Author Topic: Mass Effect (merged thread)  (Read 67875 times)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: Mass Effect (merged thread)
« Reply #840 on: May 08, 2017, 07:19:59 AM »
So, after almost 70 hours, I'm finally done with this game. (This post will seem a bit negative, but I assure you, I enjoyed the game! Otherwise I wouldn't spent 70 hours playing it! Also, I'll keep this spoiler-free.)

Yeah, it's a good game and definitly worth playing. However, it's nowhere near the original trilogy. But we all knew that was going to be one hell of an obstacle to climb and BioWare was probably wise to try and make the focus a bit different this time around.

The story and the dialogue are probably what I'm most disappointed in. They have two entirelly different moods going on at any giving time - the first one is the current crisis where the entirety of the Milky Way races could face extinction...and then you have the weird happy, adventuring mood going on, where the characters talk and act like they're exploring the frontier but still have their home safe and sound they can always return to. I just wanted to scream at them "YOU DON'T, TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY FOR FUCK SAKE!" :lol

The highs of the story are still high. However, it speaks a lot about the former glory of the series when it was the references to the originals that made me the most excited. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #841 on: May 09, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »
The story and the dialogue are probably what I'm most disappointed in. They have two entirelly different moods going on at any giving time - the first one is the current crisis where the entirety of the Milky Way races could face extinction...and then you have the weird happy, adventuring mood going on, where the characters talk and act like they're exploring the frontier but still have their home safe and sound they can always return to. I just wanted to scream at them "YOU DON'T, TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY FOR FUCK SAKE!" :lol
To be fair, there's quite a lot of that in the original trilogy. Never really bothered me much, tonal consistency is a challenge with all RPGs but I accept it as the other side of the coin to the freedom, flexibility and immersion that the genre offers. Haven't played Andromeda yet though, so can't comment on this game specifically.

Glad to hear it's a solid game overall though, the patches so far seem to have been well-received so I decided to go ahead and get the game! I might wait just a little bit before I start playing because there seems to be an expectation that the next major patch is likely to be released very soon, so I might as well wait for that if it means the experience will be improved.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #842 on: May 10, 2017, 03:39:46 AM »
The patches so far has been solid so it's probably a good idea. The latest one fixed a lot of the facial animations problems, and even redid a couple of scenes entirely.  :tup Bioware sure is good at listening to its audience.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #843 on: May 10, 2017, 04:00:28 AM »
Definitely. The ending of Mass Effect 3 was amazing on my recent re-play with DLC, extended cut, etc.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #844 on: May 10, 2017, 08:39:42 AM »
The patches so far has been solid so it's probably a good idea. The latest one fixed a lot of the facial animations problems, and even redid a couple of scenes entirely.  :tup Bioware sure is good at listening to its audience.

Good to hear..

I might pick this up later, when they have introduced more patches and other bug fixes.

My expectations have been lowered however. What i have heard about the story and the characters, has me seriously worried. :\

But, who knows? I always thought that the trilogy would be an impossible act to follow, but maybe i'll be surprised?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #845 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:57 AM »
Yeah I've always been excited about the game because it's Bioware, and I like their style and think they have a fantastically consistent track record. But the original trilogy was something else, and I never really expected that the new game would capture the same magic. As long as it's enjoyable and engaging like all Bioware games are, I know I'll dig it plenty, and I'm perfectly comfortable with not completely falling in love with it like the original trilogy.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #846 on: May 10, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
The original trilogy is so great. Just thinking about it gets me all excited.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #847 on: May 11, 2017, 03:48:56 AM »
The original trilogy is so great. Just thinking about it gets me all excited.
I know, right? I still think to this day that the scene in the first game where you're first talking to an actual Reaper is one of the coolest scenes in video game history. It's so perfectly written and executed. <3

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #848 on: May 13, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
The only thing playing ME andromeda has made me want to do is replay ME 1,2 and 3. Im trying really hard to like this game but its so.... i dunno. Boring.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #849 on: May 13, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
I loved the first ME and worshiped the second one. Those are two of my favorite games ever, but I was a little disappointed by 3. It probably was franchise fatigue in a way, but I never even bothered finishing it.

Andromeda on the other hand I was truly looking forward to, so its very disappointing to hear about all of its short comings. I was ready to buy it day one, but after hearing all the shit, I put that money toward other games. I'll pick up andromeda when it gets a little cheaper in price.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #850 on: May 14, 2017, 08:24:11 AM »
One underrated aspect of the original trilogy is its music. It's not Star Wars-caliber good, but it's about as close as a video game has ever gotten, in my opinion. The ME1 credits song, the ME2 suicide mission song, and the ME3 ending song are all amazing. :metal

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #851 on: May 14, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »
One underrated aspect of the original trilogy is its music. It's not Star Wars-caliber good, but it's about as close as a video game has ever gotten, in my opinion. The ME1 credits song, the ME2 suicide mission song, and the ME3 ending song are all amazing. :metal

I'm glad you brought this up! I agree 100%.

Original trilogy has the most memorable music scores of any game franchise. Everything from the amazing credits song by Faunts in ME1, to the ending song in ME3.

Some of my personal favorites are:

End Credits in ME1
Vigil in ME1
Tali's Suite in ME2
Samara's Suite in ME2
I Was Lost Without You in ME3
A Future for the Krogan in ME3

I listened the Andromeda soundtrack from Spotify, and it was alright. But still, a far cry from the trilogy's music!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #852 on: May 23, 2017, 08:07:07 AM »
I finally finished Andromeda. 75 hours and ended at 94% completion. I thought the ending was disappointing. It was confusing and anticlimactic. Overall I'd still give the game 3 1/2 to 4 stars. I would play the original trilogy another 10 times but I have no urge to play Andromeda again.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #853 on: May 23, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »
I loved the first ME and worshiped the second one. Those are two of my favorite games ever, but I was a little disappointed by 3. It probably was franchise fatigue in a way, but I never even bothered finishing it.

Andromeda on the other hand I was truly looking forward to, so its very disappointing to hear about all of its short comings. I was ready to buy it day one, but after hearing all the shit, I put that money toward other games. I'll pick up andromeda when it gets a little cheaper in price.

I went out on a limb and bought the game with no expectations because I never played the preceding trilogy.  I think I played it for about an hour and haven't pick it up since.  Not saying it was bad.  Not saying it was good either.  Not really sure what to make of it.  Probably need to give it a few more hours I suppose.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #854 on: June 20, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »
Finished Andromeda, with about 75 hours play time. Really, really liked it. I didn't start playing until a number of patches had been released, plus another one was issued when I was around halfway through, so animation was tidied up and glitches were clearly heavily reduced. But other than that, I don't know what all the fuss was about or why people have disliked it. It takes a while to get into, both gameplay- and story-wise, but once it gets going it's great fun to play and the story and characters are solid.

Overall I'd say it's definitely not as good as ME 2 and 3, but I'd put it on a par with their other games. In comparison to ME1, the narrative isn't as tight, but it's a lot more fun to play, so on balance I rate it around the same level.

It also opens up lots of intriguing narrative arcs that I hope they explore either in DLC or sequels. I know EA said it's on hold for the time being, though that seemed to imply that they're simply not working on a follow up right now, but hopefully there'll at least be some DLC and they'll come back to it later on.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #855 on: July 02, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »
I stopped playing the game after 30 hours or so. I was getting a little bored with it, which I think had a little to do with the game itself and a little to do with video game overload in general. I think I'm going to start playing again soon, especially after reading that many of the game's early issues have been taken care of by patches.

On a sad note, I also read that the series is probably going on an indefinite hiatus. :sadpanda:

Edit: I just read a fascinating article about the development of the game (https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428). I would strongly recommend it. I feel terrible for the people at BioWare whose careers will probably be affected by Andromeda's commercial failure, even though it's not their fault. BioWare sounds like a mess right now. If the game was truly built in just 18 months... Man, that's tight. I have a lot of sympathy for those developers.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:31:09 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #856 on: July 02, 2017, 05:54:23 PM »
That's definitely a shame.

Mass effect 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games ever made, but andromeda really let me down. Its a mess of a game and its missing that spark that made the original trilogy so special. And also, all the SJW non-sense makes me nauseous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hLp0k4_UOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2DlFM1d3Ac

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #857 on: July 03, 2017, 09:18:52 AM »
What SJW nonsense? I couldn't last for than two minutes into the first video, and he seemed to blame the poor facial animation on them??

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #858 on: July 03, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »
I stopped playing the game after 30 hours or so. I was getting a little bored with it, which I think had a little to do with the game itself and a little to do with video game overload in general. I think I'm going to start playing again soon, especially after reading that many of the game's early issues have been taken care of by patches.

On a sad note, I also read that the series is probably going on an indefinite hiatus. :sadpanda:

Edit: I just read a fascinating article about the development of the game (https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428). I would strongly recommend it. I feel terrible for the people at BioWare whose careers will probably be affected by Andromeda's commercial failure, even though it's not their fault. BioWare sounds like a mess right now. If the game was truly built in just 18 months... Man, that's tight. I have a lot of sympathy for those developers.

It will be a true shame if they keep making dragon age but not mass effect.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #859 on: July 03, 2017, 10:58:53 AM »

This sounds like a combination of bad management, and an inexperienced development team without vision. The fact that this game was scrambled together in 18 months, shows in just about every aspect of the game!

What makes it more painful, is the fact that the premise of Andromeda was AWESOME. Venturing into a different galaxy, and meeting new and exciting aliens Captain Kirk style! That sounds Cool! They had it all laid out on a silver plate in front of them, and they managed to drop the ball so completely..

This could have been a great way to reboot the franchise after the ME3 Ending "Fiasco", instead they ended up digging the ME franchise even deeper into it's own grave.

It is indeed sad if Mass Effect goes out with such a low note. :sad:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #860 on: July 03, 2017, 12:37:53 PM »
What SJW nonsense? I couldn't last for than two minutes into the first video, and he seemed to blame the poor facial animation on them??
Yeah that video was a total mess, I have no idea what it was even going on about but it sounded like nonsense.

And in terms of how the game turned out, I didn't play it immediately so maybe some of the issues were patched by the time I got round to it, but I really don't see what all the fuss was about. In terms of story/narrative/characters, sure it wasn't as good as the original trilogy overall, but it was still solid and had some cracking stuff. In terms of gameplay, I'd say it's the most enjoyable of the series to actually play. As with so many things (like the ME3 ending) this all seems like a ludicrous overreaction.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #861 on: July 03, 2017, 12:48:46 PM »
Yeah that video was a total mess, I have no idea what it was even going on about but it sounded like nonsense.

And in terms of how the game turned out, I didn't play it immediately so maybe some of the issues were patched by the time I got round to it, but I really don't see what all the fuss was about. In terms of story/narrative/characters, sure it wasn't as good as the original trilogy overall, but it was still solid and had some cracking stuff. In terms of gameplay, I'd say it's the most enjoyable of the series to actually play. As with so many things (like the ME3 ending) this all seems like a ludicrous overreaction.

I agree. While I don't love the game, I also don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the gaming community is making it out to be. For example, if I had to rate it, I would say it's a 6 or 7/10. By contrast, it currently has like a 3/10 user rating over at Metacritic. That's absolutely insane to me.  I think the overreaction is a result of the following:

- A legitimately flawed game
- A studio that was already losing its fans because of the ME3 ending (which I also didn't feel was that bad)
- An online culture where there is a massive social benefit to trolling and rallying against a common enemy

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: September 14, 2017, 05:43:18 AM »
Finally got Andromeda, have been waiting to get in the mood after all the negative press at launch and after. Figured since I enjoyed 1 and 2 it can't be that bad. I also longed for playing a game like ME after I was done with The Expanse S02.
Just an hour in so not much to say yet however it's very hard to ignore the goofy character animations, it's so bad at times especially the character your playing but i'm willing to ignore that and focus on story and gameplay which seems alright so far.
Other than that the graphics looks overall really good which makes it a bit weird why the facial animations look they way they are.
Yay the holster animations are back, that alone makes everything alright!  :biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #863 on: September 14, 2017, 07:09:25 AM »
The animations should look basically fine now that they've patched the game a couple of times. Certainly when I played it (which was a little while after release when it had already been patched at least once to improve the animations) I didn't have any issues with the animations.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #864 on: September 14, 2017, 07:27:36 AM »
Well, they went in and handcrafted the most obvious/infamous ones. But they can't do that with every conversation, and the fixes for the rest of them are more general. In a perfect world, they would go in all Naughty Dog style into every conversation but that's not really practical in a RPG.
That being said, I played it near launch and have only seen some comparision videos on YouTube after that.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #865 on: September 14, 2017, 07:37:52 AM »
They updated the algorithm for general conversations (random chats, minor side quests etc.) as well, so while they weren't especially realistic, they weren't bad either, they were merely functional.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #866 on: September 14, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
The animations should look basically fine now that they've patched the game a couple of times. Certainly when I played it (which was a little while after release when it had already been patched at least once to improve the animations) I didn't have any issues with the animations.
Haven't played before so i'm only going on first impression. It might be better than before but I still think the facial animations looks goofy at times, almost cartoony.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #867 on: September 15, 2017, 12:57:09 AM »
Haven't played before so i'm only going on first impression. It might be better than before but I still think the facial animations looks goofy at times, almost cartoony.
Yeah, I agree. I would even say the very first Mass Effect looked much better in that area. A lot more stiff, yeah, but it never took me out of the moment the way Andromeda's face animations does.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #868 on: September 25, 2017, 04:02:47 PM »
I saw this thread pop up and had a random thought:

If BioWare decided to make Mass Effect 4 - a game set after the events of Mass Effect 3 - what do you think the best way to do so would be? To avoid having to deal with too many variables, I think that they would need to go the same route as Legend of Zelda where they run with one of the possible ME3 endings and frame it in terms of "one of many possible timelines". I think that would be an acceptable way to avoid labeling anything as canon while still picking a direction. Perhaps they explore a Mass Effect universe post-Destroy ending, where everything is in shambles and you need to figure out how to get the galaxy back on track.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #869 on: September 25, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »
They could even bring in parallel universe concepts (classic sci-fi) and make all the ME3 endings canon, but you're playing primarily within one timeline.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #870 on: September 26, 2017, 03:29:05 AM »
They could even bring in parallel universe concepts (classic sci-fi) and make all the ME3 endings canon, but you're playing primarily within one timeline.
That would actually be fun - not a lot of sci fi games explore that concept. :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #871 on: September 26, 2017, 07:48:12 AM »
True, more common in TV and movies, I guess it's a pretty tricky/complex thing to build into games.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #872 on: September 26, 2017, 08:00:45 AM »
Even though I didn't really like Andromeda, I still very much love the series so I really hope they are able to come back strong with another entry in the series, whenever that may be.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #873 on: September 28, 2017, 12:30:35 AM »
I hope there is another entry in the series, wouldn't even mind a sequel to Andromeda. The idea for Andromeda was awesome, but the execution left much to be desired..

This is just me spitballing, but Mass Effect movie would be a perfect way to bring the series back IMO!

With the recent return of Star Wars and the smash hit Guardians of the Galaxy has been, now would be the perfect time to make a Mass Effect Movie.

Make an adaptation of the first game's story, and get some top screenwriting and directing talent. Someone like Dennis Villeneuve.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #874 on: October 24, 2017, 07:50:29 AM »
I'm going through a bit of a rough patch right now, so I was thinking of things to do that would be fun. Then it hit me - It's been a couple of years since I played the first Mass Effect. Why not replay it, and perhaps even push through all the way to the end of the third game? I haven't played the second game in ages either, and I last played the third game about 18 months ago.

Strap in, fellas. This is going to be fun... For me...  :lol