Author Topic: How did you get into DT?  (Read 28179 times)

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
Re: How did you get into DT?
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »
 The first DT song I heard was Voices (it was probably in my dad's car). I can't remember whether it was in (pre-)1997 or (after)1999. I remember being particulary fond of the guitar solo and ordering my dad to rewind whenever the solo ended). At that time I was a little kid about to go to school (if it was in 1999 or afterwards then I was already going to school) and probably either way I wasn't ready to take on the glory of DT.
 Solitary Shell clicked on me (I didn't know the title that time) when I was 12 or 13 (2004-2005). I began appreciating DT when I was 15. The first album was SFAM (well technically Scenes From NY dvd). I was trying to find Solitary Shell and I thought that Overture 1928 and Strange Deja Vu resembled it. But in the process I began to like SFAM and I went on to listen to it like a madman and unfortunately over listened it. Afterwards I discovered Images and Words and this has stayed my favourite album just because every song on the disc is at least worth listening not to mention that most of them are pure orgasm (LTL F# and the solo afterwards is the best moment in DT history in my humble opinion).
I haven't bought FII or any bootlegs yet as they are really difficult to find here in Estonia. So I'm listening to the bootlegs from Youtube
and I have got some via torrents I admit it.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »
Buddy of mine in 95. told me about them..then took me to the Record store to buy Awake.  From 6:00 on I was astonished...then converted.. :metal

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »
Freshman in high school, 2006, some seniors wore shirts for this mysteriously intriguing band called Dream Theater, and the shirts were pretty kickass (Octavrium, SFAM, Awake, like that) and they were listening to them constantly. I was really interested and a little while later I got my first DT album, Octavarium.  :laugh:
I just had this feeling, when I was first discovering them, that there was this sortof mystical epic-ness force surrounding them. Technically the first song of theirs I ever heard was Sacraficed Sons (Live) from their myspace. That intro just made me feel something.

Offline lutima

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2009, 01:56:58 AM »
Saw them on MTV with Take The Time...saw and heard James and Mike and got hooked immediately  :tup
They have been part of my life since then every single day  :-*

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2009, 08:54:59 AM »
Just under 2 years ago I was in HMV looking for some new music to get into, I'd heard of DT before but never actually taken the time (no pun intended  ::)) to have a listen to them, so I figured I'd buy one of their albums, Systematic Chaos, and I instanty fell in love with them.

Within 2 weeks I'd bought every album XD

Offline the-glass-prison

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Pull Me Under video on MTV. JLB wearing his Napalm Death shirt. 1st time I heard that song I was hooked.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
Read on Iron Maiden's wikipedia page that a band called DT did a concert where they played the entire Number of the Beast so I downloaded it and fell in love with DT.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2009, 12:43:14 PM »
I got into Liquid Tension Experiment first thanks to internet radio, but I never did any research on the band to know anything about Dream Theater. The first Dream Theater song I heard was The Glass Prison. I've only been a fan for 3 or 4 years

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2009, 12:51:44 PM »
Back in 1994 I was playing with the Dixie Dregs, and the band approached me asking if I was interested in becoming a member of the band. Unfortunately although I liked the band, I had obligations to the Dregs, so I had to turn them down, although I did help them out by playing one show with them in the fall of that year. Fast forward to 1998, Mike Portnoy calls me up and tells me he is forming an instrumental super group. At the time John Petrucci wasn't to be involved, but he ended up being the guitarist and through two albums and a few gigs I formed a solid musical cohesion with the pair. This was all around the time that my time with the Dregs was coming to an end, so after recording the 2nd LTE album, I was once again asked to join and I accepted.

That's how I got into Dream Theater.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
My first boyfriend put on some of his music in my stereo while we were cuddling. It was Octavarium (but I didn't know that at the time). I didn't listen much, but suddenly I heard this awesome riff. The song continued just as good and I just loved it! I asked my boyfriend about the name of the song, he said Panic Attack. I listened to it for a while, then got bored.

Half a year later, I was talking to some friends about music and different bands we liked. One of them said "Dream Theater are fucking awesome. Just listen to this song. I don't get how they can play it, it doesn't even have a beat!" The name of the song was The Dance of Eternity. I listened to it for a while, then got bored.

More than a year after that, I found those two songs in my computer. I listened to them again and thought "Hell... why didn't I ever listen to them more than this?" I got all the albums and started to listen. Within four months of intense listening, I admitted them as my favourite band. I knew this was the case when I couldn't stop talking about them and I longed for listening to them while I listened to other bands.

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
I got into after looking for more bands with a similliar vibe to Rush, Maiden etc.  First album was TOT sometime in 2006.  However I do have a memory of hearing an advertisement on the radio the last time when DT came to my hometown of Spokane Washington (maybe the only time as far as i know).  Thought the band name was awesome, but wasn't really into music back then at all.  Later after ive been into the band I found out that the show i had heard about was where they played with Queensryche and they did a cover of comfortably numb with them.  I sooo regret not going to that show!  :facepalm:

Offline G00dnightkissxx

• I know it's hurting you, but it's killing me.
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »
I'm probably a noob compared to all of you guys, but I've learned to love this band so much. About 2 years ago my boyfriend showed me how sick the drums were for Honor Thy Father, and the he gave me the track for my iTunes. After that I went youtubing and discovered their talent and fell in love with the band
I'll be with you here until the end.

Silly Spongebob

Last.Fm

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »
heard the glass prison in my friend's dad's car when he was driving us to the movies

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2009, 02:44:25 PM »
Nearly 5 year ago I was working in a guitar shop with a guy who was heavily into dream theater back in the day but had fallen out of touch with them lately. I was a huge muse fangirl and went on about them a bit, and he said something like 'if you think that's amazing music you should try a band called dream theater' and played some stuff on the guitar for me (mainly the instrumental middly bit from metropolis part 1). I went out and got train of thought (first I saw) and wasn't hugely impressed. I must have liked it somewhat though, because I remember the exact point it clicked, I was on the bus home from work at the roundabout near my old house, when stream of consciousness sorta fell into place and I realised how incredible it was. The next morning walking back from a friend's house, this dying soul sorta clicked. From that point onwards I got hold of everything and realised that I'd been missing out on the best band I'd ever (and still have ever) heard.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Dunns Beard

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »
Heard The Glass Prison on the radio when 6 Degrees was released at beginning of 02 I think. It was on Totalrock back when it was on Sky Digital Radio on the Badger's Nadgers show. Being a huge Metallica fan I thought that it was awesome music with great musicianship and intelligent writing. He said that it was from a two disc album with one song being 42 minutes and I thought, I have to get this. It actually took me till the summer to buy my first albums coz I couldn't find their cds anywhere (I think that was when they were about at their least popular). I got Live at the Marquee and Awake. Bombay Vindaloo was my favourite song for quite some time actually.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honour of a critic."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2009, 03:20:36 PM »
In 2006 I was about 15 and started to get into prog, so I heard of Dream Theater just before Score was released.

The first album I had was Scenes From a Memory, then Awake. The first song that got me to listen to them a bit more often was Through Her Eyes, and then the proghead in me was born when I heard Beyond This Life.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »
My RA freshman year of college was a guitarist and a moderate DT fan.  He used to show me video clips of G3 with Petrucci and rave about him.  Then one day he had this CD called Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence by Dream Theater.  I thought those were both awesome names.  He played me Solitary Shell and I thought it was kinda cool, although the lead singer's voice was a bit unusual. 

So I have this friend who used to download a whole bunch of music for me, and I asked him to look into Dream Theater for me and see if they had anything good.  The next day he sent me The Glass Prison, Honor Thy Father, As I Am, Home, Fatal Tragedy, and Learning to Live. 

We found out on Wikipedia that this band's latest CD, Octavarium,  had come out a few months ago, and so he started downloading stuff from Octavarium.  (Although, later, I discovered that he'd only succeeded in downloading half of Elements of Persuasion.)  Anyway, we were hooked by the "new DT stuff," and after poking around on wikipedia, I decided my best bet would be SFAM because the concept sounded cool and Home and Fatal Tragedy were two of my favorites so far.  So I ordered it.

When it came, I popped it in and gave it a listen while playing Starcraft.  That was a fantastic experience.  I was absolutely blown away.  And I began snapping up all the other DT stuff I could find.

Offline JRT

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »
I found out 2 1/2 years ago through Adam02's spoof. I eventually googled to find out if JP was a real guitarist and I fell in love with DT's music.

Offline syron0615

• P-Sy.
  • "Buy A Pen"
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2009, 09:32:17 PM »
My best friend has this habit of showing me a band where he knows 1-3 songs...
then i start listening...and become a huge fan! ;D

He showed me Constant Motion in early 08'. It seemed cool, but it thought it seemed sort of un original on the 1st listen.  I then picked it up at my favorite music store as just a "what the F" type of thing...

I liked the 1st 4 songs a lot, but I wasn't a major fan. And later on, I saw greatest hit at circuit city, only a week out, for $15! I listened to disc 1 the most and became a semi fan.

About a month later, I was at my favorite music store again. I realized they had every DT album in stock. I had this strange feeling that I would really like them more, so as another "what the F" thing, I got the entire studio collection including ACOS. I spent $150! Over a week pay for me!!!

I listened to each album a ton. And since then... :hefdaddy
\"I Argue With The Clowns Stealing Beauty From My Arse\"

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2009, 09:46:49 PM »
A friend of mine lent me Awake and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.  I listened to them maybe two times and didn't put it in my CD player again until perhaps a month or two later.  At that point, I kept playing it for background music, and started listening to it more and more.  I eventually had enough interest to get other albums of theirs, one at a time.  Next thing I know, I was listening to them almost exclusively for over a year.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2009, 09:47:58 PM »
so as another "what the F" thing, I got the entire studio collection including ACOS

I wish I could have moments like that  :laugh:

on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »
so as another "what the F" thing, I got the entire studio collection including ACOS

I wish I could have moments like that  :laugh:

I just wish those moments for me would be that reliable.  :P

beginningofthend

« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2009, 05:04:42 AM »
at first one of my friends sended me acos song.i started to listen it.it was kinda cool(as you think i couldnt finish listening whole song:D).i was blown away because they can play a 23 minutes a song and its really melodic,progresive and they were really cool:D,you dont get bored or something. after listening sc i really liked their music and started to listen.this is it:)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2009, 05:06:11 AM »
at first one of my friends sended me acos song.i started to listen it.it was kinda cool(as you think i couldnt finish listening whole song:D).i was blown away because they can play a 23 minutes a song and its really melodic,progresive and they were really cool:D,you dont get bored or something. after listening sc i really liked their music and started to listen.this is it:)

Great, welcome to the forum!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2009, 05:08:28 AM »
Birth - School - Dream Theater - Death (?)

That's basically it   :P

Steve

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2009, 07:31:55 AM »
Someone left the lid open so I hoped in. It smells like fish and feet in here. Lysol please.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline dreamstate20

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2009, 08:01:43 AM »
My uncle showed me DT, Another Day was the first one I heard as that was the one he showed me first, now I have all of their albums

Offline icon_bleed

• a song ago
  • the sky, the sea and stup me
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »
we kinda have of siesta time from school

when this a friend of mime (playing for a band) played this Images and Words on a cassette tape :o

it manages to play the whole hour of our break...

the thing is... this is different...

a plumber always sees a reject outfall come out to the sea....

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
My immediate answer to this thread was 'Vaseline'.

But the true answer is 'searching for "drum solo" on kazaa a good few years back, hearing Mike Portnoy, and deciding to check them out'

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2009, 12:52:38 PM »
kazaa

Whoa.  There's something I haven't even thought about in years.   :o

Offline Glass_Prison

« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
It was a couple of years ago, I was in my guitar class in high school and my teacher tells us about them, and lets us hear a solo, and it blew me away. To this day I don't remember what the song was he played for us.

Afterwards, I was talking to an old friend about them and he sent me Home. The first two minutes helped spur an obsession!

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »
A little long, but if you want just start at the second paragraph.  :biggrin:

For me personally, music has always been a part of my life. Apparently while in my mothers womb, she would sing to me constantly (my mother sang as a member of the NY Met for about 4 years before I was born), and my entire family used to have sing alongs ALLL the time. There were two passions I held as a child. One was drumming. The other was singing. I was a much better singer than a drummer though and sang my first solo at the age of 5 to an auditorium full of parents at a school concert. For the record I sang "Rocky Top". By the conclusion the parents were clapping to the beat so hard that I couldn't hear my own voice, which I recall really pissed me off.  The experience didn't deter me, and I  continued to sing at every chance. I sang in chorus all through elementary school, and even sang part of an old jingle on a local commercial when I was eight. I was paid the princely sum of $250.00. For the next 4 years I used to think I still had 250 dollars in the bank somewhere.  :biggrin: I had some pretty good pipes at an early age, and I sang in chorus all the way through high school, and was in our Mens Chorus as well. During my sophomore year of high school I sang in a local band called Bell Jar. Since I was so young, I had to have my mom chaperone me at clubs when we played out on the weekends. We had moderate success as a local band, culminating in our being one of the featured bands appearing on a local radio stations album (two years running), of local bands original songs. I recall our guitarist Greg telling me how close we were to getting signed and being famous (it's amazing how many musicians still think signing a record deal means you've made it to the pinnacle), and how I should say to hell with my football scholarship and not go to college.  :\
Because of college football, I was too busy to sing in a band full time, but I did sing here and there through college and then grad and law school.

In the early 90's I sang in a band called Snooze Button Trivia, and one of the songs we played was Lay it on the Line by Triumph. I always had a pretty good range. My vocal range was everything from a tenor to a baritone and I once had a voice coach tell me it was more of what she called a "tenortone". At various times I've been told I sound like various people (all vocalists experience this pretty regularly, especially if you do covers). I used to be able to (and still can sometimes) conjur up Don Henley so well, you'd think he was in the room. I have been asked more than once to join various Eagles tribute bands. I could also do a pretty decent Steve Perry too. I had a very strong head voice and could mix a falsetto in pretty well.

Anyway, we had just done "Lay it on the Line", and had finished our set when this really tiny anorexic looking chick walked up to me on my way to take a whiz and say "You sound more like the guy from Dream Theater than you do Rik Emmett." My first thought was WTF? I could nail those parts pretty well. In fact I felt that Emmett would have been proud of my pipes with his music. Instead of rolling my eyes I said "Dream who?"  She then asks me "Have you heard that new song called "Pull Me Under?" I answered "No", and a guy standing nearby said, "Dude, that song is out there! I mean it's awesome though. You do sound a little like that guy so you should check it out."

I did. Needless to say our band didn't have the chops to pull off a DT cover. Not properly anyway.  :biggrin: And I think my voice has the same power as JL, but no longer quite the range as I used too.  :biggrin: But from the first listen I've been hooked. They still never cease to amaze me. Clearly my second favorite band.

The last band I sang in was called Tempus Fugit, and DT's music was a huge inspiration to the entire band.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 03:28:49 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2009, 05:00:02 AM »

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2009, 08:13:27 AM »
i was getting into metal 4 yrs ago an d my uncle burned me the cds

that how i got into most of the  music i listen to

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2009, 10:03:48 AM »
well my school did a winter percussion show in 2008 on Scenes and i was really interested in this band and wanted to check out their music. the first song i really got into was As I Am from watching the video of Mike playing it in the studio and that sealed the deal for me. i've been a fan ever since.
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes