Author Topic: Rob Webster's Rootin' Tootin' Musical Odyssey  (Read 11001 times)

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
Re: I've kinda hit a musical wall
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
Also, get yourself The Dear Hunter and Dredg TPTPTD as soon as possible.
Also one of my favorites. Excellent record in basically every way

Offline robwebster

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2010, 07:22:08 PM »
Listening to Karnivool still, there's one point in The Caudal Lure which sounds a LOT like if Frost*'s Pocket Sun were thrown out of the evil tree, hit every branch along the way, and then Adolf Hitler came along and gave it a golden shower (just for good measure).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »
Listening to Karnivool still, there's one point in The Caudal Lure which sounds a LOT like if Frost*'s Pocket Sun were thrown out of the evil tree, hit every branch along the way, and then Adolf Hitler came along and gave it a golden shower (just for good measure).

I'm glad some of the younger DT boardmembers turned me onto this band.  I love sonic sounding bands.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline robwebster

Re: Rob Webster's Rootin' Tootin' Musical Odyssey
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2010, 12:44:12 PM »
First things first, changed the title of the thread.

Second things second, bump.

Right, now that's over and done with... muzak!

I've had some time to digest a lot of the suggestions I bought back in February, and I've bought music by a few more of the bands that were recommended. So here are my thoughts now they've settled in a bit.

Faith No More
Love them. Cheers a billion. I've got The Real Thing and Angel Dust, now, and they've both got pride of place in my CD collection. Both magical, diverse little albums, and a tad twisted - which I like. Catchy and bizarre with just a hint of darkness. Fantastic.

Karnivool
I'm quite fond of them, but I don't find myself reaching for 'em very often. Nice when I put them on, but they've got quite a lot of dense gloom - tricky to listen to and I think they've got a bit of growing to do, but like I say, I'm fond.

Reason I've bumped this though is 'cause I'm still checking it whenever I go out buying music, and Skyforger, by Amorphis arrived today. I'm just starting to listen to it now. And whoa, nelly. VERY, very good. Only up to From the Heaven of my Heart, but they're really rekindling my love of metal. I'd forgotten how good this genre was. There's just a pinch of power metal in there, but they're a lot cleverer and more creative than all that. Excellent.

So, yes! Thank you, boys and girls. Any more for any more?! Good success rate so far.

(Also, I can't remember if it was recommended in this thread, but I've just got Bigelf's last album, too. Absolutely stellar. One of those bands which makes me go "WHY did I not get into them sooner?!" Maddeningly good. Really, really like the David Bowie vibe. Incredibly theatrical, what a fun band.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »

Faith No More
Love them. Cheers a billion. I've got The Real Thing and Angel Dust, now, and they've both got pride of place in my CD collection. Both magical, diverse little albums, and a tad twisted - which I like. Catchy and bizarre with just a hint of darkness. Fantastic.

Very nice!  I love both of those albums, too.  I haven't been too crazy about anything else I have heard by FNM thus far, but those two records are both aces. :tup :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2010, 01:57:26 PM »
Angel Dust is friggin' awesome. :tup

Glad you're liking Skyforger so much as well, I knew you'd like Amorphis!

Now go and get Act III by The Dear Hunter! :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.