Author Topic: Mass Effect (merged thread)  (Read 67833 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Mass Effect (merged thread)
« Reply #770 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
Me too! Preorderd and paid off my copy already. One more week!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #771 on: March 14, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
Ok, since I skipped PS3 altogether, I've never played ME.  However, I will be getting ME:A.  Hopefully the first 3 installments will be remastered for PS4.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #772 on: March 14, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
Hopefully the first 3 installments will be remastered for PS4.
Seems like a real no-brainer. EA are notoriously money-grabbing, so I can't see any downside for anyone.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #773 on: March 15, 2017, 06:23:04 AM »
At some point over the last couple of days, reviewers started posting streams of the first couple of hours of the game. I watched one of the streams last night and the game looks amazing. I'm really excited now!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #774 on: March 15, 2017, 06:32:46 AM »
I'm really happy it's getting so much positive feedback but there is no way I'm spoiling anything for myself. I am SO damn excited for this! :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #775 on: March 15, 2017, 07:26:09 AM »
I'm really happy it's getting so much positive feedback but there is no way I'm spoiling anything for myself. I am SO damn excited for this! :metal
It's an interesting dilemma. The thing I'm most interested in is story/narrative/characters, which are what made the original trilogy so great. So I kinda want to know about that, but I also don't want to see any spoilers!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #776 on: March 16, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »
It's an interesting dilemma. The thing I'm most interested in is story/narrative/characters, which are what made the original trilogy so great. So I kinda want to know about that, but I also don't want to see any spoilers!
Don't do it! It's way more fun finding out about that stuff for yourself. :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #777 on: March 16, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
Don't do it! It's way more fun finding out about that stuff for yourself. :biggrin:
Well I meant I want to know what it's like, whether it's any good, etc. without the specifics that would spoil anything.

I dunno, I want to replay the original trilogy first anyway, so that'll probably take me a few weeks. Then I'll need to decide whether I want to just go ahead and get it on PC (got a good graphics card but processor is getting a bit old now and can't cope with some of the busier new games), or wait until I get a PS4.

TOO HARD TO DECIDE

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #778 on: March 16, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »
I played Uncharted 4 first and then went back to play the remastered trilogy.  There were a few spoilers but nothing significant.  It was actually fun to go back and see how everything came together and why they did certain things in the 4th game.  For me, the gameplay is way more important than the story anyway.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #779 on: March 16, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
I'm gonna have to finally play these games. Been watching just regular gameplay and no story elements of it and it looks amazingly fun and immersive. I loved what I played of the first but took a break from games for a while and now that I'm back with a vengeance, I think I'll have to play the series.

I'll want to play them even if it's not required but does anyone know if this is heavily linked to the past games or is this kind of a reboot type situation?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #780 on: March 16, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
It's more of a reboot-type situation. No knowledge of prior games required. :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #781 on: March 16, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »
It's more of a reboot-type situation. No knowledge of prior games required. :tup
From what I've heard there'll be odd references, but yeah otherwise this is a new story. The original trilogy was very much like a movie trilogy - essentially a single story in three parts.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #782 on: March 17, 2017, 12:45:23 AM »
From the trailers I"ve seen and the reviews I've read this looks like a disaster.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-internet-is-brutally-mocking-mass-effect-andromedas-animations

:lol :rollin :lol :facepalm:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #783 on: March 17, 2017, 04:11:06 AM »
The original games got mocked for some of the facial animations and moments of dialogue, so I'm not worried about that unless they turn out to be prevalent throughout the game.

As for bugs, I find them really annoying but it also seems to be standard for new games these days. It's one of the reasons I pretty much never buy new games on release and wait a bit for bugs to be ironed out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #784 on: March 17, 2017, 04:19:08 AM »
Yeah, not sure why that qualifies it as a "disaster". Horizon Zero Dawn had huge problems with lip synching and some minor problems with facial animations as well, but nobody chose to focus on that so why Mass Effect gets so much shit for it is beyond me.

I'm still sure it's going to be fine game. :)

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #785 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10:16 AM »
I think Bioware could have waited a couple of months, and fix the issues with the animations etc...

I wouldn't have minded to wait a little longer.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #786 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:02 AM »
Yeah, not sure why that qualifies it as a "disaster". Horizon Zero Dawn had huge problems with lip synching and some minor problems with facial animations as well, but nobody chose to focus on that so why Mass Effect gets so much shit for it is beyond me.
Well, in fairness "disaster" was Abydos's word - as far as I can tell the article and the tweets etc it quotes are more mockery, which is fair game!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #787 on: March 17, 2017, 07:43:42 AM »
I think Bioware could have waited a couple of months, and fix the issues with the animations etc...

I wouldn't have minded to wait a little longer.
Yeah unfortunately this seems to be the norm now. We discussed this a little while ago in the video games thread, but it's probably because 1. games are that much more complex now, making it easier for bugs/errors to creep in, and 2. online connectivity makes it so easy to release updates/patches that there's less need to get it exactly right first time.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #788 on: March 17, 2017, 08:40:03 AM »
Those are hilarious and yeah if you want to get super serious and straight faced about it, acting like we're talking about a serious issue and not about a friggin' video game, it's embarassing for the company and should be something the devs ironed out a long while back and/or someone should have piped up and said "hey this shits weird y'all". Overall though if someone feels like this is a game ruining thing...to each their own, but that's pretty silly. If anything it adds an unintentional aspect of comedy.

Now if the glitches and bad animations affect gameplay then it's a totally different story. But other than a few serious story moments being made slightly comedic, I can't see why this should ruin the game in any fashion.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #789 on: March 17, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »
Yeah, the lip sync thing is somewhat annoying but definitely not a game breaker.  Look at FFX.  That game had serious issues with dialogue and video matching and yet it's one of the best RPG's of all time.

They've come a long way since then.  I've seen some issues in Horizon Zero Dawn but most of it is tits on.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #790 on: March 17, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »
Now if the glitches and bad animations affect gameplay then it's a totally different story. But other than a few serious story moments being made slightly comedic, I can't see why this should ruin the game in any fashion.
For me, the vibe would also be ruined if those glitches are really pervasive throughout the game, even if they don't affect gameplay. I'm really big on story/narrative, and I think that would be jarring.

But if it's just occasional then I'm not fussed, I feel like that happens in most games in my experience.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #791 on: March 17, 2017, 03:19:56 PM »
PewDiePie's video on this is pretty hilarious as well. At least now we know that if the game is not great it will at least be so bad that it will be good :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #792 on: March 19, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »
I'd forgotten how much of Mass Effect 1 you spend standing in elevators. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #793 on: March 20, 2017, 01:42:34 AM »
Sadly, it looks like Andromeda is getting lambasted by reviewers across the board..

What i've heard is that the writing is inconsistant, and the story is disappointing. The latter is sad news to me, since the original trilogy was not only the best story driven video game experience ever, but also one of the best Sci-Fi stories ever period!

I honestly didn't mind the problems with the animations all that much, i only wanted the story to live up to the originals.

My excitement has taken a bit of a hit after this..

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #794 on: March 20, 2017, 03:19:00 AM »
The biggest thing I've taken from the the review and early beta testers is you no longer control your squad mates in a proper way like the old ME games, and the AI isn't great so they often do stupid things.

Yeah this look like the first real letdown of the year.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #795 on: March 20, 2017, 06:10:19 AM »
I think that the reviews have helped temper my expectations. Instead of a game that I will fall in love with and replay many times in the years to come, I am instead anticipating a game that I will "merely" enjoy. If I end up loving it, perfect, but I won't be disheartened if that's not the case. :corn

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #796 on: March 20, 2017, 09:11:43 AM »
Reviewers and critics are full O' shit.  Don't pay attention.  Never "expect" good or bad.  Play the game and decide for yourself if you like it or not.  I'm looking forward to this game.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #797 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
I think that the reviews have helped temper my expectations. Instead of a game that I will fall in love with and replay many times in the years to come, I am instead anticipating a game that I will "merely" enjoy. If I end up loving it, perfect, but I won't be disheartened if that's not the case. :corn

That's where I'm at. It was always going to be a nearly impossible task to better the original trilogy, specifically the first game which is my favorite game of all time. 2 & 3 were good but still didn't touch the awesomeness of the original. The biggest concern for me is the negativity around the characters and dialogue. BioWare has owned this aspect in their past games and it seems that the quality is not what it once was. I was really disappointed by Dragon Age Inquisition. The technical issues don't bother me as much because that seems to be a common trend today and will resolve it self with patches.

Part of me wonders how much of these issues are really issues or if the reviewers are just comparing the characters, story, etc. the original trilogy. It sounds like the game is still fun and the story is good, just not great. Either way I'm still excited to play it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #798 on: March 20, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »
My understanding was that reviews were only based on the first few hours? So any comment on gameplay, animation etc. is fair play but I can't see how they'd be able to comment on the story. Or am I misremembering?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #799 on: March 20, 2017, 02:07:55 PM »
Some of the reviews I read sounded like they completed the game.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #800 on: March 20, 2017, 02:11:48 PM »
Some of the reviews I read sounded like they completed the game.
Ah ok. Could be there are some more recent ones that are more complete, perhaps. I'm sure there was something about the early reviews being only on the opening few hours.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #801 on: March 20, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
Man, I had really high hopes for this.  :sad:

Well, I guess I will wait for it to drop in price a little before picking it up, but I am definitely still going to try and play through it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #802 on: March 21, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »
I will be playing tonight so I'll share some first impressions tomorrow. Despite the lackluster reviews I'm still really looking forward to this!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #803 on: March 21, 2017, 01:57:43 PM »
I will be playing tonight so I'll share some first impressions tomorrow. Despite the lackluster reviews I'm still really looking forward to this!
I'll be more interested to hear full impressions once you've made significant headway into the game, but first impressions are cool too. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #804 on: March 21, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
While I've seen many people disagree with this, the general consensus, at least among the reviews I've read, is that the first five or so hours of the game are really slow. Just a head's up in case you start to feel discouraged after the first couple of missions. I've actually watched the first couple of hours online, and they looked awesome to me, but I think it's worth mentioning.