Author Topic: SFAM, SDOIT, and 8va lyrics  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
SFAM, SDOIT, and 8va lyrics
« on: February 16, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »
I was thinking today about how cool it is when the different members of Dream Theater work together to tell a story through lyrics.  On Scenes From a Memory, it's really interesting to see how Mike, John, JMX, and James all focus on telling one story in their own voices.  Likewise, on Octavarium John, James, and Mike interpret the theme differently through their respective lyrics but everything comes together in a convoluted way:  John's is about a guy not liking his father and then suddenly coming to terms with him; James' is about not being able to remember who you are and trying to find out; Mike's is about tying the album's title track in with the album's theme and other tracks.  They're all different, but work together extremely well in making the song and "story" dynamic.  Everything feels really well done and fleshed out.  Same goes for disc 2 of Six Degrees, with Mike and John trading off on the ifferent "degrees."  

Whether it's a long song or a concept album, I'd like to see the DT lyricists working together on one lyrical "concept" again in the future.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:34:07 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: SFAM, SDOIT, and 8va lyrics
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
I think your take on what some of the lyrics mean is a bit off, but yes, I agree with your overall point.  (also, Take the Time)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 06:44:17 PM »
Take the Time is a great example.  Also, Caught in a Web.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
I agree, the band's lyrical collaborations have turned out some of the best material! SFAM is seen as one of their best albums, and the suites/songs of SDOIT and 8VM are also highly regarded amongst the fans.

Good mention of "Caught In A Web" and "Take The Time"... you could also mention "To Live Forever" and "Status Seeker"... well, only if you wanted to.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
I agree, the band's lyrical collaborations have turned out some of the best material! SFAM is seen as one of their best albums, and the suites/songs of SDOIT and 8VM are also highly regarded amongst the fans.
this
when it's overly dominated by like JP and MP I really tend to relatively dislike the lyrics (see SC and BCSL (and ignore Prophets of War (I actually like PoW's lyrics)))

I think when the album's length is shared by more writers the lyrics are better over all (maybe because of some effect where the talent of each is concentrated into a smaller portion of the album and is altogether better (something about quality density or something I guess I could say))
If DT XI had everyone write (except JR :P) again I'd love it. It would probably be a return to (what I feel is) the great lyricism of I&W & (most of) FII (and I don't mean that it would be a return in that everyone'd be writing I mean it would be a return in that the lyrics would be amazing)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:25:42 PM »
this
when it's overly dominated by like JP and MP I really tend to relatively dislike the lyrics (see SC and BCSL (and ignore Prophets of War (I actually like PoW's lyrics)))

Cool. Me too.