Author Topic: Dexter (TV Series)  (Read 69994 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Dexter (TV Series)
« Reply #420 on: December 18, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
Yeah, I saw that interview and it was a fantastic idea because when she ran towards her it really sold the moment IMO.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: December 18, 2012, 06:15:37 PM »
Yeah, I saw that interview and it was a fantastic idea because when she ran towards her it really sold the moment IMO.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
That was insane. This was by far the best season since 4, and maybe even as good as 2. I'm really excited to see what they can do with it from here and how they wrap things up.

Also, why all the hate for Hannah? She's awesome.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2012, 08:25:14 PM »
All I know is the flashbacks in the finale made me want to rewatch season 2. :heart Doakes
Photobucket sucks.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #424 on: December 20, 2012, 09:43:38 PM »
I'm trying to find a proper link to it, but I read on Dexter Daily that season 8 is going to premiere this summer at some point instead of waiting for the fall. Executive Producer Scott Buck mentioned it in an interview
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #425 on: December 20, 2012, 09:46:06 PM »
Finally caught up with everything. After a dip in the middle, this season really got it's shit together in the last 4-5 episodes.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #426 on: December 21, 2012, 02:06:09 AM »
I'm trying to find a proper link to it, but I read on Dexter Daily that season 8 is going to premiere this summer at some point instead of waiting for the fall. Executive Producer Scott Buck mentioned it in an interview
I wonder why. Maybe that could hint at a longer season?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #427 on: December 21, 2012, 03:21:11 AM »
I really liked the last season, with Doakes being the highlight. He's one of the funniest characters EVER! :lol

I'm really excited to see where all of this is going.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #428 on: December 21, 2012, 10:14:55 PM »
I wonder why. Maybe that could hint at a longer season?
I think that's probably a good reason. And Showtime really is trying to ride this one-two punch of Dexter and Homeland for awhile. In the same interview, they aren't even calling it the last season anymore, just that it's up to Showtime whether there are more seasons.

Another annoying thing that I've read from the producer is that Quinn dating Jaime is going to put Quinn back in Dex's domain.

https://www.dexterdaily.com/2012/12/scott-buck-dishes-on-debs-feelings-for.html#more
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #429 on: December 21, 2012, 10:29:29 PM »
I really hope Showtime doesn't milk this until it dies. The resurgence in quality is great, so let the writers end it how they want to and leave people feeling confident in Showtime's ability to not suck all the life out of its shows.

Seriously, how could anyone forgive them if season 8 knocks it completely out of the park, and Showtime orders a ninth season that sucks massive ass?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #430 on: December 21, 2012, 10:30:27 PM »
From what I've read (no sorry, don't have a link) Showtime wants them to do a 9th season but the writers are saying no.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #431 on: December 21, 2012, 10:47:11 PM »
You'd be correct, Adami.

Man, I really hope that Showtime just lets this be the final season. Season 7 ended in a perfect way to set up the end
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #432 on: January 13, 2013, 01:09:51 AM »
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #433 on: January 13, 2013, 01:45:55 AM »
Cool.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #434 on: January 13, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
Why so early?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: January 13, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »
Why so early?

Answer is in the previous article. They're setting up two new shows to go back to back with Dexter (Summer) and Homeland (Fall).

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #436 on: July 01, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »
Dexter fans come forth!

I just finished the premier from last night, the beginning of the end. Some thoughts,

1. Dexter is a terrible parent
2. This new neuroscientist character looks promising.
3. Dexter is going to have to die, before this is all over with. Is there any chance it doesn't end with his death?
4. I'm curious  to see just how the neuroscientist was related to Harry.
5. The nannie's got a beautiful body.

I just hope this season delivers, and leaves Dexter Morgan's universe with the kind of quality with which we were introduced, rather than the way it eventually became in seasons 4/5/6.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
I really disliked her line about "I don't fit Harry's code", do the writers think I've forgotten the multiple people Dexter has killed that don't fit the code? And I'm not just referring to people he's kill in self-defense.

Also, I really didn't like the 6 month jump. I wanted to see Deb and Dex's first interactions after she killed LaGuerta, the moment she went "Fuck this shit!" and left Miami Metro, how did Matthews come back and when Batista decided to unretire.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2013, 05:02:25 PM »
Good point on the 6 month jump. To be honest, I'd forgotten a lot of those details.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »
Next episode name is "Every silver lining..."

NUGGETZ!  :hat
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
I really disliked her line about "I don't fit Harry's code", do the writers think I've forgotten the multiple people Dexter has killed that don't fit the code? And I'm not just referring to people he's kill in self-defense.

But if she knew Harry back when he was training Dexter, she'd know about the code, but not that he'd deviated from it?

I enjoyed the premiere, and after a pretty strong season last year I'm really looking forward to how this season plays out.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #441 on: July 01, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »
6 months later, Harrison is now an entirely different person and speaking fluently now  :rollin Regardless, I enjoyed the episode.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #442 on: July 01, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »

But if she knew Harry back when he was training Dexter, she'd know about the code, but not that he'd deviated from it?
Probably, but I believe the writers put that line there as a exclamation point to end the episode, a "BOOM! You didn't see that coming, did ya?!" surprise. But yes, if they're gonna retcon that part of the show then I can totally see that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #443 on: February 13, 2014, 06:45:37 PM »
So yeah, I finally got around to checking this show out.

Seasons 1 and 2 are both :hefdaddy :hefdaddy.

Season 3 wasn't nearly as good, but still solid.

I just started Season 4, and two episodes in, it is showing promise.  Most rave about it, so I expect it to be another awesome one.

Nearly everyone I know who watched the show has advised me to not even bother with the last few seasons (since the finale was supposedly horrible beyond belief), and the consensus is to just stop after 4.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #444 on: February 13, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »
4 is absolutely amazing and in my top 3 for the show. I can't believe they followed it with season 5. However, I loved season 6. But yeah, stop after that. In fact, Season 5 (except the first 5 minutes of episode 1) can be skipped and you'll have missed nothing.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #445 on: February 13, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »
The fourth was the last truly good season, after that it was pretty much all downhill (although I liked season seven more than five or six, because of Ray Stevenson). Season eight is just terrible beyond belief and for more reasons than just the finale.

Having said all that, you will likely find yourself watching the last four seasons and enjoying parts of them. They aren't 100% garbage, seasons five and seven have some good moments, six sort of just plods along slowly, is too predictable, and handles its themes quite poorly, Eight is a mess because the writers/producers don't appear to have been able to decide on what the focus of that season should be, so it lacks any sort of direction or natural flow as it jumps from one story to another. Plus as you've heard, the series finale is shit beyond belief.

It's a real shame the show declined the way it did, because those first four seasons (one, two, and four in particular) are amazing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: February 13, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »
I've watched all up to (I think) Season 6  - ends with his sister walking in on him in the church.   So sounds like Season 7 is worth a shot.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #447 on: February 13, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »
So yeah, I finally got around to checking this show out.

Seasons 1 and 2 are both :hefdaddy :hefdaddy.

Season 3 wasn't nearly as good, but still solid.

I just started Season 4, and two episodes in, it is showing promise.  Most rave about it, so I expect it to be another awesome one.

Nearly everyone I know who watched the show has advised me to not even bother with the last few seasons (since the finale was supposedly horrible beyond belief), and the consensus is to just stop after 4.

That is exactly how I progressed with the show and your season ratings are spot on. I made it 3/4 of the way through Season 5 before I stopped caring.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #448 on: February 13, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
I've watched all up to (I think) Season 6  - ends with his sister walking in on him in the church.   So sounds like Season 7 is worth a shot.
Season seven is a bit of a mess (something common to all the post-four seasons) and it has some plots that go absolutely nowhere (another thing they have in common) and one or two "why the fuck would they do that" or "such a wasted opportunity" moments (guess what? Yet another thing the last four seasons have in common. Did they learn nothing?), but it was probably the least offensive season of the latter half of the series to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #449 on: February 14, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
My only beef with the show is the predictability of it all.  I mean, I am halfway through Season 4, and while there will likely be more collateral damage along the way, Dexter befriending Trinity, that going sour eventually, and the season culminating with Trinity ending up on Dexter's table is fairly obvious.  I accidentally saw that Julie Benz (Rita) was only a regular on the show for the first four seasons, so it will be interesting to see if she is some of that collateral damage...

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #450 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
Honestly you can go from season 4 to season 7 and then stop there.

5 was bad, 6 was frustrating and 8 was just stinking pile of donkey shit!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2014, 12:07:34 AM »
Okay, Season 4 was truly awesome.  Almost as awesome as 1 and 2.  The "Hello, Dexter Morgan" scene was mind-boggingly great, and Rita's death at the end was absolutely crushing. 

Having watched the first episode of Season 5, too, they should have just ended it there (although you can't exactly have a one-episode season :lol).  It ending with Dexter's voiceover saying he loved Rita would have been the perfect ending, as he went from a completely empty monster to a man who finally admitted that he loved someone (albeit in the voiceover).

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
I think even the writer's eventually said: "Yeah, season 5 sucked" because season 6 begins I think almost a year after S5 ended and the characters introduced in S5 are never mentioned again.  :lol
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #453 on: February 16, 2014, 11:06:16 AM »
Oh my. :lol

I've decided, rather than suffer through four seasons of what most call not good TV, I am gonna just read the reviews of each season online, and then I'll watch the key moments/episodes that happened over the last four seasons on Netflix.  It really is a shame the show went downhill like that, since the first four seasons would have made it one of the best shows ever (and is still might be).

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #454 on: February 16, 2014, 11:10:48 AM »
My biggest problem with the show is how much of a dumb cunt Dexter becomes over the last few seasons. Like, it seems like he forgets the most basic of things about what made him at the very minimum a successful serial killer.