Author Topic: Rob Webster's Rootin' Tootin' Musical Odyssey  (Read 11000 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: I've kinda hit a musical wall
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »
'In Rainbows' is in my opinion indeed Radiohead's best album. It's flawless, not a bad song on there.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline robwebster

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 04:47:30 PM »
RIGHT. OKAY. I'm drunk, so I'm going to buy some albums now before I have second thoughts and realise that it's a very bad idea on my budget.

I'm currently thinking: Karnivool, The Dear Hunter, Brave New World, Powerslave, and Angel Dust. Everyone reckon that's a good place to start? Might drop BNW if the price is cranking up a bit.

The Decemberists are a pretty folky indie band, but on the album I suggested they go in a bit more of a prog direction without sounding dated.  Its very cool.  Mew is a very wintery-sounding band, and play around with weird arrangements a lot, so I guess experimental/alternative?  Both are very good bands/albums.
I do like wintry music! I like having music to match the seasons, really. Black Holes and Revelations is a summer album, so I won't be listening to that for a while yet. I'll check samples of both, I like both of their names, which is a very shallow reason to give priority, but I've gotta work through in some order!

Get In a Flesh Aquarium and Tightly Unwound.
I have both! Flesh is fantastic, Tightly is a little too derivative but I might listen to it a little more on your suggestion. In fact, I'll listen to it now.

The Pineapple Thief - described as a cross between Porcupine Tree and Radiohead

Nemo - dynamic hard rock, with some DT influence.  Sung in French.

As for Queen, I'd recommend the first three albums; many people seem to go for Queen II, with good reason.
Alright, that's pretty cool. I have wanted to listen to some music in foreign languages for a while - forgot what it was that got me onto the idea, but it's one I'm keen on. I don't like how English has the priority, it feels more like it belongs to a different culture if it's sung in a different language, like you've been invited into someone else's little club, and that appeals to me. :D So yes, definitely interested in Nemo!

robwebster @

1. The Bends is pretty similar to OK Computer soundwise, biggest difference i guess is that it has a bit rawer sound, but overall it's a solid rock-album.

2. Kid A is more electronic, and even though it has some characteristics from OK Computer/The Bends, the album overall is eletronic.

3. The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion by Dredg is imo their best, and the album that floats the best.
Catch Without Arms has awesome songs, but overall i think TPTPTD and El Cielo by Dredg are better, because they're more "wow-albums". (aka. albums that you wanna listen to from start to end, skipping tracks is hard)
Overall this album also has amazing production, and the sound is great.

Hopefully that cleared out some of your thoughts. :)
How is TPTPTD vocally? CWA did feel like a group of songs, rather than a consistent album, so I get what you mean. I think I would prefer The Parrot. I quite like the sound of The Bends, I might give that a little listen, next.

Is Kid A basically a mix between HTTT and OK Computer? Hail sounded kinda like the noise of a synthesiser committing suicide.

Rob, I think I know your tastes pretty well, and they've often seriously overlapped with mine in the past. Of the bands suggested in this thread so far, I'd say The Dear Hunter (Act III is my favourite album ever) and Amorphis (get any of their three albums) would be great!

Also, if you don't know it already, get After Forever's self-titled album.
Aha! Yes, I'd agree with that. You do have very good taste. And on that behalf I've decided TDH is one of the albums I'm gonna buy tonight.

What are Amorphis like? I remember 6:00 used to dig them, I think? Or 9:00 or ROH. Christ, there are a lot of cool people who disappeared. I kinda grouped those guys together and I'm sure one of them really liked them. I've got Sky is Mine on my tooter, I wouldn't like to say where I got it from (I might have a friend who was impressed by a song!) but I remember digging it. Really cool artwork, too.

Again, cheers a billion, dudes!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »
1. They're big, boisterous, rouse with spirit and exude raw power.

2. They're the most melodic heavy band in the world.

3. They write some of the catchiest choruses in metal.

4. They're not creepy.

5. Their last three albums sound very modern.

6. They care approximately 230x more about rhythm than soloing.

7. They combine folk, metal and prog.

8. Lots of variety between albums. Not as much on them.

9. No band sounds like Amorphis I've ever heard.

10. The songs are very simple so you can usually tell where they're going. Except on Elegy. Which is one of the great metal albums ever.

11. Like I said, there's lots of variety between albums, but they've always emphasized melody.

12. They're kind of cheesy.

/fanboi
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2010, 05:24:06 PM »
Haha, wow - good work! Is Skyforger a good place to start?!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2010, 05:27:45 PM »
I started with Eclipse, but Skyforger is better, IMO.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »
Perfect. I've got Sky is Mine on now, and I can definitely see myself listening to these guys.

They're a bit more power metal than I would have expected. They've got a bit of that edge. Which is good! I started out on power metal.

Currently thinking Sound Awake, Life and Death, Skyforger, Powerslave, and Angel Dust. Karnivool, Dear Hunter, Amorphis, Iron Maiden and Faith No More. That looks like a very strong haul from where I'm standing. Should I grab 'em before I sober up?

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »
1. They're big, boisterous, rouse with spirit and exude raw power.

2. They're the most melodic heavy band in the world.

3. They write some of the catchiest choruses in metal.

4. They're not creepy.

5. Their last three albums sound very modern.

6. They care approximately 230x more about rhythm than soloing.

7. They combine folk, metal and prog.

8. Lots of variety between albums. Not as much on them.

9. No band sounds like Amorphis I've ever heard.

10. The songs are very simple so you can usually tell where they're going. Except on Elegy. Which is one of the great metal albums ever.

11. Like I said, there's lots of variety between albums, but they've always emphasized melody.

12. They're kind of cheesy.

/fanboi
/the truth

And I would start with Eclipse (my favorite of them) and them move to Elegy and then Silent Waters and then Tales From Topographic Oceans and then Am Universum (for a little refreshment) and then Skyforger.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2010, 05:55:33 PM »
Rush and dredg
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
Karnivool is the way to go.  I can't get enough of the new album.  Heavy, yet melodic, spacious, and driving.  The singer has a great voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:29 PM »
I just need to add to the recommendations to Act III by The Dear Hunter. It's an amazing record.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »
You must to buy The Lost Art of Time Travel.

YOU MUST
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
No you don't.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Suggestions I second:
I'll just throw out a couple of good albums that seem to fit your tastes:

-Queen
-The Decemberists (Last 2 albums)
-Coheed & Cambria (Last 2 albums)
The Dear Hunter.
Sounds like you need some Amorphis.

For the love of God, don't bother getting any Maiden. Everything beyond the staple songs you've heard ranges from middling to crap.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 02:54:33 AM »
robwebster @

Well, vocally i think on TPTPTD Gavin doesn't have as high pitched voice compared to CWA.
I think this album has more of a variety when it comes to different type of songs.

And about Radiohead, Hail To The Thief is kinda a mix between the electronic stuff (Kid A/Amnesiac) and the rock-stuff (OK Computer/The Bends), but apart from a few songs, i think Kid A/Amnesiac are better then HTTT. :)

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 03:05:53 AM »
Circus Maximus - Isolate

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2010, 05:09:35 AM »
^^^OOOooooo Good one^^^^^

Might as well throw Pagan's Mind in there.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »

For the love of God, don't bother getting any Maiden. Everything beyond the staple songs you've heard ranges from middling to crap.
wut

The band has the most glorious back-catalogue of any metal group.

And I wouldn't recommend Pagan's Mind; they're too unoriginal, and the novelty wears off by the 4th or 5th song.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
Already got some Pagan's Mind, but Circus Maximus are one that I've still yet to check out.

Went to HMV today, and they had Karnivool and Faith No More. No Dear Hunter, though. I'll report back once I've listened.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2010, 09:19:53 AM »
RIGHT. Karnivool, first spin. I've just reached 5:00 on New Day, and I'm starting to see what the fuss is. This is a fantastic passage. Starting to "get" what these guys are about now. First two songs were "quite good", but this is getting very impressive very fast. Building up very, very well.

The vocals aren't sitting too well with me, but there's lots of cool stuff going on so I'm not too bothered about them. They'll take some getting used to, but yes. Quite optimistic so far.

I'll edit this post as I continue the album / listen to the others.

EDIT: I really like All I Know.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:33:54 AM by robwebster »

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »
Check out myrath , both albums Hope and desert call
The second album is totaly differant than the first , also second album has a new singer 

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »
Cloudscape
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline j

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
RIGHT. Karnivool, first spin. I've just reached 5:00 on New Day, and I'm starting to see what the fuss is. This is a fantastic passage. Starting to "get" what these guys are about now. First two songs were "quite good", but this is getting very impressive very fast. Building up very, very well.

The vocals aren't sitting too well with me, but there's lots of cool stuff going on so I'm not too bothered about them. They'll take some getting used to, but yes. Quite optimistic so far.

I can see how the vocals could take some getting used to, but I liked 'em okay from the outset.  What did you think of Deadman, rob?  That's definitely one of my favorite tracks from the album (the ones you named are great too).

-J

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 10:55:41 AM »
You'll probably need to order Dear Hunter from amazon or play, but you should do it right now. Unfortunately I wasn't online last night to demand that you order it while drunk! :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »
Is it REALLY bad that when I saw the name of this thread, my first thought was "Then you should change your username to 'Nickelback'".

Although I guess he'd have had to change it about what, 10 years ago?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2010, 11:50:21 AM »

I can see how the vocals could take some getting used to, but I liked 'em okay from the outset.  What did you think of Deadman, rob?  That's definitely one of my favorite tracks from the album (the ones you named are great too).

-J
I was keen, although I am a sucker for long songs! I think Karnivool will take a little getting into as the tracks don't stand out quite so much on their own, immediately, but I can see myself quite enjoying them. They're kinda like the band that I wanted Dredg to be, hahaha. There's a fair bit of Tool influence, which is a good thing imo. My curiosity is piqued.

Quote from: ariich
You'll probably need to order Dear Hunter from amazon or play, but you should do it right now. Unfortunately I wasn't online last night to demand that you order it while drunk!
You bastard!

Aha, I spent a lot of money yesterday, on clothes, CDs and drink, so I might give it a teeny while before my next spree, but TDH is gonna be the first thing I get. I don't like spending too much in one go. But given the success rate so far, I can see good things a'coming.

I'm listening to Faith No More right now, and I'm instantly loving it. I've been a fool! Why haven't I listened to more of them sooner?! I'm on Everything's Ruined and it's beautiful. The album sounds slightly retro in some ways, but also very new and exciting. ER is reminding me a bit of Images and Words in places, curiously. Not a massive way, but in general vibe and chord sounds. Wasn't expecting that.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
ALICE IN CHAINS!!!

Offline thecrowing

• DTF's Resident Child of the Fence
  • Help me Cosmia; I'm grieving!
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2010, 01:23:45 PM »
I just need to add to the recommendations to Act III by The Dear Hunter. It's an amazing record.

Offline j

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2010, 02:08:56 PM »
I was keen, although I am a sucker for long songs! I think Karnivool will take a little getting into as the tracks don't stand out quite so much on their own, immediately, but I can see myself quite enjoying them. They're kinda like the band that I wanted Dredg to be, hahaha. There's a fair bit of Tool influence, which is a good thing imo. My curiosity is piqued.

The Tool influences are definitely noticeable.  The album took me a couple listens to start fully enjoying it, but I like it a lot now (although I tend to skip Set Fire to the Hive).  Haven't been able to get into their other album as much yet, although it's not bad by any means.

Faith No More is great too, glad to see you're liking 'em.

-J

Offline robwebster

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »
ALICE IN CHAINS!!!
I really like "Would?"

This seems to be a good avenue to pursue.

Quote from: j
The Tool influences are definitely noticeable.  The album took me a couple listens to start fully enjoying it, but I like it a lot now (although I tend to skip Set Fire to the Hive).  Haven't been able to get into their other album as much yet, although it's not bad by any means.

Faith No More is great too, glad to see you're liking 'em.

-J
Ahh, I quite liked Set Fire to the Hive! Although that might just be because it has an excellent title. Give it some time.

PS i'm really FUKYING drunk. oh i need more nights like this

Offline robwebster

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »
Just got to the last track of Faith No More (went out drinking in between)...

It's a cover of Easy?!

Hahahahaha. That's fantastic. Just when I thought they'd exhausted all their supply of surprises. What a way to end an album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2010, 09:31:38 PM »
You didn't know they did a cover of Easy?! If there's any FNM song that people seem to know it's usually Easy (or Epic).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2010, 11:05:27 PM »
rob, regarding Queen, start with any of the following albums:

A Night at the Opera (even if you are sick of "Bohemian Rhapsody," the rest of the CD is killer)
Sheer Heart Attack
II
Innuendo
A Day at the Races

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2010, 11:08:18 PM »

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »
The Dear Hunter. Get Act III: Life and Death right now!

also, I'd try Act II if I were you- It has more prominent choruses I think
Both incredibly wonderful albums and I cannot stress that enough

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2010, 04:50:55 AM »
I'm very pleased about the amount of attention Karnivool are getting in this thread! They are the ONLY good band we have in Australia lol.

Also, get yourself The Dear Hunter and Dredg TPTPTD as soon as possible.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"