Author Topic: Discovering "Awake"  (Read 25342 times)

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
Re: Discovering "Awake"
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:44 AM »
Okay let's do this:

1. Space-Dye Vest
2. The Mirror
3. 6:00
4. Scarred
5. The Silent Man
6. Innocence Faded
7. Caught In A Web
8. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
9. Lie
10. Erotomania
11. Voices

FUCK THIS WHORE

:P

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2013, 09:37:53 AM »
I know :marriageanalogy:

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2013, 09:42:04 AM »
My rankings for Awake would be...

1. The Mirror
2. Voices
3. Caught In A Web
4. Scarred
5. 6:00
6. The Silent Man
7. Innocence Faded
8. Erotomania
9. Space Dye Vest
10. Lie
11. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
Every time this album comes up as a topic I tell this story...

My first exposure to Dream Theater was "Images & Words" around 1992-ish

That album just completely blew my mind.  I listened to it over and over for months and months.

When "Awake" came out, I bought it and HATED it!  I wanted "Images & Words II"   "Awake" was such a different sounding album.  I just never took the time to get to know it.  Fast forward a few years and one day I'm looking through the CDs at the record store and I see "Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory" and I was THRILLED!!  :eek   

For the next several months, the only thing in my CD player was SFAM.  I had not even bothered to purchase "Falling Into Infinity"

Around the time that they released "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" I saw them in concert for the first time and it was "An Evening With Dream Theater" and they did a few tunes from "Awake" including "Erotomania" "Voices" and an epic version of "The Silent Man" and I was blown dafuq outta my seat  :eek   :eek   :eek   :hefdaddy

For the next three months the only disc I listened to was "Awake" and pretty soon it was in my top 3 where it is today.  :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
Awesome, Kirk!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
Awesome story Kirk!
It was a "difficult" album for me also.
I was blown away as Kirk with Images And Words, after that I was blown away with ACOS and my third purchase was Awake.. I was baffled!
I was trying to appreciate it but I found it a strange difficult album and one day it just clicked!!
It's still in my holy trinity of DT albums to this day.
A masterpiece beyond belief!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
I really think "Awake" is the definition of a "creeper" album.   :hat 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »
I think 'Voices' might be my favorite JP solo ever (within a song that is, not something like 'Goodnight Kiss' which almost centers around is and is otherworldly amazing). In that 'Voices' solo I almost get a bluesy vibe..'I'm feelin' ya bro!'.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »
Awake is what got me into Dream Theater.

Back when it came out I heard "Lie" on the radio and thought it sounded neat.  The DJ didn't announce the name of the band so I didn't know who it was until I heard it again and they finally said the name.  (this was before the internet)

I went to the local CD and bought it.  It was pretty amazing.  My dad was a big Yes fan and he walked in during Scarred and thought it was awesome.  I bought all of their albums on release day since.

(Side note - I ordered Images and Words through Columbia House and liked it a lot too.  I found out that they had another CD before that and finally tracked down an Import of "When Dream and Day Unite" and paid good money for it.  I had no idea that the singer was different until I heard his voice.  I remember being very disappointed that James wasn't singing and thought Charlie sounded like a Steve Perry wannabe. hahaha.  I liked the songs but never could get into Charlie's voice.)

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »
My favorite DT album  :heart

1. Voices (A+)
2. Erotomania (A)
3. The Mirror (A)
4. The Silent Man (as you can see, the A Mind Beside Itself trilogy is highly regarded  :) ) (A)
5. Innocence Faded (B+)
6. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (B+)
7. Scarred (B)
8. Space-Dye Vest (B)
9. Lie (B)
10. Caught in a Web (B-)
11. 6:00 (B-)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2016, 11:47:44 AM »
Happy 22nd anniversary to Awake!  An incredible album from start to finish with a closing track that still gives me chills even after all these years. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »
Happy 22nd anniversary to my all-time DT fave!

B.Lee
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:43:54 PM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »
Spider-Man is so awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Art

« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »
Happy Birthday Awake :heart

Top 3 or top 2 DT album for me. :tup

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2016, 11:51:44 PM »
I love Awake, but I don't understand how it can be considered a definitive album, a good starting point, or the band's best album.  It produced a couple "classic" DT songs and a handful of good ones (like most DT albums do) but it was not their "Golden Age."  For every great moment on Awake, there's another that sounds completely awkward and forced. I think people's attachment toward Kevin may have had more to do with all the Awake luvin that goes on than anything else.

I can't agree. I love Awake, and it wasn't until SFAM that I even paid attention to the names of the band members, so I certainly wasn't pining for the "old school".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »
Well, it's a comment from 6 years ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2016, 02:16:57 AM »
"I don't know about you, but I'm feelin' 22." - Awake

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »
Became a fan after seeing the band in 2003.  Bought 'Six Degrees', fell in love with Disc 2, and then purchased I&W and 'Awake'.  I rank it high up, it has its weak points (to me), but 'Erotomania' is easily a Top 15 favorite DT track.  My version for the past six years or so, and still give it a spin 2-4 times a year, is

6:00
Caught in a Web 
To Live Forever
Erotomania 
Voices 
The Silent Man
Lie  (45 edit)
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream 
Scarred 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:33:24 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2016, 07:52:05 AM »
Scarred is probably my all time favorite Dream Theater song. Love everything about it.  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2016, 08:53:50 AM »
I have nothing but unconditional love and unmitigated praise for Awake, it will always rank along with SFAM and the obvious I&W at the top of my favoritr DT albums  :hefdaddy :tup

Awake contains the song that made me go "Hey, these guys aren't actually bad" - The Mirror. My cousin had tastes more developed by me at the end of the previous millennium and he sneaked DT songs to fill up cassette tapes he was doing for me, and The Mirror, 4 months after I thought it was a bad song, finally clicked and started the avalanche effect of me discovering DT.

The whole album is great from start to finish, I'm absolutely taken by every side of this record: the songs, the sound, James being a badass kickass singer with his raspy vocals  :metal, EVERYTHING.

Voices also is one of my all time DT favorite songs, right there with Metropolis. I couldn't even offer a proper ranking 'cause I think all the songs are equally awesome, and I would never get tired of this album.

Hail and praise Awake!  :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »
I have nothing but unconditional love and unmitigated praise for Awake, it will always rank along with SFAM and the obvious I&W at the top of my favoritr DT albums  :hefdaddy :tup

Awake contains the song that made me go "Hey, these guys aren't actually bad" - The Mirror. My cousin had tastes more developed by me at the end of the previous millennium and he sneaked DT songs to fill up cassette tapes he was doing for me, and The Mirror, 4 months after I thought it was a bad song, finally clicked and started the avalanche effect of me discovering DT.

The whole album is great from start to finish, I'm absolutely taken by every side of this record: the songs, the sound, James being a badass kickass singer with his raspy vocals  :metal, EVERYTHING.

Voices also is one of my all time DT favorite songs, right there with Metropolis. I couldn't even offer a proper ranking 'cause I think all the songs are equally awesome, and I would never get tired of this album.

Hail and praise Awake!  :hefdaddy

That sums it up for me!  :metal

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2016, 04:04:08 AM »
Awake is the only DT album I honestly go back to annually, everything else is way more rarer for me nowadays.
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!