Author Topic: Night Court reboot  (Read 2297 times)

Offline T-ski

Night Court reboot
« on: December 31, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »
Night Court is an all time great show in my opinion, and the type of comedy they did would most likely not fly in todays world. I really hope they don’t ruin the name with this reboot.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/night-court-reboot-melissa-rauch-john-larroquette-star-nbc-pilot-order-harrys-daughter-dan-1234749310/
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
Re: Night Court reboot
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »
Loved this show. Fingers crossed...
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 11:39:48 AM »
Oh it’ll be ruined no doubt. You know they’re going to have to shoehorn in certain content and woke stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »
I don't know how I would objectively rank Night Court, but in its prime it was one of my favorite shows. I loved the irreverence, and that irreverence made the occasions where it showed heart and tenderness all the more meaningful. Dan Fielding is an all-time Top 5 TV character of mine. He showed disdain for Stone's humor and courtroom antics, but it was him who appealed to Stone's sound judgment and capabilities that convinced him return to the bench when he wanted to quit (I cannot recall the exact details of that episode...)*

If this show has the same irreverent humor, I can see how it will fall flat in 2021. If it doesn't, it could be just Night Court in name only, and then what is the point?

* hey I found the clip! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ93Rg8GhGM
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
I think Night Court was very much of its time.  When it was on, I was a huge fan.

I went back to check out a couple of episodes about a year ago or so, and found that it had aged quite poorly.

I have no idea why anyone thought a reboot would be a good idea.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online pg1067

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 02:04:50 PM »
I'll be quite interested to see Melissa Rauch playing someone other than Bernadette on The Big Bang Theory.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 04:26:09 PM »
Eh, too many of the main characters from the original show are no longer with us, and the thing that made Dan Fielding a funny character, being a sexist womanizer, won't fly on TV in 2021. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 06:54:29 AM »
I liked the original show, mainly because I liked Harry Anderson (I found the supporting characters to be less than enthralling); I have no interest in this, though.