Author Topic: King's X  (Read 5925 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: King's X
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
King's X is one of those bands that I like, but literally NEVER feel like listening to.  Don't know why, either.

My brother and I saw them five years or so ago, and there was literally no more than a couple hundred people there.  And this was at a venue that holds around 2-3K.  Even during most of their set, the floor in front of the stage was mostly empty.  I felt bad for them. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »
King's X is one of those bands that I like, but literally NEVER feel like listening to.  Don't know why, either.

My brother and I saw them five years or so ago, and there was literally no more than a couple hundred people there.  And this was at a venue that holds around 2-3K.  Even during most of their set, the floor in front of the stage was mostly empty.  I felt bad for them. 
It's sad, because they put on a hell of a show. I've seen them twice, and they've absolutely rocked both times. Doug is great with the crowd, and it seems like he makes eye contact and smiles at practically everyone in the audience. He makes it seem like he's singing directly to you.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 08:23:55 AM »
If you're a metal fan and a King's X fan, Galactic Cowboys will be right up your alley.

As for influence on grunge:

1) Jeff Ament said they "invented grunge."

2) After Sap, Jerry Cantrell was asked when the next AIC album would start and he said, "I'm not sure. We're waiting for the new King's X record to come out first." They laughed a bit and Cantrell mentioned how most of the riffs on Facelift were mutations of King's X songs or melodies (They are - listen to Facelift back to back with Faith, Hope, Love, and the self-titled album. It's shameless).

3) One of the DeLeo brothers (STP) - can't remember which one - once said "Grunge was born in Katy, Texas (Ty's hometown).

4) Soundgarden used to reference Ty and Dug in interviews all the time in the early 90's as an influence.

The other influences are a bit odd - bands that have been around forever have even changed their sound on one or two albums, citing the King's X influence (Queensryche's Hear In The Now Frontier, and Kiss' Psycho Circus - both DeGarmo and Kulick admit to being huge fans). Jon Corabi brought some KX influence into the self-titled Motley Crue album he sang/played on. You can also frequently hear Ty's influence from Reb Beach on recent Winger and Whitesnake outputs, as well as on George Lynch on Dokken's Shadowlife.

I could go on and on...
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 09:22:58 PM »
I love Kings X.  I don't have Live In London or XV, but I've got the rest.

Those first three or four albums are magical for me.  Live All Over The Place gets overplayed too.

For a myriad of reasons, I've managed to avoid seeing them live. One of these days I hope to fix that.

Since you've never seen them, you should get the Live In London DVD. 

I intend to do that.  Not something that is easily found in the used bins....

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
BUMP

Listening to some old school King's X, and was wondering about their current output.  Loved their stuff through Tape Head (1998), but the next couple of albums they released were just not very good, as their core sound really changed.  Anyone around here know much about their more current releases?

I think they've rebounded nicely with Ogre Tones and XV.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
Ogre Tones and XV are the best of the post-Atlantic output...IMO.  :hefdaddy I say that as a "since day 1" fan.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
I thought XV had some solid tracks, but Ogre Tones didn't quite do it for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
Ogre Tones is one of my top 10 favorite albums of all time.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:32 PM »
I'm FINALLY getting to see KX live on May 4th at M3.  :caffeine:

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »
They kick ass live. You won't be disappointed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »
They kick ass live. You won't be disappointed.

This.  Enjoy.

I know you already know this, but my band covers this song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5h4yLv_qp8  It's a blast!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 04:01:46 PM »
Coz, those harmonies with the heavy music is to die for.  Enjoy!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 05:14:48 PM »
Ogre Tones was a neat little album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »
Do we not have any other King's X thread?  I can change the title to make this one be such a thing.

And they are dope live, BTW.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »
Do we not have any other King's X thread?  I can change the title to make this one be such a thing.

DTF wouldn't let me search for King's X because all words need to have at least 2 letters, so I searched for Ty Tabor and this was the first thing I found that had King's X in the thread title.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
Do we not have any other King's X thread? 

Yes.  Thread is now merged.  There are a couple of other older ones I may merge in as well if I can be bothered to find them.

DTF wouldn't let me search for King's X because all words need to have at least 2 letters, so I searched for Ty Tabor and this was the first thing I found that had King's X in the thread title.

Use quotes.  (i.e., search "King's X")

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »

Ah, thanks bosk!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 01:36:16 AM »
Love them. Just listened to Faith, Hope, Love again...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
I've never heard [Galactic Cowboys].  I should remedy that.

I know this post is hella-old, but please tell you remedied this, Bosk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34OASgsyHVI

I checked the Galactic Cowboys thread and never so any posts from you...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »
wrong thread