Author Topic: Images & Words vs. Octavarium -- song by song  (Read 14318 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Images & Words vs. Octavarium -- song by song
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2010, 07:17:05 AM »
I can't get over how high up on avg I walk beside you Is on the lists , all i can hear when i listen to that song is U2 with JLB on vocals
Sorry but i had to say this is the only DT song I HATE
carry on

Seems to me like most people have it suitably low on their list (unless you count anything other than very bottom as too high, which is understandable too :lol ). The U2 vibe is definitely the most off-putting aspect of the song, but that aside, it's a fairly well written straight forward pop-rock song. It's not the most original song, but it has nice melodies, and I actually quite like the bridge section and the cliche key change. It's certainly not very high up on my list of DT songs, but I can appreciate it for what it is.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »
I can't get over how high up on avg I walk beside you Is on the lists , all i can hear when i listen to that song is U2 with JLB on vocals
carry on

It's not high on my list, but it's a great live song. Did you see them in Boston in '06? They played it and it kicked ass. My whole attitide towards the song changed.

No i missed that tour But ill have to check out a live version , i keep trying to listen to that song but it just makes my jaw clinch when i do lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2010, 07:26:27 AM »
carry on

It's not high on my list, but it's a great live song. Did you see them in Boston in '06? They played it and it kicked ass. My whole attitide towards the song changed.

No i missed that tour But ill have to check out a live version , i keep trying to listen to that song but it just makes my jaw clinch when i do lol

It's really a song that comes across very well live. Similar to Just Let Me Breathe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »
Is there an acoustic version of IWBY somewhere, by chance?  That could be interesting.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2010, 10:09:57 AM »
carry on

It's really a song that comes across very well live. Similar to Just Let Me Breathe.

The live version of IWBY on Score is pretty awesome.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2010, 10:12:17 AM »
Is there an acoustic version of IWBY somewhere, by chance?  That could be interesting.
No, but I've played it on acoustic guitar.  It's OK that way, but I sincerely doubt the band ever does that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2010, 10:14:27 AM »
No, but I've played it on acoustic guitar.  It's OK that way, but I sincerely doubt the band ever does that.

How does it sound on acoustic? It seems too up-tempo to me to be played similarly on acoustic and have the same feel.

Although if you were to serenade me with it, I'm sure I wouldn't complain. :eyebrows:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »
Like I said, it was OK.  But it loses a lot.  I actually slowed it down a little and made it more mellow.  It changed the song completely, and it wasn't bad in the verses, but the chorus suffered a little.

This is the result of me spending 10 minutes on a song and then neglecting it for 5 years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.