Author Topic: Tokyo, Japan 10/28/95 Bootleg  (Read 7382 times)

Offline juice

• om nom nom
Tokyo, Japan 10/28/95 Bootleg
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »
So I was browsing around ytse jam records and I saw Tokyo, Japan 10/28/95 and noticed the amazing looking set list.  How does this live recording compare to other DT recordings?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Tokyo, Japan 10/28/95 Bootleg
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »
It's comparable to other official bootlegs but of course the quality is inferior to regular major live releases.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
It's good.  Get it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LTE

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 03:40:02 PM »
 :tup to it

ACOS is great on it
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
Of the four live official bootlegs on there (CD sets that is), it's my 2n favorite (next to the NY bootleg). Great setlist, nice acoustic version of "Wait For Sleep" going in to Learning To Live (which, IIRC, has an extended middle section/jam).

I would get it and not look back!  :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »
Definitely shouldn't be your first choice.  Everyone's first choice should be "Dreambill," followed by either Old Bridge or the one you mentioned.  Unfortunately, aside from Dreambill, everything else features "post-accident" LaBrie.  I really hope Mike releases some more audio CDs soon.  It's a shame that both 8va and SDOIT only got DVD releases.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
Definitely shouldn't be your first choice.  Everyone's first choice should be "Dreambill," followed by either Old Bridge or the one you mentioned.  Unfortunately, aside from Dreambill, everything else features "post-accident" LaBrie.  I really hope Mike releases some more audio CDs soon.  It's a shame that both 8va and SDOIT only got DVD releases.

Not counting Score, right? I suppose so, but then again, what about a TOT tour official bootleg? Like perhaps the first show where they played the whole album straight-through.

I wouldn't mind seeing more shows from IAW and Awake tours.

I do agree, "Dreambill" should be your first choice, but Tokyo should be second. I like Old Bridge, but the setlist for Tokyo is much better (WFS/LTL! AND the complete ACOS)... but that's up to you!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 07:12:47 PM »
Yeah, outside Score.  I'll take a show from any era.  Someone once told me on here that there's a way you can rip the audio the Santiago and Bucharest DVDs to listen to in a media player, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
Yeah, outside Score.  I'll take a show from any era.  Someone once told me on here that there's a way you can rip the audio the Santiago and Bucharest DVDs to listen to in a media player, but I can't figure out how to do it.

There's a few good programs out there, but very few are free or share-ware. I've done this with a couple official Yes live dvds (Songs From Tsongas is really good), as well as Neal Morse's Testimony Live and Sola Scriptura & Beyond.

The problem is getting a good DVD with great sound... unless you're so into the tech that you can remix the audio from a DVD-rip and make it sound a bit better (if it's not great already).

-Marc.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 10:15:11 PM »
what about a TOT tour official bootleg? Like perhaps the first show where they played the whole album straight-through.

That first show of the ToT tour will NEVER get released as an official bootleg because of the rough performance by the band. In fact, MP has requested that audience bootlegs of that show also not be distributed.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 10:32:45 PM »
what about a TOT tour official bootleg? Like perhaps the first show where they played the whole album straight-through.

That first show of the ToT tour will NEVER get released as an official bootleg because of the rough performance by the band. In fact, MP has requested that audience bootlegs of that show also not be distributed.

I was afraid of that... oh well. Oddly enough, on that tour, they also played another album in it's entirety once and only once, straight through... WDADU. Fortunately that was a great sounding show and was released! IIRC, the other albums they've played straight through have been done more than once (IAW, SFAM and 8VM)... and all relatively recently (didn't they play SFAM in South America on the 8VM Tour?).

A shame, though... I think hearing TOT all the way through live would be great! Maybe someday DT will pull a Neverender-style concert-festival and pull a multi-night stand somewhere (of course NY would be the prime candidate) and play some of their albums in their entirety...

-Marc.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »

If someone knows how to do this, and it is legal to post, please tell us how.  My iPod is my main method of listening.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 03:18:26 AM »
So I was browsing around ytse jam records and I saw Tokyo, Japan 10/28/95 and noticed the amazing looking set list.  How does this live recording compare to other DT recordings?
Great bootleg, worth alone for the magnificent Instrumedley.  :metal Get it.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 03:33:04 AM »

If someone knows how to do this, and it is legal to post, please tell us how.  My iPod is my main method of listening.

I believe SUPER can do this, and it's free!

https://erightsoft.podzone.net/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

I think you have to rip the DVD into separate track files, (i.e for Score [not that you should do it with score because the CD is available to buy], rip it so that there is a video file containing TROAE and another with IWBY etc.) Then load these into SUPER, and select the audio format from the drop down list (for example "mp3 (audio only))

And there you go!

Thanks
Matt

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »

If someone knows how to do this, and it is legal to post, please tell us how.  My iPod is my main method of listening.

It would NOT be legal to post the audio. You may discuss ways of ripping DVD audio for your own private use, but you may NOT then share the audio.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »
Haven't heard it. Will Search it on Youtube, though. :tup

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 12:42:22 PM »
My favorite-live recording by DT actually, i just love it. :)
Great mix of songs, setlist rocks.

Offline pietro123

• The Silent Man
  • |eruditio.vivo|
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 01:37:56 PM »
What bootleg is the dreambill one? Might check it out.
Through Nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 02:22:16 PM »

3/4/93 New York City
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »

3/4/93 New York City
IT IS THE BEST THEM
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 02:05:14 PM »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:32:31 AM by Setlist Scotty »

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
It's incredibly frustrating to only want some songs off of Dreambill with no way of getting just parts of it. Oh well, guess I'll cave and get it all soon.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
It's incredibly frustrating to only want some songs off of Dreambill with no way of getting just parts of it. Oh well, guess I'll cave and get it all soon.
You want it all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 04:08:56 PM »
But he can't have it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
 :lol

The only bad consequence of getting Dreambill before the other bootlegs is that it gives you unrealistic expectations about the other shows in the live series.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »
That scream from "The Killing Hand" just makes that show. I was surprised that When Dream and James Unite doesn't have the scream!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 09:01:52 PM »
too bad you can.'t hear the audience during take the time
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »

If someone knows how to do this, and it is legal to post, please tell us how.  My iPod is my main method of listening.

It would NOT be legal to post the audio. You may discuss ways of ripping DVD audio for your own private use, but you may NOT then share the audio.

Don't worry about that, I have no intentions of posting it.  I just use my iPod about 8-10 hours a day, whereas I rarely get around to watching DVDs.