Author Topic: Dexter (TV Series)  (Read 69991 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Dexter (TV Series)
« Reply #490 on: August 28, 2014, 06:40:47 AM »
Ranking Time!

Season 1
Season 2
Season 4/Season 5
Season 3
Season 6
Season 7
Season 8

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #491 on: August 28, 2014, 07:11:28 AM »
Season 4
Season 2
Season 1
Season 3
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
Season 8

It was only after quite a few watches I ended up rating Season 4 above my old favourite Season 2... the BHB / Doakes part is the best storyline in the show but Lila is one of the worst, so I couldn't keep ignoring such a huge part of the season.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #492 on: August 28, 2014, 07:17:19 AM »
1 > 4 > 2 >>> 7 > 3 >>> 5 > 6 > 8

1 , 2, and 4 and the only ones I really liked. 3 and 7 were okay. 5, 6, and 8 I didn't like at all.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #493 on: August 28, 2014, 07:27:02 AM »
You only put season 2 so high because Lila was running around naked most of the time  ;D Annoying she might be, but she wasn't hard on the eyes.

Or maybe you just like the bay harbour butcher storyline, that's ok too.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #494 on: December 31, 2014, 04:57:42 AM »
Having caught some of these on the marathon on cable TV this week, they should have wrapped this up after five seasons.  Give how Rita sorta humanized Dexter, they should have followed up 4 by having him realize that he can't kill anymore, while at the same time Quinn does actually figured out that he was Kyle Butler, resulting in the reveal to everyone about what kind of person Dexter really was, and the series ends with everything crashing around Dexter.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #495 on: January 03, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »
That would've ended the show perfectly but it's a shame when networks don't know when to kill their top shows in their prime and let them stew into shit for several years later out of desperation for ratings.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #496 on: January 03, 2015, 01:43:13 PM »
I didn't even dislike the final couple seasons that much, but the ending was absolutely dreadful.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #497 on: January 03, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »
I fucking hated it! The retconning of Dexter's "origin", the stupidity of Dexter while "stalking" the other killer, that fucking doctor, everything about the final episode!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #498 on: January 03, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »
Too bad no one here seems to have read any of the books.

I would like to be able to have someone to discuss the differences with.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #499 on: January 03, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »
I actually thought Season 7 was pretty good, even though some of the writing was very clumsy and lazy. 

8 was just very uninteresting.  The whole Vogel thing was supremely uninteresting. 

Having said that, I though the final episode wasn't that bad.  Had they left the final scene out, and it had ended with Hannah and Harrison going to get ice cream with Dexter really having died, I could have lived with that, but the whole faking his death thing was just dumb.

Speaking of Hannah, the actress that played her is drop dead gorgeous.  And I know that phrase gets overused, in this day and age of the internet, but she is hands down one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen on TV or in film. :blush

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #500 on: January 03, 2015, 10:09:23 PM »
Yeah, she's insanely hot. By far the best addition to the show ever from a visual perspective.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #501 on: January 03, 2015, 11:13:29 PM »
Speaking of Hannah, the actress that played her is drop dead gorgeous.  And I know that phrase gets overused, in this day and age of the internet, but she is hands down one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen on TV or in film. :blush

did you watch Chuck on NBC?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #502 on: January 04, 2015, 06:47:00 AM »
No, why?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #503 on: January 04, 2015, 06:49:45 AM »
Yeah she was hot, but was she a good choice to raise Harrison? Considering that Jaime was already playing the mother role for several seasons, it's hard for me to believe that she wouldn't have been able to continue doing so. Speaking of which, not only did Dexter become a worse killer as time went on, but he was also getting worse as a father, worker and, of course, brother.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #504 on: January 04, 2015, 07:10:03 AM »
Right, the last thing Dexter said in his voiceover was that he had to protect Hannah and Harrison from himself, but I am not sure how faking your own death and letting your son be raised by a serial poisoner is really protecting him. :lol :lol  Granted, at that point, Dexter obviously thought that anybody would be better than him, given how he, in his own words, destroys everyone he loves, but still.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #505 on: January 04, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
A serial poisoner being actively sought out by the authorities, yeah Harrison is gonna be just find with her!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #506 on: January 04, 2015, 10:52:40 PM »
Consider this:

Dexter was in love with Hannah, which was probably the first time he had fallen for anyone that completely.

So therefore he was probably so blinded by the feeling, he was making really stupid decisions, like thinking he could trust her.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #507 on: May 16, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
Bump.

Just started watching it on Netflix, through season two as of now. Enjoying it thoroughly.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #508 on: May 17, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
Yeah, it's an excellent show  :tup I actually just watched Six Feet Under recently and Michael C. Hall is superb in that too. It reminded me that I need to watch Dexter again eventually.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #509 on: May 17, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »
I was rewatching Dexter earlier this year actually, but I only made it three episodes into season eight and haven't gone back to it yet. :lol

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #510 on: June 12, 2015, 04:53:12 AM »
I enjoyed Dexter but I don't think I'm rewatching it, except maybe the first season someday.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #511 on: July 08, 2015, 10:51:59 AM »
Xanthul, if you are going to watch one season, I'd recommend season 4, with John Lithgow as the antagonist.  He was absolutely awesome the entire season (the best of any of the antagonists), and I loved the plot twist at the end, mainly because I couldn't stand that particular character.  I can see watching season 1 if you want to get a general understanding of the characters, though.

Yvonne Strahovsky is the actress that played Hannah.  She was on Chuck and was also a regular on 24: Die Another Day, after her Dexter run.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #512 on: July 08, 2015, 04:46:25 PM »
Lithgow was definitely awesome, and Season 4 was great, but the first two seasons are still the tops.  The Dexter/Doakes feud was always the best part about the show, and once that was over, they lost that little extra something.  It didn't help that the character who was basically Doakes' replacement, Quinn, was almost always thoroughly uninteresting.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #513 on: July 09, 2015, 02:10:20 AM »
Xanthul, if you are going to watch one season, I'd recommend season 4, with John Lithgow as the antagonist.  He was absolutely awesome the entire season (the best of any of the antagonists), and I loved the plot twist at the end, mainly because I couldn't stand that particular character.  I can see watching season 1 if you want to get a general understanding of the characters, though.

Yvonne Strahovsky is the actress that played Hannah.  She was on Chuck and was also a regular on 24: Die Another Day, after her Dexter run.

I was talking about rewatching, I already watched the whole series. If I had to watch it again I would probably watch just the first or 1 + 2 + 4 and leave it at that.

Lithgow was definitely awesome, and Season 4 was great, but the first two seasons are still the tops.  The Dexter/Doakes feud was always the best part about the show, and once that was over, they lost that little extra something.  It didn't help that the character who was basically Doakes' replacement, Quinn, was almost always thoroughly uninteresting.

Without entering in particular seasons ranking I'd probably say:

Great: 1, 2, 4
Passable: 5 (I didn't hate Lumen as much as most seem to hate her)
Bad: 3, 6, 7, 8

I'm tempted to put 7 in the passable category just for the raw power of Ray Stevenson but the whole Debrah/Laguerta thing pissed me off too much.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #514 on: July 10, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
My seasonal ranking:

1.  Season 4
2.  Season 1
3.  Season 2
4.  Season 3
5.  Season 5
6.  Season 7
7.  Season 6
8.  Season 8

My nemesis ranking:

1.  Arthur Mitchell (Season 4)
2.  The Ice Truck Murderer (Season 1)
3.  James Doakes (Season 2)
4.  Lila Tournay (Season 2)
5.  Isaak Sirko (Season 7)
6.  Maria La Guerta (Season 7)
7.  Miguel Prado (Season 3)
8.  Jordan Chase (Season 5)
9.  Travis Marshall (Season 6)
10.  Jacob Elway (Season 8)
11.  The Skinner (Season 3)

As you can see, the caliber of the antagonist pretty much matches up with the quality of the season, with the exceptions of a few.  Some years have more than 1 antagonist, or the one that you think is the antagonist turns out to be the lesser threat (Season 7).  The only reason I rated the Skinner so low is because he's the serial killer I remember the least about.  Although I rank Isaak and La Guerta highly on the list of adversaries, the season as a whole I wasn't crazy about, although it is subject to change if I ever rewatch it.

Although I agree with KevShmev that something was missing after the Doakes/Dexter storyline was over, I always felt Quinn was too much of a buffoon to be a real threat to Dexter.  When La Guerta began closing in on him in Season 7, much of that threat was restored.

Upon further review:
5.  Season 7
6.  Season 5

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #515 on: July 10, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
I agree about the Skinner, but I viewed him as the secondary antagonist of Season 3, behind Miguel.  Even the S3 finale, after Miguel was dead, was more about the aftermath of his death, with the Dexter/Skinner confrontation near the end a mere afterthought.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #516 on: July 10, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »
Am I the only one that loves season 3?  Miguel Prado, his relationship with Dexter, and Jimmy Smits's acting knocked that fucking season out of the goddamn park.  Season 3 is my favorite.  When I forced my girlfriend to watch the show with me, I told her if she wanted to give up on it, she could...but only after we finished season 3.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #517 on: July 10, 2015, 10:14:09 PM »
I like Season 3, but I don't love it.  Like has been said before, the Skinner was a weak secondary antagonist, and while I agree that Smits did a great job, the Dexter/Miguel storyline was fairly predictable. Plenty of great moments in S3, and again, I do like it, but it just cannot compare to 1, 2 or 4.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #518 on: July 11, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »
I mean, the first season definitely had the tightest writing, considering it was basically a televised version of the novel.  I thought the ending to season two was a little forced and I didn't like the way Doakes went.  Season four was great, but I didn't find Trinity and his relationship with Dexter nearly as fascinating as Miguel. 

I dunno, you're right about the Dexter/Miguel storyline being predictable.  I knew they were destined to become enemies, but I still cheered for their friendship and when the inevitably turned against each other it was so much better than I'd expected.

But hey, fuck season 8, right?  We can agree on that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #519 on: July 11, 2015, 02:43:31 PM »
For the most part, yes.  I couldn't have cared less about Dr. Vogel and that storyline.  On the other hand, getting to look at Yvonne Strahovski a lot sure was nice. :coolio

I thought the way Doakes exited was very clever. They managed to kill him off without Dexter being the one who directly killed him, and it helped wrap up Lila's arc as well.  Again, I hated to see Doakes go, but once he figured out who Dexter really was, followed by Dexter imprisoning him, you knew he was going to go; it was just a matter of when and how.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »
I just re watched the entire series....I needed a long break after the disappointing ending.....I don't know what I would have liked to replace it...
Interesting to see if they have closed the chapter on Dexter forever or whether in ten years we see a follow up.

Ranking
1. S4 
2. S3
3. S1
4. S5
5. S6
6. S2
7. S8
8. S7
Season 2 would have been higher if Lila wasn't in it, Doakes onto Dexter was great...
Season 7 with Deb in love with Dexter was too hard to watch, thank god nothing eventuated between them.

I think the ranking has more to do with the supporting cast. Overall this was a great series with great writing, great acting.
Season 1 really was watching thinking who else from the tv show OZ is going to turn up.....

Offline mrrct

« Reply #521 on: July 14, 2015, 10:22:30 PM »
Thank you, lucky7, for reminding me about how Deb was in love with Dexter in season 7.  I had completely forgotten about that.  That's why I ranked it lower than season 5 initially, despite the fact that Sierko was an entertaining (albeit a red herring) nemesis.  I think the fact that Captain La Guerta was closing in on both Dexter and Deb and the fantastic ending that season helped make me forget about the lackluster Dexter-Deb storyline.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #522 on: December 30, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »
Having rewatched quite a bit of Dexter in the last week, thanks to the marathon of it on Showtime, I just have to say how maddening it is how they lept forward 6 months ago in between the end of S7 and the beginning of S8.  The immediate aftermath of LaGuerto's death should have been seen on-screen by the viewers.  The whole Vogel/Brain Surgeon storyline in S8 should have been chucked, and the focus been Deb's life post-murder of LaGuerto and LaGuerto's murder leading others to believe that maybe, just maybe, she was on to something about Dexter.  The show deserved a better last season.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #523 on: December 31, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »
The whole dumping Deb in the ocean never made sense

I too just rewatched it on Showtime and the entire last two seasons were just awful. I'm in the minority of liking Season 6 though
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #524 on: December 31, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »
I do think the end of S6 was one of his best kill scenes ever (and not because Deb walked in on him), when he killed Travis.  Michael C. Hall's delivery was always amazing and he absolutely kills it in that scene (no pun intended).