Author Topic: The Decemberists  (Read 28996 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Decemberists
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »
Oh ok! Fair enough. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2012, 01:04:54 PM »
Recently got a DVD of theirs from the mid 2000s which features close to an hour of live stuff, some of their videos like The Tain, 16 Military Wives, etc. and a documentary I still need to watch.  One of the live songs was this (this exact performance):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYutHS7e94I

:hat :hat :hat

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Has anyone picked up the live album yet?  Anyone?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
I saw it at the store, but I passed it up for some other releases. I'm not really a "live album" kind of person, but this release looks intriguing. Though I can't stand cover art/photos like on this release, even on live albums.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2012, 10:06:27 PM »
I've had The King is Dead for six months and the only songs that grabbed me were Down By The River (cool country feeling) and This is Why We Fight (though I had to edit that secret ending, it was bugging me big time). I haven't heard any other songs besides the ones on this album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
I'm not really a "live album" kind of person

Me neither.  Releasing a live album, but not a live DVD and/or Blu-Ray?  Pfft, that is so 30 years ago. :lol >:(

Offline TVC 15

« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:04 PM »
I wouldn't have bothered if it was any other band, but The Decemberists are one of those groups that bring it onstage.  I've seen them twice and both were fantastic experiences.  They have a way of bringing the audience into their performances.  Colin's stage banter: nuggets.  That's the other thing.

Those are some of the reasons why I picked up the live album myself.

Online Mladen

« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2012, 04:00:09 AM »
They should have released the DVD as well. I'm not a live album person neither, but the track list is fantastic, they actually busted out some really old songs for it. And I might even have to get it in order to hear all three parts of The Crane wife in a row.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2012, 06:35:29 AM »
Personally, I really like good live albums, but I rarely feel the desire to sit in front of my TV to watch a full one.  I might pick this up just because the tracklist is so good.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
Do they never play The Island live or what?

Online glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2012, 11:50:22 AM »
Do they never play The Island live or what?

They played it at my show last year.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »
Right on.  Bummer that it's not on the live album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »
I remember looking at their set lists when I first got into them last year and before and after the show we went to, and I remember The Island being played sporadically.  Never regularly, but at a handful or so of shows.  Personally, I'd rather hear The Crane Wife 1&2, if they are gonna play one of the long ones off of The Crane Wife.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »
I love everything on The Crane Wife, but The Island is one of my favorite songs ever by anyone. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
It IS a great song, for sure.  I was just thrilled to death that they played six songs off of Picaresque at our show. :coolio

Offline TVC 15

« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
The second time I saw them live, when they toured for The Crane Wife album, they played the fuck out of The Island.  It was fantastic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
Turned this band on yesterday for the first time in a while and quickly remembered how much I love their music. :coolio

NP: Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
Have these guys been doing anything lately?  Haven't heard anything about them in ages.

Offline TVC 15

« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
The band may be on hiatus.  Last I heard, Colin was busy writing kiddie lit with art done by his wife (who also does their album covers).  I also speculate that the inactivity also has to do with Jenny Conlee getting treatment for her cancer.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2013, 07:45:10 PM »
The Tain > everything else they've ever done.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2013, 08:02:51 PM »
Just remembered I still haven't bought their latest album. What the hell is wrong with me?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »
When I heard it was more country-ish I immediately lost all desire to get it.  Yes, that's a stupid reason, but it's also my reason.  :lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2013, 08:44:53 PM »
I understand why it went that way, though. Colin's old band, Tarkio, was a straight up country band. It's how he get started. The Decemberists are basically a progressive country/folk band.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Online glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »
When I heard it was more country-ish I immediately lost all desire to get it.  Yes, that's a stupid reason, but it's also my reason.  :lol

It's still a pretty good album. You should give it a shot and maybe surprise yourself.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2013, 09:52:40 PM »
I'd say it's more folk than out and out country. It sounds like their previous stuff, with a bit of an americana thrown in. It's still pretty damn good. Check out Down By The Water, This Is Why We Fight, and Rox In The Box.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2013, 09:56:46 PM »

It's still a pretty good album. You should give it a shot and maybe surprise yourself.
Yeah I really should.

I'll have to see if it's on Spotify sometime.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »
I saw and met Colin and his wife last Fall at an in-library reading. I briefly asked about The Decemberists, and he said new music may not be that far away.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2013, 12:11:20 AM »
The band may be on hiatus.  Last I heard, Colin was busy writing kiddie lit with art done by his wife (who also does their album covers).  I also speculate that the inactivity also has to do with Jenny Conlee getting treatment for her cancer.

That is what I figured as well.

The Tain > everything else they've ever done.

The Tain is pretty sweet, but I can't call it their best song.  Or even one of their best. 

I'd say it's more folk than out and out country. It sounds like their previous stuff, with a bit of an americana thrown in. It's still pretty damn good. Check out Down By The Water, This Is Why We Fight, and Rox In The Box.

It's okay.  I get why it appeals to certain fans, but I listen to all of the other albums way more than that one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2014, 08:32:16 PM »
Looks like they have a new album coming out in January and are touring after that.  Woohoo!! :tup :tup

Online Mladen

« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2014, 04:20:55 AM »
I heard the sample. This will be good.

Online Mladen

« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
It's been two months already, huh? Did anyone else hear the new album?

I thought it was pretty good. It's sort of a continuation of the more country-esque sound that was introduced on The King is dead. Some of the songs work great, some don't. The biggest problem I have with it is that it starts off with four absolutely amazing songs, and then it just sort of continues. But I must say that Make you better has to be one of the best songs they've ever written, it's that gorgeous, particularly the chorus.  :heart

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »
I've only given the new album two listens so far, but I'm liking it. Agree that they've kept a lot of the full-on folk music, but I think they have also brought more of the soft rock back as well. Personally I love the folk stuff and The King Is Dead is actually probably my favourite of theirs, but the new one is really nice too!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2015, 04:21:51 PM »
I like the new album. There is just something about the band that keeps me from going that step from liking to loving them. I have only heard their last two albums, but I guess they both lack a bit in consistency. The new one is definitely better than the last one, but despite there being a few really good songs, there's also a few that's kinda just there. If this album was 35-40 minutes instead of 50 minutes, it could have been even better.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »
Colin Meloy did a reddit AMA earlier today.

He gives good answers! My favourite being this one:

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #209 on: January 22, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »
I like the new album. There is just something about the band that keeps me from going that step from liking to loving them. I have only heard their last two albums, but I guess they both lack a bit in consistency. The new one is definitely better than the last one, but despite there being a few really good songs, there's also a few that's kinda just there. If this album was 35-40 minutes instead of 50 minutes, it could have been even better.

their most recent 2 records to me are probably their worst 2 records (although I don't find The Hazards of Love that amazing either).

maybe try "The Island" from The Crane Wife
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjvYoGAz0Fs