Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146201 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #805 on: August 28, 2014, 07:06:53 PM »
Also, a show at B.B. Kings in NYC has been announced.

Wtf, after all those years, now that I'm traveling to Germany to see them in Bochum, a month later they play in NYC!?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #806 on: August 28, 2014, 11:10:48 PM »
Ted just hinted on Facebook that they'll be doing a medley of SNOW tracks on the upcoming mini-tour in Europe, as well as some Nick-Era tracks. Looks like they'll be playing stuff they may have missed on the last tour or two.

-Marc.
I don't know much about their post-Neal setlists (or their setlists at all for that matter)..have they ever played Snow material since he left?

On the tour for Feel Euphoria, they played a good chunk of songs as they never got to tour on Snow for obvious reasons.

After that, though, I don't recall, but I've never been a huge investigator on their live sets outside of what they've released, and from the three live albums they put out with Nick, none of them featured Snow material.

They've done the "Snow Medley" a total of 18 times - 15 in 2003, 3 in 2006 - and the following single songs have been played:
Carie (4)
Second Overture (3)
I'm the Guy (3)
Reflection (3)
Wind at My Back (2)
Open Wide the Flood Gates (1)
Devil's Got My Throat (1)
Stranger in a Strange Land (1)
Looking for Answers (1)
Open the Gates, Part 2 (1)
Solitary Soul (1)

Other than those few performances of single songs and medleys, it's been over 8 years since SB has played any Snow-songs, but Neal has thrown in a few every now and then into his setlists. I hope we get a good medley this time around without a lot of cross-over from the last medley. As far as I am aware, these are the only songs that Spock's Beard has yet to perform from the album:

"Made Alive / Overture"
"Long Time Suffering"
"Welcome to NYC"
"Love Beyond Words"
"The 39th Street Blues (I'm Sick)"
"Wind at My Back"
"4th of July"
"Freak Boy"
"All Is Vanity"
"I'm Dying"
"I Will Go"
"Made Alive / Wind at My Back"

Over half the album has been played live, but they've been as few as one-time performances that I doubt we could hardly count them. The majority of the medley they played consists of only 8 tracks from the 2nd disc, and that's about it. I hope we get a good chunk of the 1st disc this time around.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #807 on: August 29, 2014, 01:29:52 AM »
Ted just hinted on Facebook that they'll be doing a medley of SNOW tracks on the upcoming mini-tour in Europe, as well as some Nick-Era tracks. Looks like they'll be playing stuff they may have missed on the last tour or two.

-Marc.
Good thing I got my ticket for the Budapest show.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #808 on: August 30, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »
That is pretty crazy that they've never played Wind at My Back, although I guess that is more of an iconic Neal song than Spock's.  I know Neal has played it quite a bit at his live shows over the years.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #809 on: August 30, 2014, 01:14:38 PM »
That is pretty crazy that they've never played Wind at My Back, although I guess that is more of an iconic Neal song than Spock's.  I know Neal has played it quite a bit at his live shows over the years.

Actually, after some brainfarts and recalling their Making Of Snow DVD, they did a couple acoustic concerts before Neal left the band where they DID play "Wind At My Back", as well as "Stranger In A Strange Land", "Open Wide the Flood Gates", "Carie", "Looking For Answers", and "Solitary Soul".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #810 on: August 30, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »

-Marc.
I don't know much about their post-Neal setlists (or their setlists at all for that matter)..have they ever played Snow material since he left?

On the tour for Feel Euphoria, they played a good chunk of songs as they never got to tour on Snow for obvious reasons.

After that, though, I don't recall, but I've never been a huge investigator on their live sets outside of what they've released, and from the three live albums they put out with Nick, none of them featured Snow material.

They've done the "Snow Medley" a total of 18 times - 15 in 2003, 3 in 2006 - and the following single songs have been played:
Carie (4)
Second Overture (3)
I'm the Guy (3)
Reflection (3)
Wind at My Back (2)
Looking for Answers (1)
Solitary Soul (1)

Other than those few performances of single songs and medleys, it's been over 8 years since SB has played any Snow-songs, but Neal has thrown in a few every now and then into his setlists. I hope we get a good medley this time around without a lot of cross-over from the last medley. As far as I am aware, these are the only songs that Spock's Beard has yet to perform from the album:

"Made Alive / Overture"
"Long Time Suffering"
"Welcome to NYC"
"Love Beyond Words"
"Wind at My Back"
"4th of July"
"Freak Boy"
"All Is Vanity"
"I'm Dying"
"I Will Go"

Over half the album has been played live, but they've been as few as one-time performances that I doubt we could hardly count them. The majority of the medley they played consists of only 8 tracks from the 2nd disc, and that's about it. I hope we get a good chunk of the 1st disc this time around.

-Marc.
Ah thanks! That's really interesting. A shame this album has never been played in its entirety. Neal should reunite with them to do it as a one off or something. Maybe get NDV in too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #811 on: August 30, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »

-Marc.

Carie (4)
Second Overture (3)
I'm the Guy (3)
Reflection (3)
Wind at My Back (2)
Looking for Answers (1)
Solitary Soul (1)

"Made Alive / Overture"
"Long Time Suffering"
"Welcome to NYC"
"Love Beyond Words"
"Wind at My Back"
"4th of July"
"Freak Boy"
"All Is Vanity"
"I'm Dying"
"I Will Go"

-Marc.
Ah thanks! That's really interesting. A shame this album has never been played in its entirety. Neal should reunite with them to do it as a one off or something. Maybe get NDV in too.

Given enough time and notice, I would save up months' worth of paychecks to fly out to Nashville or LA or drive up to NYC for a show involving Neal, Nick, Ted, Ryo, Dave, Al, and Jimmy playing all of Snow, plus a few encore songs (yes, even if they were "The Light" and "June"). It would be a dream come true and I would love to see them play it live. Honestly, though, I'm not sure if Neal would have time to relearn the WHOLE album just for one show, same with the band. It's a long and complex piece, and if they took the time to (re)learn the whole album, they should just go for a mini-tour, if not a full-blown 2-5 month tour. They could really make bank if they advertise well. Do a dozen shows in NA, a couple dozen in Europe, and make prog rock history. Do what Genesis hasn't and reunite with a 7-piece band to tour on the unplayed double album masterpiece. Give it some stunning stage visuals and videos and you've got a winner. Fans who haven't even really checked out Post-Neal SB or Post-SB Neal will probably come out of the woodwork for a reunion tour.

...But, I guess all we can do is dream, right?

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #812 on: August 31, 2014, 03:27:42 AM »
I think the biggest reason that this won't happen is the fact that Alan named Snow as his least favorite Spock's beard album, and the rest of the guys probably don't like it that much. I recall reading in an interview that they have too many bad memories of that time. If they ever do a reunion to perform an album in its entirety, they'd probably go with V.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #813 on: August 31, 2014, 04:08:00 AM »
I think you are really overestimating the potential crowd draw for such a tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #814 on: August 31, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »
I think the biggest reason that this won't happen is the fact that Alan named Snow as his least favorite Spock's beard album, and the rest of the guys probably don't like it that much. I recall reading in an interview that they have too many bad memories of that time. If they ever do a reunion to perform an album in its entirety, they'd probably go with V.

Really? It's my least favorite too and I still maintain that you can hear the contrived vibe and strain on that album.

As for NYC, have fun Nick. Monday night, BB Kings and Ticketbastard don't mix well in my world.

The Proghouse would have been a great venue for this.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #815 on: September 01, 2014, 07:03:24 AM »
I was a little disappointed we didn't get any Nick-era songs on the last tour, so I'm excited for those. A Snow medley would melt my mind!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #816 on: September 01, 2014, 08:01:40 AM »
I really like Snow, but it's halfway to a Neal solo album, sound and lyrics wise. It's probably the least SB sounding album.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #817 on: September 01, 2014, 10:03:58 AM »
I really like Snow, but it's halfway to a Neal solo album, sound and lyrics wise. It's probably the least SB sounding album.
I agree.  And in fact, although it has some of my favorite SB tracks, it is probably my least favorite Neal-era album.  It has about one disc worth of good stuff spread over two discs with a shit ton of filler.  Disappointing and unsatisfying, for my tastes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #818 on: September 01, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »
Yeah, there was a solid amount of mediocre to bad tracks on there. Had they whittled it down to one CD, they could have had a super-strong album. Then again, lyrics-wise it wouldn't have worked, since it was supposed to showcase the rise and fall of Jes .. err, Snow.
( I personally always interpreted Snow as Neal's answer to the question "what would a modern-day Jesus be like?")

Offline 1000ml

• > 32 oz
« Reply #819 on: September 01, 2014, 11:00:05 AM »
Could someone suggest a "Spock's Best" playlist for me?  I've got all their stuff, but I've not spent much time with it and I probably should - and I'm looking to listen to some different stuff.  And I like assembling playlists.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #820 on: September 01, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »
I would suggest album by album, not a random playlist.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #821 on: September 01, 2014, 01:09:10 PM »
I would suggest album by album, not a random playlist.

True, SB is a very album-oriented band. Sure, you COULD make a compilation/playlist of their stuff and to the uninitiated, they might sound all the same, but each album deserves a full listen to fully grasp what the band was working on and releasing at the time.

If you want something that's a collection of songs, get the Don't Try This At Home DVD. It's a great live concert with a bunch of songs from their first four albums. If you treat yourself to that, then listen to all of V and decide that you like them, go back and listen to the first four albums in their entirety, then tackle Snow.

From there, venture on to the Nick-Era where, you could listen to a live album (Live is a good one to start with) or just go through all four albums in order.

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #822 on: September 01, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »
I agree.  And in fact, although it has some of my favorite SB tracks, it is probably my least favorite Neal-era album.  It has about one disc worth of good stuff spread over two discs with a shit ton of filler.  Disappointing and unsatisfying, for my tastes.

Exactly. When hearing they'd be playing a Snow medley on the upcoming tour, my first reaction was one of wishing they weren't focusing on Snow. But really, the medley will likely be of the stronger moments on the album, and so I'm actually quite psyched about it if I decide to go see them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #823 on: September 02, 2014, 08:19:18 AM »
Could someone suggest a "Spock's Best" playlist for me?  I've got all their stuff, but I've not spent much time with it and I probably should - and I'm looking to listen to some different stuff.  And I like assembling playlists.

How long do you want the playlist to be?  Either way, here is a good breakdown which has a few from every album:

The Light
The Water
The Doorway
Walking on the Wind
Waste Away
June
Harm's Way
Flow
Distance to the Sun
Crack the Big Sky
At the End of the Day
The Great Nothing
Long Time Suffering
Solitary Soul
Wind at My Back
East of Eden, West of Memphis
Ghosts of Autumn
She Is Everything
The Planet's Hum
Skeletons at the Feast
With Your Kiss
Edge of the In-Between
From the Darkness
Jaws of Heaven
I Know Your Secret
A Treasure Abandoned
Something Very Strange

Start from there and you'll be in good shape. :hat

Offline 1000ml

• > 32 oz
« Reply #824 on: September 02, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »

How long do you want the playlist to be?  Either way, here is a good breakdown which has a few from every album:

The Light
The Water
The Doorway
Walking on the Wind
Waste Away
June
Harm's Way
Flow
Distance to the Sun
Crack the Big Sky
At the End of the Day
The Great Nothing
Long Time Suffering
Solitary Soul
Wind at My Back
East of Eden, West of Memphis
Ghosts of Autumn
She Is Everything
The Planet's Hum
Skeletons at the Feast
With Your Kiss
Edge of the In-Between
From the Darkness
Jaws of Heaven
I Know Your Secret
A Treasure Abandoned
Something Very Strange

Start from there and you'll be in good shape. :hat

Cool.  Thanks!  That list should fit in the remaining space on my phone.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #825 on: September 02, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »
And follow Marc's discussion on it ... if he ever starts!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #826 on: September 02, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
And follow Marc's discussion on it ... if he ever starts!!!

I'll get there, I'll get there. Life is always hectic for me between work and friends and keeping up with stupid stuff. I have some days off over the coming weeks so I'm sure I'll start my write-ups sometime soon. I will give away the rights to the SB Discography discussion, though, if someone else (perhaps more knowledgeable) wants to do it. I only offered because it seemed like no one else was willing to, and I felt like the band needed the exposure.

-Marc.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #827 on: September 03, 2014, 01:31:34 AM »
Setlist from yesterday in Zoetermeer:

Day for Night
Hiding Out
Harm's Way
Something Very Strange
In the Mouth of Madness
Snow Medley
Submerged
Skeletons at the Feast
Waiting for Me

Encore:
The Healing Colors of Sound
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Mladen

« Reply #828 on: September 03, 2014, 02:41:50 AM »
I'm slightly disappointed they went with The Healing colors of sound as the encore this time around, being that it's one of my lesser favorite SB epics. Something tells me the guys truly dig the Day for night album. The rest of the set is pretty damn cool, I predicted Harm's way making a return but Skeletons at the feast is quite a surprise. I'm really looking forward to the show next week.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #829 on: September 03, 2014, 05:32:17 AM »
I love THCOS, especially the last bit, and having seen them play The Great Nothng a few years back, I'm stoked for this show!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #830 on: September 03, 2014, 07:14:32 AM »
Setlist from yesterday in Zoetermeer:

Day for Night
Hiding Out
Harm's Way
Something Very Strange
In the Mouth of Madness
Snow Medley
Submerged
Skeletons at the Feast
Waiting for Me

Encore:
The Healing Colors of Sound

4 from the new one, 5 from the Neal era and only 1 from the Nick era? Not exactly career spanning. This setlist does not really excite me, but lowers the regret that I can't see them.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #831 on: September 03, 2014, 11:50:43 AM »
That's more than five from the Neal era, depending on how many songs they are playing in the Snow medley.  Interesting set list, regardless.  It's both interesting and odd that the current lineup has all but ignored the NDV-led era live; X was such a great record and deserves more live love.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #832 on: September 03, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »
The only defense I can muster for the lack of Nick-era stuff is that live albums were released after s/t and X, and they played X in its entirety on that album.  Granted, that makes the choice of Skeletons at the Feast kind of odd since that was on s/t Live.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #833 on: September 03, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »
That's more than five from the Neal era, depending on how many songs they are playing in the Snow medley.  Interesting set list, regardless.  It's both interesting and odd that the current lineup has all but ignored the NDV-led era live; X was such a great record and deserves more live love.

AFAIK, I've only seen "On A Perfect Day" and "Skeletons At The Feast" from them as far as the Nick-Era goes. I'd love to see them pull out some of the gems off Feel Euphoria, or the better bonus tracks from Octane.

The only defense I can muster for the lack of Nick-era stuff is that live albums were released after s/t and X, and they played X in its entirety on that album.  Granted, that makes the choice of Skeletons at the Feast kind of odd since that was on s/t Live.

True. During the Nick-Era, we got THREE live albums, and all successive too. The only album we didn't get a live album following was their first after Neal left, Feel Euphoria, which is why I would love to see them pull THOSE songs out instead of songs from the self-titled album.

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #834 on: September 03, 2014, 12:23:08 PM »
Yeah, I'd love them to perform some stuff from X, except for The Emperor's clothes, because that song is kind of a less exciting, expected choice. However, being that I saw that album in its entirety live, these are the songs from the remaining Nick-era albums that I would like to see at some point: Ghost of autumn, Carry on, She is everything, Climb up that hill, There was a time and All that's left. Also, if they decide to bust out the entire A Guy named Sid at some point, that would be pretty awesome as well. I think everything is possible with this line up, they've actually been picking some less obvious songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #835 on: September 03, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »
I think it's ironic that the last two albums are so good, but each had a song that was a bit of a clunker - The Emperor's Clothes and Afterthoughts - both of which were both clear attempts to sound like their old stuff, IMO.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #836 on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:37 PM »
I think it's ironic that the last two albums are so good, but each had a song that was a bit of a clunker - The Emperor's Clothes and Afterthoughts - both of which were both clear attempts to sound like their old stuff, IMO.

Both of which also had Neal in the writing credits. "The Emperor's Clothes" was an old demo Neal wrote during his time in SB, and I think Al decided to bring it out for the X album, while "Afterthoughts" was birthed from a writing session Al had with Neal in the fall before the sessions for BNADS started.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #837 on: September 03, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »
So they weren't really "attempts" to sound like their old stuff, they just did because Neal had a hand in writing them, and they were clunkers just because they were clunkers.  (Correlation <> Causation, etc.)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #838 on: September 03, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
I dunno and it may just be me, but I enjoyed both "Afterthoughts" and "The Emperor's Clothes" on their respective albums. In fact, there was at least one song on each album that I like(d) less than those, especially when they came out, like "The Quiet House" and "I Know Your Secret", both of which seemed a bit repetitive, especially TQH, but they both grew on me.

I guess in contrast to their 9th album and some of the tracks from FE and Octane, their tenth and eleventh albums felt like HUGe steps up and forward for me, so I came to enjoy them a lot more, and I still do, old-sounding or not, Neal or not, they're great albums with some great writing and performing. Coming out of the gate with Ted and Jimmy with BNADS made me so excited for SB12 not even two months after BNADS came out, just knowing these guys had an awesome sound and chemistry together. Now that they're in the middle of putting SB12 together, I have high hopes for it being contender for AOTY 2015!

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #839 on: September 08, 2014, 02:16:22 AM »
They added Beware of darkness and She is everything at some of the shows, according to setlist.fm.