Poll

How long set would you like them to play?

3 h
2 h 30 min
2 h

Author Topic: Evening With  (Read 6196 times)

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
Evening With
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:28:43 PM »
The guys are getting older and we know from the latest two hours that they like the shorter format. James can sing better every night since it dont take so much on his voice to sing 3 hours every other night. So the question I have is: Could you stand that they only play 2 h or 2 h 30 min? or do you want them to play the full thing, 3 hours?

I could think them to play 2 hours if they feel in better shape and can put on a better performance each night. But of course I would like them to play the full thing, its just a matter of how much they want to do it themselves. And the fans expect 3 hours so it probably what its going to be.

Offline Elsydeon

Re: Evening With
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:30:40 PM »
3 hours ofcourse

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »
Dt is one of the few bands that have the material to do it.  I love that Rush went that way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
Like I stated in the thread in the concerts/setlists forum, MP needs to be smart and only schedule 3-4 shows a week. That way they can pace themselves and James can give his all every night. So bring on the 3 hours  :metal.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »
Like I stated in the thread in the concerts/setlists forum, MP needs to be smart and only schedule 3-4 shows a week. That way they can pace themselves and James can give his all every night. So bring on the 3 hours  :metal.

Good idea  :tup Also if there's one member of DT that I can tolerate not performing to his fullest it's definitely him. When I saw them on the Scenes tour in 2000 he was still in his "returning to form" recovery period and that didn't take away from that show that much for me since the vocals are my least favorite part of DT.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »
I'd be up for 10 hours if it was physically possible for them.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 03:02:06 PM »
obviously 3 hours... who wouldnt?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 03:08:34 PM »
I picked 3 hours, but if they did 2 or 2 1/2 hours because there wouldn't be enough time for James to rest between each gig, then that would be just fine.  Hearing James spot-on > hearing the other 4 spot-on.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »
Definitely three hours.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
where is the six hour option?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 03:43:28 PM »
If people are picking 2 or 2.5 hours because "James can't handle it"... then why not make it a 3 hour set and make the other 30+ minutes instrumentals/jamming, a la extended solos/intros/outros, solo spots, etc. etc.

I refer to Live At Budokan for a GREAT amount of instrumental time that gives James a lot of time to rest between songs - "Beyond This Life" 10 minute jam, the extended intro/solo of "Hollow Years", The Instrumedley, and "Stream Of Consciousness"... all in all, that's a good 35 minutes of instrumental time w/o James on stage.

And even then, if you have solo spots (like just JR, or just JP, or just MP), that gives everyone else in the band a good 5-10 minute break, so it's not like all four instrumentalists are playing the entire night/every song.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 03:46:43 PM »
3+ hours. They shouldn't have to break from routine. And to be honest, James has never sounded better post-poisoning :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »
3 hours, of course.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »
3 hours at least a night, and playing every other day at the maximum, maybe Monday, then Wednesday, then Saturday (Play, rest, play, rest, rest, etc...) just to ensure JLB's best vocal performance.

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »
3 hours at least a night, and playing every other day at the maximum, maybe Monday, then Wednesday, then Saturday (Play, rest, play, rest, rest, etc...) just to ensure JLB's best vocal performance.

This would be ideal.  When I saw Rush on their 30th they did 3hrs of music, I think DT could handle it if they do it right.  Might tour longer than they usually do. 

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 04:49:50 PM »
If people are picking 2 or 2.5 hours because "James can't handle it"... then why not make it a 3 hour set and make the other 30+ minutes instrumentals/jamming, a la extended solos/intros/outros, solo spots, etc. etc.

I refer to Live At Budokan for a GREAT amount of instrumental time that gives James a lot of time to rest between songs - "Beyond This Life" 10 minute jam, the extended intro/solo of "Hollow Years", The Instrumedley, and "Stream Of Consciousness"... all in all, that's a good 35 minutes of instrumental time w/o James on stage.

And even then, if you have solo spots (like just JR, or just JP, or just MP), that gives everyone else in the band a good 5-10 minute break, so it's not like all four instrumentalists are playing the entire night/every song.

-Marc.

This.  I'd welcome the solo spots.  I know they aren't robots and could use a break, and it would be nice to see what they come up with individually, or maybe as a duet.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
I picked 3 hours, but if they did 2 or 2 1/2 hours because there wouldn't be enough time for James to rest between each gig, then that would be just fine.  Hearing James spot-on > hearing the other 4 spot-on.

Do you say that because he's the only one to have consistently performed shy of album-perfect whereas the other 4 might miss occasional notes but are usually near-perfect?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »
3 hours of course. And if that's too much, I'd rather they do less shows per week so JLB can recover rather than more shows of a shorter length. DT are a band with long songs, and 2 hours feels like a shorter show for them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 11:46:49 PM »
3 hour shows, 2-3 nights a week sounds fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 06:32:27 AM »
I don't even understand why 2 hours is even an option - they already do a 2 hour show with one or two opening acts! If they were to do an "Evening With" tour and only do 2 hour shows (as Queenswrëck did back at the end of 2001), I'd feel like I had been ripped off. "Evening With" implies an extended set because there are no other bands on the bill - anything less than 2.5 hours is a regular headlining show.

For the record, I voted 3 hours, and I think it's something they'll be able to do as long as the shows are properly paced, which I'm pretty confident they'll be doing on this upcoming tour.  ;)  BTW, I don't necessarily think it's JL that needs the rest as much as the other guys - I'm not saying that JL doesn't need time to recover, but the other guys need to at least as much, if not more so.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 07:03:25 AM »
Wow, talk about a landslide :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 07:29:35 AM »
3 hours (I guess counting intermission times) seems like the only acceptable answer for an Evening With show.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 07:29:47 AM »
3h, I don't mind if they take long breaks during.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
^Only if they have to pee pee or poo poo though.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »
I get so excited every time I think about how it's completely possible for DT to play Learning to Live, A Change of Seasons, A Mind Beside Itself, Octavarium, Metropolis, and The Count of Tuscany all in one night.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
I get so excited every time I think about how it's completely possible for DT to play Learning to Live, A Change of Seasons, A Mind Beside Itself, Octavarium, Metropolis, and The Count of Tuscany all in one night.

Unfortunately possible doesn't mean plausible, but I admire your enthusiasm :lol  :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 09:42:04 PM »

Unfortunately possible doesn't mean plausible, but I admire your enthusiasm :lol  :hat

even though its not plausible… WANT

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
How is it not plausible?  I could totally see them playing all the epics one night...

• DT.net Member
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 10:32:46 PM »
Plausible? Yes. Likely? aaahhh? Leaning toward no. Not out of the question by any means but to get that kinda specific setlist would probably have to be the result of DT doing some farewell tour down the line when they're hanging it up and might try to say thanks to the fans by letting them handpick the setlists for each date with an online poll of some kind.

Waits for everyone to pick this theory apart  ;D

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 07:03:47 AM »
Plausible? Yes. Likely? aaahhh? Leaning toward no. Not out of the question by any means but to get that kinda specific setlist would probably have to be the result of DT doing some farewell tour down the line when they're hanging it up and might try to say thanks to the fans by letting them handpick the setlists for each date with an online poll of some kind.

Waits for everyone to pick this theory apart  ;D

I like it. As long as they had plenty of time for rehearsals, the fan-voted setlist could work.