Author Topic: Dexter (TV Series)  (Read 70230 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: Dexter (TV Series)
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2011, 07:26:23 PM »
The scene a couple of episodes ago where Dexter was praying to the coffee machine was pretty awkward in my opinion. If Dexter starts believing in God by the end of this season I am done with this show. The reason I fell so in love with Dexter in the first place was that his character was so different to everything else on television, so cold and ruthless yet very believable, and whilst I appreciate the need for him to become more 'human' with each passing season I feel like the writers are turning him from an anti-hero into just a plain old good-guy in order that a wider audience can resonate with him.

Really?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »
Hey look, it's GP entering a thread about TV/movie and declaring he has a better opinion than you.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »
Eh, it really has nothing to do with my opinion of the show.  There are just a lot of characters of the type he's describing, especially on cable TV.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2011, 08:23:10 PM »
The scene where he drowned the guy was by far the best moment of the season so far.  I think things are looking good for this season if we get to see more angry Dexter.  I love it when he gets that way.

Side note:  what the hell was wrong with the audio in this episode?  This show has had minor problems with it before, but in this one Dexter's "thinking" lines sounded like they were recorded on an iphone. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:35:07 PM by ClairvoyantCat »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »
The scene where he drowned the guy was by far the best moment of the season so far.  I think things are looking good for this season if we get to see more angry Dexter.  I love it when he gets that way.

Side note:  what the hell was wrong with the audio in this episode?  This show has had minor problems with it before, but in this one Dexter's "thinking" lines sounded like they were recorded on an iphone.
That scene will probably define this season. I don't know if my memory is correct or not, but he hasn't killed anyone without his careful planning, right? I know Nick deserved to be killed by Dexter, but doing it at that instant will probably cause some MAJOR problems for him.

On your side note, the audio seemed fine when I watched it.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2011, 09:00:29 PM »
That scene will probably define this season. I don't know if my memory is correct or not, but he hasn't killed anyone without his careful planning, right? I know Nick deserved to be killed by Dexter, but doing it at that instant will probably cause some MAJOR problems for him.

If my memory serves me right, there was a scene in season 5 where he killed a guy in a fight because he insulted Rita, or something along those lines.  (I remember his imaginary father saying "that was the most human thing you've ever done, Dexter")  Maybe not the first time it's happened, but it's definitely a rare occurrence for him to lose his cool and act on impulse.

Also, for the audio, it's only in the parts when he's thinking to himself close to the beginning.  I'M NOT CRAZY I SWEAR. 

ALSO, something is definitely off with this new intern and his desire to learn more about Dexter.  Maybe a new killer in the making, admiring Dexter for more than his forensic work?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2011, 09:10:22 PM »
Just a random note, I forgot that Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter divorced. They do a good job keeping it together on camera, I know a few shows that would have ended had something like this happened
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
Dexter indeed broke Harry's code in season 5.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »
Just a random note, I forgot that Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter divorced. They do a good job keeping it together on camera, I know a few shows that would have ended had something like this happened
Apparently they know how to keep the personal and professional lives very much separate.

If my memory serves me right, there was a scene in season 5 where he killed a guy in a fight because he insulted Rita, or something along those lines.  (I remember his imaginary father saying "that was the most human thing you've ever done, Dexter")  Maybe not the first time it's happened, but it's definitely a rare occurrence for him to lose his cool and act on impulse.

Also, for the audio, it's only in the parts when he's thinking to himself close to the beginning.  I'M NOT CRAZY I SWEAR. 

ALSO, something is definitely off with this new intern and his desire to learn more about Dexter.  Maybe a new killer in the making, admiring Dexter for more than his forensic work?
Rita died at the end of season 4, so I'm really not understanding what you meant. Can you clarify?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »
It's not that a guy comments about Rita, but since the season 5 premiere takes place right after season 4 ended, Dexter is feeling guilty over Rita's death and he's over on the swamps and there's this guy making comments (don't remember what exactly, but I know they weren't about Rita) and he just snaps and beats him to death.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #220 on: November 07, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
It's not that a guy comments about Rita, but since the season 5 premiere takes place right after season 4 ended, Dexter is feeling guilty over Rita's death and he's over on the swamps and there's this guy making comments (don't remember what exactly, but I know they weren't about Rita) and he just snaps and beats him to death.
I think I need to re-watch this episode. I'm not sure if I remember it, if at all.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »
I'm very sure it wasn't a guy making comments about Rita. I know it happened in a boat shed and the guy was just obnoxious and annoying and Dexter's inner monologue was all about how guilty he felt for Rita's death.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
I'm very sure it wasn't a guy making comments about Rita. I know it happened in a boat shed and the guy was just obnoxious and annoying and Dexter's inner monologue was all about how guilty he felt for Rita's death.
Yep, I definitely remember this now. The boat shed gave it away.

The way the latest finished after it showed Dexter's brothers make me want to know what happens next even more. Plus Travis let the women go instead of doing what Gellar said (if he even exists). God, this season is shaping up to be VERY interesting.  :corn

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »
Oh my God what a great episode. I can't ask for much more.

Brian's back, Trinity is still haunting Dexter, Travis telling Gellar off. I can't wait.

Also, I really like Mike Anderson. The flamingo thing was hilarious. I hope he stays on for awhile
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2011, 11:37:31 PM »

I'm 99% sure it was. Dexter said something about his wife being dead, and the guy said something about how she can suck his cock or something.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2011, 04:43:02 AM »
Yeah it was in the toilets of a boat shed. Dexter beats him to death with an anchor. I always wondered about that scene, as he left without cleaning up, and somebody would have discovered the body eventually.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2011, 06:04:33 AM »
Yeah it was in the toilets of a boat shed. Dexter beats him to death with an anchor. I always wondered about that scene, as he left without cleaning up, and somebody would have discovered the body eventually.
That disappointed me about last season. Not only did he break Harry's code but he didn't cleaned up and there was no repercussion at all??

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »
That disappointed me about last season. Not only did he break Harry's code but he didn't cleaned up and there was no repercussion at all??
Hopefully the latest episode's 'breaking-code' scene will have more developments that that particular scene at the beginning of season 5. This season has been great so far, so there is no doubt in my mind that they will come back to that scene sometime in the next few episodes or so.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2011, 10:36:47 PM »
"This is my brother, Travis. He is a wonderful painter."

The paintings back at the church. Travis is doing them. I don't think they've mentioned Gellar as a painter. I truly still believe that Gellar has been dead. He's been in public far too much, someone would have recognized him.

And now with the ghost of Brian with Dexter and (if it is true) the ghost of Gellar with Travis, you have two demons that will influence those that they follow. You got to get to the darkest point to let the light in.

I'm loving this season, there's so much that you can speculate on. The season feels interactive to and it's something I can hold multiple guesses as to what comes next
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
I'm so glad it's Thursday already. I can't wait for the next episode on Sunday.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
Man, Dexter completely went off the deep end in that episode.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
Man, Dexter completely went off the deep end in that episode.
Yea, but everything looks like it's back to normal.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2011, 02:04:18 PM »
I kind of wish the show would take some of these character developments it flirts with (a darker and more aggressive Dexter in this one) and actually run with them.  Bringing back Brian in his head had loads of potential, but since they decided to simply put an end to it in this episode it just seems like a brief little gimmick to fill up the season.  Also, interesting things are happening regarding Gellar.  Either he's actually real and a large percent of the fanbase has been completely off the mark, or they're just trying to mask it a little more. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2011, 02:16:59 PM »
I kind of wish the show would take some of these character developments it flirts with (a darker and more aggressive Dexter in this one) and actually run with them.  Bringing back Brian in his head had loads of potential, but since they decided to simply put an end to it in this episode it just seems like a brief little gimmick to fill up the season.  Also, interesting things are happening regarding Gellar.  Either he's actually real and a large percent of the fanbase has been completely off the mark, or they're just trying to mask it a little more. 
If he's real, they're making damn sure everyone thinks he's not! But if they want to believe that he is real, they need to drop some subtle hints that he is! So far we got nothing.

I loved this episode (even though it was another of those "filler" episodes to extend the season), and I agree about what you said Seth. I wish they would've run with that more, and I guess they could, with all the light/dark that this season has gone about I guess they could bring Brian back (being his dark side to Harry's light side), but it's highly unlikely they do.

At any rate, next week we should be back to DDK for the rest of the season. And who else thinks Travis' sister will end up being "the whore"? If they wanna show the audience that Gellar is real, I can't think of a better way.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2011, 02:17:31 PM »
At this point I have no idea about Gellar. Even if they do show him doing stuff it doesn't mean anything either, because Brian was doing all sorts of things through the episode (eating, throwing the bags in the ocean, grabbing the pitchfork, etc).

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
At this point I have no idea about Gellar. Even if they do show him doing stuff it doesn't mean anything either, because Brian was doing all sorts of things through the episode (eating, throwing the bags in the ocean, grabbing the pitchfork, etc).
At least with the pitchfork thing they showed Dexter was the real one holding it.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2011, 07:19:17 PM »

I was thinking more of how the girl who Travis let go specifically remembered two people, one older and one younger, holding her captive. 

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »
Oh yeah, I definitely noticed that as well, totally forgot about it until now.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »
She did say something about hearing the younger guy talk and call out a "professor", but I don't remember she ever said that she heard another voice apart from Travis'.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »
No, because she said she remembered The Professor calling her "The Whore". Not to mention that she said the two of them forcefed her the blood, once holding her neck back with his knee and the other pouring.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
I do remember that part about the blood.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:03 AM »
I think the Tyler Durden theory can still hold up. One guy can do both voices... and one person could possibly force her to drink it. We still haven't really seen Geller do anything or anyone else acknowledge his existence.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #242 on: November 15, 2011, 02:21:36 PM »
I think the Tyler Durden theory can still hold up. One guy can do both voices... and one person could possibly force her to drink it. We still haven't really seen Geller do anything or anyone else acknowledge his existence.
I agree. The show hasn't convinced me otherwise as of yet. There hasn't been any 'hard' evidence to disprove this theory as of right now.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »
Gellar was a university prof, wasn't he..? That would mean that he exists. Or did.
Maybe Travis was his student and took the prof's message to heart, killed him and is living in a fantasy world.
Or maybe Gellar is still alive, and behind all this.

So is Detective Anderson the new Doakes?

Offline missedthepoint

• Ahh, I see now. Wait, what?
« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2011, 01:10:49 PM »
I for one never thought that Geller was anything but real. But now that you mention it, it would be kinda cool if Geller was Travis' Dark Passenger.

Oh and if anyone is going to be the new Doaks, i think it will be Deb that gets suspicious of Dexter next, what with the pen from the motel and all.