Author Topic: Discovering "Awake"  (Read 25378 times)

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
Re: Discovering "Awake"
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:06 AM »
This band is exceptional, seriously. If you listen the whole discography and analize it, it's just amazing.

I just hope to have DT many more years, please.

Yup, their whole discography is amazing even without analyzing it.

I'm sure they have a lot of more years in them, just think about it, how will the 14th album sound? (and then we will consider BC&SL "old") We have no idea and that's just one of the things that makes DT my favourite band.

BTW; welcome to the forum!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 05:40:49 AM »
Okay, but you are one person.  Do you expect everyone to have the same reaction and experience as you?

Sorry.  This peeves me.  This is a message board, and I'm writing about what I think about an album.  That you're reading one person's opinion should pretty much be a given at all times.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 06:45:25 AM »
This band is exceptional, seriously. If you listen the whole discography and analize it, it's just amazing.

I just hope to have DT many more years, please.

I'd rather not :neverusethis:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 07:37:38 AM »
My 9th favourite. Listening to Awake is like scaling a mountain only to find half way through that it's in fact a cliff.

You're supposed to already know its a cliff before you start scaling.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 07:40:29 AM »
Get ready for the universe to implode here but I actually agree with Blob on one thing regarding Awake: I really don't like the lyrics to Lie.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 07:44:45 AM »
Get ready for the universe to implode here but I actually agree with Blob on one thing regarding Awake: I really don't like the lyrics to Lie.

And all this time we thought it was going to be 2012. Turns out it was today.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 07:45:25 AM »
It is what it is, but part of me feels bad when I read about the "younger" DT fans having to discover older DT music compared to those of us that have been on this journey since the beginning and discovered each record when it came out.  I feel very fortunate to be a 20-year plus fan of this band and a 30-year plus fan of Rush.  
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 07:45:56 AM »
Awake was the album that got me into Dream Theater, and it's still my favorite DT album, along with Images and Words.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 08:01:22 AM »
I also don't like the lyrics to Lie. I thought most people didn't ???

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 08:11:17 AM »
Awake is my favourite DT album! The atmosphere in the songs is just incredible.
My favourite album of all times is Episode by Stratovarius. In this album I feel that balance like in Episode. It is all-in-one.
I'm a Stratovarius fan too and Episode is my favourite album by them! Maybe not my favourite of all times but really good anyway.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2010, 08:30:56 AM »
Awake is my favourite DT album! The atmosphere in the songs is just incredible.
My favourite album of all times is Episode by Stratovarius. In this album I feel that balance like in Episode. It is all-in-one.
I'm a Stratovarius fan too and Episode is my favourite album by them! Maybe not my favourite of all times but really good anyway.

Episode is my favourite too, with Visions as 2nd.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2010, 08:44:23 AM »
Okay, but you are one person.  Do you expect everyone to have the same reaction and experience as you?

Sorry.  This peeves me.  This is a message board, and I'm writing about what I think about an album.  That you're reading one person's opinion should pretty much be a given at all times.

Uh, I am aware of that. :lol :p  All I am saying is, just because you had a certain experience with an album doesn't mean that anyone else will.   

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2010, 08:44:47 AM »
I also don't like the lyrics to Lie. I thought most people didn't ???
They're not particularly good, no. But I don't think they're any worse than the vast majority of lyrics they've been putting out on the last few albums.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
I think people's attachment toward Kevin may have had more to do with all the Awake luvin that goes on than anything else.
I don't give a wet fart about Kevin Moore, but I still think Awake is DT at their best.  In fact, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 10:22:53 AM »
I think people's attachment toward Kevin may have had more to do with all the Awake luvin that goes on than anything else.
I don't give a wet fart about Kevin Moore, but I still think Awake is DT at their best.  In fact, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Next time a KM debate comes up, watch as posters reason through why they like/do not like Awake.  Ask yourself is these posters are being sincere, of if they're attempting to polarize themselves by taking "sides" in the KM debate.  I can't believe no one else sees this going on all the time here (and the internet in general).

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »

To any fans here who were listening to DT when Awake came out, was there much made then of the fact that Moore left the band?  It seems like a bigger issue to many fans now than it would have been when it happened.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »
I don't give a wet fart about Kevin Moore, but I still think Awake is DT at their best.  In fact, I have no idea what you're talking about.

To any fans here who were listening to DT when Awake came out, was there much made then of the fact that Moore left the band?  It seems like a bigger issue to many fans now than it would have been when it happened.  I think a few days ago El Barto posted something along the lines of him not knowing until he was waiting in line at the venue.

I wasn't around, but going by Rich's book and some posts I've read in the past, most people didn't even know until the tour.  The label kept it under wraps, and those were before the days of the internet so news didn't really travel as fast.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »

Next time a KM debate comes up, watch as posters reason through why they like/do not like Awake.  Ask yourself is these posters are being sincere, of if they're attempting to polarize themselves by taking "sides" in the KM debate.  I can't believe no one else sees this going on all the time here (and the internet in general).
Are you always this paranoid?

To any fans here who were listening to DT when Awake came out, was there much made then of the fact that Moore left the band?  It seems like a bigger issue to many fans now than it would have been when it happened.
I didn't know KM was out until the release of A Change of Seasons.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »

???

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 10:34:44 AM »

???
You don't believe that people are sincere in what they say about Awake, but rather that they have formed a pro-KM cabal to further their goal of making Awake seem better than they really feel it to be?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
You don't believe that everyone is sincere in what they say about Awake, but rather that some have formed a pro-KM or anti-KM cabal to further their goal of making Awake seem better or worse than they really feel it to be?

This.  This is a typical internet fanbase scenario IMO.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:28 AM »

I didn't know KM was out until the release of A Change of Seasons.

Exactly.  I first heard DT in 1996 (with Awake as my introduction).  Their most current release at the time, though, was ACOS, which is similar in keyboard style to I&W, so when I soon reached I&W in the back-catalogue, it didn't sound that much different from ACOS.  Of course, FII was different, but we're getting too far afield...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »
You don't believe that everyone is sincere in what they say about Awake, but rather that some have formed a pro-KM or anti-KM cabal to further their goal of making Awake seem better or worse than they really feel it to be?

This.  This is a typical internet fanbase scenario IMO.
I think you are mistaken.

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2010, 10:57:03 AM »
They're not particularly good, no. But I don't think they're any worse than the vast majority of lyrics they've been putting out on the last few albums.
This

I really like Awake. A lot. Very consistent quality, probably some of the best lyrics in the band's career, and just overall really good. Only thing I don't care for is Jame's singing style on the album. I know I'm going to get hung for that one, but it just sounds too forced and unnatural at times.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »

It sounds like you already have your mind made up, and you are going to believe whatever you want to, regardless of what I, hef, or anyone else says, so have fun with that. :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2010, 12:53:04 PM »
You're right.  I'm just stubborn and stuck in my ways and have no reason for feeling the way I do  :tup

Is there anything else you'd like me to tell you you're right about today?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:00:39 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2010, 01:03:55 PM »
You're right.  I'm just stubborn and stuck in my ways and have no reason for feeling the way I do  :tup

Is there anything else you'd like me to tell you you're right about today?

Aw, I liked your original post better.  Chastising me for being sarcastic, and then throwing some sarcasm back at me in your edit...That is quality, man.  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

To answer your question, not at the moment, but if something comes to me, you will be the first person I tell.  :coolio

And please note that I mean no harm or have no ill will. :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 01:43:17 PM »
Why on earth are you talking to me about a post I edited?  Is this some contest to look cool on the internet?  Let it go.  Along with the notion that Awake and the songs on it ever win the top spot on fan polls.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 02:38:47 PM »
Oh great, another derailed thread in the name of KM.  :lolpalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »
Not hard considering PC made that blatant, juicy bait statement.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 04:27:49 PM »
You all suck and Awake kicks ass. Fuck you. :metal

Offline SilentFox

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2010, 04:29:02 PM »
^
That, exactly.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »
Not hard considering PC made that blatant, juicy bait statement.

I don't get how I'm the one baiting when I just said my opinion and moved on. I didn't quote anyone in my initial post nor did I question anyone's opinions or try to invalidate them.  It's not like I called anyone else or their opinions "backwards," "paranoid," or "stubborn;" nor did I remind anyone that their opinion (obviously) was "just an opinion" as if the truth were out there somewhere else.  People said those things to me.  So how am I the one who is baiting?  Is it because you disagree with my initial opinion you wanna blame this mess on me?

I absolutely love Awake.  I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I didn't.  Awake is fantastic.  I think it's definitely overhyped by a small minority who more often than not unite behind it and are disappointed with post Kevin DT, but that doesn't take away from it's awesomeness.  

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 06:38:56 PM »
Listen, PC, I know you're an intelligent person as are most of us here so when you slap

on the end of a reasonable argument don't get mad at me for calling you out. You know mentioning Kevin stirs up a hornets nest and how pigeon holing everyone who adores Awake with a sentence like that provokes similar reactions. Come on, man, I figured you would've known better than that.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2010, 06:51:56 PM »
I know what you mean, but I honestly stand by what I said and don't think I was out of line.  If Kevin hadn't left Dream Theater, fans would probably have thought differently about Awake.  The controversy surrounding Kevin leaving, the real (or perceived) change in the direction of the band, and how that has brutally divided the fanbase has consequences. People who come online and discover that there's this rift between fans tend to see Awake as the last good DT album before things started going downhill.  If it weren't for the internet fans, people probably wouldn't know the rift was even there and would probably be less inclined to feel that they should have some strong (positive/negative) feelings about Awake.