Author Topic: Dexter (TV Series)  (Read 69519 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: Dexter (TV Series)
« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »
Last week's episode very much convinced me that Gellar is real. And I with several episodes left in the season, there is some serious room for some ridiculous twists in the storyline.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
Is anyone else losing faith in this season more and more? 

There have definitely been some good things happening, but the writing just seems really sloppy to me as of now.  There are too many subplots that they are trying to open, and none of them really seem to be going anywhere interesting, as well as plenty of supporting characters for us to not give fucks about.  Also, I can't imagine a whole lot coming out of Dexter chasing Travis's imaginary friend; the gimmick has been going on for too long already.    Unless Geller is real, in which case they baited us towards a dead end just to be dicks.  The DDK villain(s?) aren't really anything interesting by themselves, either.  So far, they've just been shallow "god-told-me-to" kind of people, and the way that they're trying to portray Travis as the good guy who's just mixed up really isn't believable at all.  I'm hoping they'll work on that more, but considering the nature in which they've delved into his character so far the chances seem slim.  The religious themes could really be done right, but the show's only touched on them in the most pedestrian kind of ways.  ALSO, I think an element that has really done well for Dexter in the past is the drawn out cat-and-mouse plot style that worked so well on season 4 and season 2, respectively, among others.   Here, he's been nearly completely disconnected from the DDK plot until just this last episode, and it's lost a lot of its potential thrill for that reason.  There's still time for things to pick up, but as of now I'm just not as into it as I'd wish to be. 

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #247 on: November 24, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »
I'm really not losing interest at all and I think they're doing very well with the season so far. I don't really have any complaints.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #248 on: November 28, 2011, 12:33:53 AM »
Damn, that new episode was great! Great cliffhanger, too. Can't wait to see how the remaining 25% of the season goes with a huge twist so early in the season (compared to the others).

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #249 on: November 28, 2011, 06:29:03 AM »
Saw this happening a mile away. I wish they focused on Dexter like they did in season one. He needs to do more kills. I'll post more when I'm not T work

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #250 on: November 28, 2011, 07:32:49 AM »
I miss the days when Dexter wasn't an action hero type character.  I feel like they've been pushing him in that direction all season.  He's been completely reckless and sometimes downright stupid where he used to be clever and planning.  It's like we're supposed to be getting the idea that the guy's invincible now. 

Also, in other news, Quinn and Batista are still struggling tirelessly to out-douche each other.  I really hope this whole conflict is leading to the exit of at least one of them. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #251 on: November 28, 2011, 08:19:23 AM »
Yeah, there's been a lot of backlash against this season of Dexter.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #252 on: November 28, 2011, 09:37:42 AM »
Damn, that new episode was great! Great cliffhanger, too.
How is this a great cliffhanger? It was so painfully obvious!!

Well, I guess we were right in saying this was all a Tyler Durden deal. Now, let's see if the writers save this season that started with so much promise and has become worst and worst.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #253 on: November 28, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
i hate this new season

IN TONIGHT'S EPISODE, DEXTER STRUGGLES TO DEAL W/ THE QUESTION OF RELIGION AND HOW TO TREAT HIS FRIENDS

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK WHEN DEXTER GETS HIS FIRST PERIOD

Sent from my iPhone

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #254 on: November 28, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »
I think this season is very good. It shows that Dexter is dealing with more complex issues than in the past and that's mostly because of his friendship with Brother Sam. He is struggling with how he can become a better person and father for Harrison. I don't understand what's so HORRIBLY HORRENDOUSLY bad about this season. I wouldn't want to see the same storyline in every Dexter season. I'm glad that they're exploring different situations and emotions and how they affect Dexter.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #255 on: November 28, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »
He is struggling with how he can become a better person and father for Harrison.
Not the first season he has struggle with this.

The thing is, I feel like the writers are doing a half-ass job of really exploring these issues! Take when Brian came back, they could've make something awesome out of it, but no they just wrapped it up in its own self-contained episode.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #256 on: November 28, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »
He is struggling with how he can become a better person and father for Harrison.
Not the first season he has struggle with this.

The thing is, I feel like the writers are doing a half-ass job of really exploring these issues! Take when Brian came back, they could've make something awesome out of it, but no they just wrapped it up in its own self-contained episode.
You do got a point about Brian. They could have really made that interesting. And this is the first season that they have really gone into Dexter's feelings regarding Harrison and how he's trying to be a better father. The other seasons in which the topic has been somewhat explored is about the same as Brian's participation in this season. Its been very minimal.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #257 on: November 28, 2011, 02:51:03 PM »
ASDIJANMWWWWWWWDFHASDOMIQWWWWWWWWWWWW&*ABYDA*W(

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #258 on: November 28, 2011, 07:18:15 PM »
Yeah.

I'm gonna have to agree with the consensus that this season is pretty awful. The way they skirted around Dexter meeting Gellar this past episode was so ridiculous. I mean, Dexter closing his eyes at the exact moment that Gellar 'appears' when he's on the way to kill the lecturer? Please.

I said it before, but what I always liked about Dexter was the gritty reality of the characters. Of course there are some who are larger than life and exaggerated, but they were always grounded is reality. Having a character play as important a part as Gellar and then say that he's just an illusion is an overplayed cop-out, in my opinion. I could deal with Harry, who I always viewed as more of an omniscient narrator to Dexter, because he's a sort of guardian angel figure rather than someone having a physical effect on Dexter's life. I didn't really like the reappearance of Brian, because Dexter felt his presence so keenly. If we remember that Brian wasn't really there, then Dexter just appears to be batshit crazy, when he's always seemed so sane and focused before.

Not sure how much sense that makes. I think I'm feeling the change in style so strongly because the early days of Dexter, when he was just a man 'wearing a mask,' really struck a chord with me, and his struggles to maintain that mask were relatable. This season is not relatable to anybody.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
We sure made some good guesses, didn't we?

Anyone have any ideas as to what will happen with the whole arc with Louis?
He seems very intelligent, low-profile, extremely interested in Dexter and secretly bought the Ice Truck Killer Prostitute Hand (which he lied to Masuka about, and added to his "collection")
Maybe he's a freak? Or maybe he's a new killer?

edit: He's also insanely neat, and has rarely let anyone into his home ("I don't let a lot of people in here")
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:16:36 PM by Aramatheis »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2011, 03:44:49 PM »
Hopefully he and Brea Grant are in cahoots, because it would be a shame to not see her again. :(

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
We sure made some good guesses, didn't we?

Anyone have any ideas as to what will happen with the whole arc with Louis?
He seems very intelligent, low-profile, extremely interested in Dexter and secretly bought the Ice Truck Killer Prostitute Hand (which he lied to Masuka about, and added to his "collection")
Maybe he's a freak? Or maybe he's a new killer?

edit: He's also insanely neat, and has rarely let anyone into his home ("I don't let a lot of people in here")

Yeah, it's definitely possible that he could be a killer who admires Dexter's work.  Or maybe even sees him as a threat. 

Did anyone else catch when he told Dexter to use a new search engine?  That was a big red flag for me.  It seems likely that it was a search engine he created and recommended to Dexter to monitor what he searches.  If so, he probably already knows a hell of a lot. His motivations for hooking up with Batista's sister could be related as well.  That could grant him access to Dexter's apartment easily and the secrets within.

I think Louis shows more promise than the shallow DDK plot ever has throughout the series, so I'd love for them to develop him more.  We might not see what will come of it until the next season, of course, and I'd kind of prefer it that way anyways. 

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
Yeah, it's definitely possible that he could be a killer who admires Dexter's work.  Or maybe even sees him as a threat. 

Did anyone else catch when he told Dexter to use a new search engine?  That was a big red flag for me.  It seems likely that it was a search engine he created and recommended to Dexter to monitor what he searches.  If so, he probably already knows a hell of a lot. His motivations for hooking up with Batista's sister could be related as well.  That could grant him access to Dexter's apartment easily and the secrets within.

I think Louis shows more promise than the shallow DDK plot ever has throughout the series, so I'd love for them to develop him more.  We might not see what will come of it until the next season, of course, and I'd kind of prefer it that way anyways.

This is precisely what I have been thinking.

Hopefully he and Brea Grant are in cahoots, because it would be a shame to not see her again. :(

This is precisely what I have been thinking.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2011, 04:47:07 PM »
Wouldn't it be awesome for Louis to turned out to be a killer and be next season's "big bad" and they writers are setting up already?

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2011, 04:52:09 PM »
It would.

I think it would be equally as cool if the DDK killer is actually just a minor plot as well, and the whole Louis thing takes over the last episodes. I mean, there are 3 left until the season is over, and the DDK thing seems to be drawing to a close.

But it would be kinda lame if they go through a whole Louis arc in 2.5 episodes.
so yeah, scratch that, it wouldn't be nearly as cool.

hopefully brea grant and louis are killers/partners, and have a master plan to study and take out Dexter. Added bonus that along the way, Jamie get's offed and Batista resigns and leaves the show :caffeine:

EVEN better would be if LaGuerta and Captain Dickface get caught and fired, and also leave the show

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »
Fuck, getting rid of LaGuerta would do a hell of a lot to reboot my excitement for this show.  I'm also hoping that Quinn is on his way out.  He's always been a self-destructive jackass, but this season he's really pushing it. 

Just thinking about this has made me realized how many supporting characters just hang around in this show and go absolutely nowhere.  I'll be pretty annoyed if this whole Batista/Quinn relationship and the Mathews/Laguerta thing are just allowed to simmer down and are eventually forgotten about.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2011, 08:01:12 PM »
I've been hoping they kill Quinn since he first appeared on the show.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2011, 08:05:11 PM »
I've never really cared for LaGuerta, but I understood her role in the show.  Until this season.  I'm hoping they're using this scandal as a way to move her and Matthews off the show.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
LaGuerta is hands down the worst part of the show, imo.
Since episode one.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
I hope she does die this season. Or at least get fired for trying to help cover up this hooker murder
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »
I hope she does die this season. Or at least get fired for trying to help cover up this hooker murder
How about Dexter kills her. Wouldn't that be something?  :corn

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #271 on: December 01, 2011, 09:27:53 PM »
How about Dexter kills her. Wouldn't that be something?  :corn
That would be. Especially because she likes Dexter
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #272 on: December 01, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »
LaGuerta is hands down the worst part of the show, imo.
Since episode one.

Naw, that was Rita. Thank goodness she's gone now.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #273 on: December 01, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »
:facepalm:

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #274 on: December 01, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »
Why does this warrant a facepalm? To me, she was the absolutely most annoying character in the entire show. I also can't stand Julie Benz.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2011, 10:49:44 PM »
I find her attractive. Moreso than LaGuerta
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #276 on: December 01, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »
I never found neither of them attractive, but that's beside the poin ;)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2011, 11:20:53 PM »
I loved Rita.  Mainly because she looked almost exactly like my ex who I may or may not still have feelings for...

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
Why does this warrant a facepalm? To me, she was the absolutely most annoying character in the entire show. I also can't stand Julie Benz.

She was alright for the first two(ish) seasons.  After that, Dexter's relationship with her began to get really stale and they kind of used her to repeat the same themes until they were completely worn out.  Killing her and moving the kids away was actually a good move, I think.  That relationship had run its course.

I have no real problem with the character/actor though.  She fit well enough. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #279 on: December 11, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
This has been the weakest season so far, but I haven't seen tonight's episode yet... hoping that will change my opinion.