Author Topic: Drums of Thought DVD  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Dream Team

Drums of Thought DVD
« on: February 10, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »
Got this last week . . . anyone else have it? What are your thoughts? The commentary I felt was hit-and-miss, but I really like the isolated drum tracks because then I can really decipher what's going on during the more complicated rhythms. Also, since his back-up vocal tracks were isolated, it's pretty easy to critique them . . . some were pretty good, others were  :sadpanda:.

One of the interesting things is that you can hear him pondering the ideas that would eventually come to fruition at the Score concert. Overall, I of course continue to be very impressed with his ability to sing/twirl/etc while playing complicated parts all at the same time  :o.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Drums of Thought DVD
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
I also have this and like it a lot. I love the Commentaries and haven't bought the last few because there are none. But I definitely want to get the BC&SL one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »
Would you recommend this and/or Mike's other videos for newbie drummers?  I mean, obviously, I don't expect to be able to play anywhere near what Mike is playing on those tracks at my skill level.  But it seems to me, I can still pick up a lot of valuable things from being able to see and hear what he is doing in isolation.  Thoughts?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:50:48 PM »
Since I'm not a drummer and have no intention to start playing the drums, the only good Mike's drum DVDs would do me would be as the commentary.  In other words, I'd be buying them just to hear Mike's voice.  Which is kinda creepy.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »
Would you recommend this and/or Mike's other videos for newbie drummers?  I mean, obviously, I don't expect to be able to play anywhere near what Mike is playing on those tracks at my skill level.  But it seems to me, I can still pick up a lot of valuable things from being able to see and hear what he is doing in isolation.  Thoughts?

Not really. Mike's videos aren't really aimed at beginners. Actually, he himself admits he's not a very good instructor. There's more value in just watching what he does, and the isolated drum tracks are great for that. His instructional DVDs, like In Constant Motion and Liquid Drumming, are also more focused on performance rather than instruction but they are certainly great for expanding your horizons and realizing what is possible on a drum kit with dedicated practice. I guess in fairness I should say that he does a pretty good job of explaining odd time signatures and approach to double-bass.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »
Would you recommend this and/or Mike's other videos for newbie drummers?  I mean, obviously, I don't expect to be able to play anywhere near what Mike is playing on those tracks at my skill level.  But it seems to me, I can still pick up a lot of valuable things from being able to see and hear what he is doing in isolation.  Thoughts?

Not really. Mike's videos aren't really aimed at beginners. Actually, he himself admits he's not a very good instructor. There's more value in just watching what he does, and the isolated drum tracks are great for that. His instructional DVDs, like In Constant Motion and Liquid Drumming, are also more focused on performance rather than instruction but they are certainly great for expanding your horizons and realizing what is possible on a drum kit with dedicated practice. I guess in fairness I should say that he does a pretty good job of explaining odd time signatures and approach to double-bass.

The bolded parts are more of what I was getting at.  Would someone at a beginner level still find them useful for the things you mentioned?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »
Would you recommend this and/or Mike's other videos for newbie drummers?  I mean, obviously, I don't expect to be able to play anywhere near what Mike is playing on those tracks at my skill level.  But it seems to me, I can still pick up a lot of valuable things from being able to see and hear what he is doing in isolation.  Thoughts?

The bolded parts are more of what I was getting at.  Would someone at a beginner level still find them useful for the things you mentioned?

Absolutely!

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
Great for drummers and hardcorefans , I have watched In Constan Motion and its great even for the nondrummers.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:16:43 PM by perfey »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:53:25 PM »

Well then I guess the question is, is watching portnoy play his parts at usual speed with no instructions helpful to you?
fanticide.bandcamp.com