gives what may be his best vocal performance.  As for whether or not it should’ve been on The Black Halo as an “epilogue” is debatable; although the song is fantastic, and it’s title and lyrics would make it a great closer to the concept, I think The Black Halo already has the best ending possible.  What does everyone else think about this?  Anyways, the song’s beautiful, and another wonderful entry in Kamelot’s ever-increasing store of amazing ballads.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »
How the hell did I never listen to the Fourth Legacy properly? :omg: :omg:

THIS IS AWESOME

Offline robwebster

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »
How the hell did I never listen to the Fourth Legacy properly? :omg: :omg:

THIS IS AWESOME
Oh god, it's fantastic.

Don't know if this is controversial or no, but The Fourth Legacy is my favourite Kamelot album by faaaaar. So good. Didn't do anything for me at first and I left it for about four months. Then I picked it up again after seeing the band live in March '07 and it just blew me away. Ridiculously good.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »
The Fourth Legacy is a really fun listen.  It's pure power metal through and through, but there's enough diversity among the songs to make it a great album to listen through as a whole. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 03:38:50 PM »
I think our tastes in Kamelot differ a lot as my top 50 would be very different.  Can't wait to see them in NYC in September.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2010, 07:35:44 PM »
15. Moonlight (from The Black Halo)

It’s tough to over-emphasize the importance of Michael Rodenberg, mostly known as “Miro” to Kamelot’s sound and the ensuing quality of their albums since he and Sascha Paeth began working with the band on 1999’s The Fourth Legacy.  From then until the hiring of Oliver Palotai during The Black Halo tour in 2005, Kamelot went without a regular keyboardist, relying on Miro for studio work and hired guns (such as Günter Werno from Vanden Plas) for tours.  Although the principal melodies are fleshed out by Khan and Youngblood, the orchestral bombast so integral to Kamelot’s sound is largely Miro’s doing.  For example, it’s difficult to imagine a song like “Moonlight” showing up on Siége Perilous; the piano intro, the rich strings on the chorus, and the orchestra dominated mid-section would all sound so pale and weak.  But not to give the impression that bombast and grandiosity is all Miro is capable of, “Moonlight” also exhibits the way he can subtly give songs another edge.  Listen at 0:45 as the strings slowly creep in over the guitar, before moving to an organ, before fading to a simple pattern on the piano.  Great stuff, and a great song.

14. Silence of the Darkness (from Ghost Opera)

Here’s an interesting little progression I don’t know if many Kamelot fans have noticed; the way one particular lyric has evolved over a couple of albums.  In “Wander”, there was this lyric: “From ashes we were born/In silence we unite.”  This got reprised in “When the Lights are Down,” except in a slightly different form; “In the silence of the darkness we unite.”  In this case, it appears on Ghost Opera to provide the title for a song.  Although lyrically there’s no connection (as far as I know) between the latter two, it’s just an amusing fact.  Similarly, I’ve seen a lot of people complain that “On the Coldest Winter Night” wasn’t included on the One Cold Winter’s Night DVD, arguing that it provided the name for it.  But it didn’t; it comes from a line on “The Haunting,” which is featured.  Anyways, back on topic: “Silence of the Darkness” is a fantastic song.  The guitar riffs are incredible, the orchestration is top-notch, the melodies sublime.  The intro may be one of my favourite; just the way it builds from just the one guitar, to a massive enemble of instruments.  Once again, the verses have an interesting syncopation to bely their 4/4 nature.  While the keyboard solo isn’t that great, the build towards the end of it (that is also repeated at the end of the song) is awesome.  I hope to see some more solos from Palotai in the future, as his keyboard solo on the DVD is phenomenal, and shows a keen, classical sense.

13. On the Coldest Winter Night (from Epica)

I think I’ve just about exhausted my praise for ballads.  I think I’ll just focus on individual elements of “On the Coldest Winter Night” that make it great.  First of all, the all-acoustic approach, like “Epilogue,” is a great touch to the song.  For the most part, I loathe power-ballads, and by keeping things sparse, the song manages to be emotional without getting sappy.  The lyrics are of course exceptional, and Khan’s performance is fantastic.  The end of the second verse, when Khan goes up on “You found me here today” is magical.  The solo is also quite well done, with Youngblood wisely restraining himself.  The D-bass also adds a nice touch.  Fantastic song, and it should definitely be brought out again live.

12. Elizabeth (from Karma)

I might face a little heat for putting this song so low.  I know it’s a favourite of a lot of people’s, but I’ll do my best to explain my placement.  The big issue I have with it as a “song” is that it isn’t, really; it’s more of a suite.  Sure they play it live together, but it goes through three extremely distinct phases, and reprises a grand total of 0 melodies or lyrics during the last two.  So, I judge it more on the strength of the three songs individually.  Of course, the three are all strong; in my opinion, the quality decreases over the three, with “Mirror Mirror” being the strongest and “Fall From Grace” being the weakest.  However, it still has some great melodies (in particular the “Have I found myself divinity/I’m no longer a slave/To the vicious hands of time” and the chorus in “Requiem for the Innocent”).  It has very good lyrics, and some great riffery.  However, due to its fractured nature, it doesn’t have the same cohesive qualities that make other metal epics so great.  Sorry, “Elizabeth,” but if it’s any consolation, #12 for Kamelot is still a great place to be.

11. Ghost Opera (from Ghost Opera)

Befitting it’s name, “Ghost Opera” really displays Miro and Palotai’s talents, creating an extremely dense and furious showcase of strings.  Once again, the deep guitar/strings combination that I’ve commented on before sounds fabulous, and really makes the song a benchmark for how “symphonic” symphonic metal should be.  Amanda Somerville is once again a great contributor to this track, and her melody in the chorus is always a pleasure to hear.  It was even put to great effect in the music video, which usually don’t impress me.  Youngblood provides a great solo on this song; it seems to me, that as a soloist, he’s improved a lot over his career; his phrasing and melodic sense have improved a lot over the years, and he displays it a lot on Ghost Opera.  Great song.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »
Good list, but.... :tdwn @ Ghost Opera higher than Elizabeth.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
I think "Elizabeth" gets over-rated simply because its long.  It's sort of the same phenomenon as "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence", if you ask me.

As soon as you break it down into the three songs it truly is, it becomes less impressive.  Still fantastic, but enough to slide it out of the top 10.

Online Adami

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
That's like saying ACOS isn't a top 10 DT song because it's fractured and each section doesn't hold up by itself as an amazing song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »

Online Adami

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »
I honestly think your appearent extreme love of ghost opera is jading the top 50.

Either way, I don't like your list and I will do whatever possible, legal or illegal to destroy it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »
Wait....huh? You're telling me you didn't notice the similarities to the Elizabeth suite melody lines? Cuz they're there.

Also, Fall From Grace = Best hum along melody line of all time.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »
Wait....huh? You're telling me you didn't notice the similarities to the Elizabeth suite melody lines? Cuz they're there.

I can really only think of one, and even then it's somewhat of a stretch.

As for my "extreme love of Ghost Opera" ruining my list, I think everyone's extreme hatred of Ghost Opera is ruining their enjoyment of my list  ;D

Besides, you could always comment on my analysis.  Share your favourite parts from every song, your favourite lyrics, your favourite performances, etc.  I didn't intend for this thread to be as much about my list as much as I wanted it to be a celebration of Kamelot's great music.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »

I can really only think of one, and even then it's somewhat of a stretch.

As for my "extreme love of Ghost Opera" ruining my list, I think everyone's extreme hatred of Ghost Opera is ruining their enjoyment of my list  ;D
I agree! Ghost Opera is fantastic. It's not the first one I pick up, but it competes with the rest of their catalogue no prob. The title track is one of the single finest songs they've released.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2010, 12:18:25 AM »
Agreed. The title cut is top ten material for me. It has all the necessary elements perfectly balanced. It's a definitive track for the band.

The album as a whole is a step down from Black Halo, but it's still up there with the likes of Epica I'd say.

Online Adami

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »
Aside from the first 4 tracks (if you include the intro) I'd put it with the likes of seige perilus.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2010, 09:16:50 PM »
10. The Black Halo (from The Black Halo)

The title track from what few would deny is Kamelot’s greatest album, “The Black Halo” is simply an impressive song to listen to.  It showcases all of Kamelot’s strengths in its short runtime, while still maintaining a sense of hard, driving, aggression.  The opening riff is fantastic; the way the guitar, drums, and keyboard come together is epic.  One of the little touches I especially like is the coordination between the the triplet on the bass drum and the second variation to the end of the riff (at 0:17, and again at 0:24).  The alternating 4/4 and 6/4 of the verses is quite cool as well.  I’m actually learning to play this song on guitar right now, and it’s really interesting to see all the little flourishes that Youngblood adds to what would otherwise be monotonous riffs.  Also, the song includes one of Youngblood’s best solos, and a fantastic chorus.  One of my favourite moments is the reprise of the main riff under the second half of the solo, and the way it leads back to the solo.  Great song.

9. When the Lights Are Down (from The Black Halo)

This song is just an all out rocker.  This song deserves special mention for its absolutely fantastic riffs; the opener and bridge riff are fantastic.  I love the way the keyboards build up the main theme of the chorus in the intro, and then the guitar takes over to cap it all off.  It’s times like this when you can really see how effective the keyboard/guitar combination is, and the sheer magnitude of the improvement (from the first three albums to this) in Kamelot’s sound as a result.  The chorus is one of Kamelot’s catchiest, which is really saying something.  It's sort of strange that I placed this song so high but don't have much to say about it; however, subtlety isn't exactly this song's strong suit.  What it does excel in is delivering a bit under 4 minutes of some of the catchiest and fun power metal.  Fantastic song.

8. Rule the World (from Ghost Opera)

Before the Ghost Opera haters jump all over me, this is the last song from the album on this list.  It gets top billing for a number of reason; first of all, it’s catchy as hell.  Perhaps only “When the Lights Are Down” and one or two songs to come can match it in this category.  Second, the lead into it (via “Solitaire”) is phenomenal, and is in my opinion, the most potent opening combo Kamelot have released.  Third of all, this song has just so many cool things going on in it.  I didn’t like Ghost Opera nearly as much until I listened to it with a proper set of headphones; sonically, it has a lot of cool stuff going on, and “Rule the World” is a good example of this.  There are a lot of cool keyboard and vocal parts that are all over the place (like at 0:19, 1:04, etc.).  The interplay between the choir and the keyboard is also killer; often you’ll hear the choir start a theme which is then picked up by the strings.  Fourth, there are some great performances here, particularly by Mr. Grillo and Mr. Khan.  A fantastic song, and I hope it stays in the live repertoire, because I would dearly love to see it in the flesh.

Online Adami

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Rule the world is an awesome song. Maybe not number 8, but in the top 20 for sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2010, 09:36:11 PM »
I can't really have much say in this thread, the only two Kamelot albums I could really get into are Black Halo and Ghost Opera. Loved them both though.
gone

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2010, 09:29:52 AM »
7. A Feast for the Vain (from Epica)

I’ve always nursed a soft spot for this song.  Frankly, I don’t know how it’s perceived by the Kamelot community; it never seems to show up on the lists of favourite songs, and it has never been played live.  However, I love it to bits.  The orchestral intro is really cool;  it really sets the mood for the song, and its revelrous tone.  Lyrically, the song describes Ariel’s participation in the feast hosted by Mephisto, intended to display to him the power and wealth he will control if he forfeits his soul.  From a story-telling point of view, it’s one of the best Kamelot songs lyrically; the lyrics flow superbly, and clearly illustrate the thoughts of both characters.  The second verse in particular is good at this (it may very well be my favourite individual verse in all of Kamelot’s discography).  It shows the depth of temptation that Ariel falls into when presented with the riches and power he thinks he wants:

It's a miracle
Life till now has been a waste
You have proved to me
By your hand I'm truly graced
Unbelievable
Gold and glitter blinding me
So adorable
All these women from my fantasies

The chorus has a suitably revelrous mood, and actually features the last time there is a major chord progression until the finale of The Black Halo.  The instrumental section is also quite interesting, alternating between 6/4 and 5/4, before leading back into a final chorus, with an addendum outlining Ariel’s modified deal for Mephisto.  Fantastic song.

6. Abandoned (from The Black Halo)

Some will undoubtedly be mad that this didn’t make the top 5.  It is, deservedly in my opinion, Kamelot’s best ballad, and an absolute masterpiece.  However, that still lands it outside of my top 5.  The fact is, I don’t listen to it as often as the five that come before it.  I should, of course, emphasize that #6 is still phenomenal when it comes to Kamelot, because their top 25 or so songs are all incredibly good.  I can see why a lot of people would consider it worthy of a top 5 or even first spot.  It is a remarkable showcase of lyrical and vocal ability, a performance that Allmusic rightfully described as a tour de force.  However, my favourite part of the song isn’t sung by Khan at all; it’s the return of Mari as Helena.  

I remember a song
Like in a dream
Where September was long
And winter unreal

This stanza is remarkably brilliant for a number of reasons.  First of all, the reprise of the   melody and lyrics from the opening line of “Helena’s Theme” (which itself, was introduced in “Interlude II (Omen)”) is incredible; the beautiful thing about this musical metaphor is that it’s so subtle.  They’re not hitting you over the head with what is little more than a cue, they’re carefully reprising a theme that has huge implications for the story and the characters.  It signifies love, desire, the cost of ambition, and the true scope of what Ariel has lost; its inclusion in “Abandoned” is absolutely perfect.  Also, there is the return of the use of seasons as a metaphor for the emotional state of the characters, which is also a great tie-in to the "song" metaphor.  Of course the rest of the song is a masterpiece as well; the orchestration is perfect, the final chorus is incredibly well done, being emotional but not over-wrought or sappy.  An incredible song, and in my mind the definitive guide to how a ballad should be done.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2010, 05:24:35 PM »
I will be mad that Abandoned didn't make the top 2. And the best part of Abandoned is right after Helena's words and right before the last 'chorus,' there's that split second clap of thunder and then Khan starts singing again.
caw caw

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »
Before we get to the top 5 songs, I want to do a quick "top 5" of the interludes on Epica and The Black Halo.  While normally I'm not a fan of interludes, finding them to be momentum-killing plot points, some of the ones on these two albums are actually quite good.  They are ranked, here.

5. Interlude III - At the Banquet (from Epica)

The lead-in to "A Feast for the Vain", "Interlude III" establishes the setting of Mephisto's castle.  Khan sings two little lines, very softly; it's a nice little touch that it's not the focus, but rather a little comment by the character.  The focus is the entrance of Mephisto, and the accompanying acoustic piece which leads straight into the next song.

4. Interlude I - Dei Gratia (from The Black Halo)

A beautiful lead-in to "Abandoned," "Interlude I" is solely Khan, singing in Latin.  It fits thematically and mood-wise with "Abandoned," and works well as a change in pace between it and "Soul Society."

3. Interlude I - Opiate Soul (from Epica)

I can't really make heads or tails of the meaning of this Interlude, but Wikipedia says it marks the passage of time of Ariel's journeys, so I'll go with that.  More Latin (I assume), but the chanting is cool, and Khan's high vocal over it is good too.  It makes for a great intro to "The Edge of Paradise."

2. Interlude II - Omen (from Epica)

This interlude actually perfectly represents how this concept was pulled off so masterfully.  This Interlude is supposed to represent how Ariel is depressed at his failures, and his reflections upon Helena (vocalized in "Wander").  Now, a lesser band would've written some lyrics to represent this.  But, instead of that, Kamelot utilize a short, 40 second piece utilizing only strings and piano.  How do they choose to convey the message?  Listen carefully to the piano; it's the same melody that later appears in "Helena's Theme"; it's the shared song mentioned in "Wander."  It's not something one would catch on their first or even fifth listen; it's an incredibly subtle cue.  It illustrates the character's thoughts perfectly without ever vocalizing them.  Brilliant.

1. Helena's Theme (from Epica)

Although technically not an interlude, I felt bad for leaving it off my list (as only songs over 2 minutes counted).  "Helena's Theme" is an extremely brilliant song, that manages to advance the characterization and plot a massive amount in its diminutive run-time.  The lyrics focus on the "song" metaphor, mentioned in my previous blurb on "Interlude II - Omen."  Helena sings the lyrics to the song's tune, and the result is actually quite sad, particularly the line "I thought I was that melody."  Great song.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »
I first just skimmed through your post and thought Helena's Theme was your #1 Kamelot song. I almost drop kicked you.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »
I first just skimmed through your post and thought Helena's Theme was your #1 Kamelot song. I almost drop kicked you.

:rollin

Actually, that's why I didn't bold the list.  I didn't want people to think that, and write me off as a lunatic.  :biggrin: