Author Topic: JP's beard  (Read 45325 times)

Offline Xenon

Re: JP's beard
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2014, 10:36:34 AM »
Is he turning into a Walrus?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2014, 11:08:30 AM »
I like the beard. I think it suits him. Also I'm just gonna leave this here: https://youtu.be/VXTp2pFj9dg?t=2m4s
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Newspin

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
My Blu-ray arrived yesterday and I spent the afternoon drinking a few beers and blasting that thing through my surround speakers... I cannot find the words to express how much of an improvement this recording is over the Luna Park mess that was released almost a year ago...

I would also have liked for the orchestra and choir to be a bit more audible, simply because Rudess' key-sounds are so awesome these days, that it is hard to hear the difference in a live setting. But aside from that small note I loved every nano-second of the release.... James is as awesome as he could possibly be with his 50+ year old voice and the mix is light-years ahead of that on the Luna Park release!

Heck, everything is just... better... much, much better. The stage setup is awesome, the video show is great (and not cut in with the live footage during the actual show or stupidly superimposed on the musicians playing as e.g. on TBOA on the LP release), the sound is way more even, with Rudess' solo sport clearly audible; the drums sound way more "live"; the cut is slower with smart occasional use of multiple Videos side by side or even at one point all four musicians being shown on the screen split four ways.

I love, love, love this Blu-ray as much as I HATED the Luna Park one.... Bring on the next tour and next concert release!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
though really if any thread should be taken offtopic its this one i mean COME ON
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 11:18:51 AM »
My Blu-ray arrived yesterday and I spent the afternoon drinking a few beers and blasting that thing through my surround speakers... I cannot find the words to express how much of an improvement this recording is over the Luna Park mess that was released almost a year ago...

I would also have liked for the orchestra and choir to be a bit more audible, simply because Rudess' key-sounds are so awesome these days, that it is hard to hear the difference in a live setting. But aside from that small note I loved every nano-second of the release.... James is as awesome as he could possibly be with his 50+ year old voice and the mix is light-years ahead of that on the Luna Park release!

Heck, everything is just... better... much, much better. The stage setup is awesome, the video show is great (and not cut in with the live footage during the actual show or stupidly superimposed on the musicians playing as e.g. on TBOA on the LP release), the sound is way more even, with Rudess' solo sport clearly audible; the drums sound way more "live"; the cut is slower with smart occasional use of multiple Videos side by side or even at one point all four musicians being shown on the screen split four ways.

I love, love, love this Blu-ray as much as I HATED the Luna Park one.... Bring on the next tour and next concert release!!!

JP's beard

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 11:27:55 AM »
I like the beard. I think it suits him. Also I'm just gonna leave this here: https://youtu.be/VXTp2pFj9dg?t=2m4s

:tup Ironically one of their very best albums.

Maybe JP should cut it off again. Although he doesn't have the hairline for it anymore...

Offline Xenon

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »

Maybe JP should cut it off again. Although he doesn't have the hairline for it anymore...
He's aiming for the Devin Townsend look.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 05:12:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure JP's beard is so fucking manly, his beard actually has a beard of its own.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 05:12:49 AM »

Disappointing, I was expecting the comment about JP's beard that never came.  :'(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 05:48:55 AM »

Hmm I don't think JP is that receding. He looks fine in some photos....

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2014, 06:11:53 AM »
My Blu-ray arrived yesterday and I spent the afternoon drinking a few beers and blasting that thing through my surround speakers... I cannot find the words to express how much of an improvement his facial hair is over the Luna Park mess that was happening almost a year ago...

I would also have liked for the orchestra and choir to be a bit more audible, simply because Rudess' key-sounds are so awesome these days, that it is hard to hear the difference in a live setting. But aside from that small note I loved every nano-second of the release.... James is as awesome as he could possibly be with his 50+ year old voice and the mix is light-years ahead of that on the Luna Park release, it's definitly in the beard!

Heck, everything is just... better... much, much better. The stage setup is awesome, the beard is better, the video show is great (and not cut in with the live footage during the actual show or stupidly superimposed on the musicians playing as e.g. on TBOA on the LP release), the sound is way more even, with Rudess' solo sport clearly audible; the drums sound way more "live"; the cut is slower with smart occasional use of multiple Videos side by side or even at one point all four musicians being shown on the screen split four ways.

I love, love, love his beard and this Blu-ray as much as I HATED the Luna Park one.... Bring on the next tour and next concert release and keep your hands off the facial trimmer JP!!!

Disappointing, I was expecting the comment about JP's beard that never came.  :'(
Really, I think you should read again.

Sry Newspin!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2014, 07:54:43 AM »

That picture is at pretty much the perfect angle, and his hair is nicely weaved and straightened out there. He's thinning out quite noticeably if you see him in a ponytail.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »

That picture is at pretty much the perfect angle, and his hair is nicely weaved and straightened out there. He's thinning out quite noticeably if you see him in a ponytail.
Even in that pic you can see his fivehead.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2014, 05:17:30 AM »
My Blu-ray arrived yesterday and I spent the afternoon drinking a few beers and blasting that thing through my surround speakers... I cannot find the words to express how much of an improvement his facial hair is over the Luna Park mess that was happening almost a year ago...

I would also have liked for the orchestra and choir to be a bit more audible, simply because Rudess' key-sounds are so awesome these days, that it is hard to hear the difference in a live setting. But aside from that small note I loved every nano-second of the release.... James is as awesome as he could possibly be with his 50+ year old voice and the mix is light-years ahead of that on the Luna Park release, it's definitly in the beard!

Heck, everything is just... better... much, much better. The stage setup is awesome, the beard is better, the video show is great (and not cut in with the live footage during the actual show or stupidly superimposed on the musicians playing as e.g. on TBOA on the LP release), the sound is way more even, with Rudess' solo sport clearly audible; the drums sound way more "live"; the cut is slower with smart occasional use of multiple Videos side by side or even at one point all four musicians being shown on the screen split four ways.

I love, love, love his beard and this Blu-ray as much as I HATED the Luna Park one.... Bring on the next tour and next concert release and keep your hands off the facial trimmer JP!!!

Sry Newspin!

WTF, you actually fooled me there for a second you fucker, well done.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 05:47:12 AM »

But he 's nowhere near Devin Townsend / Bill Bailey levels of skullet. He still has plenty on top.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 06:27:58 AM »

Sry Newspin!

WTF, you actually fooled me there for a second you fucker, well done.
:biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 07:23:04 AM »
But he 's nowhere near Devin Townsend / Bill Bailey levels of skullet. He still has plenty on top.
Not yet, but he's getting there, especially when you compare these photos:

with this photo:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2014, 09:08:29 AM »

Everything in its right time  :lol

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
It actually looks like his growth line was always around that point, even in the younger photos. So maybe he's not receding relatively as bad as we think. Sometimes it just stands out more if his hair's right back. :lol

But anyway, the beard is glorious. ;)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 04:20:49 AM »
This hair is slowly moving from the top of his head to his face.

Offline pgf

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 05:42:21 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 11:32:37 PM »

Wow, a comparison of JP and Bill Bailey's hair... :lol

But the real question is who is more metal; John or Bill?  Bill has a very unique one-of-a-kind style that I don't know if JP can match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoA5jty5yQE

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 11:44:26 PM »
John could go the Peter Gabriel approach:

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
For the next tour, DT will cover ZZ Top's "Afterburner", and JP will be known as Reverend John Petrucci.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »
He really seems to have liked the way he looked on that day. Because I keep seeing pics from this day popping up

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Xenon

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
He really seems to have liked the way he looked on that day. Because I keep seeing pics from this day popping up

Even though I think that beard is awful, he looks badass as fuck in those pics.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
When I saw these pics I thought it was MP.....all he is missing is the blue in the beard.  :o
I for one hope it is gone by the time of the Melbourne show, 21 days today!  :smiley:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2014, 01:16:41 AM »

That's just all kinds of bad-ass!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
I've always been a fan of facial hair ... rawr!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »
do you like it?

Not at all.  It looks like he's trying to be Zakk Wylde.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline adastra

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2014, 10:51:51 PM »
Oh shit, That Looks nasty :D  Petrucci looked so awesome without any facial hair x_x
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2014, 11:04:31 PM »
His beard is going out of control, he should trim it a little or something.

Or just out of nowhere appear with the 2001 hairstyle and no beard like in '93. Out of fucking nowhere.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »
The beard is neither good or bad. The beard is simply... an entity of its own.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »
GUYS GUYS...YUO CANT SPELL BEARD WITHOUT BEAR

:omg: :omg: :omg: