Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146703 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
Cool

I really liked their self-titled so if this is even better, then awesome. :)

I do too, well more so now than at its release... but I am VERY hopeful for SBX! I wonder, if they reach a 15th album, will they title it XV?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
BUMP! Just an FYI to every Beard-fan here, I've started an SB Survivor in the Polls/Survivors forum, all in anticipation of the new album coming out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 08:25:10 PM »
Cool news.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »
BUMP! News from Dave - the album is finally mixed and is being shipped off to manufacturing and shipping! Pre-orders should start shipping the week of May 10th!

Also, the final two songs have samples up on their Myspace page - "The Man Behind The Curtain" and "The Emperor's Clothes" - as well as a few new YouTube videos!

-Marc.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 05:19:03 PM »
been meaning to check these guys out...going to start with snow

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 08:28:18 PM »
I only have Snow, but I think it's an awesome album.  However, I do agree with others who say it's a bit on the long side.  The first CD is pretty close to untouchable in terms of quality, but the second CD does drag a bit.  Still, a very solid piece of work. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 08:46:52 PM »
I'm listening back at all the samples on the band's myspace, and the ending of the sample (the last 30 seconds) to "Edge Of the In-Between" just leaves me with chills!!! Something about that build-up and the intensifying rhythms along with the Morse-esque resolve with a resounding synth line on top... it just sounds so good!

I really cannot wait for this album... This might be my 2nd most anticipated studio album of the year, next to the new Rush (assuming they release anything this year... if not, then SB might be tops for me!... unless I'm missing anything important... I don't think I am...)

-Marc.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 04:16:23 AM »
Live in Canada? Want Spock's Beard in your house?

Hello one and all!

As any of you who follow Spock's Beard know, our 10th CD "X" will be released soon. It has been hand delivered to the manufacturer and all of those pre-orders will be sent out very soon. We are very excited to get this music out into the world. The record turned out really well. It progs (is that a verb?...well it is now :)) it rocks and makes no apologies about it. HA HA HA! Really we had a lot of fun making this record and can't wait to play this music live, which is also coming.

Here is why I am writing this and it goes out to all of you in Montreal and Quebec.

I was thinking that it would be cool and fun to have a listening party or two. We could sit and listen through the new CD and talk about each song if you like, or listen down to the whole thing then talk. Then after that I could do a short acoustic set to finish off the night.

There are a few things about this idea though:

Some one will generously have to host this evening and needs to have a good sound system to listen to the music through. I don't not have the ability or place to do so myself here in Montreal. Also the person or persons who host the night will have to be OK with letting people into their home. I have done a bunch of "HOUSE CONCERTS" in the past and they are really fun and there have never been any problems. I think this could be a great way to get to know some of you Canadian fans and play some music as well. We can make it a pot luck where everybody who comes has to bring something to eat and drink. That way it is not all left to the host and then we can all party a bit.

We can definitely limit the number of people who can come. I have no idea how popular this idea will even be. It can be set up so something like the first 50 or 100 or however many people the host thinks they could handle would be able to come.

Here a wrench I have to put into this whole idea... As you all may or may not know I have a new gig with Cirque Du Soliel. The show I am in is called TOTEM and it is starting this week . The only night of the week I have off is Monday. A school night/work night is not ideal I know, but that is all I have.

I'd like to open this idea to both Montreal and Quebec City. Hopefully there will be enough interest to have one of these hangs in each place but lets see first.

So lets do this:
1. write to me at FACEBOOK   https://www.facebook.com/ndvirgilio
    Not on the wall. Send me a message so I can keep them all together.
    Let me know if you are interested in hosting a night like this.
    If I get enough interest and it looks like this could actually happen then we can work together to get the official invites out, set the date, and make it happen.

Let's take it from here. If it can happen then great. If not well then it was a nice thought.

All the best!!!

NDV

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2010, 08:47:50 PM »
Hey guys! So Dave has recently said that the albums are shipping from the manufacturer to Glenn (the merch guy for SB), and he'll be packing and shipping the albums out next week! Out of US orders will likely go first, so they arrive around the time US orders get to their mail boxes. If all the orders are sent out by late next week, we could have the album around May 17th/18th (or hopefully sooner)... it's so close I can taste it!

Also, I'm running my SB survivor in the Polls/Survivors forum, and would LOVE to have a few more voters in my Snow album survivor. We're in round 8 already, and down to the last 5 songs!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
*BUMP*

So, as of yesterday, Monday the 17th, orders for SBX have started shipping! Daily updates have been coming in from SB's merch guy, Glenn, who has shipped out all the Ultra Package orders (Non-US/International orders on Monday, US orders today), and will ship the remaining Non-US/International orders out tomorrow, and the rest of the US orders on Thurs through the weekend.

Hopefully people will start getting their albums on Friday/Saturday (outside the US), and definitely by Monday or Tuesday next week. I expect that by Tuesday the 25th, everyone who has ordered the album will have their copy! I'm so excited about this and haven't been this anxious for a pre-ordered studio album in a long time...this slightly edges the excitement I had for DT's BC&SL, although this time around, I didn't shell out the $$$ for the expensive version (i.e. like DT's fuzzy BC&SL boxset with all the extras)... somehow I kind of wish I had, though...

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 08:56:59 PM »
BUMP again...

So, did anyone else who pre-ordered the album get theirs yet? I've had mine since Friday evening, and have listened to it pretty much non-stop since I opened it.

Without giving too much away, I'll say that this is definitely the great SB album since Neal left the band, and quite possibly, tops some of the songs/albums released WITH Neal on them!!! All 8 tracks are amazing, and none of them feel weak to me at all... sure there are favorites, but the ones that aren't are still above-par post-Neal SB, compared to FE, Octane and SB.

Also, if you haven't read yet, there were problems with the CD manufacturer and they were shipped defective CDs, so when they made the albums, anywhere from 10-30% of the products that were shipped to Glenn (SB's merch guy) ended up with defects.

Read the main page of SB's website for more information on what to do if your disc is defective! It happens in the last minute of the last track - it'll skip and jump or totally stop. The defect is visually jarring, too, if you look at your disc, you'll see the edge is a bit scratched away. Replacements are being made and arrangements are being done to rectify this horrible accident! Make sure you thank Glenn (and also Dave) for their hard work on getting this problem solved! They're real troopers and they've kept fans updated via the SB forums!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »
So, if you still order the SE from their site right now for $19.99, do you still get the bonus track with all of the names and such?  Many reviews I have read are saying that that song is possibly the best one on there, so I would hate to pay 20 bucks for the CD and not get that song.  Either way, considering how positive pretty much all of the reviews for this have been, I might shell out 20 bucks for it. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 10:29:01 PM »
So, if you still order the SE from their site right now for $19.99, do you still get the bonus track with all of the names and such?  Many reviews I have read are saying that that song is possibly the best one on there, so I would hate to pay 20 bucks for the CD and not get that song.  Either way, considering how positive pretty much all of the reviews for this have been, I might shell out 20 bucks for it. 

I would go ahead and order it RIGHT AWAY, 1- because you'll get the limited edition with the track "Their Names Escape Me" and 2- you'll known you are personally financing the band and their efforts to record and release such wonderful music!

Also, it was said by Dave that they have signed a record contact to release the album at retail and that when that happens, a digital version will become available!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 10:33:26 PM »
I assume the problems with the CDs will be fixed for the ones ordered now, correct?  Assuming so, I will probably order this tomorrow.  I wasn't wild about their last two CDs, but heck, it is only 20 bucks, and reviews appear to be all positive, so why not?! :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »
I just ordered it yesterday!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2010, 11:01:33 AM »
Has anyone else received their copy of X yet?! I want to hear other DTF members' thoughts on this album (pun intended).

Also, my Survivor for Day For Night is well under way, so please check that out and vote! Thanks!

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
Has anyone else received their copy of X yet?! I want to hear other DTF members' thoughts on this album (pun intended).

Also, my Survivor for Day For Night is well under way, so please check that out and vote! Thanks!

-Marc.

Not yet. :'(
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »
Finally ordered my copy yesterday; looking forward to hearing it!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »

-Marc.

Not yet. :'(
I opened my mouth before I got home!!  I got it!!! :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 04:15:45 PM »
Ok, I listened to it times and this is the best SB's post Neil.  I love the Production, the mix, the songwriting.  What a great album and Jaws of Heaven is a home run.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »
10 days after ordering it, still no CD.  Color me disappointed.  :tdwn :tdwn

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
I haven't listened to SB in a long while. Time for V.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2010, 01:00:10 PM »
10 days after ordering it, still no CD.  Color me disappointed.  :tdwn :tdwn

If you read the messages on the SB forums, Dave (Meros) and the merch guy, Glenn, have been updating the board members about the problems with the CDs. Glenn recently said that he's just gotten more replacement copies to replace the damaged CDs from the first few shipments about 3-4 weeks ago, and is slowly double-checking emails for sending out all the replacements.
After those initial earlier orders go through, he's going to be catching up on the newer orders, so if you only ordered 10 days ago, he's probably not going to get around to it til next week.

I understand you're disappointed, but hundreds of fans pre-ordered 6-9 months in advanced, and when their CD arrived they found that the last 40 seconds would skip on their CD... how would you feel if you spent $200 on a pre-order only to receive a damaged disc? Trust me when I say that Glenn and Dave (and the band) have done/are doing all they can to fix the problem and have been really swamped with trying to fix all the older orders.

Also trust me when I say that the wait (be it 10 days or 3 weeks) will totally be worth it when you get the CD.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »
I understand all of that, and it sucks for them that that happened.  But I don't read the SB forum anymore, so, if new orders are gonna take longer than expected, they really should put that on the Buy Stuff page, so those of us ordering know that our order might take longer than usual to arrive, instead of just assuming those ordering will be aware of the whole situation.  Just my two cents. :)

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »
Thoughts Pt. II =  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2010, 01:58:28 PM »
I guess I was lucky because I got it a week after I ordered it and I've been spinning it every day.  Sorry Kev.  It will be worth the wait.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »
I got my copy through my brother (yay!), and I'm gonna try to give it a genuine listen this weekend. I would like it to be great really, but the late SB hasn't been too convincing to be honest.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 03:36:30 PM »
I got my copy through my brother (yay!), and I'm gonna try to give it a genuine listen this weekend. I would like it to be great really, but the late SB hasn't been too convincing to be honest.

rumborak

Very true Rumbo but this one might change your mind.  I think this is the best post Neil CD.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »

rumborak

Very true Rumbo but this one might change your mind.  I think this is the best post Neil CD.

I definitely agree. There were some shining moments on the previous three albums ("Ghosts Of Autumn", "A Flash Before My Eyes", "As Far As The Mind Can See", and a few others), but this album shines pretty much ALL the way through from start to finish! There are some Neal-like moments on this album, and the lyrics are a return to some of the band's more obtuse and quirky lyrics, but also being a bit more real and serious, and even personal, but still very clever.

I think the band has finally settled on what they have been moving toward since Neal left the band. Feel Euphoria was the band's experiment in lending everyone a hand in writing and contributing to the album since nearly all the music they recorded was Neal's, so I think they all had something they wanted to share and prove to us (the fans), and to each other within the band. Octane was a bit more cohesive, and having the 31 minute piece was definitely a way for the band to come together and meld, but the shorter songs lacked a bit of that. Spock's Beard saw them moving into more of the direction they sound most comfortable in, but again, some of the tracks were hits, and some were misses. On this, they finally find their feet and show us they can still pump out consistently good music!

And reading tons of reviews online, I find that some people gravitate to certain tracks and label them as favorites. The opening and closing numbers, as well as Nick's epic "From The Darkness" are, as far as I've seen, almost universally loved. Many reviewers have praised "The Quiet House", and it's growing on me, but I found it repetitive at first, so it was my least enjoyed song on the album (but it was still at a B-/B+ range). The other songs are generally well liked, especially Ryo's contribution, the instrumental "Kamikaze", which many fans and reviewers have said is the band's greatest instrumental (topping "NWC" and "Skeletons At The Feast"), and I'd be inclined to agree! "Their Names Escape Me" has to be one of MY favorites, and the lyrics work incredibly well with the concept of using the executive producers' names - it also helps that Nick puts on an AMAZING vocal performance. The other two tracks, "The Emperor's Clothes" and "The Man Behind The Curtain", both sound like they could've been pulled from The Kindness Of Strangers or Day For Night, which is entirely a good thing.

With all that in mind, I hope I'm not over-hyping or over-praising the album to the point of higher expectations... I don't want anyone to listen to this album expecting a masterpiece, but to listen with open ears and minds, and enjoy what the band has worked hard on over the last year and take it all for what it is - great music by four (and more) great musicians and writers.

-Marc.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »
The album is definitely growing on me. Emperor's Clothes is just awesome.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
Here's a bit of an issue I have with late SB: They can't keep a song up. That is, a song will have a great element, but then a different section will be less than mediocre. So, as much I love for example Emperor's Clothes for its verses, the chorus is plain lame.

rumborak

Offline Mladen

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2010, 05:53:10 AM »
The new album is great. My 4th favorite overall. I actually like the shorter tracks more: The Man behind the curtain, Their names escape me, The Emperor's clothes, The Quiet house... Good job by the guys, I'm truly satisfied.  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 05:00:14 AM »
While I still think the new album is amazing and have listened to it fairly regularly, I've gone back and visited Snow lately and have once again fallen completely in love with it. The whole thing is just an amazing journey full of great music! I think I've listened to it everyday for the last week or more!

-Marc.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2010, 06:41:06 AM »
I recently picked up the latest SB album and find it quite excellent. I think it may be the best non Neal album to date. If its not, its close. I liked the last album a lot, and I may just be liking this one more. The song where Nick reads the names of traitors to the nation gives me chills.

On a sad note, I saw the Beard in a huge Connecticut night club called The Webster in 07. The place holds about 1,500 people. The night they played I would guess there was only about 200 people in the club. I was bummed out for the band because it was one of only 2 scheduled U.S.dates. As I stood literally against the stage with elbow room, I couldn't believe this world class band had such a small following in my area. No wonder why a lot of prog bands don't bother touring the states. Sadly based on the turnout, I kind of knew I wouldn't be seeing them again anytime soon.
I'm still waiting for the return of Marillion who has not been here since Marbles tour 04.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline CardDinour

• Its Butters!
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2010, 01:25:13 AM »
Kev, glad you bought the album - hope you have heard it by now. I noticed there was no SB-X thread on here, but since Im very rarely on here, figured it wasnt worth starting one.

Snow and SB-X would be my favourite 2 beard albums easily. This one does not have a track worthy of skipping.

Edge of Inbetween, Kamikaze, The Quiet House, Their Names Escape Me, Jaws of Heaven are my favourites.  I know thats 5/8s of the album but so what.

I think musically, their names escapes me is amazing. I love the whole name section at the end as well, its super fun to sing along to.

Kamikaze is their best instrumental easily and almost as good as Erotomania :)

Great album, the beard never fail to deliver.
Originally Posted By Magical Man
We are a ****ed up generation
Its CardDinooooooooour!!