Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146677 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #910 on: July 01, 2015, 08:10:04 AM »
They posted their first track on FB this morning - Tides of Time.  Can't seem to get a direct link, because it's a Soundcloud embedded link, and it doesn't seem to be public yet at Soundcloud.com.  So, go to their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/spocksbeard?fref=nf

Likin the sound if this.  Very Ryo-heavy.

https://soundcloud.com/officialinsideoutmusic/spocks-beard-tides-of-time/s-80IYe#t=0:00

Offline Mladen

« Reply #911 on: July 01, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »
It's very all over the place musically, definitely needs MUCH more than only one spin.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #912 on: July 01, 2015, 09:43:03 AM »
Love what I've heard after just one spin. I remember hearing bits of this when they posted a video of Jimmy tracking his drum part after the softer middle section, where he comes in with a sweet groove that sounds like a lot of mixed-meter stuff going on.

Definitely a good opener for the album, in the same vein as "On A Perfect Day", just a slightly different vibe and with more keyboards than guitars, but I don't mind hearing more keys, which are very important to the SB sound. Glad to hear Al is still ripping away at his guitar, and having both him and Ted on guitar is a huge asset to the band as well.

Looking forward to this album in August! So much good music this summer, between this and the new Symphony X and Riverside, as well as others.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #913 on: July 01, 2015, 10:01:29 AM »
This is the song they played at RoSfest.  I like it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #914 on: July 01, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »
3:53 of Tides of Time reminds me of a passage at a similar point in Within An Inch by Enchant, off their last album The Great Divide.

Really looking forward to this album, although it'll take a few listens for me to get into this new song. As Mladen says, it's a bit all over the place musically. Hard to get your bearings with just a single listen.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: July 23, 2015, 08:21:02 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #916 on: July 23, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »

Gettin excited for the album
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #917 on: July 23, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »
Not bad. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #918 on: July 26, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »
Sounds pretty cool.  If the new album is even close to as good as the last two, which are two of their best, I'll be happy.  :hat

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #919 on: July 26, 2015, 09:21:25 AM »
I liked the previous one better, this one was OK. Either way, I'll give the album a whirl when it comes out.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #920 on: July 27, 2015, 05:56:32 AM »
Have been a fan since I first heard Snow,and have since collected their back catalogue.All special albums,but was wondering who do you think was/is the best vocalist? Morse,D'Virgilio or current vocalist Ted Leonard? My vote goes to Neal Morse,but they're all great!

Online kaos2900

« Reply #921 on: July 27, 2015, 07:53:03 AM »
Favorite vocalist is hard question. They're all awesome but for Spock's Beard I'll go with Ted.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #922 on: July 27, 2015, 10:14:41 AM »
It's gotta be Neal. I like Nick quite a bit as well, and Ted is absolutely amazing, the future looks bright with him on vocals. But yeah, still Neal.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: July 27, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »
Neal >= Ted > Nick
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #924 on: August 07, 2015, 01:26:16 PM »
Had my promo of the album for about a week now, and here's my review: https://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/spocks-beard-the-oblivion-particle/

In summary, it's a real grower and a very solid album overall. Personally I prefer BNADS, but that's up there as one of my favourite SB albums as I'm a sucker for big melodies which that album is absolutely full of. Oblivion Particle isn't as immediate, but it's got so much great stuff on it and gets better and better with each listen.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #925 on: August 07, 2015, 02:35:55 PM »
I know I'm interrupting the new-album talk, but I have to say I am loving Harm's Way atm. I bought The Kindness of Strangers a few weeks ago, and I hadn't heard anything from it apart from June and Flow pre-purchase. As a whole, it hasn't really shot up my rankings, but it's still a great album.

On the new album, I really enjoyed your review, ariich. First one I've read of TOP. 2 weeks until release day!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #926 on: August 10, 2015, 02:46:07 AM »
For anyone interested, I interviewed Jimmy Keegan last weekend and had an aawesome 28 minute discussion. IF you check it out, I hope you dig it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWVD8O_SJB8
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #927 on: August 10, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »
For anyone interested, I interviewed Jimmy Keegan last weekend and had an aawesome 28 minute discussion. IF you check it out, I hope you dig it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWVD8O_SJB8

Probably the easiest interview ever, Jimmy is so damn easy to talk to. Hell of a nice guy too.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #928 on: August 10, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »
I've been listening to Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep lately.  This is really good.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #929 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:37 PM »
I've been listening to Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep lately.  This is really good.
Yep, it's in my car CD player as we speak.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #930 on: August 10, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep is definitely great.  Afterthoughts is pretty abysmal, but the bonus tracks more than make up for it, making 10 of the 11 total songs (counting Something Very Strange only once, obviously) major winners. :tup :tup

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #931 on: August 10, 2015, 10:57:01 PM »
Afterthoughts is one of my favorite songs on the album.  :sad:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: August 11, 2015, 07:30:53 AM »
I'm with Kev on this one... I find Afterthoughts to be mediocre at best.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: August 11, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »
Sorry for the double post but ...

Spock's Beard have launched the second lyric video to be taken from 'The Oblivion Particle' for the track 'Bennett Built A Time Machine'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFzL7rMajY&feature=youtu.be

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: August 11, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »

Spock's Beard have launched the second lyric video to be taken from 'The Oblivion Particle' for the track 'Bennett Built A Time Machine'.

The lyric about "single spaced on a legal pad" is so cringy for me.  Feels so forced.

Being sung by Jimmy is pretty nice though.  He's got a decent set of pipes.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #935 on: August 11, 2015, 11:12:08 AM »
I'm with Kev on this one... I find Afterthoughts to be mediocre at best.

The vocal arrangement and performance is well done, but after the other "Thoughts" entries on earlier albums, it feels like something of a rehash.  Not entirely, but kinda.  As a standalone piece, I think it's fine, but it's hard not to hear how they've tried to do another piece in a similar vein to earlier (and IMO better) tunes.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #936 on: August 11, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »

FWI, never have to apologize for useful double posts. That's only frowned upon if done in a spammy manner.

Look forward to checking this track out when I get home.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #937 on: August 11, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »
The new song is...interesting. Beautiful sung by Jimmy and everyone performed well, especially Dave's bass playing in the middle of the song. But the lyrics... my god, the lyrics. They're.... well, a bit cringe-worthy in spots, but it's not anything out of the ordinary for SB, especially considering some of Neal's lyrics during his tenure with the band.

"Tides Of Time" is the only one that's gotten me really excited so far, of the 3 songs released, so I'm hoping the whole album experience improves the songs a bit. It feels a BIT tired in spots, and very predictable - heavy opening, catchy chorus, slowed-down/toned-down middle section with a solo or two, then back to the chorus at the end with a rompous outro. That's about it. I'm hoping there's a bit more variety across the whole album.

Either way, I cannot wait to received my pre-order from Burning Shed at the end of the month, complete with bonus track!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: August 11, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »
Either way, I cannot wait to received my pre-order from Burning Shed at the end of the month, complete with bonus track!

-Marc.

I ordered my Media Book direct from SB's page.. hopefully I was one of the first 100 to get a signed card or whatever.  And yeah the bonus track.

And yes, the lyrics are cringe worthy on this one.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #939 on: August 11, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »
Hmm, my first impression, honestly, was that it was nice enough, cool to hear Jimmy sing, but the song itself is something that Arjen Lucassen could have farted out on a lazy day.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #940 on: August 11, 2015, 03:03:45 PM »
Yeah, like I said in my review it's a pleasant song but pretty standard. Definitely one of the weaker tracks on the album, in my opinion, notable only due to Jimmy's singing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #941 on: August 11, 2015, 06:09:23 PM »

The lyric about "single spaced on a legal pad" is so cringy for me.  Feels so forced
Honestly lyrics have been one of their weak points since Neal left. At best the lyrics are unremarkable and at worst they're downright cringey.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #942 on: August 11, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
With bands like Spock's Beard, the lyrics to me are like a nice bonus if they're good, but I'm in it primarily for the music.  When there are vocals, half the time I'm not even listening to the words anyway.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #943 on: August 12, 2015, 05:43:28 AM »
With bands like Spock's Beard, the lyrics to me are like a nice bonus if they're good, but I'm in it primarily for the music.  When there are vocals, half the time I'm not even listening to the words anyway.

Many prog lyrics make little sense if you take them literally, so I imagine many prog fans are mainly in it for the music. I know I am. The voice is just an extra instrument providing the melody line.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #944 on: August 12, 2015, 07:09:04 AM »
Exactly.  There are times when the words jump out at you and you can't really ignore them, but most of the time they're just a melody.  And of course, that's when there are vocals at all.